• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Raide

I started this game up (for the third time) on the weekend.

I'd played through twice on the PS3, but couldn't pass up the $11 Amazon deal.

MY GOD. With the Durante fix applied, downsampled, it looks worlds beyond the PS3 version. Such clarity! That frame rate! Sensational stuff.

My question: how does one access the Prepare To Die content? And what level should I be at before I tackle it?

I would double-dip for a PS4/720 version of Dark Souls with this fix but I am hoping DS2 will just be amazing without it. :D

Get the DoF settings right and places like Anor Londo looks damn stunning.

Beat Quelagg finally. Solo. SL4. Probably my best accomplishment so far. It required me to be more aggressive and get hits in when I could, but also avoid getting hit as much as possible, which would usually make me more cautious, but in this case, I just had to learn how to read the attacks, stay close, and not let up. I hate to take every little opportunity to take a swipe at a leg or at the head that I could.

So yea, that done, and since my weapons aren't upgraded much, I thought I might try a run through Sen's to get the Serpent Ring. That was also pretty difficult, but I did it. I learned how to use a lot of the traps against the enemies there.

But now I'm upset. I got the ring and went back to the Depths to farm Large Titanite Shards, thinking I should be getting them more regularly now, especially with 1 Humanity, meaning I have 350 item discovery. But nope. Apparently, the slime drops are completely unaffected by your item discovery rate. In fact, I did an experiment and found that I got more shards when I unequipped it. I put that down to luck, as the results were close, but in any case, it showed that it definitely doesn't increase the rate of shard drops. Which I was really mad about. I did 15 runs with the ring and then 15 runs without. The results:

With ring:

2 Green
3 Large

Without:

3 Green
1 Large

Really annoying. I'd like to do some side areas before finishing Sen's, but its going to be difficult without some properly upgraded weapons.
Well done on Queelag. I farm the Depths early for shards too and it can be wildly luck-based. I usually do it before Sen's so only 10 humanity, but sometimes I could go forever without getting a drop, then I'll get 3 in one run.

Are you using fire weapons or pyro? Slice through the slugs like butter with combustion or a +2/3 fire weapon.

Why not farm for the same chunks in Blighttown though - they have the same drops, but drop 5 green instead of 1. Or buy large titanite from the Sen's merchant.

Arjen

That black Baronique(sp?) knight in Sens has almost a 100% dropchange of large shards in my experience. And with the souls you make you can buy more from the merchant there.

Spent my sunday afternoon helping people kill the bell gargoyles! ca. 25 dudes! So good when you hear the bell tolling and you know you just helped that person do that!

At least two were hacking (don't understand why they summoned me), but from play style, only around 2 or 3 were really going there for the first time!

Next weekend gonna help on queelag!

It was a nice change of pace!

Just picked this up on the Amazon sale. Really liking it so far but honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I'm a knight and and using some sort of club with 97 damage that keeps breaking. Trying to defeat the Bell Gargoyles. Only found 2 bonfires so far though so having to repeat the same sections over and over when I inevitably die is a pain in the arse.

One hit from the Gargoyles lowers my stamina all the way and the next hit kills me. :( I suck.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well done on Queelag. I farm the Depths early for shards too and it can be wildly luck-based. I usually do it before Sen's so only 10 humanity, but sometimes I could go forever without getting a drop, then I'll get 3 in one run.

Are you using fire weapons or pyro? Slice through the slugs like butter with combustion or a +2/3 fire weapon.

Why not farm for the same chunks in Blighttown though - they have the same drops, but drop 5 green instead of 1. Or buy large titanite from the Sen's merchant.
Yea, I might try down in Blighttown. I'd rather not continue through Sen's anymore at the moment.

Just picked this up on the Amazon sale. Really liking it so far but honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I'm a knight and and using some sort of club with 97 damage that keeps breaking. Trying to defeat the Bell Gargoyles. Only found 2 bonfires so far though so having to repeat the same sections over and over when I inevitably die is a pain in the arse.

One hit from the Gargoyles lowers my stamina all the way and the next hit kills me. :( I suck.
If you've gotten that far, you're doing alright, dont worry.

Couple little tips:

- You should have reached an area right outside the Church where you can upgrade weapons and access a bonfire. Things are going to get extremely difficult if you neglect this.

- Stamina management is key throughout the game. Block an attack and then let go of the block button until you're about to get hit again. Sometimes just that small amount of recovery can be the difference between life and death(or at least getting staggered and taking damage).

- A lot of bosses have large swiping attacks that can be rolled through. This uses up less stamina than eating an attack by blocking in most cases. Its a little tricky at first and you'll inevitably get hit or die a couple times, but get the timing down and you can avoid a lot of punishment. Generally, you'll want to roll towards an the direction of an attack. So if the enemy swipes at you from your left, roll left. If the attack is straight at you(thrust or smash), then rolling either left or right works. Timing and direction are everything. Watch the enemy and pay attention to its attack patterns. Most attacks you can see coming ahead of time. This technique becomes essentually useless if you're wearing heavy equipment, though(equip load is greater than 50%).

