• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

I've been meaning to ask you if you were aware of a Twitch Dark Souls streamer by the name of Lobos, he does a lot of Dark Souls challenge runs and streams them live. Seeing as how you seem to be into challenge runs, I'd think you would be interested.

He is doing a no bonfire, no healing SL 1 run right now. He's up to Nito at the moment.

twitch.tv/lobosjr

He's doing a no HUD/no menus run now. Just wacky. Only possible with the power of Durante DSFix™

He's doing a no HUD/no menus run now. Just wacky. Only possible with the power of Durante DSFix™

Haha, this is crazy. It would probably be more entertaining if he did just no HUD, but allowed menus. The no HUD thing is cool, but watching him fumble through invisible menus gets a bit old.

Ricker

My friend finally got this to work launching the game in admin mod from the exe,otherwise he would get the message that Windows 8 stopped working,but now he gets the message that he will not be able to save because he is not connected to GFWL...He download the GFWL thing from the link on XBox.com,he has a Gamertag and all but in the first menu,after the cannot save message,he sees the Live button but nothing happens when he clicks on it...

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
My friend finally got this to work launching the game in admin mod from the exe,otherwise he would get the message that Windows 8 stopped working,but now he gets the message that he will not be able to save because he is not connected to GFWL...He download the GFWL thing from the link on XBox.com,he has a Gamertag and all but in the first menu,after the cannot save message,he sees the Live button but nothing happens when he clicks on it...

Did he uninstall DS before he installed GFWL? GFWL doesn't figure out that games installed before it was installed are compatible.

SJRB

Gold Member
I ordered Dark Souls Design Works off of eBay last December, but my copy still hasn't arrived. I suppose it's safe to say that I got fucked over and someone had a nice evening on my 75 euros. So to the eBay seller: I hope you fucking die.

However, I really want this artbook. Does anyone know a legit store aside from Amazon which still has the Design Works in stock?

Ricker

Did he uninstall DS before he installed GFWL? GFWL doesn't figure out that games installed before it was installed are compatible.

Good question,I think he did not,thanks for the tip,we will try that...it may be just that,I mean we have tried everything else...

TheExodu5

Banned

Caerith

I have a lore question.

In Demon's Souls, they explain the use of souls (as currency, and the collecting of boss's souls) in the context of the arch/demons and the Old One. The demons feed on the souls of men (reducing them to soul-starved madmen) and, in turn, feed those souls to the archdemons who then feed them to the Old One. Plus, there are the "soul arts," the use of souls to grow stronger, to learn magic, or to enhance weapons beyond what a normal blacksmith could do. Soul arts and demons go hand-in-hand, and it makes perfect sense why everyone in the Nexus uses souls for everything. (If you haven't played Demon's Souls, this isn't a spoiler-- this is all pretty much explained right off the bat in the opening cutscene and the mandatory conversations with the Maiden in Black and the Monumental.)

In Dark Souls, humanity is the real commodity. Instead of losing their souls and going mad like in Demon's Souls, there are the undead who eventually lose their humanity and go hollow (and, subsequently, mad). The emphasis on humanity is partially explained by Oscar, and more thoroughly explained by the crestfallen NPC at Firelink. And humanity is certainly important. But the only souls mentioned in the lore are the lords' souls.

The lords' souls-- Nito's, Izalith's, Gwyn's, and the Pygmy's-- are introduced in the opening cinematic and are part of the plot and are explained, to some extent, in the context of the Lordvessel and what the ancient serpents want you to do with it. And I get that the Pygmy's soul is
the titular "dark soul" which has been fragmented into humanity
, which totally makes sense for the plots of both ancient serpents and the ending choices. The souls of lords pretty much drive the plot. But what about non-lord souls?

You use (non-lord) souls to level, and for currency, and to learn magic and augment your weapons, including using boss's souls like in Demon's Souls. It's pretty much the soul arts all over again, but was it ever explained? There's a ton of lore in Dark Souls, so maybe I missed something, but I've been looking for an explanation to this and have never seen one. Lords' souls are explained and humanity is explained, but regular souls, as far as I can tell, never are-- are they?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Good question,I think he did not,thanks for the tip,we will try that...it may be just that,I mean we have tried everything else...

