• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Booshka

Alright I'm up to Ornstein and ?Smough? or however you spell their names. Should I double back and grab the very large ember so I can upgrade my Washing Pole or Uchigatana up to +15? Or maybe there is another weapon I should build from the bass souls? I'm not sure about my full stats But my vitality is at 30, endurance is 30, dexterity is 30, and strength is at level 20. I'm not sure I'm ready to take these 2 guys on with just a +10 Washing Pole.

You can make the strongest katana in the game with Quelagg's boss soul and a +10 Katana at the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo, you should be fine with a +10 weapon though, especially a bleed weapon. Your stats are good too, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. After you beat them it will be a lot easier to get to where the Very large ember than having to backtrack all the way.

Seanspeed

Banned
Alright I'm up to Ornstein and ?Smough? or however you spell their names. Should I double back and grab the very large ember so I can upgrade my Washing Pole or Uchigatana up to +15? Or maybe there is another weapon I should build from the bass souls? I'm not sure about my full stats But my vitality is at 30, endurance is 30, dexterity is 30, and strength is at level 20. I'm not sure I'm ready to take these 2 guys on with just a +10 Washing Pole.
Everything seems fine equipment and stat-wise. Whether you're ready or not is a different question. ;)

I could give a few tips, but you should try it a few times first just to see what you're in for.

ParityBit

So I am working my way back to Blighttown to upgrade my pyromancy flame. I have +6 right now.
What do I need to do to get to +15? I heard in passing I need to get a parasite egg or something? Unfortunately Laurentius is no longer at the dead fire in Firelink for me!

Sullichin

So I am working my way back to Blighttown to upgrade my pyromancy flame. I have +6 right now.
What do I need to do to get to +15? I heard in passing I need to get a parasite egg or something? Unfortunately Laurentius is no longer at the dead fire in Firelink for me!

You have to bring it to +15 first -
after where you rang the second bell, if you go down the stairs there's an illusory wall. Talk to the egg head guy there and answer yes to his question. He will let you upgrade your flame.

and then you can ascend it to +5
When your glove is at +10, Quelaana will appear in the Swamp in blighttown, she's sitting down next to a pillar. You can upgrade from +10 -> +15 here, and 'ascend' the flame further to +5 once it's at +15. She also sells better pyro spells than Laurentius.

ParityBit

You have to bring it to +15 first -
after where you rang the second bell, if you go down the stairs there's an illusory wall. Talk to the egg head guy there and answer yes to his question. He will let you upgrade your flame.

and then you can ascend it to +5
When your glove is at +10, Quelaana will appear in the Swamp in blighttown, she's sitting down next to a pillar. You can upgrade from +10 -> +15 here, and 'ascend' the flame further to +5 once it's at +15. She also sells better pyro spells than Laurentius.

Thanks! I spent all my souls, got ascend+5. Not sure what that does, but cost a lot. I also bought 40 large shards and upgraded my two katana's to +10. I could not afford any spells from her, nor could I raise my level at all. So maybe I will go back and farm.

One other thing
I have 24 humanity. I know for the Chaos Servant you need to give some up. How many should I and what do I get?

I just now found out what all of those "Soul of a Brave Warrior" items are for. I don't know why I've just been ignoring them up until now. Keep em in the bank or spend them before this boss fight? :D

Booshka

Thanks! I spent all my souls, got ascend+5. Not sure what that does, but cost a lot. I also bought 40 large shards and upgraded my two katana's to +10. I could not afford any spells from her, nor could I raise my level at all. So maybe I will go back and farm.

One other thing
I have 24 humanity. I know for the Chaos Servant you need to give some up. How many should I and what do I get?

If you donate 30 humanity you get a shortcut that cuts out a large area of the late game, and an AoE Pyromancy that shoots up plumes of fire and lava all around you.

I H8 Memes said:
I just now found out what all of those "Soul of a Brave Warrior" items are for. I don't know why I've just been ignoring them up until now. Keep em in the bank or spend them before this boss fight? :D

Those items are best used in bulk to buy a bunch of spells/items, or upgrade your Pyro glove. They are also excellent at topping off your soul count to get to that next level up. Some times you beat a boss and have enough souls to level once, but are ever so close to being able to level up twice. You don't want to go to the next area with the souls left over and risk losing them, so pop a few soul items to top you off and level up while you are still at the bonfire. Never use them out in the field though, you just add to the amount of souls you can lose.

sixghost

Up close and personal is the way to go.

