• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Quick question. I have a Bow of Pharis+10, is it worth making this Fire/Ligning and then +ing up again? Also, I just made a Lightning Uchi. Did I make a mistake or should I have gone for fire?

Cheers!

Fire/Lightning will increase the base damage but will get rid of scaling.

If you have high dex, I say stick with normal reinforcement.

I would say Lightning probably has all around greater utility (there are a decent amount of enemies that are immune to fire), but there's no wrong choice.

Quick question. I have a Bow of Pharis+10, is it worth making this Fire/Ligning and then +ing up again? Also, I just made a Lightning Uchi. Did I make a mistake or should I have gone for fire?

Cheers!

If you have enough magic or faith to buff, +15 is the way to go. But otherwise lightning is the right choice for the uchi over fire.

Leave the bow alone.

Sullichin

Cheers!

As far as I know there's no reason to go an elemental path with a bow. Except maybe the lightning avelyn with lightning bolts.

oracrest

That's only even possible for most SL1 players (those who aren't super-duper hardcore) because of the tons of non-scaling damage types. If From had put level requirements or hadn't put non-scaling weapons, very few would have done the SL1 run (it's still possible as you see people do "no upgrades" runs anyway), and no one would have missed it or lamented it... because guess what, the point of the game is to explore for treasure to help you vanquish your foes, and spend the souls you earn on things that help you progress (weapon or armour upgrades, buying spells or rings, leveling up etc). Also part of the tension of the game is the fear of losing all those precious souls. SL1/no-upgrade runs are quirky challenges a very tiny minority of people do to gimp themselves and make the game more challenging to them, but it has nothing to do with how the game was conceived.

While it's impossible to estimate what the developers intended, I think the important thing about SL 1 runs is that they illustrate how well the fighting system is designed. Every battle and situation is set up in a way that a player with enough mastery of the system can defeat it unscathed. This has to do with the design of the fighting system, and also the placement of enemies within the world that work in conjunction with this.

Many games are designed with the idea that the player will get stronger, be able to take more damage, and most games have unavoidable damage from bosses at some point. I think shying away from unavoidable damage is the one thing that makes this game so damn fun for challenge runs.

Loxley

Alright GAF, I'm...I'm going to do it. I'm going to give the game an honest shot.

One last thing needs to be figured out...PS3 or PC version? I've heard that the console version suffers from some pretty bad performance hiccups at certain points in the game, and that the PC version can fuck-up your saves because of something wrong with Games for Windows live? That information could be very outdated though.

Alright GAF, I'm...I'm going to do it. I'm going to give the game an honest shot.

One last thing needs to be figured out...PS3 or PC version? I've heard that the console version suffers from some pretty bad performance hiccups at certain points in the game, and that the PC version can fuck-up your saves because of something wrong with Games for Windows live? That information could be very outdated though.

Essentially it's a trade off between performance/graphical fidelity/mod opportunities and online play that isn't plagued with cheaters.

The vanilla PC port is a bit of a dud; there are a few mandatory mods and you pretty much need a PC compatible controller. However you could certainly make the case that once it's all up and running the PC version is the definitive edition.

The only save problems I've seen on PC is it hasn't read my saves once or twice. Alt-F4'ing fixed the issue every time. Also, Durante's DSFix has a feature to backup your saves every 30 minutes or so, so you shouldn't have any save problems.

From what I hear, the PS3 has a much more lively online community, so if the online features interest you then you'll probably want to go with that one. (Stuff like co-op, invasions, etc.) There's still a fair amount of people playing the PC version online, but I do have troubles finding people to invade or people to do co-op with. Apparently that isn't as much of an issue on PS3.

I can't speak about the performance of the PS3 version, but I've had no problems with the performance of the PC version, after installing the DSFix. It looks glorious in 1080p as well, and I rarely have any framerate problems.

Hellcrow

Wooo! Beat the 4k! Power within, poise and smacking away was shamefully effective.

Anyways, Dukes Archive.
The dragon guy was supposed to kill me right? Lucky for me that I had a ring of sacrifice on!

