• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Soulhouf

How do you farm for dragon scales?

You kill the drakes in the Valley of Drakes which is boring or, you put your dragon eye sign and do PvP.
I was able to collect the required number to go +3 in the covenant doing exclusively PvP. In the burg especially or the Painted World back then were many players who summoned me to do PvP.
Some people will favor summoning a dragon covenant member over the others because the dragon scale you win is much more precious than a humanity or the other rewards.

Hey, I'm looking for a comic that shows two different Dark (Demon's) souls players approach to a hallway with a trap, where one carefully navigates it and the other runs through like a doofus. Anyone have the link? Google is not helping me.

Nekki

I just finished this for the first time. Pretty salty with that ending. It took so much effort to actually beat the game, I was hoping for a little bit of pay off/eye candy. Got nothin' :(

I think it's a really interesting game at least, the difficulty peaks and troughs, notably peaks at stuff like Capra, O+S, but then some stages are really easy. Don't regret playing it because I'm glad I beat it, but damn, I need more of a reward :\

Research some into the story, that will probably give you some sort of satisfaction, depending on which ending you chose.

I just finished this for the first time. Pretty salty with that ending. It took so much effort to actually beat the game, I was hoping for a little bit of pay off/eye candy. Got nothin' :(

I think it's a really interesting game at least, the difficulty peaks and troughs, notably peaks at stuff like Capra, O+S, but then some stages are really easy. Don't regret playing it because I'm glad I beat it, but damn, I need more of a reward :\
It's about the journey not the destination. :)

Research some into the story, that will probably give you some sort of satisfaction, depending on which ending you chose.

Definitely. Once I realized what was actually happening during the endings, it kind of blew my mind.

Especially since you could easily argue that what seems like the "good" ending is actually the bad one, and the "bad" ending is the good one.

Nekki

Definitely. Once I realized what was actually happening during the endings, it kind of blew my mind.

Especially since you could easily argue that what seems like the "good" ending is actually the bad one, and the "bad" ending is the good one.

Definitely. But I think, as most things seem to be in this game, it's not so black and white ;).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Apparently there's a nasty glitch involving the stone sword that steals your stats but keeps your level, effectively permanently ruining your build... I don't know if it's on PC only or PS3 or Xbox, but a Japanese friend showed me a video and it's... awful. Just a heads-up, if you PvP a lot and see a stone greatsword, disconnect immediately.

Apparently there's a nasty glitch involving the stone sword that steals your stats but keeps your level, effectively permanently ruining your build... I don't know if it's on PC only or PS3 or Xbox, but a Japanese friend showed me a video and it's... awful. Just a heads-up, if you PvP a lot and see a stone greatsword, disconnect immediately.
*immediately buy stone sword*

Sullichin

*immediately buy stone sword*

Not a glitch, they were most likely using cheat engine and modifying the weapon properties. You could probably apply it to any weapon but it's probably easier on the stone greatsword for some reason. Unfortunately the only way to fix your stats is to use cheat engine yourself or load an earlier save. CE losers can also curse you instantly, or apply the homeward bone effect to a weapon attack, sending you to another bonfire. Or switch between being a red/white phantom. And a bunch of other annoying stuff.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Not a glitch, they were most likely using cheat engine and modifying the weapon properties. You could probably apply it to any weapon but it's probably easier on the stone greatsword for some reason. Unfortunately the only way to fix your stats is to use cheat engine yourself or load an earlier save. CE losers can also curse you instantly, or apply the homeward bone effect to a weapon attack, sending you to another bonfire. Or switch between being a red/white phantom. And a bunch of other annoying stuff.

I love it when cheat engine users blame lag for me bashing them 10 times with a reinforced club (getting the stagger) and resulting in zero damage... Yeah, that was totally lag.

Sullichin

I love it when cheat engine users blame lag for me bashing them 10 times with a reinforced club (getting the stagger) and resulting in zero damage... Yeah, that was totally lag.

I hate when people justify using CE/trainers for stupid shit. I invade in ToTG, some guy turns on infinite health after he realizes he's not going to win. I tell him he's lame and he says it's a fucked up place to invade. So.. that makes it ok to cheat?

