• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Amaron

Banned
I'm tired of using the same weapons, though. I dont want to use the same stuff all the way through. I'm not in this just for the challenge. I enjoy a decent sense of progression still, but it seems like every weapon I get now requires stats that I dont have or its just not useful.

It's because you're at the point in the game where you should be level 30+ at least. Playing at base level without leveling up is a self-imposed challenge, the developers did not provide weapons for it.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's because you're at the point in the game where you should be level 30+ at least. Playing at base level without leveling up is a self-imposed challenge, the developers did not provide weapons for it.

Yea, I'm not complaining about the game or anything. Just saying this base level run isn't sustaining my interest enough to keep going with it as it is.

Soulhouf

I'm tired of using the same weapons, though. I dont want to use the same stuff all the way through. I'm not in this just for the challenge. I enjoy a decent sense of progression still, but it seems like every weapon I get now requires stats that I dont have or its just not useful.

You still have many otions:
- Halberds
- Ushigatana
- Claymore
- Spears
- Clubs
- Flachion
- Straight Swords

among others. The Claymore and Gargoyle Halberd in particular are OP if you go elemental with base level character.

You'll need to use 2H for most of them but you won't be using a shield a lot when you play base level anyway.

Seanspeed

Banned
You still have many otions:
- Halberds
- Ushigatana
- Claymore
- Spears
- Clubs
- Flachion
- Straight Swords

among others. The Claymore and Gargoyle Halberd in particular are OP if you go elemental with base level character.

You'll need to use 2H for most of them but you won't be using a shield a lot when you play base level anyway.
I'm not good enough to play this game without a shield. I switch to 2-hand a fair bit for some of the bigger, slower enemies, but I still need the ability to switch to 1-handed with a shield if I'm not confident of being able to dodge an enemy's attacks. It'd be different if I had some more life/defense/endurance but I mostly cant afford to get hit.

Nekki

Ash Lake is a pretty cool area,
the only (?) Dragon alive, all alone on
an island in the middle of a giant underground lake surrounded by trees holding up the world.

I'd like if there was more to do there, especially after going through The Great Hollow but at the same time the emptiness fits.

What's this Ash Lake place? Hmm I thought all I had left was Demon Ruins and Tomb of the Giants! Once I beat Crystal Cave of course..

Amaron

Banned
What's this Ash Lake place? Hmm I thought all I had left was Demon Ruins and Tomb of the Giants! Once I beat Crystal Cave of course..

An optional area that's after another optional area. If you want a hint, it's the lowest point in Lordran. (The base of the world). You catch a glimpse of it in the Tomb of the Giants.

Seanspeed

Banned
You can see both Demon Ruins and Ash Lake from Tomb of the Giants.
Really? I dont remember seeing Ash Lake in TotG. I'll have to keep an eye on it when I get down there soon.

If people haven't seen it, the 3D Map viewer for Dark Souls is worth a play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyTB5vhKGSI
Funny, I just discovered this today on my own. Cool stuff. Wish TotG was a bit more detailed instead of just being mostly blacked out, though. That was one of the more interesting places in terms of its interconnectivity in the world.

Nekki

Okay. I was about to quit the game for good, but I got to beat Seath. I had as much curse resistance (166 with Cursebite Ring) and as much mdef as I could (Ring Crystal Shield and Ring) and he kept killing me over and over. Fighting him was not the problem, traversing ALL the way back to the boss room was it. It was tedious. I could kill everything no problem, but damn it if it wasn't a long walk! :/

Had to check on a strategy to beat him, which frankly wasn't too different from what I was trying to do, just failed into doing so.

Hellcrow

FFS, Lost Izalith.
Sigmund AND Solaire died in one life. Solaire was insane, and Sigmund went all kamikaze on headmouths. I jumped down to try and save him, but it was to late. Also, I got cornered and died. =(. Also, Kirk AND a pyromancy guy at the same time. Crowded area to be placed so far down towards hell!

