• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Seanspeed

Banned
I think I'm understanding the hate for the Anor Londo archers. My first playthrough I just ran up and whooped their butts first time. Now I'm really struggling. It wouldn't be so bad, but just getting to them isn't easy in the first place.
The two giant knights I've discovered I can run past(carefully), but then I've got to beat 5 of those lightning spear demons, who are pretty dangerous just on their own. Then with the archers, I keep getting knocked off when I try and rush them or I get fucked up by their arrows if I try and do anything else. I've seen people suggest poison arrows and I've tried that, but how do hit them without getting hit yourself? If it was just one shot, I could do it, but you need two shots to poison them in fairly close succession and I cant for the life of me pull it off.
Any pointers?

Came to a screeching halt on 4K NG+:

> be in full havel (with +5 shield) and +5 dragon hammer (str char)
> drop down thinking it would be walk in the park (even ornstein and smough dropped fast)
> get two slapped to death
> mfw i can't beat these assholes

> get frustrated
> make dex char
> mfw shoot people in the face from across lordran!

I think I'm understanding the hate for the Anor Londo archers. My first playthrough I just ran up and whooped their butts first time. Now I'm really struggling. It wouldn't be so bad, but just getting to them isn't easy in the first place.
The two giant knights I've discovered I can run past(carefully), but then I've got to beat 5 of those lightning spear demons, who are pretty dangerous just on their own. Then with the archers, I keep getting knocked off when I try and rush them or I get fucked up by their arrows if I try and do anything else. I've seen people suggest poison arrows and I've tried that, but how do hit them without getting hit yourself? If it was just one shot, I could do it, but you need two shots to poison them in fairly close succession and I cant for the life of me pull it off.
Any pointers?

You can do it right after the couple lightning harpies,
there will be a pillar (square base). You can position carefully so that the arrow from the dude hits the pillar, but you can shoot yours.
It works cause I did it yesterday!

The place I'm talking about is:
pass the giant dudes, down the stairs (kill 3 harpies), down a ramp to another couple of harpies and up a small ramp where both archers are shooting at you.

If poisoning them, run up the first buttress and aim from there, ring of fog helps a lot, you're trying to get headshots to stagger them. You only need to take out the one on the right.

If melee - which is my preferred method these days, make sure you have fast roll for the quickest running speed. Once you get to the second buttress, you can stand a moment in front of the last pillar which blocks the left archer completely - this allows you to time your run up just after the one on the right fires an arrows, roll through his next arrow, and you're right in front of him - then it's either push him off - wotg/force, shield bash or just block or a ripost/parry. Then if you're feeling brave take out the one on the left for the soul item he's guarding.

The spear demons can all be picked off one by one - the one looking directly at your can be shot off the ledge with an arrow, then on the right get his attention with an arrow/dagger to fight solo at the top of the steps, take out the third one on the left. From where the third one was, you can aggro the two at the bottom of the buttress with arrows and they will run to the foot of the buttress, and one will usually push the other off the ledge, leaving you only one to fight. Poison arrows will keep them aggro'd.

zkylon

zkylewd
Any pointers?
I had the exact same experience.

I just tried a bunch of times until I got it, really :/

Dresden

Any pointers?

Just run past the giants and the lightning demons. Keep running, and roll through the stabs they do. It'll cut down on time quite a bit.

As for the archers, go for the one on the right. If you run at a normal speed the arrows will never hit you, so just jog up there. When you're up there, make sure your character's position is aligned with that of the ledge, so that if you get knocked back, you won't be forced off the ledge. It's all about rolling through that one arrow, then getting up in it's face. Just kill it by two-handing a weapon and blowing it up, or shield up and try to kick or parry it away.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok cool, I'll give some of these approaches a try. Wasn't aware I could roll through the arrows, either.

I'll report back screaming or satisfied, I'm sure. :)

Ok cool, I'll give some of these approaches a try. Wasn't aware I could roll through the arrows, either.

Also when you run up the last ramp, pause (for a moment) just near the top. They should shoot but you have already moved. This gives you enough time to get to the archer on the right. He'll probably try to shoot again. Roll towards to dodge it and swing away.

Or just cheese it and pick off the knight on the right side with a poison arrow...wait...and proceed. You can shoot the one on the far right from the little building/tower that's on the ledge directly across from them. It may take a little lining up to get the shot right, but it works - I've done it a hundred times and works like a charm.

sixghost

The easiest way I've found to get past the archer is to run all the way up to the wall, get close enough to the right archer to make him take out his sword, then back up immediately once he does. He usually will fall off the ledge. If he doesn't, just run away and try again. Using the giant pillars to block the other archers line of sight is key when doing this.

Rolling gives you a certain amount of invincibility frames. You can dodge virtually anything if you time it correctly.

Nekki

Started a new (normal) game with a Thief now. Quite liking it. Since my first char was a tank, I decided to use something more fragile so that I learn how to dodge/parry more efficiently.

Capra Demon is still a bitch to fight, too small room and two dogs, gah.

Got Asylum, Taurus, Capra, Gaping Dragon and Moonlight down, going down to Blighttown now hehe.

Started a new (normal) game with a Thief now. Quite liking it. Since my first char was a tank, I decided to use something more fragile so that I learn how to dodge/parry more efficiently.

