• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

oracrest

Just wanted to post this here... as I do like sharing things!

There is still a severe lack of DLC area art (lots of Artorias art though).

Have you seen this?
J2tqDQk.jpg

Nekki

Well Nito was.. easy I guess? Beat him on my first try!!

But this... this!!

KQNgMvn.jpg

Nightmare fuel right there! WHAT THE F--!?

Never going back there again (on this playthrough at least lol)

So I'm doing the DLC now, how long is it??

It's funny that as soon as you start it you get attacked, it's like this game takes every small chance it has to just kill you.

Nekki

Damn Artorias is a quick bastard. After a couple tries I tried Herb Crest Shield + Iron Flesh + 2-hand Black Knight Greatsword. Went down easy :D

Oolacile township is creepy. On second thought, I don't think theres one place in this game that isn't

But this... this!!

KQNgMvn.jpg

If you think those guys are bad (and they are), pray you never see the Black Phantom versions.

Terrifying.

RiverBed

Banned
I need help:
how do I cast fire (magician)? Or do I have to unlock that feature later on?
Also, I heard that any class can learn magic. If so, can I choose a melee based class and teach it to cast fire? I need something to face off archery enemies that I hate so very much. >_<

Nekki

If you think those guys are bad (and they are), pray you never see the Black Phantom versions.

Terrifying.

I wouldn't ever want to meet those for sure haha.

And just like that, Manus is dead, with a similar strategy than the one I used against Artorias.

I think up next is using the Lord souls I have on the Lordvessel

Seanspeed

Banned
I need help:
how do I cast fire (magician)? Or do I have to unlock that feature later on?
Also, I heard that any class can learn magic. If so, can I choose a melee based class and teach it to cast fire? I need something to face off archery enemies that I hate so very much. >_<
Fire(pyro) is different from other magics in that you dont need any faith/int requirements to cast spells. All you need is at least one attunement slot, the spell(s) you want to use and the pyromancy glove, so its something any character/class can use unless you're doing a base-level run with certain classes that dont have an attunement slot.

You buy/find a spell, go to a bonfire and 'attune magic' to pick which spell(s) you want to have available and then equip the pyro glove and then use R1 like a regular attack to cast.

Also, you dont increase your pryo spell damage by upping your stats, but instead by upgrading your pyro glove.

I haven't come across any really long range fire spells, but then again, I've just started messing around with it myself.

Soulhouf

But this... this!!

KQNgMvn.jpg

It's funny that as soon as you start it you get attacked, it's like this game takes every small chance it has to just kill you.

If you think these monsters were bad, they were way more dangerous in a previous version where the aggro range was longer.
Not to mention the black phantom version. I met them once and I don't want to see them again lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Negative, I've been Gravelorded in Demon Ruins (right before Firesage Demon, with black phantom Capras) in NG.

I want to be infected by Gravelord in Painted World some time. Black phantom wheelies, lol xD

Arjen

Are your changed higher if you're a gravelord yourself maybe? Never been a gravelord myself, going to give it a try maybe

Sullichin

Definitely a rarity, I've been gravelorded tons of times but always in NG+ or above. Someone was even trying to gravelord me over and over again yesterday when I was hosting a fight club in the butterfly forest, and I saw his sign but never the BPs because I was in NG.

Anyway, PSN gave me $10 so of course instead of buying a fun new PSN game I picked up Artorias of the Abyss for PS3.

Sullichin

Great pick. You won't regret it.

Wish I had that $10... :(

I've been through the dlc dozens of times on pc so it probably could have been spent better elsewhere but oh well.

Playing some PS3 version today, decided to invade in blighttown. Forgot it runs at like 10fps. Way worse than I remembered. It's frustrating because unlike PC I can get an invasion nearly instantly every time I use the red eyed orb, but also unlike PC blighttown is a slideshow.

Seanspeed

Banned
If you think these monsters were bad, they were way more dangerous in a previous version where the aggro range was longer.
Oh jesus!

The only reason they were even slightly manageable was that they didn't attack until you were quite close.

I haven't gone through the DLC yet but I'd say those enemies are the most dangerous in the whole game. I'd rather fight a pair of black knights.

Hellcrow

Oh jesus!

The only reason they were even slightly manageable was that they didn't attack until you were quite close.

I haven't gone through the DLC yet but I'd say those enemies are the most dangerous in the whole game. I'd rather fight a pair of black knights.

I firebomb them and whack them twice to kill them. However, that can really backfire if they decide to go insane on me. They kill so fucking fast, and are very unpredictable.

Soulhouf

Definitely a rarity, I've been gravelorded tons of times but always in NG+ or above. Someone was even trying to gravelord me over and over again yesterday when I was hosting a fight club in the butterfly forest, and I saw his sign but never the BPs because I was in NG.

Same here.

zkylon

zkylewd

But this... this!!

KQNgMvn.jpg

Haha, yeah, Nito's kind of a pushover, but the dungeon itself is amazing, those skeleton dogs are scary as fuck.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'm at O&S on my Deprived run, and it's almost as bad as the no upgrade run. Maybe worse because I can't use rings or resins. My best weapon is a Occult Club +4 and even that does mediocre damage...