It's also important to have steam closed entirely while installing GFWL. I finally got my Steam sale version working, and that was the step I think I was missing during my last attempt.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting this on Steam, but I'm awful when it comes to specs - can my laptop run this thing? It's got an Intel i5 at 2.50ghz, 6gb of RAM and the Intel 4000 graphics chip. Does it need a dedicated graphics card? Cheers.

*edit, nevermind, some youtube videos confirm it at least runs, albeit at 15fps.

Woo, just beat the asylum demon, it runs fine. Really should have picked this up sooner, as I loved Demon's Souls.

Just wanted to post here and share the excitement and dat sense of accomplishment. :))

I'm currently replaying DS on my PC and I'm at around ~27hr mark. Playing as a SL 54 pyro with fully upgraded Ascended Pyromancy Flame, Quelaag's Furysword +5, Gold Hemmed Black Set, etc.
I AM LOVING THIS.

I feel much more confident now that during my first PS3 playthrough.

Yesterday I beat O&S and it was magnificent. I went the more difficult route. Beat S first then O. In NG+ I'll go the other way around.

I'm leaving the additional content for last, before the final boss battle.

Piece of advice: what shield do you recommend that I upgrade? I currently walk with Eagle/Dragon Crest/Crest (depending on the situation) and I still haven't got the Black Knight Shield drop (that I upgraded to +5 during my initial PS3 playthrough).
What's your take on this, GAF? QFS+5 and Lighting Spear +5 are in my right hand, again depending on the enemy.

Cheers!

Piece of advice: what shield do you recommend that I upgrade? I currently walk with Eagle/Dragon Crest/Crest (depending on the situation) and I still haven't got the Black Knight Shield drop (that I upgraded to +5 during my initial PS3 playthrough).
What's your take on this, GAF? QFS+5 and Lighting Spear +5 are in my right hand, again depending on the enemy.

Those are all good shields. I'd also recommend carrying around a Grass Crest, as the stamina regeneration is great. I also like the Tower Shield personally, but it's heavy and you can't parry. So it depends on your playstyle I guess.

Can someone explain shield upgrades? I haven't done any because I look at the stat changes and it appears to just increase your shield attack. What does upgrading shields do and should you ever do it?

Can someone explain shield upgrades? I haven't done any because I look at the stat changes and it appears to just increase your shield attack. What does upgrading shields do and should you ever do it?
It increases stability. See for example Black Knight Shield upgrade path:

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/black-knight-shield

Stability: Determines the amount of stamina expended to block an incoming attack. A higher stability also allows you to block stronger attacks without breaking guard and reduces the amount of stamina depleted from blocking attacks.

It increases stability. See for example Black Knight Shield upgrade path:

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/black-knight-shield

Stability: Determines the amount of stamina expended to block an incoming attack. A higher stability also allows you to block stronger attacks without breaking guard and reduces the amount of stamina depleted from blocking attacks.

Oh damn. So it is important! Guess I'll start grinding some upgrades for a while.

Caerith

The shields I focus on are Crest Shield (Magic Resist), Dragon Crest Shield (Fire Resist), Grass Crest Shield (Stamina), and Tartar Control Crest Shield (Toothpaste Joke). Grass Crest doesn't block 100% physical though. Blood Shield is good for resists, and Spider Shield is a must-have if you're going after blowdart snipers (blocks poison/toxin). For melee, the Balder Shield and Silver Knight Shield have the highest stability; Silver Knight has 1 more than Balder at max level (and is easier to level) but needs 14 STR, Balder needs 12 STR so it's usable by a SL1 Pyro.

Yes, I run around with 6 shields, but I mostly just use Dragon/Crest, Spider, and Balder.

Booshka

The shields I focus on are Crest Shield (Magic Resist), Dragon Crest Shield (Fire Resist), Grass Crest Shield (Stamina), and Tartar Control Crest Shield (Toothpaste Joke). Grass Crest doesn't block 100% physical though. Blood Shield is good for resists, and Spider Shield is a must-have if you're going after blowdart snipers (blocks poison/toxin). For melee, the Balder Shield and Silver Knight Shield have the highest stability; Silver Knight has 1 more than Balder at max level (and is easier to level) but needs 14 STR, Balder needs 12 STR so it's usable by a SL1 Pyro.

Yes, I run around with 6 shields, but I mostly just use Dragon/Crest, Spider, and Balder.