You could also benefit from a high magic resistance shield, like the Crest Shield. I'd say don't forget to wear the covenant of artorias ring, but falling down accidentally without it is a must for every player at least once.

Yep, you'll be fine.

Did they patch out switching the Artorias ring after you land in the abyss? I just cleared 4 kings the other day, and I was "taken by the abyss" when I switched rings.

Beat Ornstein and Smough on my first try. Took all 10 drinks from the Estus flask plus using 5 humanity to heal fully.

I just wish I would have known that
the armor set I can get is decided by which one I kill last. Definitely would have saved Ornstein for last if I had known that. : /

2AdEPT

I would do that, but I am strictly melee on this playthrough.

sorry forgot....I love how each person has their own challenges and stick to them...the challenge runs were very limiting for me personally....my bes tactics and skill in the souls games is figuring out the secret power item or kryptonite of bosses.....with full power weaponry this skill wasn't necessary....I had to go no upgrades right off the hop as I did not want to have op weapons....hence the magic and light crossbow/tearstone/dusk crown ring combo was my bread and butter.

KarmaCow

Beat Ornstein and Smough on my first try. Took all 10 drinks from the Estus flask plus using 5 humanity to heal fully.

I just wish I would have known that
the armor set I can get is decided by which one I kill last. Definitely would have saved Ornstein for last if I had known that. : /

That's what New Game + is for!

What am I missing for making the Dragon Slayer spear? Ornstein Soul, Spear =10, 10,000 souls, 12 pieces of Demon Titanite. I'm at the Giant Blacksmith but it says I have insufficient materials. I'm looking at a weapon guide right now that says I only need a +10 Spear, Ornstein Soul, 5000 souls, and 1 Demon Titanite.

Sullichin

What am I missing for making the Dragon Slayer spear? Ornstein Soul, Spear =10, 10,000 souls, 12 pieces of Demon Titanite. I'm at the Giant Blacksmith but it says I have insufficient materials. I'm looking at a weapon guide right now that says I only need a +10 Spear, Ornstein Soul, 5000 souls, and 1 Demon Titanite.

If you killed Ornstein first you only get Smough's soul.

Hellcrow

I'm so conflicted on if I should go strength or dex. This is my first character, so I'm still trying stuff out. I've used the black knight sword so long with great success, however, it only has one viable attack. The R2 is completely useless. Hearing good things about the iato, I recently changed.

It is way weaker, but I guess upgrading will help. Heading for Anor Londo now!

Btw, my dex and Str are both at 20 now.

Soulhouf

I made a Crystal +5 Zweihander for the hell of it. Ridiculous damage. I waited until the Crystal +4 version broke, then upgraded to +5. I've also made a few Crystal Demon weapons, Demon Great Axe, Demon Great Machete, they both get over 700 AR at Crystal +5, and they have extremely high durability so you can get a lot of use out of it.

It's actually feasible to use Crystal +4 ( they are stronger than +15) Demon weapons for PvP, if you keep farming for chunks to make more +4 Crystal weps, you are bound to get a Slab drop here and there to +5 the ones you break.

I always do this with weapons you can get easily (Greatsword, Demon Great Machete, Washing Pole...) but it's not a common practice since it requires significant farming.

I'm so conflicted on if I should go strength or dex. This is my first character, so I'm still trying stuff out. I've used the black knight sword so long with great success, however, it only has one viable attack. The R2 is completely useless. Hearing good things about the iato, I recently changed.

It is way weaker, but I guess upgrading will help. Heading for Anor Londo now!

Btw, my dex and Str are both at 20 now.

Since you have 20 strength a good option is to get a washing pole and bump dex to 40 and say faith to 30.

Then upgrade the washing pole to +15 and use sunlight or darkmoon blade to wreck shit up. The R2 attack is one of the best.