Dresden

You either go PS3 for the community or PC for the graphics/performance. Is online play important to you? Go PS3.

Jijidasu

I just managed to kill Ornstein and Smurgh. I went to find the NPC who is either under the aqueduct at Firelink or in the Depths and he's at neither. Anyone have any experiences like this?

I'm going to flip a table if I can't get that armour.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
For NG+ I decided to do a completely different playstyle, so I opted for heavy armour with murakumo double handed. Really fun actually, but man, now I wished I went for a strength build instead of a dex build because the black knight greataxe and great sword are really fun to use. Murakumo is still super fun to use though.

I can tell that ornstein and smough is going to be a pain in the ass with the murakumo though. We'll see.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's weird. Try reloading?

If they didn't want you to be able to invade early areas, the invasion items wouldn't work there
This is not what I said. Obviously invasions can occur there, that's why you have the cracked eye orbs very early on. But then, the unlimited invasion tool is very late in the game and hidden as a secret. Why do you think that is? It's as if, I dunno, From intended people to use the Cracked eye orbs for low-level invasions to pit players of similar strength against one another... >_>

I definitely think being able to beat the game at low levels is intentional. How could it not be? it's basically a hallmark of this series at this point. It's one reason this thread is so active even though the game is a year and a half old.
Funny, I see this thread being so active because new people are trying it and asking questions such as "should I go fire or lightning" or even "how do I beat Taurus". -_-

You clearly overestimate the number of SL1-runners. They're a minority of geeks (I don't say this pejoratively btw), not the typical DkS player.

In my opinion the point of these games is not "get souls, buy more shit." The point of these games (along with the difficulty) is that you can play through them in any way you please.
I don't disagree with that. This does not follow that non-scaling damage is a good idea, though.

Again, you're not understanding my point; if SL1 are done for the challenge, and they obviously are, why would you object to removing non-scaling damage and/or having level requirements for wearing stronger gear? People are already doing no upgrades runs. Balancing the game this way would still allow the super-duper hardcore to do their challenge runs, and it would balance lower level PvP. I don't see a problem.

It'd make a specific type of challenge run, the SL1 one, much harder; but then, if that's too hard for you, do something else. Or dump your points into a useless stat (like resistance, or intelligence without using spells, etc.) to reach the hypothetical SL to wield your ascended pyro. Challenge runs would still be possible. Just harder and maybe of a slightly different nature. And on the flipside you'd get more balanced PvP. What's the issue?
Toddhunter already brought it up, but yeah, invasions were never meant to be perfectly balanced,
Perfectly, no. Not completely broken? I'd like that, please, it'd make Burg and Parish so much more fun. Someone who's just starting out in the Burg has literally ZERO chance against a fully decked invader. Like, none. I'm fairly skilled at PvP and the only way I could ever win against a mediocre but geared up invader, is by summoning help (which I might not want for the level in general), by backstabbing him off a cliff (not always possible), or chain-BSing him until he dies (assuming a flawless chain-BS sequence of around 10 backstabs or so since a +0 weapon backstab hits them for like 60 damage, not so obvious if he knows how to avoid it) or running to the boss fog if I'm lucky enough to be close to it. And obviously, those invaders will usually OHKO you. These invaders are effectively much stronger than the actual boss of the level. It's just that broken.

If invaders were just slightly stronger than hosts, I wouldn't mind at all. And I'd even welcome the challenge, it's fun to be invaded by a comparable player (in terms of gear/spells/etc even if he's a bit stronger) and it spices things up.
Demon's Souls, ironically despite its lag issues, was more balanced for that. Invaders were never so OP in comparison to players. Sure, a dragon weapon is shitty against a scimitar+3, but thanks to a lack of armour upgrades the invaders could die reasonably fast, and dragon weapons weren't as strong as the elementals in DkS.

You want a fair duel, use the Red Sign Soapstone.
lol, you don't PvP much do you ;)

These invaders are effectively much stronger than the actual boss of the level. It's just that broken.

I hear what you are saying and I think Dark Souls 2 has really got a hard job ahead of itself trying to please people like you as well as the other school like me who thinks being broken like that (so being invaded is pretty much a death sentence) is actually perfect.

