• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

oracrest

I know that feeling, good job! The hardest magic attack for me to dodge was the attack where you have to time the dodges going backwards. Looks like Kalameet and Gywn is all that's left for you.

My experience with the heart pounding moments is my wife's annoying cat comes out of nowhere and starts purring and rubbing up against me at the worst moments, also jumping into my lap. He knows!

Yeah, I am wondering if I should try to kill Kalameet. I never killed her in my main playthrough, although I tried many times.

I suppose I could give it a few goes, but I just really don't know her attack set well at all. :/

ParityBit

Is there anything special I need to do if I want to run from my steam account on my PC vs laptop? I want to see how it runs on my lappy.

Meaning saved games, etc?

oracrest

Is there anything special I need to do if I want to run from my steam account on my PC vs laptop? I want to see how it runs on my lappy.

I believe saved games on Dark Souls don't save to the cloud, so you will have to copy over the data files vis USB or something similar.

ParityBit

I believe saved games on Dark Souls don't save to the cloud, so you will have to copy over the data files vis USB or something similar.

OK nevermind! Ill stick with just on my main machine :) Thanks.

Hopefully people will summon me. I am hanging out waiting to be summoned!

KarmaCow

That would awesome I'll try that out. Although it sort of ruins my Darkwraith hopes for this character, but if all else fails that would be cool.

Can't you still get Kaathe to appear as long as you don't talk to Frampt? I thought the point of no return was siding with Frampt which means talking to him.

Mileena

Banned
iVivZZ1.png

signed on to see this lol

GFWL players keepin it classy

Sullichin

yes sir, though I've been going through NG+ to unlock Township too

I'm gravelording in the parish now in ng++. as expected i'm getting a lot more low level griefers than blue phantoms coming from my sign but hopefully I'm making someones NG+ interesting somewhere. It's pretty funny killing these low level jerk invaders but it's getting kinda old. I'll be in the burg soon, I don't have township unlocked on ng++ yet

A couple of small NPC things I noticed on my latest run:

1. Don't think I've ever spoken to Lautrec enough times before to see that he offers to sell you some information similar to how Petrus does. It was 2100 souls and about how Rhea was lost down in the Catacombs.

2. I thought Domnhall only appeared under Firelink once you had killed Gaping Dragon? Or is it just going to the Depths, speaking to him there and back out again? Haven't killed Gaping yet and he was under the aquaduct.

Also, I was trying to get a Channeler's Trident early, so I left both Parish and Depths Channelers until I'd rang both bells and could get the serpent ring from Sen's. No luck on either of them, and I didn't even get a drop from Kirk either - I really like to get the Barbed Sword from him in the Depths, it's a really good low-level PvP weapon for me. Damn drops!

Sullichin

1. Don't think I've ever spoken to Lautrec enough times before to see that he offers to sell you some information similar to how Petrus does. It was 2100 souls and about how Rhea was lost down in the Catacombs.

2. I thought Domnhall only appeared under Firelink once you had killed Gaping Dragon? Or is it just going to the Depths, speaking to him there and back out again? Haven't killed Gaping yet and he was under the aquaduct.

Also, I was trying to get a Channeler's Trident early, so I left both Parish and Depths Channelers until I'd rang both bells and could get the serpent ring from Sen's. No luck on either of them, and I didn't even get a drop from Kirk either - I really like to get the Barbed Sword from him in the Depths, it's a really good low-level PvP weapon for me. Damn drops!

Domhall shows up if you ring the blighttown bell. I didn't even go to the depths yet this cycle but rang both bells and he's in firelink

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
After 3 nights of trying, I finally took down Manus. Once I figured out his magic attacks, it was doable. My heart was pounding so hard when he was just down to a few hits to go!

991CBD4B-0372-4CA3-BF0E-B1C0907A55B0-20421-000005E039F4D69C.jpg
Nice! I'm still chipping away at him. I seem to do a bit better against him each day - I think I got him down to ~30% health today. I mostly seem to die either to magic, his huge combo attack (I don't think I'm getting away fast enough most of the time) or I roll into a rock or something.

Did you summon Sif?

I swap between my computer and my girlfriend's computer, and I've found it *sometimes* works on the steam cloud. It's more reliable to throw it on a USB key, though. Nothing like playing for a few hours at home, heading over, and then finding your character from somewhere in the past.