One other thing
Personally I would've bought some of the spells before ascending it to +5 - that costs a lot. She sells some nice spells that are more powerful than Laurentius.

You know Laurentius at Firelink can take the glove all the way to +15 also (but can't ascend)
Also, if you speak to him again after ascending your pyro glove he will ask a question about it, if you say 'yes' he won't sell you spells any more and turns hollow somewhere else, so say 'no' unless you already wiped him out of spells

Also about the Chaos covenant
It take a while to give her the 30 humanity individually and actually isn't all that worth it - the shortcut that opens is one you will open from the otherside during normal playthrough and is not accessible until after you've completed Anor Londo and gone through the Demon Ruins any way. I don't think it's worth the 30 humanity you could otherwise use to kindle bonfires etc
- It's worth joining the covenant though just for the spell you get initially, you don't have to give anything and can join another covenant immediately and still use the spell.

Going through my first playthrough... Just beat Sif, I was actually sad after that fight, especially when he's stance changed up once his health was low.

Tenrius

Finally beat Bed of Chaos, after a few months of on and off trying. It almost killed my interest the game, the whole Lost Izalith area is such a shame. Catacombs (where I went next) is an amazing place though.

Mogwai

Finally beat Bed of Chaos, after a few months of on and off trying. It almost killed my interest the game, the whole Lost Izalith area is such a shame. Catacombs (where I went next) is an amazing place though.
Yes, Lost Izalith sucks. The place got potential for so much more.

Good preseverance on Bed of Chaos though. I found that boss to be such a lottery. Just had to do a handful attempts before it went down.

oracrest

Yes, Lost Izalith sucks. The place got potential for so much more.

Good preseverance on Bed of Chaos though. I found that boss to be such a lottery. Just had to do a handful attempts before it went down.

during my SL1 run of Bed of Chaos, I didn't technically kill her myself :)

I ran in, waited for the hand sweep, then gunned it forward. I leaped across the pit, and landed on the root, and made my way through the branches. It took a bit, and part of me felt that fire attack coming on any time now...

Sure enough, right when I got to the actual boss, I see those flame areas spawn on the ground, and I knew I was fucked. One hit kill....

As "You Died" comes up on screen, so does "Lord Souls Obtained."

Heh, I guess she's not immune to her own fire attack.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Good luck with Kalameet. I think it'll be relatively easy, because any mistakes tend to f you up anyway even if you are high level.

But it will take forever.
Spent some time chipping away at Manus yesterday. Just as bad as I had feared in some ways, and yet not as bad in others.

Bad:
- I get oneshot or instantly comboed to death by at least two different attacks.
- Great Combustion + +5 ascended pyro flame = less damage than an R2 attack from reinforced club. lol.
- My DPS is kind of bad against him. Gonna go try to go with a different gear set next time. I'm thinking Lightning dagger in one hand and light crossbow in the other.

Unexpectedly Good:
- I can straight up eat one or two of his attacks without dying, which is very surprising.
- I've got the timing for rolling most of his attacks, even though I'm not consistent with it yet. Confident enough with it to two-hand my weapon most of the time.
- I can actually block one hit from many of his attacks, even if I'm just two-handing the reinforced club.
- It's not terribly hard to back away from him and heal up. Easier than against Artorias for sure.

I'll try him again today when I get home. Pyro is out, but I'm gonna use the dagger and crossbow to get more little hits in, and use the spare weight to maybe put on some slightly better armor in the hopes I don't get oneshot so easily. I'm really feeling the slow speed/bad chaining of the reinforced club now.

Gonna try to avoid
summoning Sif
if I can. I never summoned help in my entire SL1 run, and I want to keep it that way.

ParityBit

Personally I would've bought some of the spells before ascending it to +5 - that costs a lot. She sells some nice spells that are more powerful than Laurentius.

You know Laurentius at Firelink can take the glove all the way to +15 also (but can't ascend)
Also, if you speak to him again after ascending your pyro glove he will ask a question about it, if you say 'yes' he won't sell you spells any more and turns hollow somewhere else, so say 'no' unless you already wiped him out of spells

Also about the Chaos covenant
It take a while to give her the 30 humanity individually and actually isn't all that worth it - the shortcut that opens is one you will open from the otherside during normal playthrough and is not accessible until after you've completed Anor Londo and gone through the Demon Ruins any way. I don't think it's worth the 30 humanity you could otherwise use to kindle bonfires etc
- It's worth joining the covenant though just for the spell you get initially, you don't have to give anything and can join another covenant immediately and still use the spell.

