• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Well, I formatted my pc a while ago and I wanted to fire Dark Souls up again. I log into my windows live account an lo and behold: my save games are gone. I had two bosses left. Fuck this shit.

Sullichin

This SL1 run comes to an end. I killed Priscilla after many attempts, ran to the bridge area and used fire orb, since the bridge arch means she has to come through it, lobbing an orb in that direction made her visible immediately and then I just spammed 3 or 4 more and it was over. Gwyndolin was also a piece of cake using Fire Surge. But 4 Kings was just going to be too much test of my patience in retrying and skill, I tried a couple of times but really don't want feel like investing the time in all the retrying and running back. Hats off to those who have done it, especially unupgraded etc, you guys are amazing.

Definitely try Soulhouf's recommendation. 4K was the hardest part of my SL1 run, but even at SL1 you can tank them. If you're using FAP then you can't use lingering dragoncrest, but if you already did painted world, you can trade snuggly the xanthos crown and get another FAP ring after the fight. I'm pretty sure I used iron flesh on them actually, and that was after the patch...so you can try that too, but power within is a better choice.

Gravelording in Ooacile on PC is working out far better than expected. Getting plenty of blue and red invaders, and I've confirmed that some of them have seen BP enemies in their world. There's a BP Bloated Head Sorcerer before the first elevator.
Sometimes it turns into a bit of a shit show when I get another invader in the middle of a fight. Sometimes they'll hang back, sometimes they'll fight me or the other invader. If the latter, I hang back and let the invaders fight. Sometimes some giantdad douche or dark magic spammer will see two people fighting and rush both of us hoping for an easy kill. This almost always backfires on them. That's the closest I come to ganking. Also when you gravelord, it's not as easy to rest at a bonfire and refill your casts... not the most ideal situation for pyro character. <3 anyone who drops me eyes of death.

I don't mind when I get invaded by giant armor using lightning zweihander builds or some of the typical katana or mage setups. They are often too eager and reliant on static strategies and walk right into an unlocked great chaos fireball lava pool or my fire whip. It's usually the people with more unusual builds that pose more of a threat and make for more interesting fights. Of course I've eaten my fair share of dark beads sunlight blade uchis.
Speaking of fire whip I love it in PVP.
45DEX/Winged Spear +15 / rotten pine resin / Gold Tracer or Black Bow of Pharis +15 as my secondary
Great Chaos Fireball, fire whip (or chaos fire whip), Fire Tempest x2
Ascended glove, dusk crown ring, bellowing dragoncrest, wolf ring. 54 poise so I can tank a hit while fire tempest'ng.
I do a spear jab or two, the enemy will think I'm spamming R1, especially since my spear is coated in poison and it would make sense to want to fill up their meter, and try to parry, and then they get a face full of fire whip. Yeah I could use BF or GC there but that's no fun. It's also good to do unlocked so it's a bit harder to get backstabbed, and it seems to cover more horizontal range than gc/bf. I even like chaos fire whip, which I never see used in PVP probably because it takes two slots and because everyone likes to spam BF/GC, but the extra lava trail can trip people up. This is probably my favorite PVP character. It doesn't get old, I can easily mix up the pyro spells I have attuned and use different dex weapons. It sucks that you can only gravelord in an area where you haven't beaten the boss, though.

oracrest

This SL1 run comes to an end. I killed Priscilla after many attempts, ran to the bridge area and used fire orb, since the bridge arch means she has to come through it, lobbing an orb in that direction made her visible immediately and then I just spammed 3 or 4 more and it was over. Gwyndolin was also a piece of cake using Fire Surge. But 4 Kings was just going to be too much test of my patience in retrying and skill, I tried a couple of times but really don't want feel like investing the time in all the retrying and running back. Hats off to those who have done it, especially unupgraded etc, you guys are amazing.

You'll be back ;)

But really, 4 kings isn't too bad. I used a fully upgraded lightning reinforced club, and could kill them really quickly. Get the crest shield so you can stay close during the aoe attack, and R2 them into submission after they do their forward sword attacks. Each one goes down in just a few hits this way.

Also, practice running past all the enemies to their gate to save time. I usually have to block the first dark wraith, but the rest you can swerve around easily.

Sullichin

You'll be back ;)

But really, 4 kings isn't too bad. I used a fully upgraded lightning reinforced club, and could kill them really quickly. Get the crest shield so you can stay close during the aoe attack, and R2 them into submission after they do their forward sword attacks. Each one goes down in just a few hits this way.

