• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

sixghost

Killed Bed of Chaos last night. No joke, only took two tries. First try was because the ramp leading up to him is just a little to the right, and when I jumped I missed. 2nd time through, I jumped and made it. I've heard so many bad things about this boss, but he was pretty easy. It might be my gear that made it easy I don't know. His sweeps never knocked me around, and I was able to block everything. I'm using:

Stone Helm
Elite Knight Armour +9
Elite Knight Leggings +10
Silver Knight Gauntlets +4
Black Knight Shield +5
Steel Protection
RFAP
BSS Sword +15

SL80

The only bosses so far that really made me rage were O&S and Capra. Now onto TotG. I've already cleared Catacombs, thank god.
One of my favorite things about this game is that you will find some bosses unbelievably hard and some extremely easy based on your build and equipment. I always had trouble with O&S until I made a 2H STR/int glass cannon build with low armor and absolutely destroyed them in maybe 90 seconds. I had never really had trouble with Bed of Chaos until I used that same build though. I must have tried 10 times to make the jump, but I had little health and stamina, and didn't have a good shield, so I was getting destroyed by the swipes.

After the 4 kings fight I couldn't be any happier with my decision to use a trainer. That fight is designed in 2 ways to guarantee a minimum of 2 deaths and the subsequent 20 to 30 minute journey back to the boss fight. Then you have to beat the bosses.

I don't want to hear anyone claiming this game is 70+ hours again. Its a 40 hour game masquerading as a 70+ hour game. To think that before this I thought putting unskipable cutscenes before boss fights was the height of stupidity in game design.

zkylon

zkylewd
I ended up running. Ran like the wind, pushed the
archer knight
off the ledge and dropped to the balcony. Good stuff!

I really love this game, inversely proportional to how much it hates me.
Good idea, for some reason I breezed through it my first time but had a lot of trouble with that part on NG+ and NG++.

Still key is to always run.

Is it worth leveling up Resistance?
HAHHAHAHAHAHahHAHAHAHHHHAHHhahHAHAHHA

After the 4 kings fight I couldn't be any happier with my decision to use a trainer. That fight is designed in 2 ways to guarantee a minimum of 2 deaths and the subsequent 20 to 30 minute journey back to the boss fight. Then you have to beat the bosses.

I don't want to hear anyone claiming this game is 70+ hours again. Its a 40 hour game masquerading as a 70+ hour game. To think that before this I thought putting unskipable cutscenes before boss fights was the height of stupidity in game design.
There's a shortcut to them that makes the walk to them a lot shorter (look it up on youtube), but yeah, 4Ks to me is complete bullshit. Some aspects of that fight feel so completely random it almost broke me.

But really it doesn't matter if it's 70 or 40 hours, backtracking to the boss is a key ingredient of the game and I wouldn't change that for anything. It's a game in which you should laugh at your own deaths and do some analysis on why they happened. If you can't do that, then you're probably not ready for it.

Raide

Might have to redo my faith build. Got it to 45 ish but made the early mistake of killing SunBro. Now I am stuck on O&S. Serves me right for killing him off. :(

Any reason to raise Faith above the 25ish for lightning bolt? I should build a faith character and actually help people. :D

Sullichin

Uh, 20-30 minute walk? What way are you taking? It's a 2 minute trek from firelink, look around and you'll see that you can drop down to the drained part early in the level. What are you using the trainer to help with, spawning in front of the boss or something? I'd offer some helpful advice on 4K but it sounds like you'd rather cheat :p

Might have to redo my faith build. Got it to 45 ish but made the early mistake of killing SunBro. Now I am stuck on O&S. Serves me right for killing him off. :(

Any reason to raise Faith above the 25ish for lightning bolt? I should build a faith character and actually help people. :D

28 for wrath of the gods, 30 for sunlight blade/darkmoon blade

zkylon

zkylewd
Uh, 20-30 minute walk? What way are you taking? It's a 2 minute trek from firelink, look around and you'll see that you can drop down to the drained part early in the level. What are you using the trainer to help with, spawning in front of the boss or something?
Oh wait I hadn't read the 20 minute walk part lol.

Yeah even without the shortcut it can't take you more than 3 minutes.

