• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Booshka

I have like 80 humanity atm.
Abyss does something like 250+250
Halberd does about 350+150
Both 500.
Halberd does more damage by about 30% in every situation (riposte,r1,bs).

Is this one handed or two handed. Halberd class weapons count as thrust I believe, so they usually do more damage in ripostes and backstabs. What are your weapon stats, i.e. DEX, STR.

chunk3rvd

For the weapon acheivements, am I ok to use a slab on something then Alt+F4 out once the notification pops? Figure it could save me making a blue slab run in NG+ and wasting slabs I actually want to use on fire, crsytal, lightnig etc

Seance

Banned
Is this one handed or two handed. Halberd class weapons count as thrust I believe, so they usually do more damage in ripostes and backstabs. What are your weapon stats, i.e. DEX, STR.

32 strength 20 dex. But the same was true when I was at 22 strength also, despite better strength scaling on the AG.

Sullichin

For the weapon acheivements, am I ok to use a slab on something then Alt+F4 out once the notification pops? Figure it could save me making a blue slab run in NG+ and wasting slabs I actually want to use on fire, crsytal, lightnig etc

This should work as long as you don't leave the upgrade screen before quitting, because that triggers the autosave.
There's another blue slab in the DLC if you haven't gotten that yet, in a chest in Royal Wood

32 strength 20 dex. But the same was true when I was at 22 strength also, despite better strength scaling on the AG.

Physical DEF stat has separate values for strike, slash, and thrust attack. On some enemies - for example the guardians in Royal Wood and the armored boar - a weapon like a club will do more damage than a thrusting weapon like a rapier/halberd. Maybe the enemies you were attacking were weaker to thrust damage.

Soulhouf

The best way to test this effectively is against the 1st enemies you encounter in the Undead Burg. They don't have any particular resistance, so the comparison will be more relevant.

If the 2 weapons do pure physical damage and have the same AR (~500), that's very curious if they don't do the same damage.
The BK Halberd does not have any bonus other than for ripost, backstab and counter, so i don't really see how that is possible really...

Sullichin

Hello Souls-GAF. A local online retailer is selling a voucher for DS:pTDE at a great price. But I don't know anything about it other than that it's a voucher. What are my chances that this'll activate on Steam? Is there even a form of DS:pTDE that doesn't activate on Steam? Many thanks.

Pretty sure every PC version is steam and even the retail version can be redeemned on steam

Booshka

This should work as long as you don't leave the upgrade screen before quitting, because that triggers the autosave.
There's another blue slab in the DLC if you haven't gotten that yet, in a chest in Royal Wood

On this topic, I found one inconsistency with the loot in the DLC that still bugs me, there is a Slab of every type in the DLC, except for a Red Slab. But, there is a well hidden and out of the way chest that contains a Red Chunk, it is my belief that this was a mistake and this should be a Red Slab. It just seems really strange to me that you can get a slab of the three other types, but you get a Red Chunk in a very out of way chest that requires a tricky jump, or light source to get to.

sixghost

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Is there a flat damage increase when you 2H a weapon, or is the additional damage coming from the 1.5x STR increase? Or is it both?

Booshka

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Is there a flat damage increase when you 2H a weapon, or is the additional damage coming from the 1.5x STR increase? Or is it both?

I'd say both, because even weapons that have zero strength scaling like katanas get a damage bonus from 2 handing. Weapons that have Strength scaling get the bonus in the Attack Rating in the stat sheet, and I'm sure it's also a flat bonus as well.

RSLAEV

OK screw getting Kalameet's tail. I grinded up a set of +5 Giant's armor and barely beat him. Yase I am a Dark Souls scrub. Still that asshole is dead-feels good man

Soulhouf

It is both.
From my experience there are 3 bonuses you gain when you attack 2H:

1- 1.5x str increase -> all weapons with str scaling will take advantage of it
2- There is a hidden damage added which applied to all weapons even for no scaling ones. I don't know if it's flat damage or not though.
3- The stunning ability of the weapon will increase significantly making guard break and stun lock much easier.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Damn good night in the Burg.

Ended up +19 with invasions every couple minutes.

Epic fights on ladders and even putting modders in their place. Why can't every night be like tonight?

Bought the game, and applied the resolution patch though I think I misapplied it. I have a huge vertical black bar on the right side of my screen that has some fire symbol and the start menu. It's really weird. Also the game seems to be running at 20 FPS...

EasyMode

Bought the game, and applied the resolution patch though I think I misapplied it. I have a huge vertical black bar on the right side of my screen that has some fire symbol and the start menu. It's really weird. Also the game seems to be running at 20 FPS...

Have you turned off the in-game antialiasing setting like the readme said? Also the game will run at 30 by default unless you use the following settings in DSFix.ini:

unlockFPS 1
FPSlimit 60

Zaverious

Has this happened to any of you?
You kindled a lot of bonfires then one day all of them are not kindled anymore? I had to rekindle my bonfires at Undead Parish and Darkroot Basin. This sucks.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Getting killed by the invisible lightning blast after Smough's butt stomp really sucks. I nearly had my SL6 Deprived run done perfect...

MMaRsu

Ill ask here.. I need to transfer my Dark Souls save to my new Ps3 before I sell this old one off, it's an 120 hr save I'd rather not lose.

