• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

I've been farming a few red chunks today, it's got to be one of the worst to farm since you can't buy it and there are only 3 or 4 of those freaky eye-tentacle monsters in the whole level, and using the Kiln isn't any faster.

Sullichin

That would be great, thanks. I haven't been into the painted world yet to get the soapstone but I may give it a shot in the next day or two and come back to you if that's ok?
sure
I've been farming a few red chunks today, it's got to be one of the worst to farm since you can't buy it and there are only 3 or 4 of those freaky eye-tentacle monsters in the whole level, and using the Kiln isn't any faster.

the kiln is definitely faster, the second black knight has a 100% drop rate of it.

I just entered the Oolacile Santuary for the first time, never played the DLC parts before. I almost forgot to go too, I was already on my way to the Kiln haha.

Anyway, I was prepared for the worst, but I slapped the Guardian all over the place. Looking forward to exploring the rest tomorrow.

I found the Guardian ridiculously easy as well, but the boss following that one took me about 10 tries.

Really fun fight, though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
For those of you who found the Sanctuary Guardian easy: How much poise did you have? How good was your shield?

My first experience in the DLC was with a shieldless character with no poise, and the Sanctuary Guardian beat the shit out of me for the longest time. I'm still fairly scared of it today. I imagine a few of the DLC bosses are less intimidating when you can block some of their stuff.

ArynCrinn

Banned
For those of you who found the Sanctuary Guardian easy: How much poise did you have? How good was your shield?

My first experience in the DLC was with a shieldless character with no poise, and the Sanctuary Guardian beat the shit out of me for the longest time. I'm still fairly scared of it today. I imagine a few of the DLC bosses are less intimidating when you can block some of their stuff.

Agreed. Rolling a low level character on this boss can be a test, I find it somewhat more challenging than Artorias honestly. Always timing the roll backwards for up close became my strategy, and punishing the air gusts. But damn those large lightning balls can seem to come out of nowhere... Also the spin when going for the tail can piss me off.

2AdEPT

How do I get to this item in Sen's Fortress? Loving teh Lightning Spear btw :)

Also, there is a hole in the floor with a ladder that goes nowhere, and a stack of boulders going down the hole. Is there any point to this area?

you answered your first question with your second one!

you answered your first question with your second one!

When I went down the ladder there was a dead end though :(

Will go exploring in a minute, got a few areas to try

Great Hollow
New Londor (
undrained
, don;t think I have any weapons that can actually kill the ghosts)
Demon Ruins (not strong enough yet)
Anor Londo
Down from Firelink Shrine

Where do I go to turn my Broadsword into the Greatsword of Artorias? I love how the Lightning Spear takes down the Balder Guards with one light attack

Hellcrow

Summoned some help for O&S. Ended up with a guy that killed them with like 3-4 spells taking 500 damage each. Was he hacking? My sword does less then 100 on them with a normal attack. Atleast I've learned not to summon recklessly.

Anyways, tried to join the forest covenant. As a human. Bad bad idea. Ended up with two blue dudes and a ghost ganging up on me and destroying me. Also, killed my first invader right before! Must have been lag or something, because I only needed to keep attacking until she died.

Summoned some help for O&S. Ended up with a guy that killed them with like 3-4 spells taking 500 damage each. Was he hacking? My sword does less then 100 on them with a normal attack. Atleast I've learned not to summon recklessly.

Anyways, tried to join the forest covenant. As a human. Bad bad idea. Ended up with two blue dudes and a ghost ganging up on me and destroying me. Also, killed my first invader right before! Must have been lag or something, because I only needed to keep attacking until she died.

I had few souls and got invaded next to a bonfire, and some knob with a hook/scythe type weapon was hitting me through my shield somehow. Nothing I could do about it :(

Spells are very OP. That isn't unusual at all if you boost them right up and have the right rings and such.

I had few souls and got invaded next to a bonfire, and some knob with a hook/scythe type weapon was hitting me through my shield somehow. Nothing I could do about it :(

Yeah they work a treat ;)

Sullichin

Great Hollow
New Londor (
undrained
Anor Londo

Where do I go to turn my Broadsword into the Greatsword of Artorias? I love how the Lightning Spear takes down the Balder Guards with one light attack
There's a secret involving the boulders in that area.
You can make the greatsword of artorias in the area after sen's fortress, but it's pretty underwhelming unless you have high stats

Doesn't sound like hacking, magic is really strong

It was probably the shotel. Its R2 attack does damage through shields.