I thought you were not allowed to change covenants? I joined that one because it seemed to make sense for a pyro. I found that it is really easy to farm the boss in Sen's. Thats how I got all these souls. I can head back there to get the 100k (ish) I need for the spells from her. I think there are only 2-3 bonfires I have yet to kindle. I could hit those up (assuming I remember which they are) but I have 24 Humanity right now!

oracrest

I thought you were not allowed to change covenants? I joined that one because it seemed to make sense for a pyro. I found that it is really easy to farm the boss in Sen's. Thats how I got all these souls. I can head back there to get the 100k (ish) I need for the spells from her. I think there are only 2-3 bonfires I have yet to kindle. I could hit those up (assuming I remember which they are) but I have 24 Humanity right now!

You can change covenants at any time. I recommend abandoning your current one before joining another. Your old covenant may be mad at you, but you can pay to absolve your sin at the belltower to set things right again.

ArynCrinn

Banned
So I accidentally hit the Giant Blacksmith last night. Is he forever aggro'd against me?

No, you can go request absolution from the guy in the bell tower. But really, just take that hammer! One of the most powerful lightning weapons in the game at +5 and the R2 is brutal.

This is my recommendation once you've used up his usefulness.

ParityBit

You can change covenants at any time. I recommend abandoning your current one before joining another. Your old covenant may be mad at you, but you can pay to absolve your sin at the belltower to set things right again.

How do you abandon? And which should I join?

Seanspeed

Banned
How do you abandon? And which should I join?

Go to the person who indoctrinated you in the covenant to leave it. Covenants are mainly focused around PvP stuff I've found, although there's some usefulness for them outside that. I'd just read up about the different ones to see which might be best, although its not terribly important.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covenants

Anyways, I'm at the Demon Ruins. Is
Ceaseless Discharge not supposed to be beatable? It pretty much one shots me with everything and I cant block the attacks. What on earth am I supposed to do?

You can also abandon any covenant through Oswald (the guy at the bottom of the Gargoyle bell tower).

Covenants mostly fall into two categories - helper and invader. So join one, or several throughout, depending on what you want to do. ParityBit sounds like you like being summoned in Sen's, so a helper covenant might be good for you - join the SunBros!

Sullichin

Go to the person who indoctrinated you in the covenant to leave it. Covenants are mainly focused around PvP stuff I've found, although there's some usefulness for them outside that. I'd just read up about the different ones to see which might be best, although its not terribly important.

Ceaseless Discharge not supposed to be beatable? It pretty much one shots me with everything and I cant block the attacks. What on earth am I supposed to do?

You can actually lure him back to the very beginning of the area, he'll do a big jumping attack and grab onto the ledge with his claw. If you hit his claw a few times he'll fall off the ledge. It's the easiest way to beat him but sometimes he's very stubborn about doing this attack or following you back to the fog door. If he's not compliant, there is an area back up top with a narrow path that you can run behind when he attacks, and get a couple of hits in when he lands his attack. It's annoying though because sometimes his arm clips through the wall, but it's a very safe way to beat him. Dodging or blocking his attacks out in the open is really hard.

oracrest

If you've given up on him, here is the easy strategy:

after his gate, run forward, and duck into the small passage the does a 90 degree curve and leads to the other side of the open ledge area. If you wait at the 90 degree turn, he will line up to see you through the crevice of the tunnel, and do a long slapping attack. As soon as you see him move to attack, run back around the turn just a little bit. His arm will slam down near there, and you can get a couple hits on it before he pulls it back out. Keep doing this until he is dead. His arm can still hit you if you're standing at the turn itself, and if you are too far in the passage, he will try and move back around. So keep luring him to attack, and move back every time to avoid his attack.

or, what Sullichin said :D

join the SunBros!