Ugggggggggggh, fuck Games For Windows.

I can't for the life of me sign into this service - it keeps giving me invalid username/password bullshit. I know my account info, because I've signed into xbox.com 20 times now.

Does Steam ever give refunds? I opened a ticket hoping they will.
GFWL has my eternal hate for repeatedly keeping me away from Dark Souls PC until I got it working (DAYS and countless hours researching later)
Forums tend to ask you to open ports and whatnot, so if you haven't done that, then try that first. That didn't work for me, though.
What DID work for me, and I didn't find this anywhere, was to open a browser window, log into Xbox Live through the browser window, then open Dark Souls with the browser window still logged in. Then it SOMEHOW decided let me sign in. I don't have to do this anymore but that's how it worked for me for the first few days I could FINALLY PLAY THE GAME I PAID FOR

I still can't summon or be summoned in the game, though I can see player messages. Seriously. GFWL is fucking shit and honestly a bigger obstacle than any part of Dark Souls.

oracrest

Nice! I'm still chipping away at him. I seem to do a bit better against him each day - I think I got him down to ~30% health today. I mostly seem to die either to magic, his huge combo attack (I don't think I'm getting away fast enough most of the time) or I roll into a rock or something.

Did you summon Sif?

I just did it solo. All melee, and no help. His berserk attack is rather easy because he always does his roar beforehand.

He raises his hand for the enclosing magic attack, so start rushing him and land an R2 attack at the same time. His forward magic attack is telegraphed by him tucking in and his big arm glowing. You can side roll away from that. His other one where the shots reign down, I just got lucky with those.

Akuun

I just did it solo. All melee, and no help. His berserk attack is rather easy because he always does his roar beforehand.

He raises his hand for the enclosing magic attack, so start rushing him and land an R2 attack at the same time. His forward magic attack is telegraphed by him tucking in and his big arm glowing. You can side roll away from that. His other one where the shots reign down, I just got lucky with those.
Ah, okay. Thanks for those tells - I delayed my necklace because I thought I was going to get hte enclosing attack and then ate the forward magic attack a while back. By the time he is doing magic, I'm so tense I'm fumbling between the estus and the necklace. :p

His berserk attack is indeed obvious, but I'm usually caught in the recovery of the club R2. I think I'll just need to react faster or play it safer.

2AdEPT

A risk breaker's job isn't easy, is it? :p (the Holy Win, holy shit. Oh memories...)

@I H8 Memes:
Did you visit these places?
Ariamis
Oolacile

@ParityBit: active humanity increases your defense and resistances in addition to increased drop rate. So it's a good idea to keep them as long as you play carefully so that you don't loose them (use the Ring of Sacrifice to your advantage).

he wont have fought gwyndolin either.....i suggest either choosing to side with gwyndolin or fighting him and/or going to dukes archives first.....you can choose to raise your magic or faith and start applying the heavier buffs to your washing pole!!!! This means you will have to go to catacombs first. The hidden worlds you are missing require you to find items which will allow you to seee new entry points that were inaccessable withoutt he items present in your inventory....you can look them up if you want as most people will never notice them otherwise.

and I didn't even get a drop from Kirk either - I really like to get the Barbed Sword from him in the Depths, it's a really good low-level PvP weapon for me. Damn drops!

I think it is a guaranteed drop now if you don't get it first time it will come on the 2nd or 3rd for sure...always have the ring and fulll humanity if you want the drop early. Even if you get teh shield first you then have a better chance of getting the sword 2nd.

Continuing my SL1 run:

Seath - Went down in 5 seconds. Dusk crown, bellowing ring + Great Combusion.

Centipede Demon - I hate this boss at the best of times. I find wherever I fight it the camera goes nuts, and especially ape shit if you stay at the fog door, which I was going to do here since I didn't want to risk the lava at all. First time I summoned Solaire and got eaten! Second time I solo'd it and learned to dodge it's attacks a bit better and killed it quite easily with Reinforced Lightning Club+5

Bed Of Chaos - Someone here said to two hand the Eagle shield, this worked like a charm. I did the old quitting to menu trick after taking out each root, but did this first time - this is probably the one boss where level really makes no difference as long as you've got a decent shield.