Spells are very OP. That isn't unusual at all if you boost them right up and have the right rings and such.

Yeah they work a treat ;)

Any idea what weapon he was using? Looked like the scythe from Manhunt

fake edit: Sickle, that's the word I wanted

real edit: Hmm, think I have a shotel in my inventory. Guessing it has some massive drawback, like rubbish durability or upgrades

Any idea what weapon he was using? Looked like the scythe from Manhunt

fake edit: Sickle, that's the word I wanted

Most likely a Shotel or possible a great scythe or something else with bleed damage. You will face a few enemies in the game who do it to you too and they can be nasty if you are unprepared.

real edit: Hmm, think I have a shotel in my inventory. Guessing it has some massive drawback, like rubbish durability or upgrades

Yeah poor upgrades stat/scaling so it gets outclassed unless you are really big on the shield negation attack

2AdEPT

Great Hollow
New Londor (
undrained
Anor Londo

Hmmm...where do the boulders go after they go down the hole?? I suggest you go down the ladder beside the hole....watch carefully at least 3-4 boulders and see where they go AFTER they go down the hole....when you come back out of the hole after your analysis things may become more exposed?

Go whereever you want, the key prizes and order you want them shoyld push you in the best direction for you. MOst people suffer without +15 weapons too long...I would go to new londo to get the very large ember. Just bust a few jars at the start and use transien curses to kill ghosts with teh weapon of your choice. If you bring that item in the picture you posted earlier and have lots of humanity in you tickerthe ghosts will continue to drop curses for you to kill them with.

Dont bother withteh greatsword of artorias....it is a waste of time effort, and upgrade materials.

The particular part you are talking about is the ladder that just goes down into the boulder pit? I dont think there is anything down there and from what I understand you already went through the hole in the wall that is created after the boulders fill the hole.

Spoilers ahead on how to complete this and get to the bonfire. I'm only pointing this out because I think this bonfire is a little too difficult to find and placed unfairly. You would be very lucky to find it at all before a mini boss fight. And if you lose the mini boss fight then you have to make your way through the fortress all over again.

What you need to do is go through the left hand path just before the boulder pit and make your way to the boulder launcher and change its direction. Make it go down the immediate slope that you take to approach the boulder launcher. That will kill the sleeping snake guard after a couple of boulders but also open a hole in that wall too. Travel down there and familiarize yourself with this now opened area.

Then make your way back up to the boulder launcher and point it outside. Facing the outside area go through the boulder path to your left. Not the normal path to your left, you want the second path to the left that the boulder would normally take. I believe it goes a short distance then turns left. At the very first opportunity to drop off the right hand side of this slope do so. There should be planks and a snake sorcerer down there. After you kill the snake sorcerer continue past him and I think that is where the item you are looking for is.

After you get the item do not go out the hole in the wall. That leads down to a very tough fight against 3 or 4 titanite demons. You need the Rusted Iron Ring before you can go down there and fight the Titanite Demons.

Go back to the boulder launching room and again facing the outside hole go to the left on the non boulder path. This will lead to the last 2 of the walkways with blades. Once you have successfully cleared these areas go up the steps and through the fog gate outside.

Now heres where it gets slightly tricky. You will be facing the creature that is loading the boulders. Ignore him. Facing that creature there are stairs that go up at your 9 o'clock position. You need to go up those then up the next set of steps in front of you. If you go up both sets of steps immediately and quickly you should make it safely, but you can also take your time and be very patient. Since you are familiar with the area I would suggest taking your time. To your right there is the edge of the roof but the middle part is crumbled away. Fall over the edge of the roof to the only bonfire in Sens Fortress.

Now you are free to farm, or finish Sens rooftop, and eventually the titanite demons below when you have the Rusted Iron Ring starting from this rooftop bonfire.

Cheers, I've killed the boss, found the bonfire and been to and back from Anor Londo (without exploring it at all)

When I first entered the fortress I fell down into the area with the Prowling Demons, killed one, accidentally ran into the gate-giant at the top of the ladder and used a homeward bone. Is there any reason to go down there other than for Demon Titanite? Also, can you buy Homeward Bones? I've used one too many lol

I think Solaire may be dead :(

A shieldless character? I can see how that would be a bother! Really only for his physical attacks though - lots of dodging would be needed - he has that one headbutt atttack that knocks you down, a shield is helpful there, his other 3/4 slashing attack is easily dodged just by walking back or rolling. His lightning attacks are all easily dodged with rolling. If you can dodge Gwyndolyn's magic attacks, these feel the same.