You may have noticed that some players summon signs are yellow and not white. I never knew what exactly this meant until recently, but it means they are in the Sun Covenant. I don't know the gameplay implications of this, as far as the summoner is converned, but it's nice to have that sense of "solardarity" when summoning other Sunbros to help you :)

ParityBit

You can also abandon any covenant through Oswald (the guy at the bottom of the Gargoyle bell tower).

Covenants mostly fall into two categories - helper and invader. So join one, or several throughout, depending on what you want to do. ParityBit sounds like you like being summoned in Sen's, so a helper covenant might be good for you - join the SunBros!

You may have noticed that some players summon signs are yellow and not white. I never knew what exactly this meant until recently, but it means they are in the Sun Covenant. I don't know the gameplay implications of this, as far as the summoner is converned, but it's nice to have that sense of "solardarity" when summoning other Sunbros to help you :)

Ok awesome! Where do I sign up? ;)

Sullichin

At the sunlight altar, it's on the parish end of the bridge going from undead burg -> parish. You know, the one with the huge red dragon on it. You can run past him though. There's a faith requirement for joining but it's lowered every time you help someone beat a boss, so you're probably good to join already if you helped a few people with iron golem.

Lol, NG+ Seath. Power Within, bellowing dragoncrest, dusk crown. Killed him halfway through casting my second fire tempest. Kalameet, however, still destroys me no matter what NG, playstyle or level I am. I am so bad against that boss.

oracrest

The covenant is just past the portcullis gate where the red dragon is.

if you haven't dealt with him yet...
You can still go to the middle stairway on the stairs, and shoot him with an arrow. As soon as he leaves his perch, haul ass past him to the doorway, and to the bonfire. The covenant is just near there on the porch to the right

Soulhouf

Does anyone know which community is the most active? I've seen my friend play on PS3, and it seemed more active than the Xbox version.

There are more players on PS3 given most of them came from Demon's Souls.
Also I believe only the PS3 version has been released in Japan and there are many Japanese players (currently 70% of summons/invaders I see are Japanese) who are still active.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'm getting so sick of FromSoft's lazy RNG designs. Been sitting here trying to farm a Balder Shield from the church (with 10 Humanity) for an hour on my latest SL1 run, no luck. Tired of this Mickey Mouse shit, drops like this should be based on skillful play, not luck.

It's so lame I've been able to upgrade all my essentials to +5 already and still have 22 Shards left over. I'm even upgrading crap I have almost no use for...

That's one thing that needs to change for Dark Souls 2. No more luck-based bullshit, all should revolve around skill and creativity.

oracrest

I'm getting so sick of FromSoft's lazy RNG designs. Been sitting here trying to farm a Balder Shield from the church (with 10 Humanity) for an hour on my latest SL1 run, no luck. Tired of this Mickey Mouse shit, drops like this should be based on skillful play, not luck.

It's so lame I've been able to upgrade all my essentials to +5 already and still have 22 Shards left over. I'm even upgrading crap I have almost no use for...

That's one thing that needs to change for Dark Souls 2. No more luck-based bullshit, all should revolve around skill and creativity.

You can also buy one from the merchant in Sen's Fortress, if waiting for the drop is too frustrating. otherwise, try giving yourself 10 humanity for higher drop rates.

FFS - To take a break from my SL1 character, I started a dex 'ninja' type because it's been a very long time since I played with Uchi-type swords. I just rescued Dusk and accidently chose 'no' - I wasn't really going to use magic, but I wanted her gear. I read on the wiki she is now not available for the rest of the playthrough! W.....T.....F! lol I'm literally going to start again because of this, I'm laughing to myself because it's so messed up! What a waste of time!

The funny thing is, next playthrough you'll probably get loads of them. A while back I was hungry for a Balder Shield pre-Sen's and it took forever to drop, the next playthrough I had 2 drop in the same run and ended up with 3 overall.

Sullichin

FFS - To take a break from my SL1 character, I started a dex 'ninja' type because it's been a very long time since I played with Uchi-type swords. I just rescued Dusk and accidently chose 'no' - I wasn't really going to use magic, but I wanted her gear. I read on the wiki she is now not available for the rest of the playthrough! W.....T.....F! lol I'm literally going to start again because of this, I'm laughing to myself because it's so messed up! What a waste of time!

