• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Soulhouf

My the first quarrel is the online. Players are reluctant to help. They only want to invade, and they invade with cheap tactics. Every player that has invaded me is nearly unstoppable or uses poisons and dodges/is immune to all my attacks. I'll just stay undead for the remainder of the game.

I think it depends on the platform you're playing on.
On PS3 I encounter as much helpers as invaders and I don't think making a glitched character stats-wise is possible here.
Sure, there still some dicks who stay low level and come back to the burg to grieve players who just started the game but that's it.

Another important point: I don't want to sound discriminative but to be fair, most of the time I saw players who use cheap tactics they weren't Japanese. It's a fact, I don't say all of them but from my own experience, most of Japanese players are fair whereas many western aren't.
Of course there are many western players who are fair but sadly there are also many who, if they don't cheat, they use cheap tactics.

And this is why it's better to play on PS3. Not only you will see much more online activity but also it's the only version available in Japan and many good Japanese players are still playing the game right now.

Defuser

So I decided to be a good invader for a time being, I went to farm Black knights at the kiln for their weapons then I invade the parish,burg and the depths which I proceed to give BK weapons for players if they don't attack me on sight. If they attack me...its ass whooping time.

Ziek

That side of the online functionality is great. Another few neat things about it:

- Every time you hear the bell ring for no apparent reason, that's a real player who just rang the bell in their game.

Good thing that is cleared up. It seemed to be a main plot point to ring that bell. I was wondering, what is the point if I keep hearing it ring throughout the level?

EasyMode

What kinda settings do I need to turn on/off to achieve 60 fps with a a 3570K/GTX670 combo at 1080p ?

Is that goal even realistic because I tried turning everything off besides the resolution of course and my framerate dips to the 40s-30s when the intro boss swings his hammer.

One last thing, is there away to activate v-sync or you have to live with the tearing if you want high framerate ?

With that rig you should be getting 60 fps @ 1080p most of the time. My framerate was pretty steady with my i5 750 / GTX 580, but there are certain spots where it tuned to shit. I turned off SSAO and SMAA, set DOF to 1080, and enabled 4xMSAA through Inspector (compatibility settings found here.)

Use D3DOverrider to force V-Sync. It's comes with RivaTuner.

With that rig you should be getting 60 fps @ 1080p most of the time. My framerate was pretty steady with my i5 750 / GTX 580, but there are certain spots where it tuned to shit. I turned off SSAO and SMAA, set DOF to 1080, and enabled 4xMSAA through Inspector (compatibility settings found here.)

Use D3DOverrider to force V-Sync. It's comes with RivaTuner.

Thank you for the replay, will try this the next time I boot the game. Fog gates seem to really screw with the framerate a little (drops from 60 to 50)

Also, I thought Durante said in the ini file that you should not set the DOF to be the same as your vertical resolution ?

EasyMode

Thank you for the replay, will try this the next time I boot the game. Fog gates seem to really screw with the framerate a little (drops from 60 to 50)

Also, I thought Durante said in the ini file that you should not set the DOF to be the same as your vertical resolution ?

Fog gates were definitely my main offender for fps dips.

It's been months since I've played so perhaps the situation has changed, but I've been setting my DoF res to my vertical resolution since the option was made available without any problems. It's just an aesthetic preference anyways, I like the sharp look.

Well it was a nice ride while it lasted, but if you cant design an area better than the crystal caves then go fuck yourself and step aside so someone better can do your job.

GOTY vote is revoked.

Sullichin

Well it was a nice ride while it lasted, but if you cant design an area better than the crystal caves then go fuck yourself and step aside so someone better can do your job.

GOTY vote is revoked.

Ha, this is one area that you will only rage in your first playthrough - unless you're going for the blue titanite slab. It's a straight shoot right to the boss. The snowflakes land on the pathways, but it's easier to just have someone show you where to go the first time. You can also shoot arrows and lay yourself messages or use prism stones.

Did you do Tomb of the Giants yet?

I only died twice and only lost about 6000 souls on the second death. It's not that its too difficult, it's that it's too stupid. I dont have any patience for level design this bad and I already uninstalled the game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I breezed through Crystal Caves even on my first playthrough. All of the visual clues seemed fairly legible, and it has a fairly friendly enemy set. This is some next level rage quitting.