After my SL1 run, I fought him again last night with my dex-ish character and I died first time but again second time won. For me this fight is about patience and picking your moments. Whenever I die it's because I got greedy trying for an extra hit or tried getting a hit in instead of healing. Waiting for certain attacks and just dodging others is the way to go.

SL1 run I used Grass shield, this dex character is SL40 atm, and I used a Silver Knight Shield. I like stamina regen items if I have them in this fight because his melee attacks can really drain your bar, there's a lot of blocking so every little stamina regen helps.

Also, can you buy Homeward Bones? I've used one too many lol

I think Solaire may be dead :(
A few vendors sell homeward bones - the female undead merchant in the aquaduct, the blacksmiths I think.

Why do you think Solaire is dead?

chunk3rvd

Was that yesterday near the forest bonfire and was the weapon doing lightning damage? If so, that may have been me :/ Love to use that as a 2nd weapon. When people start turtling to my washing pole I switch to the shotel and hit them through their shield. Most people don't expect it and it usually puts them in a panic that leads to a mistake, then death

Another of my favourite invasion tactics is Dung Pies and Lloyds Talismans. Get people toxic and then when they make a futile attempt to heal, rush them down for a few quick sword strikes. I'm such a dick at times haha

A few vendors sell homeward bones - the female undead merchant in the aquaduct, the blacksmiths I think.

Why do you think Solaire is dead?

He was vanquished in a boss battle, and disappeared from his spot in the Undead Burg

The bonfire in Sen's Fortress is a great place to farm, around level 60 at least, and especially with the Serpent Ring equipped. 4,300 souls from

1 Serpent Mage
3 Balder Knights (1 Rapier)
1 Elite Crossbow Knight
1 Heavy Knight (w/ Mace)
1 Giant

All you need is a good shield and a few arrows, and there's a vendor in the middle. Also, you get a few Large Titanite Shards.

I tried using the Shotel and Iato, but I can't handle the amount of damage they do comoared to my Broadsword+10 and Lightning Spear+3. Upgraded the Shotel to +5 to see if its any better for me, since I had a ton of Titanite Shards.

How long does it take to get a helmet better than the Stone Helm? Even though it can't be upgraded, it still destroys all my other helmets in all 4 main stats

Also bought the Lightning Defense Ring so I can get through the Valley of Drakes on the way to the Great Hollow and New Londo without spending a ton of arrows. I'm guessing that the Drake's lightning will still destroy me, even with the Eagle Shield, but worth a try :p

@chunk3rvd, nah, it was in Sen's Fortress. When I got invaded in the forest, I carried on shooting at the massive cat things and got backstabbed and booted over the edge of the little cliff. It looked awesome, and made me very excited for the rumoured Share feature on the PS4

edit: damn, think I can't get the Washing Pole. I joined and left the Forest Covenant before going to Blighttown :(

chunk3rvd

Don't worry, Solaire is OK. Now that you've reached Anor Londo he's moved on in his adventure but you'll cross paths again soon. NPC phantoms can die as many times as you like in boss fights and their story will still continue

Also, you can still get the washing pole and other items from Shiva. You may need to request absolution from Oswald in the bell tower before you can rejoin the coventant though

My advice is to meet all your Shiva related needs in one run. Start out by looking at what you want to purchase from him on the wiki and save the souls up, using the forest hunter glitch if needed. Once you have those, head to the guy in the bell tower to remove your sin then head to the forest and rejoin the covenant. Check that Shiva and his bodygaurd are outside in the forest and if so, head down to Blighttown to buy his weapons. The reason I suggest doing this all in one run is because once you've bought all of the weapons you need off him you can kill him and his bodygaurd there in Blighttown to get the ninja flip ring and the other items they drop. Once you have killed them both you will need to absolve once more if you want to resume PVP as a forest invader

Yeah don't worry about NPC phantoms - it's just like when you are a white phantom and die, you return to your own world, same with NPCs - their human forms can die, but their summoned phantoms can be summoned as many times as you need.

