• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Seanspeed

Banned
So, I have been farming souls in Sen's helping people beat the boss. Recently I have not been summoned so I am thinking it may be dry. Maybe time for me to try myself ....

I am looking for advice as to how to level up. I have my pryo glove all the way up to +5 ascendancy and all the spells from the lady in Blight town.

I have 50+ large shards and picked up a bunch of rings.

I have 63 humanity and 650k souls to spend and figured leveling up may be the way to go?

I am currently lvl 49:

Vit : 15
Att : 19
End : 30
Str : 16
Dex : 20
Res : 12
Int : 12
Faith : 8

Any advice?
You still haven't beat the boss yourself? Not gonna go back and check but hasn't it been like over a week since you got there? What are you doing? :/

Beat the boss and get on with the game. Your level is fine as it is. Do whatever and just get on with things for christ's sake! lol

Went to ToTG early to farm white chunks... fuck, it's going to be annoying getting out of here without the lordvessel. I also didn't lower any of the bridges in the catacombs. Forgot the gold serpent's ring too. The drop rate is pretty decent on the bone towers though, shouldn't take long.

Rhea isn't in ToTG. Is it because I didn't kill Capra Demon yet? I've heard she's attached to that event. I don't recall seeing her in firelink. I hope she'll show up there later.

Yep.

ParityBit

You still haven't beat the boss yourself? Not gonna go back and check but hasn't it been like over a week since you got there? What are you doing? :/

Beat the boss and get on with the game. Your level is fine as it is. Do whatever and just get on with things for christ's sake! lol

lol Yes, it's been over a week. I don't know. I just drop my sign and hang out. Watch TV, play on my iPad/Droid and chill. I get summoned and as long as the summoner doesn't fall off the side of the cliff I get really fast 20k souls!

OkOkOK. I will beat him myself. Just need to dump these souls :) The humanity ... well whatever. I can get it again!

Sullichin

So, I have been farming souls in Sen's helping people beat the boss. Recently I have not been summoned so I am thinking it may be dry. Maybe time for me to try myself ....

I am looking for advice as to how to level up. I have my pryo glove all the way up to +5 ascendancy and all the spells from the lady in Blight town.

I have 50+ large shards and picked up a bunch of rings.

I have 63 humanity and 650k souls to spend and figured leveling up may be the way to go?

I am currently lvl 49:

Vit : 15
Att : 19
End : 30
Str : 16
Dex : 20
Res : 12
Int : 12
Faith : 8

Any advice?

Use the shards and upgrade your weapons, upgrade str/dex depending on the scaling of the weapon you're using. more vitality will be helpful in the next area, but your level is fine

Ok I'm stuck. How do I get out of the catacombs if I never turned the bridges going down? Starting from ToTG bonfire, I can get to the area of the catacombs with the titanite demon. the only way I see to continue up is across the bridge which is turned over, and I don't see any of the switches on this side... hm... I know this should be possible. EDIT: nevermind, found my way up...forgot there was another room connected to where the darkmoon ring is

Hellcrow

Well, New Londo wasn't a pleasant place. Especially
when you remove the water. So. many. bodies. Wonder what insane history this place has.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Use the shards and upgrade your weapons, upgrade str/dex depending on the scaling of the weapon you're using. more vitality will be helpful in the next area, but your level is fine

Ok I'm stuck. How do I get out of the catacombs if I never turned the bridges going down? Starting from ToTG bonfire, I can get to the area of the catacombs with the titanite demon. the only way I see to continue up is across the bridge which is turned over, and I don't see any of the switches on this side... hm... I know this should be possible. EDIT: nevermind, found my way up...forgot there was another room connected to where the darkmoon ring is

Running past the Bonewheels was fun wasn't it? Probably died about ten times climbing out ToTG myself when I was upgrading Occult for the ENB challenge. :(

Easily the most annoying part, also the necromancers I kept alive were the bane of my existence.

zkylon

zkylewd
when you remove the water. So. many. bodies. Wonder what insane history this place has.
Don't wanna spoil, but read every item's description and talk to everyone and you'll get a glimpse of what happened.