Sanctuary Guardian - Don't know how far I can really make it in the DLC areas, but I know this bosses patterns pretty well, it's also a really fun fight IMO. I died once, but then decked out in stamina regen gear (ring, shield and mask) for all the running/rolling and the Orstein leggings and dingy robe for lightning defense. Didn't get the tailcut unfortunately.

I am going to try Artorias, but if it's just too much hassle I will go for Gwyn instead and call it a day. This is the furthest I've got on a SL1 run, so I'm pretty pleased to be at the end of the original game even if I can't do the DLC, but will give it a go!

JRW

I still have yet to experience an invasion after 90+ hours, Can it happen in any location while human or is it just specific areas? (PC ver)

ParityBit

I still have yet to experience an invasion after 90+ hours, Can it happen in any location while human or is it just specific areas? (PC ver)

I have been invaded in the parish and Sen's a lot. Since I joined the sunlight Bros I spend a lot of time in other people's games helping them repel the invaders.

Hellcrow

Enjoying Anor Londo so far. Didn't really have a problem with the archers at all. Just walked up with constant speed, and the arrows all missed. Enjoyed the two blood stains I found right by the right archer, both of them people falling to their death.

However, I accidentally hit Sigmeyer. I guess that did save his life though, as the silver knight I lured out almost killed him.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Can't you still get Kaathe to appear as long as you don't talk to Frampt? I thought the point of no return was siding with Frampt which means talking to him.

Well the issue is I'd have to place the Lordvessel to access the DLC. And if you jump down the hole to place it yourself both Frampt and Kaathe will call you a fool and say you're not the chosen Undead. :p

I think most people agree that it's easier to kill Smough first...but I guess it also depends on your playstyle.

Heh, just to help confuse I would have thought Ornstein is by far the easier choice to kill first ;)

He goes down quicker and Smough can be picked off relatively easily if you have a ranged weapon.

SJRB

Gold Member
So, who do I kill first? Ornstein or Smoug?

Super Smough is easier to cheese, since you can basically kite him around a pillar. So if you want it easier, take out Ornstein first.

You can only purchase the armor of the one you killed last. Ornstein's armor is cooler, but the stats are not really interesting and it cannot be upgraded.

ParityBit

Is there any way to know what fires you did not kindle? I have 35 humanity but i have a feeling i will loose it if i do not spend it

pringles

I completed the Artorias DLC, was a little bit shorter/easier than expected to be honest. Though I'm lvl140 on NG+, maybe I'm 'overleveled'. Manus gave me the most trouble, but I beat him on the 5th try after realizing I could summon Sif which helped just enough with getting Manus attention of me long enough to heal every now and then.

Really liked the new areas, enemies and bosses.

Now I only need one more titanite slab, and a couple of annoyingly hard to get rare weapons and I have all the achievements.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Continued:

Ceaseless Discharge = Done the long way, but easy enough to do. Red Tearstone from fall damage before the fight makes it less tedious.

Iron Golem = Took the damage for Red Tearstone to kill him in record time. But can anybody explain to me why the hell he didn't fall off the bridge, seems like I was damaging and hit him enough... :\

Sif = Just roll through everything and beat him like a dog, no shield or anything else needed. The awkward positioning the Reinforced Club swings put you in almost guarantee a eventual Red Tearstone activation.

Gwyndolin = Easy as always, have no idea why I got stuck with a needle for like the first time in forever, but otherwise like a glove. With Ring of Favor you can tank his large magic blast to get Red Tearstone activated and kill him in two meetings tops.

I had the most awesome set of duels with this Japanese guy. 4 times he invaded me. He was playing really conservatively, stayed behind his shield most of the times. Moved well. Poke and go back behind the shield. First time I got my ass handed to me, didnt even get a hit on him.

Second time I managed to hit him once just before I died. Not much but at least it told me it wasnt lag and he wasnt cheating.

Third time I managed to land a flurry early on and had him down to like 10% health while I was nearly full health. I got over aggressive, lost most of my health. Switched to Pyro to see if I could get through the shield. Nope. He managed to whittle me down. I died when he was almost on his last breath.

Fourth time I decided to be patient. Really, REAAAAAALLLLLLLLLY patient. I would let him poke, stay behind my shield and only take a shot every now and then. After a few minutes he got careless. I managed to whittle down his health again to less than 20%. And he went back to his poke tactics. This time I didnt get over aggressive. Didnt use Pyro. Just stayed VERY patient. Finally managed to get a hit in that killed him when I had about 20% health left.