All the painful things like that, or getting killed a million times or rolling off a cliff are ok by me because if you stick with it, one day you will be the bastard invading or doing one hit kills on the bosses. Making it fair would remove or lesson a lot of that fun.

My fear is they will try to please everybody and screw it up...but hey who knows.

But I'm only 2 levels away from being able to use the Greatsword of Artorias, which would let me kill the ghosts :(

Is the Abyss an offshoot of the Duke's Archives?

No, it is
the boss area of New Londo. Don't try to go there until you have a certain ring from a certain other boss.

About to go into the Crystal Caves

Upgraded my Intelligence and Faith to 18 each, realised how unwieldy the Greatsword of Artorias is even with the required stats

i'vemadeahugemistake.gif

SL96 now

This is not what I said. Obviously invasions can occur there, that's why you have the cracked eye orbs very early on. But then, the unlimited invasion tool is very late in the game and hidden as a secret. Why do you think that is? It's as if, I dunno, From intended people to use the Cracked eye orbs for low-level invasions to pit players of similar strength against one another... >_>

Just pointing out here that the Red Eye Orb is not the only unlimited invasion tool in the game. And cracked red eye orbs are not the only avenue for early-game PvP; you can reach Darkroot Garden very, very early.

Of course if what you're complaining about is balance than Forest Hunter pvp is even more of a shit show.

But I digress.

It'd make a specific type of challenge run, the SL1 one, much harder; but then, if that's too hard for you, do something else. Or dump your points into a useless stat (like resistance, or intelligence without using spells, etc.) to reach the hypothetical SL to wield your ascended pyro. Challenge runs would still be possible. Just harder and maybe of a slightly different nature. And on the flipside you'd get more balanced PvP. What's the issue?

I guess this is just an issue of priorities, but balancing low-level PvP shouldn't limit my PvE options (and this includes gear/equipment choices as well as order of progression).

And yes, of course challenge runs are about increasing challenge, but adding arbitrary SL thresholds to items that were always meant to be stat-neutral is not the way to go about doing it. Increased challenge should be imposed from the bottom up (i.e. individual players deciding how they want to play the game, from a plethora of viable options) than top-down (From Soft limiting the pool of options by adding stricter stat requirements or SL thresholds or progression gates).

And obviously, those invaders will usually OHKO you. These invaders are effectively much stronger than the actual boss of the level. It's just that broken.

And I guess I just don't see the problem here. I don't see balanced low-level PvP as such a huge priority. In fact I always thought that being invaded and massacred by a geared-out opponent was fairly fitting for the Dark Souls universe/lore.

Obviously we're not convincing each other of anything, so I guess agree to disagree?

I hear what you are saying and I think Dark Souls 2 has really got a hard job ahead of itself trying to please people like you as well as the other school like me who thinks being broken like that (so being invaded is pretty much a death sentence) is actually perfect.

All the painful things like that, or getting killed a million times or rolling off a cliff are ok by me because if you stick with it, one day you will be the bastard invading or doing one hit kills on the bosses. Making it fair would remove or lesson a lot of that fun.

My fear is they will try to please everybody and screw it up...but hey who knows.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, including the worries about Dark Souls II.

Soulhouf

On my first runthrough

Crystal golems you have to fight on the way there as they follow you all the way in there
Invisible floors
Unavoidable golden crystal golem
No bonfire

First time: you're level 1 ignorant player who struggle to cross that area.
After many attempts: you're level 99 experienced bad ass player cross the area in 30 seconds.

trial and error

First time: you're level 1 ignorant player who struggle to cross that area.
After many attempts: you're level 99 experienced bad ass player cross the area in 30 seconds.

trial and error

Invisible paths are straight lines and you can see glimmering flakes on them. Yes I saw them on my first playthrough.

Had SO many other places for losing my shit.

I killed Havel and killed my first invader tonight. Some punk named Vanquish. I waited for him at the stone bridge leading to Sif then bottlenecked him so he couldn't dodge. Not bad for one nights work.

Sif is a fucker though.