Capra Demon is still a bitch to fight, too small room and two dogs, gah.

Got Asylum, Taurus, Capra, Gaping Dragon and Moonlight down, going down to Blighttown now hehe.
Sounds like you caught the Souls bug :)

I'm a bit burned out myself, need some time off - so of course I went straight back to Demon's Souls again lol. I miss the PvP though, DkS is still so active, I think it's definately one of the main reasons I've played it almost non-stop for over a year. Need some inspiration for a new build, something off the wall but still viable for PvP.

Hellcrow

Decided to try killing Gwyn before taking on the DLC area. After getting my ass handed to me several times, I looked him up online. Looks like you go straight to NG+ after killing him, so I will wait!

Nekki

Decided to try killing Gwyn before taking on the DLC area. After getting my ass handed to me several times, I looked him up online. Looks like you go straight to NG+ after killing him, so I will wait!

I couldn't beat Gwyn forming up a strategy. I used Iron Flesh, two handed my weapon, and of course the Herb Crest Shield. Went down pretty easily. Just remember to heal up when necessary, even with Iron Flesh his grab hurts.

The above IS a strategy though.. but I somehow feel like I cheated haha.

Skab

Sen's Fortress down. Now to go have horrible things done to me in Anor Londo. It's also time to figure out how/where to get myself a better weapon.

fanboi

Banned
Took Capra Deamon yesterday on my first run!

He wasn't that hard imo... just kill the dogs, then lock on to Capra, strafe up to the stairs wait for him to attack. You then roll down, wait for him to jump down where he is "stunned", attack rinse and repeat.

Seanspeed

Banned
The easiest way I've found to get past the archer is to run all the way up to the wall, get close enough to the right archer to make him take out his sword, then back up immediately once he does.
Yup, thats how I accomplished it.

The poison arrow thing I couldn't get to work. I would edge over with millimeter adjustments and I couldn't get my shots off. The second I could, I was also in range to get hit, which just knocked me right off, killing me. Tried that 3 times and I'm not sure how others are doing it.

I'm feeling pretty weak now, though. I think I'm gonna give up on my SL9 run and just start leveling more normally. I imagine I'll still remain somewhat behind, leveling-wise, so it should be a bit more challenging than it would be otherwise, but I'd like to speed up the battles a little bit.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'm feeling pretty weak now, though. I think I'm gonna give up on my SL9 run and just start leveling more normally. I imagine I'll still remain somewhat behind, leveling-wise, so it should be a bit more challenging than it would be otherwise, but I'd like to speed up the battles a little bit.

Don't do it man! SL9 is already too high. :p

For Anor Londo archers you just roll through the arrows and wait for him to draw his sword, then parry him. Occasionally he'll fall off after a parry too. Hardest part for me is running past those damned electric harpies who cheap shot you from behind.

Amaron

Banned
I got a double K.O with Pinwheel once (yeah...) and his drop was also gone.

The awesome part about pinwheel is that you can farm for all three of his masks near the end of the Tomb of Giants.

And I believe it is only NPCs. I recall you gain items from defeating a boss automatically such as when you cut off a tail, no?

The awesome part about pinwheel is that you can farm for all three of his masks near the end of the Tomb of Giants.

And I believe it is only NPCs. I recall you gain items from defeating a boss automatically such as when you cut off a tail, no?

You can also buy them from patches!

Nekki

Capra demon was kinda hard as a STR tanky character. You need to be fairly mobile.

Still got him though.

Yeah. My first character was like this. Now on my Dex run... everything's easier!! Of course I have the knowledge of having beaten them already, but still!

Nekki

Okay, got to O&S. Man knowledge makes this so different. But I must say I'm starting to think killing Smough first is near impossible (at least with my build/skills). Ornstein goes down easy though.

Okay, got to O&S. Man knowledge makes this so different. But I must say I'm starting to think killing Smough first is near impossible (at least with my build/skills). Ornstein goes down easy though.
I always take out Smough first, he's weak to lightning and is pretty easy to stagger IMO. It's often a bit like fighting the Asylum Demon as you can mash him up and he will do the butt-bounce repeatedly. I completely suck at dodging his rushing attack though - always roll too early, which is why I take him out first, prefer to fight Super Ornstein.

Nekki

Is there any website where there's a comprehensive telling of the story? Because what I can gather is not much at all, and there's a lot of interesting stuff!

On an ENB related note, it's funny how not even hours after he releases a video saying that the Great Scythe is the best dex weapon, I am suddenly getting hounded by Great Scythe invaders, almost with no exception.

Sullichin

On an ENB related note, it's funny how not even hours after he releases a video saying that the Great Scythe is the best dex weapon, I am suddenly getting hounded by Great Scythe invaders, almost with no exception.

Yeah it's kinda crazy. I like his videos but some of his fans are... well, I don't know the word. Not very smart maybe. I don't even think he really does PVP, I don't think he was saying it's the best PVP weapon, although it is good in PVP if you know how to use it. I'm enjoying this batch of great scythe scrubs though. Also, although he constantly says "this is just my opinion" some people cling to his words and talk about his lore theories as if they were canonical.

Arjen

Heh, im guilty if trying out the great scythe after watching that vid. I really liked it, somehow i never tried it before. But im certainly dont follow his advice blindly, i dont feel his love for the estoc and balder side sword.

Top Bottom