Seanspeed

Banned
One of my favorite things about this game is that you will find some bosses unbelievably hard and some extremely easy based on your build and equipment. I always had trouble with O&S until I made a 2H STR/int glass cannon build with low armor and absolutely destroyed them in maybe 90 seconds. I had never really had trouble with Bed of Chaos until I used that same build though. I must have tried 10 times to make the jump, but I had little health and stamina, and didn't have a good shield, so I was getting destroyed by the swipes.
I tried a few different equipment builds for it and it didn't matter. I haven't leveled vitality, so that may have helped me survive its one-hit kill fire area attack, but otherwise, I had a very high stability shield(Silver Knight +5) and the poise ring with black iron gear as my main choice and I was still getting messed up.

Only died once for that fight and its cuz I didn't realize I could basically just wail away. Two handed Iaito +14 took them each down in no time. I actually had time to spare in between each one.

Also, what is a 'trainer'? :/

There's a shortcut to them that makes the walk to them a lot shorter (look it up on youtube), but yeah, 4Ks to me is complete bullshit. Some aspects of that fight feel so completely random it almost broke me.

But really it doesn't matter if it's 70 or 40 hours, backtracking to the boss is a key ingredient of the game and I wouldn't change that for anything. It's a game in which you should laugh at your own deaths and do some analysis on why they happened. If you can't do that, then you're probably not ready for it.

I don't need a shortcut back to them, I have a trainer. I don't need to consult pages and pages of walkthroughs to find out why I die as soon as I walk into the fight, I have a trainer. I don't need to wonder why my attacks aren't doing any damage, I have a trainer.

There is a lot to love about this game but that shouldn't mean people defend what cant be defended. Shitty game design is shitty game design.

There is absolutely no excuse for someone needing a special ring to walk into an area. None. It's shitty game design. it's there to guarantee at least 1 death the first time through. Think about if you didn't have a guide or other people to consult when you got to this part. Most people would assume that they just weren't supposed to be there yet.

If the developer wants to include it then there needs to be some kind of way of delivering that message in the immediate area through either a clear visual aid (a sign, statue, or maybe a carving or painting on a wall)or an NPC. And it has to be in the immediate area, not way back at the beginning of the level. There, thats good game design.

Intentionally putting bonfires as far away from boss fights as possible isnt shitty game design because it is intentionally done to artificially lengthen a game. Many games do this and it is always completely transparent why. It's no different than fetch missions in games that send you from one side of the game world to another then back again. The only difference for fans of Dark Souls is that the name of the game is Dark Souls instead of Skyrim or Borderlands. And this is coming from somebody who only used the bonfire warp at the end of Ash Lake, Demon Ruins, and the end of Dukes Archives. And I would have preferred to have not even have used it in those situations. To me fast travel ruins the game experience.

Now we come up to a boss fight where the bosses don't take any damage. This is, again, at least 1 guaranteed death your first time through. Probably more than that if the player fought the boss fight at the Dukes Archives first. Because now they are going to be looking around for something to destroy so the 4 kings will take damage.

Now I know what you are going to say. You are going to say I should know that I need either a cursed weapon or a transient curse since I just fought the ghosts. Except I didnt just fight the ghosts. The ghosts were a fight from earlier in the level and at this point players would have gone 20 to 30 minutes since the last ghost fight while they explored the area and fought enemies that didnt require the player to have either a cursed weapon or a transient curse. Even if the player realizes why the 4 kings arent taking damage they now have to manipulate inventory to get to a cursed weapon or transient curse. no player is likely to be able to pull this off in time. It's clearly designed to get at least 1 more death + travel back to the area.

Good game design in this instance would have been at least re-introducing ghosts or even better another enemy that required a cursed weapon or a transient curse as the player is approaching the entrance to The Abyss. That's good game design.

Sullichin

I don't need a shortcut back to them, I have a trainer. I don't need to consult pages and pages of walkthroughs to find out why I die as soon as I walk into the fight, I have a trainer. I don't need to wonder why my attacks aren't doing any damage, I have a trainer.

There is a lot to love about this game but that shouldn't mean people defend what cant be defended. Shitty game design is shitty game design.

There is absolutely no excuse for someone needing a special ring to walk into an area. None. It's shitty game design. it's there to guarantee at least 1 death the first time through. Think about if you didn't have a guide or other people to consult when you got to this part. Most people would assume that they just weren't supposed to be there yet.

If the developer wants to include it then there needs to be some kind of way of delivering that message in the immediate area through either a clear visual aid (a sign, statue, or maybe a carving or painting on a wall)or an NPC. And it has to be in the immediate area, not way back at the beginning of the level. There, thats good game design.

