• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

What's the problem with strength weapons? They are still my favorite.
It's actually easier to parry a fast weapon using the shield/taking 1 hit technique, but you can't parry most of the 2H R2 str weapons attacks. Besides they are the best for stunlock and do ton of damage with less investment compared to the other stat builds (27-34 str is enough).

I think the game is currently well balanced between these 3 builds (str, dex and quality).

They are probably my favorite too. It seems like dex gets more advantages though. Easier to hit poise breakpoints and still fast roll, bleed, less stamina drain on attacks, faster attacks, cast time bonus. It's easier for me to parry strength weapons than katana bleed spammers but of course good str users won't make it so easy. Anyway, I still think str weapons are good but I still want them to be able to bs because when you use str, people tend to go for the parries more, and a great way to punish that is with a club to the ass. They shouldn't have a huge crit modifier or anything though.

Nekki

My god Sen's Fortress was a bitch to traverse. The golem wasn't so hard, beat him on my third try, but the rest of the fortress was horrible!! Mainly those narrow bridges...

I found a guy that sells large titanite shards, so I bought some and upgraded some more, Zwei is +10 now, and does a good amount of damage. I also bought the main part of the Catarina armor, and I'll slowly replace my old armor with that one, much nicer stats.

So I guess now's time for Anor Londo. I've been there but went back to upgrade and explore Sen's some more.

Also I've upgraded my shield some, but I don't see how it can be worth it? Does anybody upgrade shields??

Sullichin

My god Sen's Fortress was a bitch to traverse. The golem wasn't so hard, beat him on my third try, but the rest of the fortress was horrible!! Mainly those narrow bridges...

I found a guy that sells large titanite shards, so I bought some and upgraded some more, Zwei is +10 now, and does a good amount of damage. I also bought the main part of the Catarina armor, and I'll slowly replace my old armor with that one, much nicer stats.

So I guess now's time for Anor Londo. I've been there but went back to upgrade and explore Sen's some more.

Also I've upgraded my shield some, but I don't see how it can be worth it? Does anybody upgrade shields??

Yes, upgrading increases the stability of the shield, which lessens how much stamina is drained upon block

zkylon

zkylewd

Yes, upgrade them as much as you can, better stability = less stamina drained = more blocks/rolls.

Nekki

Yes, upgrading increases the stability of the shield, which lessens how much stamina is drained upon block

Oh, then I'll keep doing it for sure. I kinda noticed it did that, but probably chose to ignore it heh.

Also two more questions:

1) Is there a minimum level i should follow for places?? I know they're not compulsory, and one can build a character with any stat they please, but it never hurts to ask. I'm a SL38 Knight, and I have aroudn 27 str, I probably put 1 or 2 points in resistance, and enough dexterity to wield the Zweihander and Halberd. The rest I alternate between Vitality and Endurance. I've done alright until now, so I guess I'm not screwing up.

2) How does magic work? I don't really get the system, and I don't know if I should invest into getting better magic being a Knight.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, then I'll keep doing it for sure. I kinda noticed it did that, but probably chose to ignore it heh.

Also two more questions:

1) Is there a minimum level i should follow for places?? I know they're not compulsory, and one can build a character with any stat they please, but it never hurts to ask. I'm a SL38 Knight, and I have aroudn 27 str, I probably put 1 or 2 points in resistance, and enough dexterity to wield the Zweihander and Halberd. The rest I alternate between Vitality and Endurance. I've done alright until now, so I guess I'm not screwing up.

2) How does magic work? I don't really get the system, and I don't know if I should invest into getting better magic being a Knight.
1) Not really, but it gives you a good idea of little boosts you could do to improve your chances. Upgrading your equipment should be your main concern.

2) Miracles and spells have a faith/intelligence requirement to be learned and you can buy them at teachers you find along the game. You also need enough attunement to be able to equip those spells/miracles. So at a bonfire, you equip as many spells/miracles as you can, then you equip a catalyst/(forgot the name of the catalyst for miracles) as you would any other weapon and just cast your equipped spells.