Finished

85 hours played, Soul Level 108

Halberd+15
Gold Tracer (to keep the weight down)

Crest Shield+5
Black Bow of Pharis+15

Helm of Artorias+2
Chester's Long Coat+5
Gold-Hemmed Black Gloves
Lord's Blade Waistcloth+5

Havel's Ring
Covetous Silver Serpent Ring

Skab

So, I've been playing through for the first time and have hit my first roadblock. I keep dying to Quelaag. Any tips or tricks I should know of? I'm beginning to worry that I screwed up my stats or something.

Seance

Banned
So, I've been playing through for the first time and have hit my first roadblock. I keep dying to Quelaag. Any tips or tricks I should know of? I'm beginning to worry that I screwed up my stats or something.

Bait out her lava spit move and get a few free hits in on her legs/back. Her sword swings are easily rolled or you can circle round them. Blocking isn't ideal as they do plenty of fire damage.
It's also possible to chain stagger her by firing arrows into her torso.

Mileena

Banned

Keep your distance, don't get cornered, only block if you must. She's really easy.

If you are in human form there is a npc summon outside the door. This does a good job of distracting her.

Watch out for when she hugs the spider. That's a signal to get the hell out of there.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Started a STR focused character. Tried to go for the black knight weapons early on but no luck. :( Even though I pumped up my humanity like crazy.

What other STR weapon can I go for early on? I'm using a +2 zweihander at the moment.

Mr.Ock

Started a STR focused character. Tried to go for the black knight weapons early on but no luck. :( Even though I pumped up my humanity like crazy.

What other STR weapon can I go for early on? I'm using a +2 zweihander at the moment.

Personally I'm using the Man-Serpent Greatsword for my new STR based character. It's got a nice moveset and at +15 it scales with an A in STR, but it's a rare drop from the Man-Serpents in Sen's

You can get a demon great machete pretty early on. The weapon requires a lot of strength to use but it is pure destruction.

Where to find:
Buy one from Shiva or from random drops from lesser Capra Demons after Ceaseless Discharge (though this would be hard with a +2 zwei)

OFFIS

2handed Zweihander R2(heavy)-hit destroys everything in pve, get it up to +15 and buff with resins/magic/miracles when you want even moar damage, having high poise helps a lot(
wolf
ring). Or try to get black weapons to drop from black knights or ask sun bros.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nice. See you appreciated the Halberd for the beast it is!

Some people will say she's easy, but I think it was one of the more difficult battles.

Learn to dodge rather than block. She does sword swipes that can be rolled from fairly easily. She does two swipes from the sides, then one straight ahead. Roll towards the direction the side swipes are coming from(its the same directions each time) and then roll to either side for the straight ahead attack. That should save you a good amount of unblockable fire damage and stamina alone.

Dont spend time behind her, cuz you wont be able to see her choreographed area attacks beginning, which deal lots of unblockable damage. You want to get far away when she does these.

Be very aware of where the lava puddles are. If you're locking on, dont be afraid to unlock to turn around and run to some clear area where you're not surrounded by the lava.

If all else fails, you can always summon help. To do this, you need to be human by the nearby bonfire and fight an invading phantom. After this, you'll be able to summon that phantom's help for the boss. Good luck!

Anyways, on my playthrough(my SL9 playthrough now), I'm having a stupidy difficult time in Anor Londo with the
painted guardian section where you're walking on beams. I keep getting knocked off, killed or fall on my own repeatedly. Dont know why its giving me so much trouble this time. Ugh.

Nekki

And I'm done!!!

82 hours

+14 Greataxe

Actually my progression through the game was +2 Raw Battle Axe -> +10 Zweihander -> +5 Silver Knight Straight Sword -> +15 Zweihander -> +5 Black Knight Greatsword -> +14 Greataxe

-As for Armor I had Black Iron Set +5

-Ring of Steel Protection
-Flame Stoneplate Ring

Just for fun I ventured into NG+ a bit. And Asylum Demon was easy as heck, and Taurus died in two hits. I'm sure this is no indication of what's to come anyway haha but it was fun :)

One of the most rewarding games I've EVER played!

Skab

Got her! Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Realizing I needed to watch the woman more than the spider made all the difference in the world.

sixghost

Got her! Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Realizing I needed to watch the woman more than the spider made all the difference in the world.

It's a good habit to get into. Almost every enemy has tells like this, maybe not as blatant, but they are there.

zkylon

zkylewd
And I'm done!!!

82 hours

+14 Greataxe

Actually my progression through the game was +2 Raw Battle Axe -> +10 Zweihander -> +5 Silver Knight Straight Sword -> +15 Zweihander -> +5 Black Knight Greatsword -> +14 Greataxe

-As for Armor I had Black Iron Set +5

-Ring of Steel Protection
-Flame Stoneplate Ring

Just for fun I ventured into NG+ a bit. And Asylum Demon was easy as heck, and Taurus died in two hits. I'm sure this is no indication of what's to come anyway haha but it was fun :)

One of the most rewarding games I've EVER played!
Early on it's ridiculously easy, then you get to the 4K and start wishing Miyazaki dies a slow death.

chunk3rvd

Anyone have a character around SL50 (PC) that could help me with Seath? Could do wih a distraction to help me get that tail! Should be on for the next 2 hours

Top Bottom