Sullichin

I only died twice and only lost about 6000 souls on the second death. It's not that its too difficult, it's that it's too stupid. I dont have any patience for level design this bad and I already uninstalled the game.

Well damn. I hope you visit it again soon because you're close to the end of the game. You're not missing much with crystal caves or its boss but I hope you did some of the DLC, its awesome and doesn't have any gimmick like that.

I enjoyed the Crystal Caves...even if you don't like it, though, it's a small enough area that I don't understand how it can ruin your enjoyment of the entire game enough to uninstall it.

EasyMode

Crystal cave tip: Just run from the Dukes Archive bonfire to the boss. There's 2 invisible paths that are perfectly straight, and the snowflakes make them pretty visible. There's only one crystal golem in the way, and he doesn't respawn. Every other enemy you can just run past.

Biff

Sorry guys, not sure if this is the place to post a question from the standard DS version but hopefully someone can help.

I'm about 10 hours into the game playing as Sorcerer. Still using the original dagger that comes with the character.

Is it worth it for me to spend titanite shards to upgrade (er.. "reinforce") the dagger? Is there another weapon that offers the same kind of mobility but more damage for someone 10 hours into the game? I've been intentionally trying to keep my guy lightweight (as I assume most sorcs do).

Thanks!

I H8 Memes - Don't give up! Crystal Caves is just annoying once, you can use arrows and prism stones to show you the way along the invisible pathways - but once you've been along them a couple of times or so you will able to run along them without using anything - the way to the boss is basically 2 straight lines.

Sorry guys, not sure if this is the place to post a question from the standard DS version but hopefully someone can help.

I'm about 10 hours into the game playing as Sorcerer. Still using the original dagger that comes with the character.

Is it worth it for me to spend titanite shards to upgrade (er.. "reinforce") the dagger? Is there another weapon that offers the same kind of mobility but more damage for someone 10 hours into the game? I've been intentionally trying to keep my guy lightweight (as I assume most sorcs do).

Thanks!
If you like daggers you can pick up a Bandit Knife from the Undead Assassins in Lower Undead Burg - just as fast as the regular dagger, but I think they do more critical damage too (bigger multipler on backstabs, riposts etc) - they do bleed damage as well.

Arjen

now try and get the blue slab there just for shits and giggles

Sullichin

Thanks!

It's worth upgrading any weapon you like to use. Almost every weapon is really crappy un-upgraded. You might want to try out a longsword or a balder side sword if you were lucky enough to get a drop
If you plan on using sorcery you can consider using magic weapon and its better versions, which adds magic damage to your weapon for a short time and is great for bosses.
As long as you're at 25% or under your equip weight, you'll roll fast. If you're at 50% or under you'll move/roll slower, and above that you'll clunk the ground when you roll

Got gravelorded in the burg last night and went to the parish because I hear it gravelords the whole area, and it did. This screen doesn't show it but I had full health when he started this backstab (NG++, not sure if they scale with NGs like regular enemies):
31E618324A8C5E456939BD9A2678ECF2FA881DD1
The BP enemies look so cool, I hope they're utilized better in DS2

After my first play through, the crystal caves stopped me playing again for a long time. I agree it really is that bad. The boss at the end (and the room before) can be real bullshit too depending on your build.

You will be back though, everybody always is ;)

Thanks!

Upgrade as much as you can and try different things out. Remember to get and use those magic weapon buffs. They will make a huge difference.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Don't make it a habit to give up so easy due to this kind of stuff. Life gets a whole lot harder, stupider and frustrating than Crystal Caves. :p

Ziek

Thanks!

I was literally in the same situation as you. 10 hours in as a Sorcerer looking for a weapon. I eventually just found a scimitar and upgraded it. I was doing decent damage on melee when I needed to (not often).

I did start over though because I put too much in intelligence; the play style got boring, because I could nuke everything. I rerolled a Bandit. It's been 2 hours and I'm already up to where I left off on my Sorcerer. I was able to get a black knight shield and the drake sword before heading to the Parish though.