Along with those I am pretty fond of the Kite shields, Caduceus and Tower. They have the same stats with just different looks, 3.0 units, 72 Stability at +15, 100% Physical, good Fire and decent lightning resists, magic is pretty bad and that is where I switch to Crest when needed. I like using the Kite shields so I don't have to adjust my gear to compensate for difference in weight. Heater shield is also good at +14/15 with 68 stability, and it weighs 2.0 which pays off huge when you are going for fast roll with heavier weapons or armor.

Soulhouf

It's been a while I don't use shields anymore but a Dark hand which is perfect to do emergency blocks.
It has shitty stability and phy blocks only 80% but it's so light and good for non physical attacks blocking.

Loxley

I finally beat that damn Taurus demon, really don't remember having this much trouble with him the first time around. In the classically ironic way, I got my ass kicked the first few times I tried to kill him, then took a break in shear frustration for a few weeks, only to come back and beat him on my first try.

Granted this time around I cheesed the fight a little bit. I didn't use the often-suggested "drop and stab" method -which worked just fine on my first playthrough on the PS3, I did that maneuver once and couldn't get it to work again after that (kept getting nervous, fumbling with the controls on the 360 pad and hitting the wrong button while plummeting towards his head). So I proceeded to just spam the shit out of my firebombs and dodge when necessary, worked like a charm :) This time around I was thankful that I knew about the dragon on the bridge, so I managed to get passed that part without a scratch.

And hot damn this game looks great at 1080p.

Booshka

It's been a while I don't use shields anymore but a Dark hand which is perfect to do emergency blocks.
It has shitty stability and phy blocks only 80% but it's so light and good for non physical attacks blocking.

It also knocks you back when you block with it so you can roll out of the way after that. Just need enough stability to block first hit and be able to roll, but it is very effective for light builds that roll more than they block.

+15 Great Serpent Mansword (no matter how hard I focus, I always fail and say it like this) or +15 Claymore; what say you guys?

No PvP.

Also, silly question: you can NG+ as many times as you want to, right? NG+++++++++++, for example.

Thanks, Sunbros.

Booshka

+15 Great Serpent Mansword (no matter how hard I focus, I always fail and say it like this) or +15 Claymore; what say you guys?

No PvP.

Also, silly question: you can NG+ as many times as you want to, right? NG+++++++++++, for example.

Thanks, Sunbros.

If you have only Strength, +15 Mansword, if you have high Strength and Dexterity, +15 Claymore.

You can NG+ as much as you would like, the difficulty keeps getting harder and harder all the way up to NG+7, then that difficulty stays for all subsequent playthroughs past that.

If you have only Strength, +15 Mansword, if you have high Strength and Dexterity, +15 Claymore.

You can NG+ as much as you would like, the difficulty keeps getting harder and harder all the way up to NG+7, then that difficulty stays for all subsequent playthroughs past that.

Thanks, dude. Between you and the wikis, I am well and truly covered!

CTE

Except that the player will notice the jump from NG to NG+ more than anything. Isn't it a 40% increase compared to much lower increases on further plays?

Atruvius

Bought the game yesterday and have only played around 3 hours but I had a pretty awesome moment just now.

I was away from the game for a few minutes, come back and see this dark wraith with a scythe standing right behind me. He isn't attacking me so I wave at him which makes him attack me. We battle for a while, I make very little damage to him but manage to kill him. He didn't actively try to kill me though, so I could go behind him and do backstabs etc.

So after I've killed him he sends me message. I'd get someone raging at me calling me a hacker or using lag switches or something but no. This guy sends me message saying that he gave me a tutorial on PVP to prepare me when other people invade me and also gave me a few tips.

An actual nice guy on the internet, Dark Souls community seems pretty awesome!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys, I made a wallpaper from the box art.

ib0ZbZZP76y92g.jpg

PNG version.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Nice but I think I'm going to stick with my Destiny wallpaper for now.

p.s you should put the image inside a quote, kinda breaking forum width at the moment.

This is a bit silly and someone's probably pointed it out before, but it came to mind the other day while playing; if you say Smough (presuming it's pronounced like "though") with a Japanese accent...

Booshka

This is a bit silly and someone's probably pointed it out before, but it came to mind the other day while playing; if you say Smough (presuming it's pronounced like "though") with a Japanese accent...

It's actually pronounced Smoff, similar with Gough, it would be pronounced Goff.