Pyromancies are special in that they don't require any special stats to be learned (though they still cost you attunement slots to equip them). You can upgrade your Pyromancy damage by upgrading your Pyromancy Hand.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks, I guess I won't invest into magic this time around. I'll leave that for the next character :p
It's a good idea to get the Pyromancy Hand from Laurentis or the worm guy at the Fair Lady's, get two points in attunement and have it just for Power Within and Iron Flesh.

It doesn't end up costing you too much SL and you get at least those two kickass pyromancies.

Nekki

It's a good idea to get the Pyromancy Hand from Laurentis or the worm guy at the Fair Lady's, get two points in attunement and have it just for Power Within and Iron Flesh.

It doesn't end up costing you too much SL and you get at least those two kickass pyromancies.

Oh I do have the Pyromancy Hand and Power Within, but I never use it. Don't like my health being drained while i'm an easy meal for the monsters lol.

Thanks, I guess I won't invest into magic this time around. I'll leave that for the next character :p

The only suggestion I'll make is for your first run investing in enough INT (14) to use the light spell can come in handy for certain areas.

On your second run you can go all magic and see how free it makes the game (btw a talisman is used to cast miracles which use faith)

zkylon

zkylewd
The only suggestion I'll make is for your first run investing in enough INT (14) to use the light spell can come in handy for certain areas.

On your second run you can go all magic and see how free it makes the game (btw a talisman is used to cast miracles which use faith)
Don't tell him that, you'll ruin his misery and pain, I mean, fun :)

But you should invest in pyromancy! Upgrading the glove/flame is not that bad and you don't havve to worry about putting points on int/faith, since it does not scale with any stat!

Booshka

They are probably my favorite too. It seems like dex gets more advantages though. Easier to hit poise breakpoints and still fast roll, bleed, less stamina drain on attacks, faster attacks, cast time bonus. It's easier for me to parry strength weapons than katana bleed spammers but of course good str users won't make it so easy. Anyway, I still think str weapons are good but I still want them to be able to bs because when you use str, people tend to go for the parries more, and a great way to punish that is with a club to the ass. They shouldn't have a huge crit modifier or anything though.

I punish so many parry attempts with a backstab on my Tank STR character. I use DGM and Large Club, so players are always trying to parry. The ability to backstab them when they whiff those second swing prediction parries is crucial to a lot of my fights. I guess I could just walk to their back and stunlock them if STR weapons didn't backstab, but I like the guaranteed high damage of a backstab, than relying on stunlock, especially when good players just toggle escape anyway.

If only small weapons could do critical weapons, there would be a lot less heavy weapon users.

Dresden

I think for general ganking purposes, the R1 spam with a fast dex weapon like a falchion is just too easy to abuse, and most people don't know how to punish.

I have way too many games on backlog but I'm getting the urge to go back...

I'm always conflicted on using my rarer titanite shards/crafting items on upgrading my gear since I'm worried I'm going to loot something better that I'll want to upgrade instead. :/

Sullichin

Okay what the hell is up with new players still using drake sword/knight shield. Knight shield makes sense, but they aren't finding the drake sword on their own, what guide is still recommending that crap?

Okay what the hell is up with new players still using drake sword/knight shield. Knight shield makes sense, but they aren't finding the drake sword on their own, what guide is still recommending that crap?

It might not be a guide, there's pretty much always messages on the ground underneath the bridge that hint at shooting the dragon's tail.

Fuck's sake. Making my way through New Londo with the Jagged Ghost Blade, and I unwittingly do that ridiculous move where you slash and do a backwards roll, right off the edge and to my death. Stupid move.

Also, looks like I need 18,000 souls to finish Big Hat Logan's story. Balls to that.

Fuck's sake. Making my way through New Londo with the Jagged Ghost Blade, and I unwittingly do that ridiculous move where you slash and do a backwards roll, right off the edge and to my death. Stupid move.