It's not nice :p

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Four kings done.

I seem to be getting rid of the bosses in a pretty fast pace. Duke archives give me latria prison vibes,

With that rig you should be getting 60 fps @ 1080p most of the time. My framerate was pretty steady with my i5 750 / GTX 580, but there are certain spots where it tuned to shit. I turned off SSAO and SMAA, set DOF to 1080, and enabled 4xMSAA through Inspector (compatibility settings found here.)

Use D3DOverrider to force V-Sync. It's comes with RivaTuner.

Just wanna say thank you for the help, I did this and I'm really happy with the results (only tested in the undead berg which is probably on the lower end of things that the game throws at you)

I did however set my DoF res to 810 with a blur effect of 1 since I like the emphasis on the distance.

Just got to Anor Londo a couple nights ago... beautiful place. I'm really impressed with how much this game continues to surprise me with each new area.

Raide

Just got to Anor Londo a couple nights ago... beautiful place. I'm really impressed with how much this game continues to surprise me with each new area.

The scale and desolation just wowed me. I almost wanted to see it in the past when it was thriving. Dark Souls has an amazing way of introducing new places, one after another. So much atmosphere.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I also remember being seriously creeped out as soon as I realized what the floor was made of.

What's the best way to farm consumable humanity? I've done these areas and killed the boss in the areas that have one

Undead Burg
Undead Parish
Darkroot Wood
Darkroot Basin
The Depths
Blighttown
The Great Swamp
The Great Hollow
Quelaag's Domain
Undead Asylum
Firelink Shrine
Sen's Fortress
Valley of Drakes
Ash Lake

zkylon

zkylewd
What's the best way to farm consumable humanity? I've done these areas and killed the boss in the areas that have one

Undead Burg
Undead Parish
Darkroot Wood
Darkroot Basin
The Depths
Blighttown
The Great Swamp
The Great Hollow
Quelaag's Domain
Undead Asylum
Firelink Shrine
Sen's Fortress
Valley of Drakes
Ash Lake
The depths. Go to the right and down the ladder from the warpable bonfire and kill the bunch of rats gathered in a corner.

The best way by far though is in the DLC areas, so you might want to wait until you unlock them to farm humanity.

So what should I do?
I entered Anor Londo and I am wondering if should explore more or go into the painted world?
Finish up Anor Londo first. After Anor Londo you get the ability to warp between selected bonfires so exploring becomes easier, Painted World included.

Seanspeed

Banned
So what should I do?
I entered Anor Londo and I am wondering if should explore more or go into the painted world?

Explore more. You cant
leave the painted world once you enter and it can be a pain if you're not prepared for it

I nearly gave up on the game today!
Lost Izalith was a bit disappointing compared to some of the other areas in the game, but holy hell, the boss fight, Bed of Chaos, was one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had. Took me about 25 tries, not exaggerating. I checked a guide and watched a couple videos after about 5 times, but it really didn't help much. It was just pure luck for me, as there is one area attack that I couldn't block that killed me in one hit. If not that, then it was getting swiped off, missing the jump, or just assaulted simultaneously with the flame tentacles and its hands. I eventually resorted to going to the Demon Ruin bonfire to shorten the trip each time as I would usually die within 15-20 seconds or so, then have to make the whole trip again. Rinse and repeat 20+ times. It was awful. I seriously considered just giving up on the game
. Glad I didn't, though. Eventually pulled it off and proceeded to fist pump furiously! lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, that was a terrible boss fight.

Finished this game today, though in my haste to finish it I forgot that I haven't done the DLC yet. >.<

Not sure if I should just do NG+ and finish it off then.

Crystal caves can eat a dick, but thank god for the good people leaving messages on paths.

ParityBit

Explore more. You cant
leave the painted world once you enter and it can be a pain if you're not prepared for it

Oh man .... those
archer knights keep killing me! All my humanity gone. Oh well, I expected as much. I am level 76 now though. But how do I beat those archers!