Does anybody have one of those spare one month PSN+ codes so I can transfer it through the cloud?

Thanks guys

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Ill ask here.. I need to transfer my Dark Souls save to my new Ps3 before I sell this old one off, it's an 120 hr save I'd rather not lose.

Does anybody have one of those spare one month PSN+ codes so I can transfer it through the cloud?

Thanks guys

Not sure exactly how PS3s file system works but couldn't just copy the save onto a flash drive or keep the HDD?

What the hell? This is some serious shit.

I booted Dark Souls through Steam and it said that there was some problem syncing my saves with SteamCloud and offered me two options: download them to my computer or upload mine to theirs.

I was apparently stupid and clicked the first option and lost A TON of progress. I must've lost almost 5 hours of play time. Very critical stuff.

Any way to undo this shit? I'm so mad right now.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I booted Dark Souls through Steam and it said that there was some problem syncing my saves with SteamCloud and offered me two options: download them to my computer or upload mine to theirs.

I was apparently stupid and clicked the first option and lost A TON of progress. I must've lost almost 5 hours of play time. Very critical stuff.

If you're using DSfix, check if you have the save backup turned on. It could help.

Do you have the DSFix installed? There's a backup option in the DSFix.ini that automatically backs up your saves every 30 minutes or so. Take a look at the ini and see if it was on. If it was, just open up your Dark Souls save folder and they should be in there.

EDIT: Beaten by Alo81

Oh yeah. It worked!

Thanks dudes. Spent the most of the night yesterday grinding Chunks and perfecting my build while listening to podcasts and there just wasn't enough in me to do it all again. Also lost killing Manus, Kalameet, Sif and 4 Kings.

Now my game keeps crashing... Takes about 30 seconds and it just shuts itself.

I can't win.

/Eh tried reinstalling DSFix, enabling a different backup save. It's borked. Goddamnit the game keeps crashing. This started right as I recovered my save earlier today.

vUuENus.jpg

This is all I get.

Portugeezer

Guys I think I fucked up.

I accidentally attacked the blacksmith new Darkroot (my 360 controller is a bit dodgy, especially the bumpers), one hit and he started coming after me. I saved my game, I don't want to kill him but every time I load he just wants to kill me.

I'm level 60. I have all the repair and upgrade boxes for my bonfire, I have the other blacksmith at new Londo ruins to go to just in case, is this guy still important to me?

I am playing on PC, is there any cheats to bring him back,? I know there is a cheat to get a key you need when the game glitches and doesn't drop it from a character, I think it's called Cheat Engine. WTF this game man, one mistake fucks you over.

MotherFan

Ok, got this on the steam sale today and it said it is recommended for you to use a controller. Is M/KB going to be fine or is that really going to be a problem?

sixghost

I accidentally attacked the blacksmith new Darkroot (my 360 controller is a bit dodgy, especially the bumpers), one hit and he started coming after me. I saved my game, I don't want to kill him but every time I load he just wants to kill me.

I'm level 60. I have all the repair and upgrade boxes for my bonfire, I have the other blacksmith at new Londo ruins to go to just in case, is this guy still important to me?

I am playing on PC, is there any cheats to bring him back,? I know there is a cheat to get a key you need when the game glitches and doesn't drop it from a character, I think it's called Cheat Engine. WTF this game man, one mistake fucks you over.

You can pay a bunch of souls to the guy in the belltower to absolve your sins, which I believe resets the aggro on NPCs.
Ok, got this on the steam sale today and it said it is recommended for you to use a controller. Is M/KB going to be fine or is that really going to be a problem?

I cannot imagine playing this game with M/KB. Use a controller.

Booshka

Go to the top of the Belltower right after where you killed the Gargoyles, and talk to the NPC there, he can absolve you of sin and the blacksmith will go back to normal. It costs a decent chunk of souls, but it's worth it.

mikeGFG

Banned
hey dudes

I finally installed Dark Souls on steam and I need to know: what mods do I need, and where can I get the latest versions of said mods.

thanks.

Portugeezer

You can pay a bunch of souls to the guy in the belltower to absolve your sins, which I believe resets the aggro on NPCs.

Go to the top of the Belltower right after where you killed the Gargoyles, and talk to the NPC there, he can absolve you of sin and the blacksmith will go back to normal. It costs a decent chunk of souls, but it's worth it.

I will... if I need him. Do I? As I said, there is another blacksmith at new Londo ruins who can also level up my weapons it seems.

Booshka

I will... if I need him. Do I? As I said, there is another blacksmith at new Londo ruins who can also level up my weapons it seems.

No, you need him, all of the blacksmiths have specific upgrade paths tied to them. The blacksmith in the undead parish is far and away the most important blacksmith in the game.

The New Londo blacksmith is for Intelligence based weapon upgrading, which is based off of your intelligence stat. Undead Parish blacksmith can take weapons to +10, +15, Raw +5, Divine +5/+10, Occult +5. The most important being +10 and +15. +10 is needed to go to Crystal, Lightning or forge boss soul weapons. +15 is the best upgrade path overall because it does pure physical damage and allows your weapons to scale with Strength and Dexterity.

So, definitely absolve your sin and use him as your main blacksmith.

Top Bottom