Also, looks like I need 18,000 souls to finish Big Hat Logan's story. Balls to that.

Aw man, that's happened to me probably 4 or 5 times...

I'm always accidentally doing that

Guess that eliminates any chance of me using the dagger then

I might've exaggerated, it's probably only happened to me about 3 times. Dagger type weapons are still fun, as long as you're aware of your surroundings, and make sure you don't accidentally hit that move.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Don't dagger types have the kick move? I thought the backflip move was only for small curved swords, like the scimitar, falchion, Quelaag's sword and jagged ghost blade.

It might not be a guide, there's pretty much always messages on the ground underneath the bridge that hint at shooting the dragon's tail.
That's how I found it, myself.

Nekki

Holy crap. I used a guide to return to the undead asylum. The Stray Demon really got buff! It just kept decimating me try after try, so I decided to just tank its wave, and hack at it with 2-handed Zwei slashes. I could only beat him because he kept doing the jump tho, so I was lucky. Also found out that I could trade with a crow or something. I don't like using guides but i would've never made it otherwise

Also, is Anor Londo as massive as it looks?? I get scared just by seeing it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Holy crap. I used a guide to return to the undead asylum. The Stray Demon really got buff! It just kept decimating me try after try, so I decided to just tank its wave, and hack at it with 2-handed Zwei slashes. I could only beat him because he kept doing the jump tho, so I was lucky. Also found out that I could trade with a crow or something. I don't like using guides but i would've never made it otherwise

It's pretty big and scary.

Hellcrow

Anor Londo is awesome! Just be patient, rash decisions get punished hard.

Drake S. is a very good starting weapon! It's easy to get with just a few arrows very early in the game! I'm not sure what's the problem here!

Nekki

Ok I'm kinda lost.I killed the gargoyle in the initial bridge and I've been roaming around, can't see where I should be going!

Edit: Lol I had to walk up the pillar... I was hoping not having to do that.

Okay, I get it. I've had enough of those archers for today, lol.

You can hit them with poison arrows at the very bottom, where those two harpy things are. That's how I ended up beating them, because I would always fall off when trying to fight them on the ledges...

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes, it is. And its unforgiving.

I'm on my SL4 playthrough and I cant beat Chaos Witch Quelagg for the life of me. This was one of the hardest bosses for me my first playthrough and I had to rely on a summon to get through, but even thats not helping me right now. Mildred dies very quickly and I cant do enough damage in the meantime to make things easier. That area attack gets me everytime. I try and move away and it means a 1-hit kill everytime. I need to just block that and take the huge HP hit, but it usually means getting hit again and dying.

Shit is difficult.

Ugh, Four Kings on New Game+. Any recommendations? From what I've read, the most important thing is to deal out a lot of damage quickly. But I can't seem to manage that, and seem to be quickly surrounded by four or five kings. I've tried using a +15 Lucerne, which does a good chunk of damage, but I feel it's just too slow. I've tried a +5 Black Knight Sword, but kind of the same problem. My +15 Longsword just didn't deal out damage quickly enough.

As for armor, I'm going with Havel's for the great damage and magic defense, and the Mask of the Child for the stamina regen. My shield is the Crest shield, as it blocks most of their magic attacks. Using Havel's ring so that I can get a medium roll.

Any suggestions on how to beat them on New Game+? I can get them down to about half health, but then get swarmed.

anastazius

Neo Member
The way I did is is using a maxed out and upgraded Pyromancy Glove, and Great Combustion spells. Pyromancy doesn't deplete stamina, and the best trick it to get as close as possible before you attack; their sword swings do a lot less damage the nearer you are to the Kings. When you run out of spells, two-hand your weapon and attack as fast as possible to do as much damage as you can. Green Moss helps lots with keeping your stamina up too.

Once they start their tell that they're gonna to their purple magic attack spell, you should be able to triple backstep away just in time for the spell to miss you.