The funny thing is, next playthrough you'll probably get loads of them. A while back I was hungry for a Balder Shield pre-Sen's and it took forever to drop, the next playthrough I had 2 drop in the same run and ended up with 3 overall.

I know how you feel. Last time I wanted the crown of dusk, I killed the crystal golem with a chaos fireball and the lava immediately killed dusk.

Seanspeed

Banned
You can actually lure him back to the very beginning of the area, he'll do a big jumping attack and grab onto the ledge with his claw. If you hit his claw a few times he'll fall off the ledge. It's the easiest way to beat him but sometimes he's very stubborn about doing this attack or following you back to the fog door. If he's not compliant, there is an area back up top with a narrow path that you can run behind when he attacks, and get a couple of hits in when he lands his attack. It's annoying though because sometimes his arm clips through the wall, but it's a very safe way to beat him. Dodging or blocking his attacks out in the open is really hard.

If you've given up on him, here is the easy strategy:

after his gate, run forward, and duck into the small passage the does a 90 degree curve and leads to the other side of the open ledge area. If you wait at the 90 degree turn, he will line up to see you through the crevice of the tunnel, and do a long slapping attack. As soon as you see him move to attack, run back around the turn just a little bit. His arm will slam down near there, and you can get a couple hits on it before he pulls it back out. Keep doing this until he is dead. His arm can still hit you if you're standing at the turn itself, and if you are too far in the passage, he will try and move back around. So keep luring him to attack, and move back every time to avoid his attack.

or, what Sullichin said :D
Thanks. Once I realized he would move I was ok.

So it seems I could use some repair powders down here, too! This game always manages to throw a spanner in the works. lol

How would you suggest they do that in this case, out of curiosity? You'd want it to drop from a Balder Knight still, but how do you do that in any skill-based way? I hate farming sometimes, too, but in situations like this, I'm not sure what a better solution would be.

There are more players on PS3 given most of them came from Demon's Souls.
Also I believe only the PS3 version has been released in Japan and there are many Japanese players (currently 70% of summons/invaders I see are Japanese) who are still active.

Ahh, That sucks. Encounter have been sparse, I'm beginning to feel like I missed the boat on this one (but I'll be there day one for Dark Souls 2)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Crossbow + Reinforced club is a surprisingly fun fighting style.

I think I'm doing better against Manus, but I think I'm getting too greedy and getting killed for it.

ArynCrinn

Banned
How would you suggest they do that in this case, out of curiosity? You'd want it to drop from a Balder Knight still, but how do you do that in any skill-based way? I hate farming sometimes, too, but in situations like this, I'm not sure what a better solution would be.

How about clearing a room of enemies within a time frame, or killing a single enemy within a time frame, or dodging every attack perfectly, or a combination. Bunches of creative combos could be done with this thinking, but it requires time and effort to code and test properly...easier and lazier to just set it to a random variable that increases probability with a item count.

On that note:
cdiYHjS.jpg

Initial phase complete, if Avatar and LoTR had a baby!
n0b1EAD.jpg

Doing a few videos of killing bosses with no restrictions except no-leveling, but I'm so used to not healing during bosses...I haven't needed to. :p Found that I get a solid 30fps now while recording, maybe it's just the areas because before it wasn't this good on my laptop.

Asylum Demon = Most unsatisfying boss, no challenge at all. Need to do this with fists or the broken sword just to get any enjoyment.

Taurus Demon = Nothing like tanking a Taurus Demon with your face at SL1 and winning, lightning makes this a joke.

Gargoyles = No tail because I don't care about it, tried to get it though at the end. Easy fight, and lightning wins again.

Pinwheel = Actually a challenge when not healing, because the clones can double shot you easily and from off camera. But yeah, Pinwheel... By the by, I lost about 20,000 souls and my 12 Humanity in the Catacombs, fucking necromancers. Was also killed directly before I could loot the TWO Skull Lanterns that dropped, fucking skeletons. And fuck Titanite Demons too, cheap shotted me after I got out of the coffin.

Top Bottom