Intentionally putting bonfires as far away from boss fights as possible isnt shitty game design because it is intentionally done to artificially lengthen a game. Many games do this and it is always completely transparent why. It's no different than fetch missions in games that send you from one side of the game world to another then back again. The only difference for fans of Dark Souls is that the name of the game is Dark Souls instead of Skyrim or Borderlands. And this is coming from somebody who only used the bonfire warp at the end of Ash Lake, Demon Ruins, and the end of Dukes Archives. And I would have preferred to have not even have used it in those situations. To me fast travel ruins the game experience.

Now we come up to a boss fight where the bosses don't take any damage. This is, again, at least 1 guaranteed death your first time through. Probably more than that if the player fought the boss fight at the Dukes Archives first. Because now they are going to be looking around for something to destroy so the 4 kings will take damage.

Now I know what you are going to say. You are going to say I should know that I need either a cursed weapon or a transient curse since I just fought the ghosts. Except I didnt just fight the ghosts. The ghosts were a fight from earlier in the level and at this point players would have gone 20 to 30 minutes since the last ghost fight while they explored the area and fought enemies that didnt require the player to have either a cursed weapon or a transient curse. Even if the player realizes why the 4 kings arent taking damage they now have to manipulate inventory to get to a cursed weapon or transient curse. no player is likely to be able to pull this off in time. It's clearly designed to get at least 1 more death + travel back to the area.

Good game design in this instance would have been at least re-introducing ghosts or even better another enemy that required a cursed weapon or a transient curse as the player is approaching the entrance to The Abyss. That's good game design.

Shitty game design is completely subjective, not fact, and you're just using your complaints about the game to justify using a trainer.

I usually see messages on the ground saying "need ring" near the abyss. When you talk to Ingward he tells you that the abyss cannot be traversed by everyone and you should seek out artorias. When you kill sif the description of the ring you get tells you it allows you to walk in the abyss. If you die a couple of times figuring this out what's the big deal? I happen to think it's a good design choice to force me to wear a ring during the boss fight. It forces me to make a sacrifice/change up my setup on nearly every build, separating it from the other boss fights a bit.

You don't need any special weapon to do damage to the 4 kings. Maybe your trainer is broken. You can literally defeat them with any weapon and you don't need to use transient curse or be cursed either. You just need to wear the ring.

LegatoB

You don't need to be cursed to damage the Four Kings. Maybe you should stop using your cheat program, it seems to be hurting far more than it's helping.

You don't need to be cursed to damage the Four Kings. Maybe you should stop using your cheat program, it seems to be hurting far more than it's helping.

Are you sure? Because I wasn't using the trainer the first time I fought them. I have a game save from before that fight for a thread I'm going to make for people who might be considering Dark Souls. Let me just switch my game saves and head right back in there and see if it happens again.

Kunohara

I will admit that sometimes the game really does need to inform the player of certain aspects of the game. But you also have to realize that the game is also about exploring. It rewards you, and sometimes is necessary, to explore everything, even the item descriptions. The game does not hold your hand, you have to figure things out. The developers did this very deliberately. As for the bonfires being far away. Most are not that far, and again, this was done because it is a subtle way of telling you to be patient, and not to rush into shit. If you take your time with anything in the game, it will work out. Running to the boss again is really part of the game. It sucks that you are using a trainer. It does take a chunk out of the game's experience. It is up to you whether you want to use it or not, I can't force you.

Well you guys are correct, they do take damage without using transient curse. Must have been a glitch although I cant find any results at all on google from anyone else having this glitch. I had the ring on, wasnt using a trainer, and was wearing the exact same armor and using the exact same weapons just now and the 1 king that had spawned didnt take any damage for a solid minute.

Well you guys are correct, they do take damage without using transient curse. Must have been a glitch although I cant find any results at all on google from anyone else having this glitch. I had the ring on, wasnt using a trainer, and was wearing the exact same armor and using the exact same weapons just now and the 1 king that had spawned didnt take any damage for a solid minute.

I know the first time I fought them, the Abyss really disoriented me, and I thought they were a lot closer then they actually were. The way the room was completely black ruined my depth perception, so I started swinging at them for awhile before I realized they were further away then I thought. Maybe it was something like that?

alazz

Bed of fucking Chaos. Hate that shit. Probably the cheapest boss in the game.

Nope, there's not a time aspect to it, it's a progression order thing. You can finish up the DLC without fear.