I guess this is just an issue of priorities, but balancing low-level PvP shouldn't limit my PvE options (and this includes gear/equipment choices as well as order of progression).

I don't really agree with Morrigan about level requirements being necessary (I'd rather they leave that as it is and just fix the matchmaking to account for gear quality or win/loss record), but how does that suggestion limit PvE options in any way? Other than some numbers being different with zero gameplay impact.

On my first runthrough

Crystal golems you have to fight on the way there as they follow you all the way in there
Invisible floors
Unavoidable golden crystal golem
No bonfire

I enjoyed Crystal Cave quite a bit actually. The invisible floors were great at creating that tension where it feels like every step could lead to death, but they really weren't that dangerous with a bit of caution. The gold golem was nasty, but he's a perma-killable enemy. And the area looks fantastic.

The only issues I had with it were the butterflies (is it possible to kill those? I just gave up and ignored them) and that one non-essential invisible path that curves, which was a pain to navigate.

I don't really agree with Morrigan about level requirements being necessary (I'd rather they leave that as it is and just fix the matchmaking to account for gear quality or win/loss record), but how does that suggestion limit PvE options in any way? Other than some numbers being different with zero gameplay impact.

If From Soft were to slap on a bunch of stat or SL requirements on stuff like the pyro glove or other things normally usable at SL1, it would limit your options for low-level PvE/challenge runs/whatever. While admittedly a minority of players would be pissed about that sort of thing, I still think it's a bad idea.

The only issues I had with it were the butterflies (is it possible to kill those? I just gave up and ignored them) and that one non-essential invisible path that curves, which was a pain to navigate.
You can kill them, but they only aggro if you attack them (or go too close? I'm not sure) - Only ever attacked them when I was trying to grind drops from them.

Does teh speed of attacks with greatswords/axes depend on stats, or will they always be slow if I have the required stats and they're unwieldy

Once you meet the parameter requirements, they'll always be that speed.

Unfortunately you can't pump strength and unleash SUPER FAST ULTRA GREATSWORD

Edit: for a while I thought it would be cool if they put in a third tearstone ring that increased your attack speed/casting speed while your HP was dangerously low, but that would probably be way too broken.

Once you meet the parameter requirements, they'll always be that speed.

Unfortunately you can't pump strength and unleash SUPER FAST ULTRA GREATSWORD

So you guys really weren't kidding about the Greatsword of Artorias being rubbish then :(

Its only reasonably quick attack isthe one handed light attack and lunging heavy attack. The two handed standing heavy attack literally takes about 5 seconds to connect, let alone recover from.

Wonder if you can become strong enough to hold Smough's Hammer in one hand, and a Demon machete in the other

So you guys really weren't kidding about the Greatsword of Artorias being rubbish then :(

Its only reasonably quick attack isthe one handed light attack and lunging heavy attack. The two handed standing heavy attack literally takes about 5 seconds to connect, let alone recover from.

Wonder if you can become strong enough to hold Smough's Hammer in one hand, and a Demon machete in the other

Well with 58 strength (the requirement for one-handing Smough's Hammer) you'd already have more than enough strength to one-hand the Demon Machete.

Raide

Thinking of making a duel-wielding class. Uchi and Iaito. Try and go all ninja and stuff. :D Need woodgrain ring I think too.

Sullichin

That's weird. Try reloading?

Funny, I see this thread being so active because new people are trying it and asking questions such as "should I go fire or lightning" or even "how do I beat Taurus". -_-

You clearly overestimate the number of SL1-runners. They're a minority of geeks (I don't say this pejoratively btw), not the typical DkS player.

I don't disagree with that. This does not follow that non-scaling damage is a good idea, though.

Again, you're not understanding my point; if SL1 are done for the challenge, and they obviously are, why would you object to removing non-scaling damage and/or having level requirements for wearing stronger gear? People are already doing no upgrades runs. Balancing the game this way would still allow the super-duper hardcore to do their challenge runs, and it would balance lower level PvP. I don't see a problem.