Bought the Washing Pole :)

For some reason I didn't have to Absolve my sins to get Avina to offer me the chance to rejoin the Covenant. I just talked to her after killing the hunters

cjsnapp

Neo Member
I'm not sure if other bosses do something similar but I almost felt bad finishing off
Sif when he starts limping when his health is almost completely depleted.
I thought the little detail was a nice touch.

Currently downloading Dark Souls off Steam, aside from Durante's god send mod (that goes without saying), what other mods out there that are essential/can improve the overall visual quality of the game ?

Not really interested in stuff that change boss colors to neon green or other purely cosmetics additions, but more mods that enhance the game and make it an almost decent PC port
I'm still gonna load the game unmodded for the first time to experience the badness first hand

chunk3rvd

No problem. I have 22 chunks and a red slab for you as long as we can connect through shitty GFWL

Managed to grab the red sign today so would appreciate taking you up on this if we can get a chance. I'll be around for the next 3 hours so let me know if you're about and if not we can try and arrange something through the week when you're free. Thanks :)

Currently downloading Dark Souls off Steam, aside from Durante's god send mod (that goes without saying), what other mods out there that are essential/can improve the overall visual quality of the game ?

Not really interested in stuff that change boss colors to neon green or other purely cosmetics additions, but more mods that enhance the game and make it an almost decent PC port
I'm still gonna load the game unmodded for the first time to experience the badness first hand

Probably check out http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/top/

Sullichin

Managed to grab the red sign today so would appreciate taking you up on this if we can get a chance. I'll be around for the next 3 hours so let me know if you're about and if not we can try and arrange something through the week when you're free. Thanks :)

I'm on now, you can send me a message on GFWL or steam, same as my username here

What kinda settings do I need to turn on/off to achieve 60 fps with a a 3570K/GTX670 combo at 1080p ?

Is that goal even realistic because I tried turning everything off besides the resolution of course and my framerate dips to the 40s-30s when the intro boss swings his hammer.

One last thing, is there away to activate v-sync or you have to live with the tearing if you want high framerate ?

At 72 hours, and still haven't beat the game. (Although really close -- just finishing up the new content areas, and then the final area.)

I don't think I've ever had a game entertain, challenge, and surprise me for this long.

KarmaCow

It took me all evening but I finally got down to the blight town swampy area. Any advice for the boss?

It's pretty simple just try going in blind but if you do want tips.

-When the human torso starts to hunch over, get some distance.
-Try to stay close to it or it will spray lava everywhere making it hard to get to safe spots.
-When it starts swinging, stick to the left and on top of it. Every swing will miss.
-Avoid hanging out near its back. It can do an attack with its ass that does a ton of damage very quickly.

Pollux

Thanks for the advice guys. Got my ass kicked a few times and decided to call it a night. I'll pick it up again tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice guys. Got my ass kicked a few times and decided to call it a night. I'll pick it up again tomorrow.

You can summon a helper for that boss outside the door too which makes the fight a lot easier.

Otherwise fire protection plus a lightning buffed weapon will do the trick.

Ziek

At 72 hours, and still haven't beat the game. (Although really close -- just finishing up the new content areas, and then the final area.)

I don't think I've ever had a game entertain, challenge, and surprise me for this long.

Totally agree and I'm only about 10 hours in. I love how Dark Souls is a game you 'beat' instead of 'finish'. You can 'finish' Skyrim but you 'beat' Dark Souls.

EDIT: Not knocking Skyrim. I liked it for what it was. Dark Souls seems refreshing from the 'modern' gaming experience.

Totally agree and I'm only about 10 hours in. I love how Dark Souls is a game you 'beat' instead of 'finish'. You can 'finish' Skyrim but you 'beat' Dark Souls.

EDIT: Not knocking Skyrim. I liked it for what it was. Dark Souls seems refreshing from the 'modern' gaming experience.

Man, at 10 hours I had barely even made it out of the Undead Burg...(of course an accidental deleted save, and about an hour or two of trying to kill skeletons didn't help). You have no idea the kind of stuff waiting for you as the game progresses. I've spent the 72 hours being continuously amazed at everything the game keeps throwing at me. Enemy variety, awesome enemy design, incredible locales to explore, and tons of depth to the gameplay and combat.