Also you get get NPC help in the fight from Witch Beatrice if you've already summoned her once to help with the Moonlight Butterfly fight in Darkroot Forest. Hope that helps!

The way I did is is using a maxed out and upgraded Pyromancy Glove, and Great Combustion spells. Pyromancy doesn't deplete stamina, and the best trick it to get as close as possible before you attack; their sword swings do a lot less damage the nearer you are to the Kings. When you run out of spells, two-hand your weapon and attack as fast as possible to do as much damage as you can. Green Moss helps lots with keeping your stamina up too.

Once they start their tell that they're gonna to their purple magic attack spell, you should be able to triple backstep away just in time for the spell to miss you.

Also you get get NPC help in the fight from Witch Beatrice if you've already summoned her once to help with the Moonlight Butterfly fight in Darkroot Forest. Hope that helps!

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I haven't really used Pyromancy this playthrough, so I just went and +15'd my Pyromancy glove, and will give this a try now. In terms of Beatrice, I've read that it's actually more difficult on New Game+ if you summon her, as they spawn faster or something?

Holy shit, stone golems in royal woods are handing my ass
to me! Any tips?

Make sure you keep your distance, because they'll cast that spell that completely slows you. Only run up to them when you see an opening. They don't have a ton of HP, luckily.

hey guys just got this off the amazon dd sale. do i just do the durante fix 2.01? or wats the best one.

Yeah, just go ahead and install Durante's fix. That should get everything going just fine for you.

Make sure you keep your distance, because they'll cast that spell that completely slows you. Only run up to them when you see an opening. They don't have a ton of HP.

The DLC ones do have a lot of HP and are resistant to everything.

If you have magic, they are free like anything else. For melee? Bait out the big attack where their weapon gets stuck in the dirt. If it stays there, start circling around but do not close until they do the eruption follow up. Once they do, get some two handed strikes in but only a couple. Then roll back and start again.

Best to take them on 1v1, so draw away any other enemies and take them down first.

The DLC ones do have a lot of HP and are resistant to everything.

If you have magic, they are free like anything else. For melee? Bait out the big attack where their weapon gets stuck in the dirt. If it stays there, start circling around but do not close until they do the eruption follow up. Once they do, get some two handed strikes in but only a couple. Then roll back and start again.

Best to take them on 1v1, so draw away any other enemies and take them down first.

Oh, whoops, he did say Royal Wood. Apparently I don't know how to read, and assumed he said Darkroot Garden.

LProtag

I've picked the game up again but it's been a while since I played.

I got pretty lucky and got a Black Knight Sword drop from the first Black Knight. Is it worth using? I hear the greatsword is better, but that didn't drop for me from the greatsword wielding one.

Hellcrow

I've picked the game up again but it's been a while since I played.

I got pretty lucky and got a Black Knight Sword drop from the first Black Knight. Is it worth using? I hear the greatsword is better, but that didn't drop for me from the greatsword wielding one.

R1 is excellent for low lvl damage dealing. R2 is useless.

I'm on my SL4 playthrough and I cant beat Chaos Witch Quelagg for the life of me. This was one of the hardest bosses for me my first playthrough and I had to rely on a summon to get through, but even thats not helping me right now. Mildred dies very quickly and I cant do enough damage in the meantime to make things easier. That area attack gets me everytime. I try and move away and it means a 1-hit kill everytime. I need to just block that and take the huge HP hit, but it usually means getting hit again and dying.

Shit is difficult.
The build up to the attack is long enough that you can see when it's coming, so try to stay in view of her body and keep moving after a few hits (and don't lock on). I usually attack from the side - the legs - and try to stay away from the back as it blocks your view of what her body is doing and means she's more likely to do any of the big attacks like AoE, fart gas or the stomp.

Sometimes summons can send her AI koo-koo too, so it might be easier without Mildred. If she's just concentrating on you, you'll have a better idea of what attacks to expect.

Top Bottom