Also, practice running past all the enemies to their gate to save time. I usually have to block the first dark wraith, but the rest you can swerve around easily.
I got so good at rushing to the boss, I think I can do it blindfolded. But that's just because 4K wreck me for a while on any challenge playthrough I do :p

Wow, gotta hate (and love) the RNG in this game... Beating O&S at SL1 without upgrades with the no-healing rule is almost impossible. No matter what weapon I choose the AI always seems to either hang back and wait for my camera to be obscured for a Smough charge or Ornstein lightning zap from behind Smough. Or they just uber aggro and don't give me a inch. Guess I just need to keep running it until the stars align...

Any recommendations for weapons/gear/rings using this rule set, I'm all ears.

Edit: Currently using;

-Gear = Naked
-Rings = Favor+Red Tearstone
-Weapons = Hammer of Vamos (for Ornstein) Giant Blacksmith Hammer (for Smough), tried a Light Crossbow and it doesn't do shit, 28dmg on Ornstein WITH Red Tearstone and heavy bolts.
-Shield = Grass Crest on my back at all times.

I can end Smough fast, but when dealing with Uber Ornstein I'm barely making a dent with my strongest weapon, barely visible depletion on his health bar with R2's. :( So if I can find a way to kill Orns first, Smough shouldn't be too bad.

are you dead set on killing smough first?

i think it would be much easier to circle backwards around the arena and hit ornstein with a fireball or black fire bomb when possible. (unlesss this is a no-pyromancy or no-item run, too?) if smough gets too close, keep circling and dodging until ornstein either becomes separated from him, or you have a pillar between yourself and smough.

then smough solo is a piece of cake.

4kcwu8y.jpg

:D

I gave it one last go after reading Soulhouf's post and I got literally one hit away from killing them when the fourth King hit me in the back whilst healing and the third one was vanishing, so I knew I could do it. It took another 6 tries but I finally did it!

I used Havel's set minus the helmet as the full set was giving me the DeS 5-2 animation when you're not wearing the ring in the swamp.

Equipped: Havels set minus head, Dusk crown, bellowing ring, crest shield+5, Fire reinforced club+9 (haven't placed the lord vessel yet so couldn't get the slab), combustion (more uses than great combustion), power within.

Went into the fight used power within then replaced the Dusk Crown for the Painted Guardian hood for more magic defense.

Edit: Nito also down now. He's a pussycat and hates Great Combustion :3

Soulhouf

I gave it one last go after reading Soulhouf's post and I got literally one hit away from killing them when the fourth King hit me in the back whilst healing and the third one was vanishing, so I knew I could do it. It took another 6 tries but I finally did it!

I used Havel's set minus the helmet as the full set was giving me the DeS 5-2 animation when you're not wearing the ring in the swamp.

Equipped: Havels set minus head, Dusk crown, bellowing ring, crest shield+5, Fire reinforced club+9 (haven't placed the lord vessel yet so couldn't get the slab), combustion (more uses than great combustion), power within.

Went into the fight used power within then replaced the Dusk Crown for the Painted Guardian hood for more magic defense.

See? :D
When there's will there's a way.
Anyway, well done sir, that's the hardest boss in SL1. Now you can beat the game.

I am at 17 humanity, 322250 souls just from helping with
Sen's Boss.
I should probably spend this stuff at some point!
Go buy large titanite shards with that.
Don't keep all these souls on you when you go through Anor Londo because you'll probably loose the at some point.

ParityBit

Go buy large titanite shards with that.
Don't keep all these souls on you when you go through Anor Londo because you'll probably loose the at some point.

Use some of that 17 humanity to kindle some bonfires too, heavy used ones like the Parish, Anor Londo, Firelink etc if you haven't already.

OK thanks for the advice! :)

Quick question, if you summon an NPC to help you fight, and you (or them die) and fail the boss fight, can you summon them again? Or is it one and done?

ParityBit

How many shards do you guys think I should buy? I was going to try and make it to the
Queen spider lady
to get my glove raised .... and maybe get rid of some of this humanity ....

Sullichin

Nice job!

How many shards do you guys think I should buy? I was going to try and make it to the
Queen spider lady
to get my glove raised .... and maybe get rid of some of this humanity ....

Quelaana ascends the glove, she's located in the swamp leading up to Quelaag. Upgrading your pyro glove is always a good idea. Maxing it out is expensive. You need 9 large titanite to bring a weapon from +5 to +10, so it depends on how many weapons you want to upgrade. Large titanite can be farmed though.

chunk3rvd

Do you have a spare ring slot and a ring of sacrifice? It's only a 5-10 minute journey to Quelana using the shortcuts but if you're worried about losing your stash then give that a try

Also, check the wiki beforehand to see how many souls you need to get your glove to +5 and spend the rest on large shards and green moss with the merchant in Sen's first. if you still need any pyromancies from Quelana or Eingyi then maybe save all your souls and try and buy everything from them in the one journey

Edit: beaten quicker than pinwheel!

sixghost

Zweihander is perhaps the strongest weapon in the game.
It seems crap at first when you 1 hand it but it completely change to a monster in berserk mode when 2 handed.
It only requires 16 str to 2H and with a quality build you have ~600 AR that you can buff. Combine that to its strongest stun ability in the game and you obtain an OP weapon even for NG+7.