Basically you have to
get to level 2 of the chaos covenant, go through the shortcut to lost izalith, kill all the sunlight maggots until you get the special bug hat and you're done. You have to do this BEFORE you go past the lava centipede boss, so kill it or don't (doesn't matter), and backtrack and go through the shortcut.
No need to do all of that, and the the event triggers
right after you've entered Lost Izalith through the the lair, not just after killing the centipede.
. Cast Poison Breath (or whatever that pyromancer spell is) from the Demons Ruin side of the door and it'll kill it, too. At least, I think works equally as well. He showed up on the other side with no sign of insanity.

4K is one of the least challenging enemies in the game. Sif is way harder. Dodge, hack, heal. The only real requirement is that you hack as quickly as possible. It's an easy strategy, and apparently it's the same for heavy builds. I had 40 End, 25 Dex, 20 Vit, and a BSS +15 and killed him on my third try with no problem.

Why would you use a trainer when you can farm the Darkwraiths that are right there? Titanite Chunks and 1200 souls a pop, pretty good deal.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

4 kings were easy, beat them first try on most of my runs aside from sl1, on first one had a good amount of poise, realised they're close range melee attack damage was pathetic and r1 them to death with my +5 SKS. If your having trouble don't bother blocking or dodging apart from they're ranged attack and first melee attack they do as you approach them. Then just get right in their face and let loose. It's when you start circling behind and try to take no damage at all, is when they're more annoying attack patterns become apparant. If you simply face them like a man they're easy.

Bed of fucking Chaos. Hate that shit. Probably the cheapest boss in the game.

right after you've entered Lost Izalith through the the lair, not just after killing the centipede.
. Cast Poison Breath (or whatever that pyromancer spell is) from the Demons Ruin side of the door and it'll kill it, too. At least, I think works equally as well. He showed up on the other side with no sign of insanity.

4K is one of the least challenging enemies in the game. Sif is way harder. Dodge, hack, heal. The only real requirement is that you hack as quickly as possible. It's an easy strategy, and apparently it's the same for heavy builds. I had 40 End, 25 Dex, 20 Vit, and a BSS +15 and killed him on my third try with no problem.

Why would you use a trainer when you can farm the Darkwraiths that are right there? Titanite Chunks and 1200 souls a pop, pretty good deal.
The hell is sif hard, he's probably even easier. Dodge inside hit, rinse and repeat.

zkylon

zkylewd
Also, what is a 'trainer'? :/
It's a cheating app, that gives you free souls, etc.

deleted your post to make my shit more readable :p
You don't to be cursed/transient cursed to damage the 4Ks, I don't know why you think that, but you're wrong. In fact, many people purposely try to wait the transient curse to wear off to be able to cast magic like power within or iron skin, which couldn't be cast if you were cursed (because curses block buffs). And even if that were right, there are ghosts in the room just before the boss, so really unless you were sprinting through the room (in which case you're either playing it wrong or you already died and are running back to the boss) you'd have to be cursed to be able to get through it.

But that's unimportant, just a mix-up on your part. The part about the covenant of artorias is better, and I do agree it's pretty dumb, but not for the reasons you mention. I mean, I just saw a lot of player messages saying "EQUIP RING" so I went to my inventory, checked it out and equipped it. The problem is that players may get there without having gotten the ring, and that's where it's pretty dumb, they should've gated those things together.

Anyways, the important thing is the backtracking part. My problem with what you say is that you talk of "Intentionally putting bonfires as far away from boss fights" like it's a 20 minute trek. It's not. It takes you 5 minutes the first time, 3 minutes the second time and 2 on the fifth, because by then you know which rooms you can sprint through, etc. It doesn't take really all that long. The only exception being the 4Ks and maybe the Bed of Chaos, both of which have pretty contrived shortcuts, but they're the exceptions rather than the average. In most other cases, you get to the bosses pretty darned fast.

I mean, it's just like Megaman or any game with no save-anywhere option, the difficulty and the gameplay loop are based around the fact that you have to "forwardtrack" everytime you die, so it helps build up tension, make you think harder on why you've been defeated (because you really can't stand walking that walk again) and makes victory all the sweeter.

Dark Souls isn't perfect and it's sometimes unfair, but bad game design is not among its crimes. If anything, it's game design is art.

Shitty game design is completely subjective, not fact, and you're just using your complaints about the game to justify using a trainer.

I usually see messages on the ground saying "need ring" near the abyss. When you talk to Ingward he tells you that the abyss cannot be traversed by everyone and you should seek out artorias. When you kill sif the description of the ring you get tells you it allows you to walk in the abyss. If you die a couple of times figuring this out what's the big deal? I happen to think it's a good design choice to force me to wear a ring during the boss fight. It forces me to make a sacrifice/change up my setup on nearly every build, separating it from the other boss fights a bit.
Ah, didn't remember that. Then maybe it's not so dumb having them not being gated together, then.