Perfectly, no. Not completely broken? I'd like that, please, it'd make Burg and Parish so much more fun. Someone who's just starting out in the Burg has literally ZERO chance against a fully decked invader. Like, none. I'm fairly skilled at PvP and the only way I could ever win against a mediocre but geared up invader, is by summoning help (which I might not want for the level in general), by backstabbing him off a cliff (not always possible), or chain-BSing him until he dies (assuming a flawless chain-BS sequence of around 10 backstabs or so since a +0 weapon backstab hits them for like 60 damage, not so obvious if he knows how to avoid it) or running to the boss fog if I'm lucky enough to be close to it. And obviously, those invaders will usually OHKO you. These invaders are effectively much stronger than the actual boss of the level. It's just that broken.

If invaders were just slightly stronger than hosts, I wouldn't mind at all. And I'd even welcome the challenge, it's fun to be invaded by a comparable player (in terms of gear/spells/etc even if he's a bit stronger) and it spices things up.
Demon's Souls, ironically despite its lag issues, was more balanced for that. Invaders were never so OP in comparison to players. Sure, a dragon weapon is shitty against a scimitar+3, but thanks to a lack of armour upgrades the invaders could die reasonably fast, and dragon weapons weren't as strong as the elementals in DkS.

lol, you don't PvP much do you ;)
I think we're just going in circles here because I still think it's fine how it is.
Even completely disregarding SL1 runs, I don't want my options for progression limited just because new players tend to take the more obvious paths. I often grab the gravelord sword right when starting the game for example, and it only takes a few levels to be able to 2H it. I don't see raising the requirements for this weapon doing anything except making that weapon less useful. Elemental paths have more uses than low SL runs, too. Higher requirements on elemental paths wouldn't make sense because they're outclassed by their +15 counterparts when you have the stat investment. They're the paths you choose when you don't have the stat investment. It would be nice if they prioritized invasions based on the highest AR weapon available to the host or something, though.

And a dragon weapon vs starting equipment in 1-2 is virtually the same thing. Not to mention Demon's Souls has the scraping spear which serves no other purpose other than to completely troll other players. Or even someone with a kris blade and ring of magical sharpness can kill a new player in a single fire toss. And while armor is perhaps too strong in Dark Souls, it's too useless in Demon's. I don't really care if a new player has no chance against some jerk who decided to come to the party with maxed out stuff. The new player will die and move on. Similarly, these twinks will die when they mistakenly invade a SL120 character and don't stand a chance, and they will move on. I died a million times my first run through the game, it doesn't really matter. The potential for 'appropriate' PVP in early areas is still there, if you want to have some fair fun in the parish you can do that by invading with a +5 weapon and I'm sure the host would appreciate that.

Not sure whether to use the Black Knight Halberd. It does higher damage, but my regular Halberd is +10, and has a better moveset for speed and crowd control

Sullichin

Not sure whether to use the Black Knight Halberd. It does higher damage, but my regular Halberd is +10, and has a better moveset for speed and crowd control

BKH is excellent, but I prefer the move set of the regular Halberd as well. If you take it to +15 it will do great damage too.

sixghost

BKH is excellent, but I prefer the move set of the regular Halberd as well. If you take it to +15 it will do great damage too.

Thanks for posting that zweihander build a week or so ago. It's working pretty well so far despite not really knowing what I'm doing in PvP. I'm not sure what I should do with the extra points though. I'm at SL100 right now, 40 vit, 42 end, 27 str, and 34 dex. Would I be better off putting the last 20 in dex, vit and end, or should I put it in INT to get Crystal Magic Weapon or FAI for sunlight blade?

The other thing I was thinking was maybe increase END to 52 so I could equip a grass crest shield while still keeping my fast roll.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=251714936871969593

Sullichin

Thanks for posting that zweihander build a week or so ago. It's working pretty well so far despite not really knowing what I'm doing in PvP. I'm not sure what I should do with the extra points though. I'm at SL100 right now, 40 vit, 42 end, 27 str, and 34 dex. Would I be better off putting the last 20 in dex, vit and end, or should I put it in INT to get Crystal Magic Weapon or FAI for sunlight blade?