Nekki

At the beginning the game can be quite frustrating. You should already start upgrading your equipment with Titanite shards. The blacksmith (spoiler tagging in case you don't want to know)
is in the opposite side of the church. He will upgrade your weapons and armor. There's also a bonfire nearby him.

A few tips for the gargoyle

1:
The battle is 1 on 1 until you get the gargoyle's hp to 50%, so you can relax until then.

2:
If you're in human form, you can summon a companion at the fog door to help you.

3:
The Gargoyles are weak to lighting element.

I hope those help a bit. Remember you can upgrade bonfires to extend your Estus Flask usage, by spending Humanity.

But now I'm upset. I got the ring and went back to the Depths to farm Large Titanite Shards, thinking I should be getting them more regularly now, especially with 1 Humanity, meaning I have 350 item discovery. But nope. Apparently, the slime drops are completely unaffected by your item discovery rate. In fact, I did an experiment and found that I got more shards when I unequipped it. I put that down to luck, as the results were close, but in any case, it showed that it definitely doesn't increase the rate of shard drops. Which I was really mad about. I did 15 runs with the ring and then 15 runs without. The results:

With ring:

2 Green
3 Large

Without:

3 Green
1 Large

Really annoying. I'd like to do some side areas before finishing Sen's, but its going to be difficult without some properly upgraded weapons.

In my opinion the best place to farm large titanite shards (aside from farming chunks from DWs in New Londo and then having Frampt break the chunks into shards) is the Blighttown swamp. You can get both large titanite shards and green shards, and the green shards drop in fives. You can amass a ton of upgrade stones in a relatively short amount of time. If you have humanity and the gold serpent ring it's pretty reliable, and the leeches aren't that dangerous.

Seanspeed

Banned
In my opinion the best place to farm large titanite shards (aside from farming chunks from DWs in New Londo and then having Frampt break the chunks into shards) is the Blighttown swamp. You can get both large titanite shards and green shards, and the green shards drop in fives. You can amass a ton of upgrade stones in a relatively short amount of time. If you have humanity and the gold serpent ring it's pretty reliable, and the leeches aren't that dangerous.
Yea, I went down there and got enough to upgrade the weapons I wanted to +10 in a pretty short amount of time, basing myself at the first Great hollow bonfire. So much time wasted in the Depths!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally picked this up for $11.50 during that Amazon CAG sale. As soon as I get my laptop situation figured out, I'm going to give this game a go. Anything I should know going into this series for the first time?

Finally picked this up for $11.50 during that Amazon CAG sale. As soon as I get my laptop situation figured out, I'm going to give this game a go. Anything I should know going into this series for the first time?

Install the DSFix. Either use a controller or install the mouse and keyboard fixes.

After that, good luck, and welcome to Dark Souls.

Nekki

Arm yourself with patience and courage!

Edit:

Well after Anor Londo, New Londo Ruins isn't that hard to traverse. It got me quite tense though most of the time, by now i know it all by heart probably. I hate places where you can't see much!!

I reached Four Kings, and after some petty attempts at killing it, I went back to the blacksmith and upgraded my Zweihander to +15 and the shield to +12. I switched my Havel's armor set to the Black Iron one, at least partially, as I'm still upgrading their parts, but the main body and the helm are already better stat-wise.

Instead of going back to get at FK, I decided to check out the catacombs, back when I was only traversing The Depths I ran away from that place. Have I mentioned how much i hate dark places in this game???

But the dungeon wasn't that hard, and Pinwheel was quite easy heh. I got the Rite of Kindling, which is awesome since I wanted to upgrade the bonfire at Firelink once more! Promptly ran away from Tomb of the Giants. I think now FK are ready to hear of me again :D

Mileena

Banned

BE PATIENT WHILE PLAYING THIS GAME and prepare to die.

I would double-dip for a PS4/720 version of Dark Souls with this fix but I am hoping DS2 will just be amazing without it. :D

Get the DoF settings right and places like Anor Londo looks damn stunning.

Is there a PC version of Dark Souls 2 planned? Please say yes...

Praise the sun!

I take it this game has sold pretty well on PC. Good news for everyone.

I haven't heard any numbers, but I would bet it sold pretty well. When it's gone on sale on Steam it always tops the charts.

Hopefully the fact that they plan on including PC support from the beginning means it will be a better port this time around.