In any case, I don't think game design is subjective at all, while some parts of design in general are, there's grounded game design theories and analysis that speak in favor and against Dark Souls' game design. The subjective part is whether you support those, but that doesn't really matter all that much.

Reality is that Dark Souls' design is marvelous, it's subtle and mysterious and exciting, it encourages people to build a community, it punishes you when you play the game wrong, but rewards you tenfold when you display mastery of mechanics and at that those mechanics are superbly refined through good level and gameplay design, since most enemies and level design just help push those mechanics forward.

There's missteps but nothing in life is ever perfect.

Yeah I know, I was just recommending the "canon" way of doing it. I don't know why that event is attached to the Chaos covenant, but it's food for the mind.

I know the first time I fought them, the Abyss really disoriented me, and I thought they were a lot closer then they actually were. The way the room was completely black ruined my depth perception, so I started swinging at them for awhile before I realized they were further away then I thought. Maybe it was something like that?

That did happen to me at first as well. But I did close in on him and bump into him and could see the that I was clearly hitting him. No reaction from the health bar at all.

It's a shame then. I had fully intended to give every part of the game a fair shot without using the trainer. And while the 4 kings do deal considerable damage on some attacks it wasnt anything I couldnt handle by putting some distance between me and them and quickly using estus or humanity. But with the boss not taking any damage for a solid minute i just quit out of the game then restarted with the trainer running.

You don't to be cursed/transient cursed to damage the 4Ks, I don't know why you think that, but you're wrong. In fact, many people purposely try to wait the transient curse to wear off to be able to cast magic like power within or iron skin, which couldn't be cast if you were cursed (because curses block buffs). And even if that were right, there are ghosts in the room just before the boss, so really unless you were sprinting through the room (in which case you're either playing it wrong or you already died and are running back to the boss) you'd have to be cursed to be able to get through it.

But that's unimportant, just a mix-up on your part. The part about the covenant of artorias is better, and I do agree it's pretty dumb, but not for the reasons you mention. I mean, I just saw a lot of player messages saying "EQUIP RING" so I went to my inventory, checked it out and equipped it. The problem is that players may get there without having gotten the ring, and that's where it's pretty dumb, they should've gated those things together.

Anyways, the important thing is the backtracking part. My problem with what you say is that you talk of "Intentionally putting bonfires as far away from boss fights" like it's a 20 minute trek. It's not. It takes you 5 minutes the first time, 3 minutes the second time and 2 on the fifth, because by then you know which rooms you can sprint through, etc. It doesn't take really all that long. The only exception being the 4Ks and maybe the Bed of Chaos, both of which have pretty contrived shortcuts, but they're the exceptions rather than the average. In most other cases, you get to the bosses pretty darned fast.

I mean, it's just like Megaman or any game with no save-anywhere option, the difficulty and the gameplay loop are based around the fact that you have to "forwardtrack" everytime you die, so it helps build up tension, make you think harder on why you've been defeated (because you really can't stand walking that walk again) and makes victory all the sweeter.

Dark Souls isn't perfect and it's sometimes unfair, but bad game design is not among its crimes. If anything, it's game design is art.

Ah, didn't remember that. Then maybe it's not so dumb having them not being gated together, then.

In any case, I don't think game design is subjective at all, while some parts of design in general are, there's grounded game design theories and analysis that speak in favor and against Dark Souls' game design. The subjective part is whether you support those, but that doesn't really matter all that much.

Reality is that Dark Souls' design is marvelous, it's subtle and mysterious and exciting, it encourages people to build a community, it punishes you when you play the game wrong, but rewards you tenfold when you display mastery of mechanics and at that those mechanics are superbly refined through good level and gameplay design, since most enemies and level design just help push those mechanics forward.

There's missteps but nothing in life is ever perfect.

Those ghosts arent in the final room if you've done a sweep of the top area. The area you go through when the water level is still up. Thats where those ghost come from. Sprinting through areas like New Londo isnt feasible because some of the ghosts have such a large range they will track you from and they will follow you much further than most enemies since they can go through walls.

No 5 minutes or 3 minutes isnt correct. It would take 3 minutes to get to the first lever in New Londo. If a player lost souls and humanity in the boss fight they sure arent going to rush through the area and take a chance on dying a second time. This also means nobody is going to risk trying to find a shortcut when they wont know if its safe. If a player is trying to get back to his souls without dying a second time i would say 20 minutes to get back to the boss is pretty accurate. If you do die a second time then all bets are off and sure someone would be willing to try a shortcut or try rushing through areas.