Oh man .... those
archer knights keep killing me! All my humanity gone. Oh well, I expected as much. I am level 76 now though. But how do I beat those archers!

If they're really giving you trouble, you can
snipe them from a distance with poison arrows.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Look what I got while I was farming for chunks to upgrade my Lightning Club for Four Kings!
Nlyvz7I.jpg

Also,

Priscilla = No blocking, no damage, no healing AND I cut her tail...but don't get it twisted the tail part was luck. :p Anyway, always feels good to get the tail and stomp on Crossbreed.

Four Kings = No Power Within+Havel's+cheese strategy. But I wasn't going to torture myself with the no healing rule while drunk, so I healed a lot. My character drank about as many bottles as I did tonight! Anyway, just goes to show how laughably easy this boss is when you allow healing. I made about every mistake you can make and still won, although the last king wanted to be a dick. My no upgrade no-healing run will be torture... But a pretty good model for anyone who wants to do it at base SL. And I'm finally a Darkwraith!!!

Wow. Finally beat Kalameet.

So satisfying when you finally beat a boss you've been stuck on. It's a real rush of adrenaline, and it feels so good to know the enemies moves and react accordingly well enough to beat them.

Wow. Finally beat Kalameet.

So satisfying when you finally beat a boss you've been stuck on. It's a real rush of adrenaline, and it feels so good to know the enemies moves and react accordingly well enough to beat them.

I love it when you have a long and hard fight and you can see they have only a few pixels of health life. More often than not you are faced with that "do I take an extra swing to finish them off or just play it safe?" moment that really gets the heart pumping as you hammer R1 to try to get the attack out before getting killed.

sixghost

I finally beat Artorias after like 25 tries. The character I'm using kind of sucks, and I thought I was going need to farm another 10-15 levels to beat him. I absolutely dominated him in the last fight, got hit maybe twice, with no shield. I literally stood up and yelled on the last hit, what a game. Learning to go for the second jab with my spear was the key, the bonus damage you get when he's rolling away helped so much.

*things*
Also,

Priscilla = No blocking, no damage, no healing AND I cut her tail...but don't get it twisted the tail part was luck. :p Anyway, always feels good to get the tail and stomp on Crossbreed.

*more things too*

I don't like you! I know, you had to kill her, but after my first and only time per character, I usually keep her alive. Abomination/Antithesis of Life or not, she is my waifu ;p

The depths. Go to the right and down the ladder from the warpable bonfire and kill the bunch of rats gathered in a corner.

The best way by far though is in the DLC areas, so you might want to wait until you unlock them to farm humanity.

If I do it in the DLC areas, will it be too late to
save Solaire
?

save Solaire
?

I think the best farming spot for humanity is in the prison. Just go with a heap of homeward bones.

Once you have turned the siren off, just keep running down to slaughter all the octopus type things. They drop plenty of humanity plus they give a heap of souls too.

The only downside is you can't warp there, but it isn't a big deal to get in and out.

2AdEPT

Went to ToTG early to farm white chunks... fuck, it's going to be annoying getting out of here without the lordvessel. I also didn't lower any of the bridges in the catacombs. Forgot the gold serpent's ring too. The drop rate is pretty decent on the bone towers though, shouldn't take long.

Rhea isn't in ToTG. Is it because I didn't kill Capra Demon yet? I've heard she's attached to that event. I don't recall seeing her in firelink. I hope she'll show up there later.

she has to show up in firelink first I think.

I think the best farming spot for humanity is in the prison. Just go with a heap of homeward bones.

Once you have turned the siren off, just keep running down to slaughter all the octopus type things. They drop plenty of humanity plus they give a heap of souls too.

The only downside is you can't warp there, but it isn't a big deal to get in and out.

I do not know where the prison is :(

I'm only on Anor Londo btw, don't think I'm strong enough for the Demon Ruins or Catacombs, and don't wanna try New Londo until I've
drained the water

zkylon

zkylewd
save Solaire
?
Nope, there's not a time aspect to it, it's a progression order thing. You can finish up the DLC without fear.