So I've finally cleared my backlog enough that I want to pick this up, but how well is it optimized and is it easy to fix the resolution? I'm asking because I normally play multi platform games on 360 since I only have a laptop, but this seems fairly easy to run. Is it? Or should I just not take the risk and go with the 360 version for 5 more dollars? Keep in mind I have a wireless adapter, so the controls aren't an issue.

So I've finally cleared my backlog enough that I want to pick this up, but how well is it optimized and is it easy to fix the resolution? I'm asking because I normally play multi platform games on 360 since I only have a laptop, but this seems fairly easy to run. Is it? Or should I just not take the risk and go with the 360 version for 5 more dollars? Keep in mind I have a wireless adapter, so the controls aren't an issue.

The DSFix makes it really easy to change the resolution, and afterwards it runs really well.

Seanspeed

Banned

Check out page 1 of this thread.

Due to some new players here, I'm gonna spoiler tag my post:

I've gone into the Catacombs, but much earlier than I did my first playthrough and its an entirely different place. Every enemy is dangerous, but the worst is that bottom level with the skeleton wheels and black knight. Holy crap that shit is difficult at SL4. I actually did well at one point and got the black knight down to like 10-15% health but then a couple pinwheel dudes come rolling up, fucking up my party and killing me instantly. I'm enjoying it, though. Feels like a genuine, do-able challenge. First playthrough I was pretty overpowered for the area.

Well, my framerate is locked at 30 but consistently goes down to 15ish, and I'm only in the first area. I should easily be able to run this, maybe I installed the DSFix wrong? I just extracted it to the broadest folder of the game...
lMMniIA.jpg

this is what it looks like right now

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, that looks like Dark souls without DSfix applied.

Did you put it into the correct folder?

Also, NG+ quelag down. Not especially hard but at least it wasn't the cake walk that was the first playthrough's quelag.

Yeah, that looks like Dark souls without DSfix applied.

Did you put it into the correct folder?

Also, NG+ quelag down. Not especially hard but at least it wasn't the cake walk that was the first playthrough's quelag.

I'm not sure, I just put it in the general, unspecified folder. Where should I be putting it?

Nekki

So yeah, Four Kings went down pretty easily after all the preparation I had done :D

Next time i'll be onto the Duke's Archives, let's see what awaits me there!

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Well, my framerate is locked at 30 but consistently goes down to 15ish, and I'm only in the first area. I should easily be able to run this, maybe I installed the DSFix wrong? I just extracted it to the broadest folder of the game...

this is what it looks like right now

Changing things in the DSfix notepad file can have a drastic effect on frame rate.

One of the main perfermance hits I notices was ambient occlusion. It seemed to have the worst hit on performance.

Another thing to remember is it's a very poorly optimised port so it really won't run as well as it should and I'm pretty sure the CPU is more imporant than GPU on this game.

I can PM you a copy/paste of my DSfix text which you should be able to copy into yours and see if it helps.

Seanspeed

Banned
Not sure if I want to continue this SL4 Hunter run. Its been fun so far, but I'm getting a bit bored with the lack of different effective weapons. The +10 normal weapons(Balder Side Sword and Spear) are becoming pretty ineffectual now that I'm in Anor Londo.
I could go to New Londo for the Very Large Ember, but if I upgrade those weapons this early, it'll wont leave a whole lot of incentive for growth later. Considering I basically just sword/spear'd my entire first playthrough, I could use a bit more variety.

Any ideas on how to spice things up? I'm considering leveling up a bit just to give me some more versatility in what I can use. Maybe SL10? SL20?

Amaron

Banned
Pyromancy does not have any level requirements, granted that you have an attun slot.

Is this your second play-through with a new character?

Seanspeed

Banned
Pyromancy does not have any level requirements, granted that you have an attun slot.

Is this your second play-through with a new character?
Yea, 2nd playthrough.

Funny you mentioned pyro, cuz I got the Darkmoon Seance ring today and I tried magic for the first time. The pyro I tried seemed kinda crappy, but I didn't try them on any enemies or anything. I could put a point into Attunement so I could use pyro without having to use the ring. Is pyro pretty good?

Amaron

Banned
I don't believe the Darkmoon S. Ring applies to Pyromancy, but I may be mistaken. Pyromancy scales with the level of the flame you have. So you can get a flame, upgrade it to +10, then ascend it to +5. And pyromancy is really good, especially a certain pyromancy you get from the DLC areas. So it's like comparing a natural Spear vs a +10 Spear.

Also, you got a Balder Side Sword with a SL4 Hunter on your second play-through? Lucky bastard you are.

Why not try to leave the base level runs till later? Have some good ol' fun by leveling up and realizing you screwed up your build but you don't care and will continue to be glorious.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't believe the Darkmoon S. Ring applies to Pyromancy, but I may be mistaken. Pyromancy scales with the level of the flame you have. So you can get a flame, upgrade it to +10, then ascend it to +5. And pyromancy is really good, especially a certain pyromancy you get from the DLC areas. So it's like comparing a natural Spear vs a +10 Spear.