No game is above criticism of its game design because no game is perfect from beginning to end. This includes 4 of my all time favorite games System Shock 2, Half Life 2, Portal 2, and Ico. Those are the 4 best games I've ever played and all have sections that should have been designed better. Dark Souls is no different and it's flaws should not be ignored.

zkylon

zkylewd
Those ghosts arent in the final room if you've done a sweep of the top area. The area you go through when the water level is still up. Thats where those ghost come from. Sprinting through areas like New Londo isnt feasible because some of the ghosts have such a large range they will track you from and they will follow you much further than most enemies since they can go through walls.

No 5 minutes or 3 minutes isnt correct. It would take 3 minutes to get to the first lever in New Londo. If a player lost souls and humanity in the boss fight they sure arent going to rush through the area and take a chance on dying a second time. This also means nobody is going to risk trying to find a shortcut when they wont know if its safe. If a player is trying to get back to his souls without dying a second time i would say 20 minutes to get back to the boss is pretty accurate. If you do die a second time then all bets are off and sure someone would be willing to try a shortcut or try rushing through areas.

No game is above criticism of its game design because no game is perfect from beginning to end. This includes 4 of my all time favorite games System Shock 2, Half Life 2, Portal 2, and Ico. Those are the 4 best games I've ever played and all have sections that should have been designed better. Dark Souls is no different and it's flaws should not be ignored.
Huh, don't know where you're getting that I'm saying DS is above criticism, but I agree, it has flaws, I'm just saying that the thing you say is not one of them.

To be honest, to me it seems like you're too attached to your souls, when I was playing Demon's Souls I eventually realized that souls you get from normal game progression are meaningless, that the only thing that matters is getting to that boss, and to worry about souls later. It helped tremendously in playing the game on a cooler head and just enjoying it. The way I figured that out was because the game told me to by punishing me for being so concerned with them.

If it's taking you 20 minutes to get back to the boss each time you die, maybe you should think that you're better off saying goodbye to them and maybe farming souls for like half an hour total later?

If you've already lost your souls from dying twice in a row(which happens a lot in boss fights), then lost soul is no longer an issue.

After clearing the water, there's no way it takes 20 minutes to get to 4K if you know the right way, it's not even that dangerous either. I start from firelink shrine, go down the elevator, when I reach the bottom, I step on the elevator switch again to send it back up in case I die, I run past the first 2 ghosts(who will not track you once you jump down), jump down the ledge to the lower parts of New Londo, and then run straight to the 4K room. I only had to dodge twice on the whole way, first against the darkwraith I meet after dropping down, second at the room before 4K (with the non-spawning blob monster).

If you send the elevator back up every time, a single run will only take around 5 minutes. You will meet a total of 3 ghosts, the first 2 will not track you, the third one will only be relevant if you linger too long at the fog gate. I've been doing this for all my characters including my SL1 character, it's really not that difficult.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Duh. I'm so disappointed you used that cheap quit&reload technique :(

I'm not proud of it myself, but cheap enemies require cheap tactics sometimes. I actually have done the speedrun method where you clear the whole thing in one go, but it's so inconsistent for me and I'm no good at it. I'd much rather just get the boss over with...

I agree it isn't without flaws...but I don't think that area or boss is one of them. There are actually two different short cuts if you count the valley of the drakes entrance. It is very "soulish" overall. Perhaps you were just not close enough to the 4 kings the first time? It is quite deceptive. I'm also guessing you didn't play Demon souls, because that was like 10 times worse in this regard. That however is all part of the charm of the series to me and I wish Dark Souls had a few more similarly brutal areas.

Now Crystal caves and lost izalith? Yeah they were straight up shit.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I agree it isn't without flaws...but I don't think that area or boss is one of them. There are actually two different short cuts if you count the valley of the drakes entrance. It is very "soulish" overall. Perhaps you were just not close enough to the 4 kings the first time? It is quite deceptive. I'm also guessing you didn't play Demon souls, because that was like 10 times worse in this regard. That however is all part of the charm to me.

Now Crystal caves and lost izalith? Yeah they were straight up shit.

I don't think he knows about the skip to where you kick the ladder down, or the skip to the bottom where you can rush past the Darkwraiths. Including the Valley of Drakes shortcut that's three quick routes back to the boss. None of which require anymore than three minutes lollygagging.