It's crazy how fast the levels go by on a second try. I knew them like the back of my hand.

If I were you, I would've ragequit at the Capra Demon.

I think the Capra demon will be the end of this game for me. I've tried him like 12 times now, and every time has come down to me getting caught in the walls, lock-on issues, or camera blindness. lol @ game of the generation

I think the Capra demon will be the end of this game for me. I've tried him like 12 times now, and every time has come down to me getting caught in the walls, lock-on issues, or camera blindness. lol @ game of the generation

The size of the room makes that fight nasty. If I recall correctly, I finally beat it by first running to the right, dodging around the pillars to avoid the dogs, then running up the stairs. That let me kill the dogs on the stairs. Once they're dead, it's fairly easy to finish off the Capra Demon.

The size of the room makes that fight nasty. If I recall correctly, I finally beat it by first running to the right, dodging around the pillars to avoid the dogs, then running up the stairs. That let me kill the dogs on the stairs. Once they're dead, it's fairly easy to finish off the Capra Demon.

I've had Capra down to himself a couple times now, and tried using the stairs trick, but once you get to the top of the stairs the camera goes to shit, and most the time I seem to get caught up there on the geometry or something - or maybe because the camera is f'd I'm not actually trying to roll in the right direction. Right about that time he'll do his double-swing-of-doom ending the run.

I would agree that the room itself is completely ruining what could be a fun and interesting fight.

Sullichin

I've had Capra down to himself a couple times now, and tried using the stairs trick, but once you get to the top of the stairs the camera goes to shit, and most the time I seem to get caught up there on the geometry or something - or maybe because the camera is f'd I'm not actually trying to roll in the right direction. Right about that time he'll do his double-swing-of-doom ending the run.

I would agree that the room itself is completely ruining what could be a fun and interesting fight.

Try turning off "camera auto wall recovery" in options, it might help with the camera going bonkers.

I would definitely recommend not giving up. The Capra Demon was one of only two fights I've experienced in the game that I thought were unfair. (The others are difficult, but fair.) The Capra Demon is extremely early in the game, and there is an absolute ton of amazing stuff waiting in the game for you if you perservere.

It sure is a shame that they didn't either get rid of the dogs or make the room bigger. Would have improved the fight immensely.

Arjen

If you are truly stuck and don't see any way out, you can always use the dung pie trick.
It's way to beat him without entering the fog door. But that's last resort, he's totally doable if you just keep trying. And the victory wil be so much sweeter.

Ziek

It sure is a shame that they didn't either get rid of the dogs or make the room bigger. Would have improved the fight immensely.

I could deal with the dogs if the room was slightly larger. Doesn't even have to be more than a foot wider. However, as soon as you enter the fog gate you're cornered unless you can pull of an extremely lucky roll. It truly is a bad design, unless I'm missing something completely.

Poise can help in the Capra Demon fight a lot, so if you don't have much poise wear heavier armour and/or grab the Wolf Ring before trying the fight again. It will stop the dogs interupting your attacks, so even if they hit you, your swing will kill them. Once the dogs are gone everything the Capra does can be blocked except for the two-handed attacks I think.

Poise can help in the Capra Demon fight a lot, so if you don't have much poise wear heavier armour and/or grab the Wolf Ring before trying the fight again. It will stop the dogs interupting your attacks, so even if they hit you, your swing will kill them. Once the dogs are gone everything the Capra does can be blocked except for the two-handed attacks I think.

Also get into the habit of putting your shield down between hits and raising it up again at the right time. The stamina you regain in that second can make a huge difference.

Really you just need to bait him into a big swing then go to town before backing away. Also make sure to use two handed swings and items like resin to boost your damage.

The fight does force you to use a lot of the skills/tools you have available unless you use the stairs trick. You will be better at the game once you crack it.

Soulhouf

During my 25ish runs through the game, Capra must be one of the only bosses I never ever died against (first time I almost died because of the surprise but I quickly had the situation under control). And I didn't even knew the stairs trick you're talking about (I just checked youtube WHAT THE FUCK).

