• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

dsvoid

Neo Member
So what is up with the characters from Carim in this game?
You have Lautrec
who kills the Fire Keeper at Firelink Shrine.
Then there's the unassuming Chester
who later invades you, although I gotta admit he has CLASS.
Finally, we have Oswald, who doesn't really do anything bad per se but also has that creepy aura about him like Lautrec and Chester.
Is everyone from Carim this screwed up?

Mileena

Banned
Speaking of invaders, I really hope the next game's NPC invaders are MUCH harder. Every NPC who invades you in this game is a piece of cake.

compared to the black phantoms in Demons, yea the NPC invaders in Dark are free as hell. One of the few areas Demons really shines over Dark.

Booshka

Just started playing this for the first time... was not expecting it to be this challenging :lol

You're not fighting the skeletons in the graveyard right? Because they are too tough for you right now and you should be fighting areas up a path to the right.

CzarTim

You're not fighting the skeletons in the graveyard right? Because they are too tough for you right now and you should be fighting areas up a path to the right.

Yep, figured that out quickly!

I'm really enjoying it so far. The combat "clicked" for me a little while ago, and now I'm making progress. I still suck though.

Booshka

Yep, figured that out quickly!

I'm really enjoying it so far. The combat "clicked" for me a little while ago, and now I'm making progress. I still suck though.

Just take it slow, soak it in and pay attention to everything the game is telling you, both bluntly and subtlety. Read item descriptions, pay attention to all dialogue from NPC's, talk to them until they start repeating themselves.

Try to fight only one or two enemies at any given time, and closely monitor and control your stamina, you'll be fine.

Portugeezer

You can kill them, it just takes long, and there's cool loot. Problem is the big skeletons, but you can glitch them by going back up near some stairs and there is a cliff edge, they can drop off.

dsvoid

Neo Member
So I FINALLY noticed the connection between Darkroot Garden and
how its layout is exactly the same as Oolacile since it WAS Oolacile!
That totally blew my mind!

You can kill them, it just takes long, and there's cool loot. Problem is the big skeletons, but you can glitch them by going back up near some stairs and there is a cliff edge, they can drop off.
Quit to menu also resets enemy positions, kind of cheap but I always do a run on the items and do that when I get to the binoculars so the run back up is clear!

Ricker

Now my game keeps crashing... Takes about 30 seconds and it just shuts itself.

I can't win.

/Eh tried reinstalling DSFix, enabling a different backup save. It's borked. Goddamnit the game keeps crashing. This started right as I recovered my save earlier today.

vUuENus.jpg

This is all I get.

This is what my friend is getting also on his Alien X51 with W8(he just bought the game last week)...we tried a bunch of things and he gets that screen all the time...

woah hold the fuck up.

i have 300+ hours in this game and you mean to tell me
YOU CAN SUMMON FUCKING SIF FOR MANUS!?

this game. this fucking game mang.

Kunohara

woah hold the fuck up.

i have 300+ hours in this game and you mean to tell me
YOU CAN SUMMON FUCKING SIF FOR MANUS!?

this game. this fucking game mang.

You think that's bad, I kept trying to kill him without the pendant that blocks his magic. I almost beat him a couple of times just by trying to dodge his magic. I then just decided to look up some strats for him since I didn't want to keep wasting time, and found out about the pendant. Next try, he goes down. I never found
young sif
to be that much of a help in the fight anyway.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This is what my friend is getting also on his Alien X51 with W8(he just bought the game last week)...we tried a bunch of things and he gets that screen all the time...

I can't get past that screen either. Some people have had some luck by going to the MS site and downloading the GFWL client directly. (Apparently Steam doesn't do a full install which makes Win 8 choke.)

The steps suggested in the steam community forums are 1) uninstall DS. 2) install the MS client 3) Reinstall DS and it should work.

Of course that hasn't helped me at all. Game still dies before I can even enter the serial.

Beat Gaping Dragon, has 30,000 souls, feels elated.

Lights Blightown fireplace, looks down at phone. Is invaded.. dies.
Fails to reach souls because forgets he was stronger when human.

Cries.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Beat Gaping Dragon, has 30,000 souls, feels elated.

Lights Blightown fireplace, looks down at phone. Is invaded.. dies.
Fails to reach souls because forgets he was stronger when human.

Cries.

Wha? You're not stronger as a human... also, if you were invaded by the bonfire, all you had to do was stick around there, your bloodstain would have been close in reach. Also rings of sacrifice.

Ah well, now you know better. :p

Wha? You're not stronger as a human... also, if you were invaded by the bonfire, all you had to do was stick around there, your bloodstain would have been close in reach. Also rings of sacrifice.

Ah well, now you know better. :p
I hadn't rested at it unfortunately, only lit it.

Shall check that Ring, think I had forgotten they even existed as I've never used one.

Weird about the humanity, I seemed to do a lot better in Blighttown when human when compared to how it went when I was undead.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You get a bit more defense and curse resistance when you are carrying "soft" humanity (i.e. the humanity in your counter, not the consumable items in your inventory), and when you die and become Hollow your humanity is lost in the bloodstain so maybe you noticed taking more damage, but if you retrieve your stain and don't revive and stay hollow you still get those defense bonuses, so yeah... being human and pretty doesn't make you stronger.

Ferrio

Banned
So how intensive is this on the PC? I have the PS3 version and it has some pretty bad slowdown in places, is it the same on PC?

Have a I5 clocked at 4.4k and AMD 5850.

zkylon

zkylewd
So how intensive is this on the PC? I have the PS3 version and it has some pretty bad slowdown in places, is it the same on PC?

not much, it's pretty smooth, even at 60 fps 2560x1600 on my mid-tier PC.

Mileena

Banned

Your PC is better than mine and I run at 720p 60fps with a little AA and stuff.

Sullichin

I still play this at 30fps usually with a 7870. I can get 60fps but it's not locked, and the little dips are really annoying, 30fps locked feels much better.

I have an i3-2100 + 5850. I can't get a consistent 60fps. 30fps is really easy even when downsampled.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Similar situation here. I'm running a 16GBDDR3, GTX 690 SLI (only one for this game though), 2600k 4.4 OC...and I still can't maintain a near rock solid 60fps. No matter how many settings I mess with.

So I just end up capping it at 30 through DSFix (or Nvidia Inspector with Vsync forced on) and load it up with cool mods.

Booshka

That's another reason I don't do 60fps, half-rolls.

I've been meaning to ask you if you were aware of a Twitch Dark Souls streamer by the name of Lobos, he does a lot of Dark Souls challenge runs and streams them live. Seeing as how you seem to be into challenge runs, I'd think you would be interested.

He is doing a no bonfire, no healing SL 1 run right now. He's up to Nito at the moment.

twitch.tv/lobosjr

ArynCrinn

Banned
I've been meaning to ask you if you were aware of a Twitch Dark Souls streamer by the name of Lobos, he does a lot of Dark Souls challenge runs and streams them live. Seeing as how you seem to be into challenge runs, I'd think you would be interested.

He is doing a no bonfire, no healing SL 1 run right now. He's up to Nito at the moment.

twitch.tv/lobosjr

Awesome, I'll check it out! But no, I've never streamed on Twitch.

Top Bottom