Lost Izalith was just really unfinished. Crystal Caves seemed more like a VERY early and small chunk of what needed to be a bigger level, a total afterthought. Hopefully DS2 doesn't get rushed the same way.

YESSSSSS.

Beat the final boss, finally. I probably lost to him about 20 times...his moveset was just in direct opposition to my playstyle (particularly in how it's really hard to get a moment to get your bearings in that fight, and recover). Had a good streak of parry's, and then finally finished him off. Extra satisfying given how bad I am at parry's.

Wow. Such a fantastic game. Going to take a break for awhile, but will definitely come back for New Game+.

Now I'm going to watch some of EpicNameBro's lore videos, so I can finally figure out what the heck was going on in the story.

alazz

The hell is sif hard, he's probably even easier. Dodge inside hit, rinse and repeat.
Well, I didn't even know what was going on when I fought him first. I summoned a dude for no particular reason, and he led me back there. Sif's attacks hit me hard so I kept my distance. I probably only got a total of five hits against him (but I did get the fatal hit), while my buddy shot lightning at him and killed him in about four or five bolts. Still, it wasn't a hard fight. 4Ks, however, is a super easy fight. You just need to attack them. There's no special strategy or moment of vulnerability to it.

The shortcut is easier and safer than the initial route.
So when you enter the area from the Firelink Shrine elevator, you remember the corpse with an item on it in the first area you fought the ghosts? It's to the right of the staircase. If you jump off the ledge that runs perpendicular to the stair wall you'll be in that pool of mud outside the building you would otherwise enter from the stairs. From there, you only encounter three darkwraiths and two (sometimes a third) ghosts. It really does take about 3 minutes to get from the base of the elevator to 4Ks.

Also, you need to note care if you lose a lot of souls. Souls are not finite and you can easily farm them. It seems like an especially big loss early on, but eventually it matters less and less. If you're at 4Ks you should already have a sufficient stats to have gotten to that point, so you should be focusing on weapon upgrades more than soul level at that point, in my opinion. Go back to stats once you've upgraded a scaling weapon you like. That whole area provides you with the right materials to do all of that easily. Farm Darkwraiths with covetous gold serpent ring and humanity, break down Titanite Chunks if necessary, and upgrade weapons and armor. You should have a ton of souls left over for at least one stat upgrade.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Guys, want to ask you folks something; it's for the Prepare to Die Edition for the Xbox360.

I just bought this from someone but as far as I could see there's no difference whatsoever between this "new version" I bought and the vanilla version. I mean, the intro screen is the same and everything all that. Note that I haven't played the game for more than, probably, 10 minutes before.

What's the difference and where I can tell that the one I bought is the Prepare to Die Edition? Cause maybe I am getting bamboozled here, gah. Is "prepare to die" writing splashed anywhere within the intro/menu screen or not?

alazz

Guys, want to ask you folks something; it's for the Prepare to Die Edition for the Xbox360.

I just bought this from someone but as far as I could see there's no difference whatsoever between this "new version" I bought and the vanilla version. I mean, the intro screen is the same and everything all that. Note that I haven't played the game for more than, probably, 10 minutes before.

What's the difference and where I can tell that the one I bought is the Prepare to Die Edition? Cause maybe I am getting bamboozled here, gah. Is "prepare to die" writing splashed anywhere within the intro/menu screen or not?

You won't be able to access the content until later on in the game.
Sorry, I can't be of much help because I have the PC edition, but the main menu screen on PC says "Prepare to Die Edition." FROM could've just bundled the original console version with the DLC and made no changes to the main menu.

Seanspeed

Banned
What is wrong with me? I got to the Crystal Caves, died, and now I cant for the life of me find my way back now. I've spent the last 30 minutes messing around with these stairs and I'm completely and totally clueless. I've read walkthrough and watched videos but everything looks so similar, its not helping one bit.

Shit. This stuff is frustrating, not fun.

What is wrong with me? I got to the Crystal Caves, died, and now I cant for the life of me find my way back now. I've spent the last 30 minutes messing around with these stairs and I'm completely and totally clueless. I've read walkthrough and watched videos but everything looks so similar, its not helping one bit.

Did you get the bonfire on the far end of the archives? (The one that's on sort of a balcony.) Just head right from that bonfire, and down the stairs in that room.

Which bonfire are you going from?

Seanspeed

Banned
I got to the bonfire on the balcony. I've found my way to where I want to go now, but I've died a few times, I cant beat these butterfly things and I'm about out of prism stones.