Also, you got a Balder Side Sword with a SL4 Hunter on your second play-through? Lucky bastard you are.

Why not try to leave the base level runs till later? Have some good ol' fun by leveling up and realizing you screwed up your build but you don't care and will continue to be glorious.
Base level Hunter doesn't have any attunement slots, so I need the ring unless I want to level up.

Also didn't realize the side sword was that rare. I've gotten it both playthroughs.

And I'm moving overseas soon, so I'm gonna have to sell my Xbox and games and I dont know when I'll get the chance to play this again, so I wanted this playthrough to be a good, satisfying one. I think I'll play with pyromancy, then. Sounds good.

Thanks.

Nekki

Made it to Crystal Cave. I don't like this place.

Fuck, was so tense crossing that chasm. Made it through luckily. Now I need something cheerful to feel better, lol.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ash lake is so beautiful. I kinda cheesed the hydra with archery though.

However trying to get items from the great hollow is fucking infuriating. Fucking leap of faith jumps.

Ash lake is so beautiful. I kinda cheesed the hydra with archery though.

However trying to get items from the great hollow is fucking infuriating. Fucking leap of faith jumps.

Aesthetically speaking Ash Lake is amazing. There's not all that much to do there, though. If you don't kill the Hydra you can do a kind of cool chase scene on the way to the Dragon.

I really loved the smaller, optional areas like Ash Lake. Not a whole lot going on, but it was really atmospheric and beautiful. Kind of a nice break from the action.

Can someone explain to me why practically every NPC in the game has an evil laugh? Is it some sort of inside joke that From included? Is there some deep lore there I just don't understand yet?

Amaron

Banned
I really loved the smaller, optional areas like Ash Lake. Not a whole lot going on, but it was really atmospheric and beautiful. Kind of a nice break from the action.

Can someone explain to me why practically every NPC in the game has an evil laugh? Is it some sort of inside joke that From included? Is there some deep lore there I just don't understand yet?

Every NPC is an undead. Forever without light, forever without hope.
Slowly yet surely, they all turn hollow.

Every NPC is an undead. Forever with light, forever without hope.
Slowly yet surely, they all turn hollow.

I suppose in that situation I would also throw caution to the wind, and let the world hear my evil laughter.

Also, if there was a contest for creepiest laugh, Oswald would definitely win. That guy scares me.

KarmaCow

Ash Lake is a pretty cool area,
the only (?) Dragon alive, all alone on
an island in the middle of a giant underground lake surrounded by trees holding up the world.

I'd like if there was more to do there, especially after going through The Great Hollow but at the same time the emptiness fits.

Booshka

So what are eyes of death for?

Gravelord Covenant. You use them to infect other players worlds with Black Phantom (double health and double damage) versions of the mobs in the level. Infected players can see a Gravelord sign and attempt to invade your world and kill you, to return their world to normal.

Booshka

Alright. Thanks for the info.

I've kinda heard that the gravelord mechanic is a little bit patchy though.

Very problematic, cool idea, but poorly executed. It still works, I literally just invaded a gravelord through the gravelord sign. Unfortunantely, it is too easy for Gravelord cov members to just get invaded by Darkwraiths and Darkmoons, exhausting all of their eyes of death and making it a general pain in the ass to partake in the actual concept of the covenant.

Soulhouf

Not sure if I want to continue this SL4 Hunter run. Its been fun so far, but I'm getting a bit bored with the lack of different effective weapons. The +10 normal weapons(Balder Side Sword and Spear) are becoming pretty ineffectual now that I'm in Anor Londo.
I could go to New Londo for the Very Large Ember, but if I upgrade those weapons this early, it'll wont leave a whole lot of incentive for growth later. Considering I basically just sword/spear'd my entire first playthrough, I could use a bit more variety.

Any ideas on how to spice things up? I'm considering leveling up a bit just to give me some more versatility in what I can use. Maybe SL10? SL20?

You have way more option than SL1 Pyromancer.
If you can use a BSS, that's all what you need really. The best thing to do is go elemental path since you're low level and you don't have much stats.
I recommend to make that BSS lightning and a fire Long Bow with fire arrows and you will see a significant improvement.

Seanspeed

Banned
You have way more option than SL1 Pyromancer.
If you can use a BSS, that's all what you need really. The best thing to do is go elemental path since you're low level and you don't have much stats.
I recommend to make that BSS lightning and a fire Long Bow with fire arrows and you will see a significant improvement.
I'm tired of using the same weapons, though. I dont want to use the same stuff all the way through. I'm not in this just for the challenge. I enjoy a decent sense of progression still, but it seems like every weapon I get now requires stats that I dont have or its just not useful.

Top Bottom