It's funny because you can get that weapon before any other.

Can you explain what a "quality build" is? I've seen that phrase a few times since starting to read this thread again.

Raide

OK thanks for the advice! :)

Quick question, if you summon an NPC to help you fight, and you (or them die) and fail the boss fight, can you summon them again? Or is it one and done?

Just remember it can be a bit annoying if you die over and over, since you have to burn Humanity to get back your human form and then summon them. Make sure you always have a few handy, else you have to go farming. :D

On a side not to this. Made a Pyro using the Zweihander and damn its fun. Both bells done, Orns and Smo downed and got the Lordvessel. Just a quick question regarding that
For the Darkraith Covenant stuff, I cannot talk to Frampt right? I Think I need Sif down, then off to the Londo Ruins right?

ParityBit

Do you have a spare ring slot and a ring of sacrifice? It's only a 5-10 minute journey to Quelana using the shortcuts but if you're worried about losing your stash then give that a try

Also, check the wiki beforehand to see how many souls you need to get your glove to +5 and spend the rest on large shards and green moss with the merchant in Sen's first. if you still need any pyromancies from Quelana or Eingyi then maybe save all your souls and try and buy everything from them in the one journey

Edit: beaten quicker than pinwheel!

My glove right now is +6. I have a +9 Iaito, +7 Uchigatana, +5 Spider shield and I am running around in basic Crimson Suit.

What is the quickest way to get to Quelana from the top of Sen's? I wish I could upgrade my glove in the main camp .... but some reason
Hes no longer there!
I figured a good way to burn some of these souls is to raise levels in my covenant. Not sure what I will get. Heh

On a side not to this. Made a Pyro using the Zweihander and damn its fun. Both bells done, Orns and Smo downed and got the Lordvessel. Just a quick question regarding that
For the Darkraith Covenant stuff, I cannot talk to Frampt right? I Think I need Sif down, then off to the Londo Ruins right?
Yeah, once you get the lordvessel don't talk to him.

Seanspeed

Banned
I am at 17 humanity, 322250 souls
At your point in the game, thats probably an uncomfortably large amount. Spend it immediately man, for real, or else you run a good chance of losing it all and wasting all that time. And the more souls/humanity you get, the more tragic it'll be losing all of it, so you probably shouldn't stick around there any longer unless you plan on spending what you earn ASAP.

There's other places you can farm for souls very quickly/easily. Buy a bunch of upgrade stuff and use the rest to level your character. You could get like 60 large titanite shards and still have a lot left over for stat increases. And if you've gone through the Catacombs,
you can put that humanity to very good use

As for getting to the bottom of Blighttown from where you're at:

- Cage shortcut down to beginning of Sen's.
- Head back into Undead Parish and take the lift shortcut in the church to Firelink Shrine.
- Go down to New Londo Ruins.
- Take the quick shortcut through Valley of Drakes into Blighttown and just follow the ladders back down to the bottom.

Sullichin

Hm, now my controller keeps turning off every time I block/get hit. The batteries are pretty new. Almost lost 4 million souls because of it...

ParityBit

As for getting to the bottom of Blighttown from where you're at:

- Cage shortcut down to beginning of Sen's.
- Head back into Undead Parish and take the lift shortcut in the church to Firelink Shrine.
- Go down to New Londo Ruins.
- Take the quick shortcut through Valley of Drakes into Blighttown and just follow the ladders back down to the bottom.

Awesome thanks! I am going to pick up a bunh of shards, then head down to spend the humanity. I will pick up a couple of levels too, and some upgrades to my glove. I will wait until tomorrow when I am more awake. Wish me luck!!

ArynCrinn

Banned
are you dead set on killing smough first?

i think it would be much easier to circle backwards around the arena and hit ornstein with a fireball or black fire bomb when possible. (unlesss this is a no-pyromancy or no-item run, too?) if smough gets too close, keep circling and dodging until ornstein either becomes separated from him, or you have a pillar between yourself and smough.

then smough solo is a piece of cake.

I'm just dead set on beating them under this rule set. No healing, no upgrades, melee only (no magic or pyro). Not that pyro is very helpful anyway with a non-upgraded flame even with Red Tearstone...