I dont know, I could deal with the more tedious aspects of the game early on, but now its wearing thin. Is it really that worth going on? I'm at the end of the game I think. This will be my last 'Lord Soul' I need.

sixghost

I got to the bonfire on the balcony. I've found my way to where I want to go now, but I've died a few times, I cant beat these butterfly things and I'm about out of prism stones.

I dont know, I could deal with the more tedious aspects of the game early on, but now its wearing thin. Is it really that worth going on? I'm at the end of the game I think. This will be my last 'Lord Soul' I need.

Maybe take a break for a day or two. You reach the point of diminishing returns in Dark Souls very quickly once you're frustrated.

You really don't need to fight any of the butterflies in the cave. If you are online, use the messages on the hidden bridges to guide the way. If those aren't there and you are out of prism stones, slow down and watch the snowflakes falling. It will be very clear if they are hitting the invisible bridge. The critical path of the Crystal Cave is extremely small. It only gets frustrating if you are trying to kill every enemy and get all the loot. The only time invisible bridges are difficult to navigate are when you are going after the loot. All the critical path bridges are straight lines.

You're so close to the end of the game, and the final area/boss are worth it IMO.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Just ignore the butterflies and keep moving towards the boss, you can run past the
clams
before the boss door too. I recommend it. And yeah, it's worth continuing.

Hellcrow

Decided to go forest hunting a bit. My first invasion, and I find the terrified guy grabbing the fog gate entrance. He then sends me a message "DON'T KILL ME, I WANNA KILL SIF". Feeling rather generous, I roll of a cliff. He then asks if he can summon me. Why not? Jolly Co-Op and a dead Sif. Felt good.

Decided to go forest hunting a bit. My first invasion, and I find the terrified guy grabbing the fog gate entrance. He then sends me a message "DON'T KILL ME, I WANNA KILL SIF". Feeling rather generous, I roll of a cliff. He then asks if he can summon me. Why not? Jolly Co-Op and a dead Sif. Felt good.

I'm surprised you didn't get vaporized by multiple white phantoms with dark magic and wrath of gods, it is the forest after all.

I was invading at the Depth and came across this one guy who started talking through the mic and freaking out about fighting me. So I decided to just follow him around and watch him fight, all the while messing with him by suddenly running up his back and doing a parry, and hearing him freak out, he then started telling me about his prior experience of getting gangbanged by multiple invaders, in the end I just left and he thanked me for not killing him.

It's funny because he probably had a decent chance at beating me because he was running around with a BK sword and I was cosplaying as Lautrec so I didn't even have a shield.

alazz

Yeah, you can entirely ignore the butterflies. The cave is really straightforward, except for the invisible bridges and only two of them are required to complete the area. You don't even need to use prism stones, so it's pretty easy!
You can run past the golems in the grassy area before the cave, and run past the first one in the cave. The golem after the first invisible bridge doesn't respawn. The only other enemies you need to fight are the crab things before the boss. Just let them attack and attack them during their recovery frames. When you reach the platform after the bridge golem, look down and you'll see a golden golem. Drop down on top of him and you'll safely land on an invisible bridge above him. (Turn around and you'll see two crystal lizards.) Run straight along it and pay attention to the flakes of crystal falling before you (to ensure you're properly on the path) and you're at the end, more or less.

The boss can be annoying if you don't know what to expect, but
shatter the crystal as the fight begins and as Seath's prepping its laser beam, run directly at it and hack at its leg thing. Try to go for its leg because if you go directly facing it, I imagine, you could be hit by its beam that shoots vertically at the ground. After the field of crystals shatter, run back; repeat. Two-hand your weapon, because a shield isn't going to be useful. He's an easy boss, all things considered.
Don't get caught in its attacks or else you'll have limited resources next time around. Keep track of your back. The arena is big, but be careful not to lose track of your surroundings.

It's entirely possible (and likely) that you'll be able to kill it on your first encounter without even using estus.

After all of that I wonder what are you doing in this thread...

bj00rn_

Banned
After all of that I wonder what are you doing in this thread...

It is possible to enjoy the game at the same time as being able to see the flaws. And many parts of the game is quite..shitty.. Some of the areas are obviously rushed, and there's, crap game design all over the place. But the good thing is that the great parts of DS1 are rather amazing. Couple that with good sales and possible increased budget for DS1 and we have a very, very promising future for DS2.

Anyway I am still surprised over how different it is to play the game with a sorcerer build (and some research on the internets..) than a warrior build for me. And now I'm homing in at the end, despite giving up the 360 version run a few months ago.

Top Bottom