Basically you have to
get to level 2 of the chaos covenant, go through the shortcut to lost izalith, kill all the sunlight maggots until you get the special bug hat and you're done. You have to do this BEFORE you go past the lava centipede boss, so kill it or don't (doesn't matter), and backtrack and go through the shortcut.

I'd advice leaving the DLC for the end, though, since most of the bosses are pretty tough.

Kunohara

Killed Bed of Chaos last night. No joke, only took two tries. First try was because the ramp leading up to him is just a little to the right, and when I jumped I missed. 2nd time through, I jumped and made it. I've heard so many bad things about this boss, but he was pretty easy. It might be my gear that made it easy I don't know. His sweeps never knocked me around, and I was able to block everything. I'm using:

Stone Helm
Elite Knight Armour +9
Elite Knight Leggings +10
Silver Knight Gauntlets +4
Black Knight Shield +5
Steel Protection
RFAP
BSS Sword +15

SL80

The only bosses so far that really made me rage were O&S and Capra. Now onto TotG. I've already cleared Catacombs, thank god.

Rhea only shows at firelink after
you kill capra dude! She then goes away if you kill pinwheel (ToTG) or exaust the conversation cues.

Also don't forget that if you
save her in the ToTG you'll have to warp back to undead parish (in the chapel below the gargoyles) and talk to her or she'll die.

She finally
goes hollow in the Duke's archive. I was sad at this point,
wanted her to check my broadsword!

Sullichin

Reinstalled the game last night, then got a trainer. Crystal Caves was easy. So was the boss.

Lol well I guess most things are when you have a trainer

Rhea only shows at firelink after
you kill capra dude! She then goes away if you kill pinwheel (ToTG) or exaust the conversation cues.

Also don't forget that if you
save her in the ToTG you'll have to warp back to undead parish (in the chapel below the gargoyles) and talk to her or she'll die.

She finally
goes hollow in the Duke's archive. I was sad at this point,
wanted her to check my broadsword!

Yep, she showed up and i got everything I wanted from her. I took care of Petrus as well. I forgot that last bit about Rhea though. I may have killed her, I forgot. Too bad I missed out on Emit Force, I usually never bother with Seigymeyer's quest line but this time I meant to and forgot. Was going to make a SL120 occult zweihander character but i'm having a lot of fun invading in Tomb of the Giants at ~ 62. Got some hate mail for using force to push someone off a ledge. I was playing fair, I didn't sneak up on him and he shouldn't have backed up so close to the ledge :p
I ended up running. Ran like the wind, pushed the
archer knight
off the ledge and dropped to the balcony. Good stuff!

I really love this game, inversely proportional to how much it hates me.

Nice, that's the way to do it. Screw using arrows.

Killed Bed of Chaos last night. No joke, only took two tries. First try was because the ramp leading up to him is just a little to the right, and when I jumped I missed. 2nd time through, I jumped and made it. I've heard so many bad things about this boss, but he was pretty easy. It might be my gear that made it easy I don't know. His sweeps never knocked me around, and I was able to block everything. I'm using:

Stone Helm
Elite Knight Armour +9
Elite Knight Leggings +10
Silver Knight Gauntlets +4
Black Knight Shield +5
Steel Protection
RFAP
BSS Sword +15

SL80

The only bosses so far that really made me rage were O&S and Capra. Now onto TotG. I've already cleared Catacombs, thank god.