ArynCrinn

Banned

Use the Great Scythe, two-handed, it's a lot of fun to use. As for a shield, just use it to make enemies repel, then switch to two-handed and whoop ass.

Ash Lake is a pretty cool area,
the only (?) Dragon alive, all alone on
an island in the middle of a giant underground lake surrounded by trees holding up the world.

I'd like if there was more to do there, especially after going through The Great Hollow but at the same time the emptiness fits.

I think Ash lake is somewhat directly related to the intro cinematic where you see gwyn going all zeus like with the lightning bolts to the dragons! That's why I think
the last Dragon alive is there
. Also you can see the giant trees in the background! Not sure if these are the great stone archtrees or "normal" giant trees which are said to be offspring.

The best part of ash lake is how it sets the mood for the crushing finale of siegbro's story arc! MANY FEELS!

Seance

Banned
I know you didn't say that, that isn't what I was arguing against either. ;)

I wasn't intending to respond for Mileena, by the way, just offering my own thoughts on the matter.

Most of the boss souls weapons are terrible, though. Hint: only Queelag's soul and Priscilla's soul are worth anything (and that's only for Dex builds). And, to a certain extent (for Intelligence-heavy builds), Manus's soul for a powerful spell, and the Moonlight Butterfly's soul, that spear isn't too horrible when fully upgraded, but even then the Moonlight Greatsword is a better weapon for int-builds. I guess Gwyndolin's soul is ok if you really, really want a bow for your faith build... then again a Divine +5/Occult+5 composite bow is probably better anyway, but you'd need an extra white slab.

Unlike in Demon's Souls, where most boss souls are very useful, most of the boss souls in Dark Souls can be safely consumed for their souls (seriously, they're that bad, that was a little disappointing).

But cheevo's.

Nekki

And there are those weird undead dragon legs walking around. Does anyone know what's up with those things?

I have no idea but they are humongous. And luckily, they don't respawn, I've killed a few! Now i'm in the proper ruins of Izalith!!

Changed my +15 Zwei for a +5 Black Knight Greatsword. I like it.

Clearly not their bodies.

*rimshot*

I have no idea but they are humongous. And luckily, they don't respawn, I've killed a few! Now i'm in the proper ruins of Izalith!!

Changed my +15 Zwei for a +5 Black Knight Greatsword. I like it.

Had no idea they didn't respond (admittedly I've never bothered trying to kill them).

I wonder if the bottom half of the undead dragon in the Valley of the Drakes is down in Lost Izalith?

Nekki

Charcoal Resin, Pine Resin, Poison Resin, Magic Weapon, Great Magic Weapon, Crystal Magic Weapon, Darkmoon Blade, Sunlight Blade, and Hidden Weapon.

The more you know. I didn't know there were so many options.

I'm guessing I should be doing the DLC sometime soon, after all (I think) I only have Lost Izalith and Tomb of the Giants left.

zkylon

zkylewd
The more you know. I didn't know there were so many options.

I'm guessing I should be doing the DLC sometime soon, after all (I think) I only have Lost Izalith and Tomb of the Giants left.
I think that all but the resins are locked to you if you're not a mage.

Seanspeed

Banned
I leveled up a bit. I'm SL9 Hunter, with upgraded strength to 14 and attunement to 2 slots. I'm pretty happy with this, I think. I've got some magic and some new weapons to play with.

Nekki

Well Bed of Chaos wasn't THAT hard. A weird fight for sure. I'm guessing I'll go for the DLC content before tackling on Tomb of the Giants!

Just wanted to post this here... as I do like sharing things!

There is still a severe lack of DLC area art (lots of Artorias art though).

Haha, that is amazing.

Does anybody else get really bad framerate drops when looking at fog gates? (PC version.) It's odd, the fog gate doesn't even have to be in view -- it can be completely obstructed by something else, but if I look in it's direction, my frame rate drops sharply.

Top Bottom