The other thing I was thinking was maybe increase END to 52 so I could equip a grass crest shield while still keeping my fast roll.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=251714936871969593
I don't usually take my END over 40 but it does have some benefit, but I don't think the grass crest is worth it because you can just buy a ton of green blossoms. You need 30 FAI/ 25INT to use sunlight blade/CMW. They're great buffs but many players will just turtle or back away until they run out. Great magic weapon only requires 15INT. Equipping a catalyst (Ooacile Catalyst is best at 15INT) will push you over your fast roll limit at 42END though. If you take STR to 28 you can 1 hand the Murakumo if you get tired of the Zwei. If you take vit to 50 you'll have a ridiculous amount of HP with that mother mask and FAP ring.

I can only take my weapons to +10 so far. What do I do to go further, and can I still modify them with the boss souls if they're over +10?
You get the ember you need to do that in New Londo Ruins. You need 9 titanite chunks and 1 slab to bring it all the way to +15. I think you can still make boss weapons once they're over 10

Nekki

Damn I accidentally hit the Undead Parish blacksmith lol. Now I need 17k souls to have my sins forgiven? Damn, time to grind!

Does anyone have a character around SL110 near Anor Londo that could help me out? I got there and was messing around with PVP for awhile in my first NG+, and ended up using up all of my humanity from bad PVP matches. (I'm pretty bad at PVP.) Totally forgetting I probably want to summon someone (or at least Solaire) for O&S. I have a really, really hard time beating them just by myself, and it seems even harder on NG+ then I thought.

I've dropped my summon sign down hoping I can get summoned and help someone else beat them and get some Humanity, but no such luck so far. I guess my alternatives are trucking all the way back to the depths to farm some humanity (which will probably take an hour or two), or waiting to see if I can get summoned.

If there's anybody around that area and level that could summon me, that would be awesome. (Shot in the dark, I know.)

Sullichin

Does anyone have a character around SL110 near Anor Londo that could help me out? I got there and was messing around with PVP for awhile in my first NG+, and ended up using up all of my humanity from bad PVP matches. (I'm pretty bad at PVP.) Totally forgetting I probably want to summon someone (or at least Solaire) for O&S. I have a really, really hard time beating them just by myself, and it seems even harder on NG+ then I thought.

I've dropped my summon sign down hoping I can get summoned and help someone else beat them and get some Humanity, but no such luck so far. I guess my alternatives are trucking all the way back to the depths to farm some humanity (which will probably take an hour or two), or waiting to see if I can get summoned.

If there's anybody around that area and level that could summon me, that would be awesome. (Shot in the dark, I know.)
If you're on PC, sure. My GFWL is my username, send a message. Or are we already friends? I have someone with a kinda-similar name on my list

Boogdud

Damn you straight to hell tomb of giants. In my panic trying to get to an item in the menu I accidently ate a fire keeper soul.

I hate this place so bad.

Going through without cast light sucks.

sixghost

Damn you straight to hell tomb of giants. In my panic trying to get to an item in the menu I accidently ate a fire keeper soul.

I did that for the first time a week ago; it was a nightmare, and I know that place pretty damn well.

Seanspeed

Banned
I can only take my weapons to +10 so far. What do I do to go further, and can I still modify them with the boss souls if they're over +10?

Dude, go beat god damn New Londo Ruins.

I'm not saying that for no reason. ;)

EDIT:

On my SL4 run, I've just got the Blighttown key, but I think I'm going to attempt some other areas first. I already cleared Undead Asylum. I'm in the middle of Darkroot Basin and am going to try my hand at the Catacombs afterwards. I built a Divine weapon that'll hopefully get me through most of it.

One thing - I'm almost NOT enjoying becoming good at this game. Once you have a tough enemy figured out, its a matter of just not making any mistakes or getting greedy. Otherwise, its pretty easy. It takes a lot of the helpless feeling away. Its fun in its own way, but not quite as rewarding. Like Black Knights. I've beat every one I've come across so far and I dont think a single one has hit me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Reason to save the Tomb of Giant for last and just grab that one fancy hat from Lost Izalith.

Top Bottom