The fight is really easy if you either use a good+5 shield or don't lock on at all.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Don't give up man! Follow my video here as a good reference to beat him.

As Red said poise helps a ton because it can save your ass primarily from the dogs stunning you rendering you helpless against blocking/dodging Capra. So go Wolf Ring like in the vid or heavy armor, or both.

Remember the most important thing is to think of the fight in two sequences...dogs, then Capra. And just set your mind to brute forcing the dogs. But because their AI is based on RNG you won't be able to "master" everything, so visualize it as a brute force two sequence fight.

For Capra, if it's your first time only attack him after he's finished a three swing combo, or he's missed a heavy attack that you dodge. Otherwise keep your shield up, any +5 can easily tank him. Just always be sure to dodge the forward plunging attack he does because it's unblockable, but those are great opportunities to open up a R2. Also try going for one R2 at a time or a R2, R1 combo if he's recovering from a three swing combo.

I ain't too proud, so f it, I just did the dung/firebomb trick. Time to move on.

Damn, nevermind. :p

I've never done the Dung Pie method, I'm also historically bad at free aiming in Souls...

Don't give up man! Follow my video here as a good reference to beat him.

lol damn, son. You worked him over. I'll work on my lock-unlocking technique some more.

My shield is currently stock and my axe +3. I think what I'll do now is go back to the church, farm a bit, and upgrade my shield at that blacksmith. He has unlimited Titanite to sell, correct?

So how did you get a fire axe so early in the game?

ParityBit

So, I have been farming souls in Sen's helping people beat the boss. Recently I have not been summoned so I am thinking it may be dry. Maybe time for me to try myself ....

I am looking for advice as to how to level up. I have my pryo glove all the way up to +5 ascendancy and all the spells from the lady in Blight town.

I have 50+ large shards and picked up a bunch of rings.

I have 63 humanity and 650k souls to spend and figured leveling up may be the way to go?

I am currently lvl 49:

Vit : 15
Att : 19
End : 30
Str : 16
Dex : 20
Res : 12
Int : 12
Faith : 8

Any advice?

ArynCrinn

Banned
lol damn, son. You worked him over. I'll work on my lock-unlocking technique some more.

My shield is currently stock and my axe +3. I think what I'll do now is go back to the church, farm a bit, and upgrade my shield at that blacksmith. He has unlimited Titanite to sell, correct?

So how did you get a fire axe so early in the game?

I got fire weapons (Reinforced Club and Hand Axe) from just rushing the Catacombs almost immediately and going to Vamos. Pretty easy since you'll pick up a Green Shard on the way down there.

And yes, Andre sells unlimited Titanite Shards.

It really is the worst. Spent 30 minutes getting it off and maybe 5 minutes on the actual fight.

I think I may just give up on it this playthrough. I've tried about 10 times, and just can't get it...it doesn't help that the two moves that allow you to attack the tail seem to be his two least common.

Where do I go to reinforce my shield? Do only certain blacksmiths do it? Andre doesn't seem to be able to - he only has the option for armor (which I assumed my shield would be under).

Where do I go to reinforce my shield? Do only certain blacksmiths do it? Andre doesn't seem to be able to - he only has the option for armor (which I assumed my shield would be under).

They should be in the weapons section.

I think I need to take a break from the game...getting a little RSI in my right hand because of it. Dunno how you guys do it, but my hand contorts in strange ways to be able to control the camera while also using the R buttons and B.

Sullichin

Went to ToTG early to farm white chunks... fuck, it's going to be annoying getting out of here without the lordvessel. I also didn't lower any of the bridges in the catacombs. Forgot the gold serpent's ring too. The drop rate is pretty decent on the bone towers though, shouldn't take long.

Rhea isn't in ToTG. Is it because I didn't kill Capra Demon yet? I've heard she's attached to that event. I don't recall seeing her in firelink. I hope she'll show up there later.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I head that the mouse and keyboard fixes improved a lot over the default controls (which are horrendous), but it actually makes it superior?

If so, I'll have to give it a try.

I was mostly kidding, but yeah, I find them incredibly usable.

Forest hunter is pretty fun so far. I am terrible at PvP though.

Top Bottom