Combination of a good shield + luck + playing well. That fight can be a real pain

1) Can I open the shortcut to Lost Izalith before even going to Anor Londo by giving humanity to that spidery woman?
2) If I open the shortcut and leave the covenant, will it close?
3) At SL67, am I about the right level for Anor Londo/Demon Ruins/Catacombs?
4) Why is there no shortcut between Firelink Shrine and Quelaag's Domain? Its a bit of a trek

Cheers :)

Sullichin

1) Can I open the shortcut to Lost Izalith before even going to Anor Londo by giving humanity to that woman?
2) If I open the shortcut and leave the covenant, will it close?
3) At SL67, am I about the right level for Anor Londo/Demon Ruins/Catacombs?
4) Why is there no shortcut between Firelink Shrine and Quelaag's Domain? Its a bit of a trek

Cheers :)

1) You can activate the shortcut, but you can't use it as there will be a yellow fog door in demon ruins before the entrance until you place the lordvessel. The shortcut isn't really that helpful.
2) Once you open it it stays open. Same goes if you don't join the covenant and open it from the other side.
3) Weapons are more important than levels, but yeah probably
4) After Anor Londo you'll get the ability to warp between selected bonfires. Daughter of Chaos is one

1) You can activate the shortcut, but you can't use it as there will be a yellow fog door in demon ruins before the entrance until you place the lordvessel. The shortcut isn't really that helpful.
2) Once you open it it stays open. Same goes if you don't join the covenant and open it from the other side.
3) Weapons are more important than levels, but yeah probably
4) After Anor Londo you'll get the ability to warp between selected bonfires. Daughter of Chaos is one

Cheers. Balls to going all the way down there just to rejoin the covenant then :p

Argh. Final boss. The first two times I got extremely close to killing him, but died. And I've tried about 10 times since then and haven't gotten nearly as close as I did the first two times. What gives? Hah.

For fun, for the last couple of times I've tried Havel's armor + Iron Flesh + Cloranthy and Grass Crest + Black Knight Greatsword. It seems to work very well, until he's at a bout 25% health. At that point he generally picks me up and throws me, which seems to always coincide with Iron Flesh wearing off.

The pyromancy that you get by joining is very very good. The one that she gives you from ranking up is also nice, but in my personal playing style I find lacking.

EDIT: guess you knew that already! Carry on...

I can't use any magic except for buffs. Only got like 12 Intelligence and 11 Faith :(

I only want to level up the covenant so I can
save Solaire

Sullichin

Argh. Final boss. The first two times I got extremely close to killing him, but died. And I've tried about 10 times since then and haven't gotten nearly as close as I did the first two times. What gives? Hah.

For fun, for the last couple of times I've tried Havel's armor + Iron Flesh + Cloranthy and Grass Crest + Black Knight Greatsword. It seems to work very well, until he's at a bout 25% health. At that point he generally picks me up and throws me, which seems to always coincide with Iron Flesh wearing off.

After he misses the throw animation it is safe to attack. But by far, the best way to beat him is parry/riposte. Block the first horizontal swipe, parry the second.
I can't use an

y magic except for buffs. Only got like 12 Intelligence and 11 Faith :(

I only want to level up the covenant so I can
save Solaire

You don't need any stat investment to use pyromancy. Except attunement to have the spell slots. The damage is soley increased by upgrading your pyromancy glove. And yeah if you want to do what you spoilered then you need to use the shortcut, it's not worth it otherwise

After he misses the throw animation it is safe to attack. But by far, the best way to beat him is parry/riposte. Block the first horizontal swipe, parry the second.

Yeah, for some reason I got two parry's on him without even trying my first time...but I haven't gotten a single parry on him since. =( My timing is just completely off, or I'm just thinking too hard about it. I find with parrying, if I focus too hard on timing I always miss. It just has to come natural.

I'll maybe try the Iron Flesh strategy once or twice more, or maybe a Flash Sweat instead. If that doesn't work I'll try to start parrying him again.

You don't need any stat investment to use pyromancy. Except attunement to have the spell slots. The damage is soley increased by upgrading your pyromancy glove. And yeah if you want to do what you spoilered then you need to use the shortcut, it's not worth it otherwise

So this is where I reach the point where I have to sacrifice my main stats to experiment with some magic :(

I'm in Darkroot Forest, so I guess I can farm for a while. What level does Attunement have to be before you get 2 slots?

Top Bottom