I don't even want to finish it. Even though going through the game multiple times is going to be awesome, this is really one of those where you can never truly replicate the magic of playing it through the first time (I would assume). Where I'm rather close to finishing (maybe 5 hours or so?) I'm finding myself wandering around and not progressing the main areas because I don't want it to end. Of course, there's always plenty to do, so that's never an issue.

To be fair, finishing Skyrim is much harder than anything that Dark Souls throws at you.

Ziek

Man, at 10 hours I had barely even made it out of the Undead Burg...(of course an accidental deleted save, and about an hour or two of trying to kill skeletons didn't help). You have no idea the kind of stuff waiting for you as the game progresses. I've spent the 72 hours being continuously amazed at everything the game keeps throwing at me. Enemy variety, awesome enemy design, incredible locales to explore, and tons of depth to the gameplay and combat.

I don't even want to finish it. Even though going through the game multiple times is going to be awesome, this is really one of those where you can never truly replicate the magic of playing it through the first time (I would assume). Where I'm rather close to finishing (maybe 5 hours or so?) I'm finding myself wandering around and not progressing the main areas because I don't want it to end. Of course, there's always plenty to do, so that's never an issue.

I just defeated the
Capra Demon
. At this point, the
Capra Demon
fight is only my second quarrel with the game. I felt as though the arena was poorly designed. It took me about 20 tries before the boss glitched
at the bottom of the stairs
, which I discovered, afterwards, through Google searches, is quite common. My the first quarrel is the online. Players are reluctant to help. They only want to invade, and they invade with cheap tactics. Every player that has invaded me is nearly unstoppable or uses poisons and dodges/is immune to all my attacks. I'll just stay undead for the remainder of the game.

I ventured a bit further into the next area,
The Depths
. I'm not looking forward to it. I've always hated places like it in video games. Although, one of the best features in the game keeps me from avoiding
The Depths
: the ghosts of other players. What an excellent design choice. Sometimes it really sinks in that I'm alone in this world. It's refreshing to see another player's ghost. I know that someone, somewhere, is trapped in
The Depths
with me.

Hellcrow

So, went in blind on the bosses in darkroot gardens.
First two bosses in this game I've killed on the first try. The fairy thing caught me by surprise. My melee based character was not pleased, but after some dodging, fireball throwing and healing the butterfly decided to land. I wacked it dead right on the spot. Sif had a bit more obvious entrance. However, I quickly found out that staying extremely close made him miss. Just dodge, wack wack wack, shield and wait. However, the Hydra had me for breakfast.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I ventured a bit further into the next area,
The Depths
. I'm not looking forward to it. I've always hated places like it in video games. Although, one of the best features in the game keeps me from avoiding
The Depths
: the ghosts of other players. What an excellent design choice. Sometimes it really sinks in that I'm alone in this world. It's refreshing to see another player's ghost. I know that someone, somewhere, is trapped in
The Depths
with me.
That side of the online functionality is great. Another few neat things about it:

- Every time you hear the bell ring for no apparent reason, that's a real player who just rang the bell in their game.
- If you see a dead body that looks all crystallized, that's a real player who suffered an unfortunate fate.
- Sometimes blood pools near bonfires show ghosts of people rage-suiciding now that they've reached a bonfire.

That side of the online functionality is great. Another few neat things about it:

- Every time you hear the bell ring for no apparent reason, that's a real player who just rang the bell in their game.
- If you see a dead body that looks all crystallized, that's a real player who suffered an unfortunate fate.
- Sometimes blood pools near bonfires show ghosts of people rage-suiciding now that they've reached a bonfire.

Ha, I wondered where those cursed bodies were coming from. I destroy all of their corpses :D

I died from it yesterday, wonder if my body is still there

Are you referring to 100% completion?

No just putting up with it enough to get through the game at all. And yes I am having a go at Skyrim :)

Players are reluctant to help.

To be fair around launch on the PS3 you would often get multiple helpers for every boss if you wanted it. Even then that boss was very hard to get somebody to help with. Remember it can take a long time to get summoned, and there isn't much to do there whilst you wait.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is the bed of chaos supposed to be a terrible boss fight? That was a terrible boss fight.

Also, is pinwheel supposed to be incredibly easy?

FUCK

Attacked Shiva after buying all of his items, he switched to two-handed and one-shotted me when I was at like 2/3 health. Gotta go all the way back to the forest to get his drops now :(

Great Hollow next

Top Bottom