But thanks for the help, my hunch is I'll just have to keep running it until everything falls into place.

But I'm actually more comfortable with evading and fighting Uber Ornstein, I just don't do much damage to him and he catches me eventually, but I got 3/4 of his health last night. But if I can get Orns first the Giant Hammer should make short work of Smough.

sixghost

I'm just dead set on beating them under this rule set. No healing, no upgrades, melee only (no magic or pyro). Not that pyro is very helpful anyway with a non-upgraded flame even with Red Tearstone...

But thanks for the help, my hunch is I'll just have to keep running it until everything falls into place.

But I'm actually more comfortable with evading and fighting Uber Ornstein, I just don't do much damage to him and he catches me eventually, but I got 3/4 of his health last night. But if I can get Orns first the Giant Hammer should make short work of Smough.

That's odd, I've never heard of anyone who thought Ornstein was the easier second phase.

ArynCrinn

Banned
That's odd, I've never heard of anyone who thought Ornstein was the easier second phase.

I kind of want to do it for bragging rights too. :p

But yeah, I'm better for some reason at dodging Ornstein's attacks when he's super and staying to the side or under him, moreso than avoiding Smough's charge attack...which I suck at. For whatever reason I'm better at gauging the distances for Super Orns than Smough.

oracrest

Good job, red! You even beat him within the day. I am down to just Manus and Gwyn now. I realized I skipped over painted world entirely, so I went there and cleaned house.

I haven't killed kalameet, but I'm not sure if I will this run. I actually haven't defeated him at all yet, and I might be biting off more than I can chew. I suppose I could kill Gwyndolin too. I feel like I'm cheating if I skip over any of the bosses in the run...

2AdEPT

Good job, red! You even beat him within the day. I am down to just Manus and Gwyn now. I realized I skipped over painted world entirely, so I went there and cleaned house.

I haven't killed kalameet, but I'm not sure if I will this run. I actually haven't defeated him at all yet, and I might be biting off more than I can chew. I suppose I could kill Gwyndolin too. I feel like I'm cheating if I skip over any of the bosses in the run...

I find that crossbows really help during the gwyndolin fight...taste of own medicine!!!

Pollux

It took a long, long time. But this game is finally starting to click. In the last few hours I beat my first black knight, the Taurus Demon, the Tower Gargoyles, and the Capra Demon. I'm still dying, but the game is finally fun. If that makes sense. Currently level 30 and using the Black Knight Sword. Will tackle the Depths tomorrow or later this week.

It took a long, long time. But this game is finally starting to click. In the last few hours I beat my first black knight, the Taurus Demon, the Tower Gargoyles, and the Capra Demon. I'm still dying, but the game is finally fun. If that makes sense. Currently level 30 and using the Black Knight Sword. Will tackle the Depths tomorrow or later this week.

Perfect sense. There was certainly a moment in Demon Souls when it 'clicked' for me. It was when trying to carefully make my way down in 2-1 to the boss. I found myself smiling at the sense of adventure.

Good luck with the depths.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Got some more progress on SL1 char today. Oolacile Township took much longer than expected. Getting potentially one-twoshotted by those bloatheads and dark magic made the place suddenly seem super threatening.

I'm done the areas now, and got all the drops I wanted from the abyss (Black flame, freed Sif, etc). I only have Manus and Kalameet left.

I'm terrified.

Got some more progress on SL1 char today. Oolacile Township took much longer than expected. Getting potentially one-twoshotted by those bloatheads and dark magic made the place suddenly seem super threatening.

I'm done the areas now, and got all the drops I wanted from the abyss (Black flame, freed Sif, etc). I only have Manus and Kalameet left.

I'm terrified.

Good luck with Kalameet. I think it'll be relatively easy, because any mistakes tend to f you up anyway even if you are high level.

But it will take forever.

oracrest

Prepare to fall in love.

Once the game "clicks" for you, which every player seems to go through, it only grabs you deeper and deeper. Before you know it, you may even be trying challenge runs, and covering all the little secrets you missed first time around.

Good job on Capra! I remember he was a tough fight due to the cramped space and those damn manhammers he loves to swing at you.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Just a update on the O&S SL1 no healing, no-upgrade, melee only challenge. I DID IT, Ornstein was killed last!

Using the exact same load out I put up earlier, but I just used the Giant Hammer through the whole fight. The key was after killing Smough, I just went in and stayed directly in front of Ornstein and punished his recovery with a R2 or stayed underneath him and wailed away with R1's.