The last fight lasted almost 10 minutes. I felt like I needed a smoke and a drink by the time it was over. o_O

Akuun

His other one where the shots rain down, I just got lucky with those.
Damn, I'm getting killed by that one all the time because the rain seems to run long enough for Manus to do another attack. I'm usually still sitting in my bubble and then I get melee-ed.

Edit: FUCK YEAH I got him! You weren't fucking kidding about the heart rate thing. For the rain attack, it seems you can pendant most of the rain, then sideroll the last bit of it so that you can avoid any follow-up melee attacks.

Thanks for the tip about the forward magic blast + being able to sideroll it. That saved my ass. First time I siderolled, I caught the tail end of it because I was too far away. Later on, I siderolled at close range and got out unscathed.

Uh, is there a way to make the image auto-resize or does GAF do that on its own? Edit: Thanks.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Ornstein and Smough = No shielding, no damage and most importantly no healing. Took me about 15 minutes to get this done, roughly four or five tries. Once I got a rhythm on Ornstein it was over. Trapping Smough is a lot easier than actually fighting with him, which is probably why I'm still more comfortable with Super Ornstein. :p

Upgrades kind of made this a joke compared to my no upgrade run.

Sullichin

Ornstein and Smough = No shielding, no damage and most importantly no healing. Took me about 15 minutes to get this done, roughly four or five tries. Once I got a rhythm on Ornstein it was over. Trapping Smough is a lot easier than actually fighting with him, which is probably why I'm still more comfortable with Super Ornstein. :p

Upgrades kind of made this a joke compared to my no upgrade run.
Nice job!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Anyone know if this is a glitch or a hack or something you can legitmately do (I don't think it is...). This dude managed to curse me when I invaded him in the burg. Two wrath of the gods like magic attacks a hit and i'm cursed OHKO. This happened twice so he was definately doing it on purpose (of course he also attacked while I bowed so he was hardly an honourable person). frustrating when you go up against these people. I don't mind backstab fishing since you can punish that fairly easily but i don't even know what to do against that aside from leave which I may not be able to do if I spawn right next to him.

Sullichin

Anyone know if this is a glitch or a hack or something you can legitmately do (I don't think it is...). This dude managed to curse me when I invaded him in the burg. Two wrath of the gods like magic attacks a hit and i'm cursed OHKO. This happened twice so he was definately doing it on purpose (of course he also attacked while I bowed so he was hardly an honourable person). frustrating when you go up against these people. I don't mind backstab fishing since you can punish that fairly easily but i don't even know what to do against that aside from leave which I may not be able to do if I spawn right next to him.
just some moron using cheat engine. Thankfully i havent met many hackers- the worst I've run into were stat fakers or people with infinite health, but there's nastier hacks like the curse out there now. I also heard that its now possible to de-level someone. I'd just black crystal out or alt+f4 if he's too close, and turn on save backups in DSfix. It's too bad these fools have no chance of being banned from GFWL.

SJRB

Gold Member
The Dark Souls Design Works interview translated by Giant Bomb users here, in four parts: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4.

Very insightful for us who can't read japanese.

edit: whoops

Thanks for this. I ordered the Design Works 1,5 months ago and it STILL hasn't arrived. I'm pretty sure it's shipping from the moon. I mean, it has to.

oracrest

Damn, I'm getting killed by that one all the time because the rain seems to run long enough for Manus to do another attack. I'm usually still sitting in my bubble and then I get melee-ed.

Edit: FUCK YEAH I got him! You weren't fucking kidding about the heart rate thing. For the rain attack, it seems you can pendant most of the rain, then sideroll the last bit of it so that you can avoid any follow-up melee attacks.

Thanks for the tip about the forward magic blast + being able to sideroll it. That saved my ass. First time I siderolled, I caught the tail end of it because I was too far away. Later on, I siderolled at close range and got out unscathed.

Uh, is there a way to make the image auto-resize or does GAF do that on its own? Edit: Thanks.

Nice! congrats :)

I took down Kalameet today. The first time ever, and as a SL1! I would say he is about as hard as Manus. It took me the same amount of time to figure him out and get lucky enough to take him down

92CDE2A1-A6A6-4DDB-96CB-5B656BF81568-22908-00000690F4486EBE_zps43662547.jpg

Top Bottom