Hi folks! ~40hrs in. SL 81 pyromancer.
Lost Izalith is the only area left in the original game.

I plan to go to DLC area now. Any advice? No spoilers please... :)

Ok, I need a favor.

Would anyone be willing to help me free Big Logan real quick in the Dukes Archive? I just beat it and do not want to go back through that mess trying to find him... Please... someone help

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Hey Dark Souls-GAF, you guys helped me out a few pages back when I asked for basic instructions. Well about 25 hours later I'm addicted to this game and I love it but I have a feeling I may be leveling up my character wrong. I'm thinking about starting over with a new character with the knowledge I've gained since first starting out.

Class: Warrior
Gift: Goddess's Blessing
Physique: Large

Level 34
Vitality 22
Attunement 10
Endurance 15
Strength 26
Dexterity 13
Resistance 11
Intelligence 10
Faith 9

I'm at Darkroot Gardens right before the fight with that Butterfly boss.

How am I doing so far? Anything you guys would change? I finally got to the blacksmith and started using souls on my weapons which has made the game a hell of a lot easier like you guys said it would. I have the Drake Sword, which I haven't been able to level up, at 200, a Zweihander at +3 169 Damage and a battle axe at +4 133 Damage.

My brother was preaching the gospel about the Zweihander and showed me how to get it early in the game, but IMO it sucks because its way to damn slow.

Only problem is I'd like to be able to use Heal spells and Fire spells every once in a while. I bought the heal spell and have it equipped on the d-pad but can't use it.

Only problem is I'd like to be able to use Heal spells and Fire spells every once in a while. I bought the heal spell and have it equipped on the d-pad but can't use it.
You use miracles by equipping a talisman, there is a free one in a chest very, very early on or you can buy one from Petrus. IIRC you need 12 faith to use Heal, so you will need to put a few points into Faith next time you level up.

If you're not into the big slow weapons there are plenty of quicker weapons, I think picking a weapon you like and upgrading it to +5 should be your priority atm, although Moonlight Butterfly is one of the easier bosses, especially if you have any long range spells or miracles.

Since you don't like slow weapons, I wouldn't put any more points into Strength unless your chosen weapon needs it, and you will probably need a few more in dex to use a wider range of weapons. Big weapons tend to be tied to STR, quick weapons to DEX and then there are "quality" weapons which scale with both DEX and STR - I'd go for those since you already have quite high strength for your level.

God DAMN that Kalameet bastard is annoying. Tried to cut his tail whole evening. Managed to get it few minutes ago with a summon phantom. Thanks stranger! You helped me a lot.

I hate this boss. I'm SL84, I have no problem with this game (my 2nd playthrough) but this boss man... it's so...cheap. ughhhhh.

#rant

The way Smough's name is written in Japanese suggests it should be pronounced "smo" so yeah, you're right about the sumo pun. The thing is that Gough's name is written the same way in Japanese, so while the Japanese script suggests it should be pronounced "go", his voice actor says "goff".

Whoa....THIS WAS SO GOOD.

I beat that asshole Kalameet just now.

Summoned two phantoms, triggered the boss fight, went up and pounded away at Kalameet with my Dragonslayer Greatbow +5 while the phantoms rolled and teased it "downstairs". Who ho! \o/

Ok, I need a favor.

Would anyone be willing to help me free Big Logan real quick in the Dukes Archive? I just beat it and do not want to go back through that mess trying to find him... Please... someone help

You can't summon phantoms in an area if the boss is dead. You will have to reach him alone.

It's actually pretty easy:
Just go to the bonfire in the balcony and enter the room with the secret passage that leads to the garden. He will be behind the book shelf.

Hey Dark Souls-GAF, you guys helped me out a few pages back when I asked for basic instructions. Well about 25 hours later I'm addicted to this game and I love it but I have a feeling I may be leveling up my character wrong. I'm thinking about starting over with a new character with the knowledge I've gained since first starting out.

Class: Warrior
Gift: Goddess's Blessing
Physique: Large

Level 34
Vitality 22
Attunement 10
Endurance 15
Strength 26
Dexterity 13
Resistance 11
Intelligence 10
Faith 9

I'm at Darkroot Gardens right before the fight with that Butterfly boss.

damn

I'm a little further than you and nowhere near as highly leveled

Have you been farming like a mother or what

Top Bottom