Oh, and I also broke the Favor Ring and swapped it for the Cloranthy, which was the key I was missing beating Uber Ornstein. My recoveries were just too slow with the hammer and I was getting caught (after stamina was depleted I couldn't roll away fast enough), so the faster regen helped a lot. Still probably took me a good 30 or so tries. But done. Probably one of my top five personal accomplishments in Souls.

Edit: Game could seriously use a "Theater mode" like Halo or whatnot. Take note modders!

I find that crossbows really help during the gwyndolin fight...taste of own medicine!!!

I'd also recommend a +15 Light Crossbow for Kalameet, it's what I used with a +5 Lightning Reinforced Club+Red Tearstone. Probably the best setup for a SL1.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Damn, that's really impressive. Did you make a video of it? Love watching Dark Souls videos of stuff like this.

No, I wish I could have but on my laptop especially in boss fights the frame rate tends to drop to 26-24fps (while recording), which would have just added to the immense frustration. Plus, it would have been too much pressure, someone could have whispered when Orn's health was 3/4 and my heart would have exploded, controller was covered in sweat. :p I don't think I could have handled if the frame rate dropped or something, I would have gone insane and given up. Hence why this desperately needs a Theater mode built-in!

I actually don't think the Four Kings should be this bad, with the Giant Hammer at least. Nito scares me though since I'm not allowing downgrades and will have to deal with skeletons the whole time, without healing... :(

Edit: Oh, and on a side note I turned Anor Londo dark and promptly lost over 200,000 souls to the asshole Knights in the main hall. xD

Raide

Is the Greatsword of Artorias (Cursed) worth making?

Also trying to avoid Frampt, so I have to down the Four Kings now. Never actually battled them before, so any tips? Currently on my Zweihander Pyro. :D

Also trying to avoid Frampt, so I have to down the Four Kings now. Never actually battled them before, so any tips? Currently on my Zweihander Pyro. :D

Stamina will be the key. If you can equip or use items to boost it, you can just keep swinging.

If you intend to use summons for the 4 Kings and not solo, look for people that look like magic users (dusk crown, catalyst holding etc), they'll blow through the 4 Kings in no time. Or if you use magic yourself, even better, get some tanks instead :)

Raide

Stamina will be the key. If you can equip or use items to boost it, you can just keep swinging.

I have 1 +14 Zwei currently and I have just got the Cloranthy Ring. Wondering if I need to element up my weapon. I think I would need to +10 something else and then convert it. I can do the Zwei to Lighting but it seems like a big drop in damage.

I have 1 +14 Zwei currently and I have just got the Cloranthy Ring. Wondering if I need to element up my weapon. I think I would need to +10 something else and then convert it. I can do the Zwei to Lighting but it seems like a big drop in damage.

Stick with the +14. Can always use resin if you want the sparkles.

Either way you will wreck them.

Soulhouf

Zweihander+14 will obliterate anything. I can't think of anything better seriously (other than Zwei+15).

Raide

Zweihander+14 will obliterate anything. I can't think of anything better seriously (other than Zwei+15).

I got hold of an Uchi and its now +4 Fire. Seems to be handy for quick hitting monsters but the Zwei is just so much fun to smash things with. :D

Since I want to try and get the Darkstalker stuff, does the Duke's Archive etc open up once I talk to Kaathe, like it would normally when I place the Lordvessel?

oracrest

Up close and personal is the way to go.

You could also benefit from a high magic resistance shield, like the Crest Shield. I'd say don't forget to wear the covenant of artorias ring, but falling down accidentally without it is a must for every player at least once.

Since I want to try and get the Darkstalker stuff, does the Duke's Archive etc open up once I talk to Kaathe, like it would normally when I place the Lordvessel?

Yep, you'll be fine.

Booshka

I made a Crystal +5 Zweihander for the hell of it. Ridiculous damage. I waited until the Crystal +4 version broke, then upgraded to +5. I've also made a few Crystal Demon weapons, Demon Great Axe, Demon Great Machete, they both get over 700 AR at Crystal +5, and they have extremely high durability so you can get a lot of use out of it.

It's actually feasible to use Crystal +4 ( they are stronger than +15) Demon weapons for PvP, if you keep farming for chunks to make more +4 Crystal weps, you are bound to get a Slab drop here and there to +5 the ones you break.

Alright I'm up to Ornstein and ?Smough? or however you spell their names. Should I double back and grab the very large ember so I can upgrade my Washing Pole or Uchigatana up to +15? Or maybe there is another weapon I should build from the bass souls? I'm not sure about my full stats But my vitality is at 30, endurance is 30, dexterity is 30, and strength is at level 20. I'm not sure I'm ready to take these 2 guys on with just a +10 Washing Pole.

Top Bottom