Booshka

You kill the drakes in the Valley of Drakes which is boring or, you put your dragon eye sign and do PvP.
I was able to collect the required number to go +3 in the covenant doing exclusively PvP. In the burg especially or the Painted World back then were many players who summoned me to do PvP.
Some people will favor summoning a dragon covenant member over the others because the dragon scale you win is much more precious than a humanity or the other rewards.

The other reason that people favor dragon PvP is because it is the only way to have a guaranteed 1v1, you can't have any phantoms present and summon a dragon, and after the dragon player comes into your game, it is just you and him to fight. Unfortunately, if you have any other covenant attempt to invade you, the Dragon sign will go away, even if you have already attempted to summon it. Just another example of the half assed mechanics of a lot of the covenants. That's why Darkwraith is the way to go for invasions, you always get priority.

Where did you use the sign most of the time? I'm around SL50 and haven't gotten any lord souls yet.

chunk3rvd

I've setup port forwarding in the past in the hope of increasing my online activity but sometimes I see some of you referring to "open NAT" helping as well. What does this mean and how do I go about it? Have googled a bit but I'm not finding much helpful so far

Soulhouf

The other reason that people favor dragon PvP is because it is the only way to have a guaranteed 1v1, you can't have any phantoms present and summon a dragon, and after the dragon player comes into your game, it is just you and him to fight. Unfortunately, if you have any other covenant attempt to invade you, the Dragon sign will go away, even if you have already attempted to summon it. Just another example of the half assed mechanics of a lot of the covenants. That's why Darkwraith is the way to go for invasions, you always get priority.

Yeah thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot that.
The 1 vs 1 was a big deal indeed and dispite the low priority of the covenant I remember being summoned quite often in places like the Undead Burg, Painted World or Kiln of the first Flame back then.

@Humenkind: did you try Undead Burg (at the square area just before the 1st bonfire) or Painted World (near the bonfire)? They used to be good places for PvP.

God damn Seathe has to be the easiest boss in the game, if it wasn't for the tiny damage that his crystals do to you I would never take damage fighting him.

chunk3rvd

Playing round with my stats in a spreadsheet so I can decide how to finish off my first faith build. I overthink this stuff way too much :/ I've outlined several different options. Can anyone give me some input or advice on what would work best for a PVP build?

dEfgv1I.png

To explain my seemingly wasted points - I'm taking Dex to 20 as I've never used the Greatbows and wanted to try them out on this build. I also put 1 point into INT so I could buy the spells off Griggs

The question now seems to be 40 faith and more competitive VIT/END or 50 faith at the detriment of those two? Also, at 24 STR I can wield the Zwei and Man-Serpent with one hand but I've not tried anything heavier. I was going to take STR to 27 to 2H the DGM. Is it worth it and does 27 STR open up any other weapon options or would I be better served spending the 3 points elsewhere?

@sullichin - as you can see, I'm still at SL72 so can't join in your fun and games yet. I played for 8 hours yesterday and finished off everything in NG bar Priscilla and Gwindolyn so I'm about to take my first ever run through the DLC. Once I beat that I'm going to start boosting towards SL120 as I start NG+ so hopefully we can get some co-op and PVP going then

The DLC is the first new Souls content I'll have tackled in 18 months. I'm both excited and terrified in equal measures!

Soulhouf

Playing round with my stats in a spreadsheet so I can decide how to finish off my first faith build. I overthink this stuff way too much :/ I've outlined several different options. Can anyone give me some input or advice on what would work best for a PVP build?

dEfgv1I.png

To explain my seemingly wasted points - I'm taking Dex to 20 as I've never used the Greatbows and wanted to try them out on this build. I also put 1 point into INT so I could buy the spells off Griggs

The question now seems to be 40 faith and more competitive VIT/END or 50 faith at the detriment of those two? Also, at 24 STR I can wield the Zwei and Man-Serpent with one hand but I've not tried anything heavier. I was going to take STR to 27 to 2H the DGM. Is it worth it and does 27 STR open up any other weapon options or would I be better served spending the 3 points elsewhere?

@sullichin - as you can see, I'm still at SL72 so can't join in your fun and games yet. I played for 8 hours yesterday and finished off everything in NG bar Priscilla and Gwindolyn so I'm about to take my first ever run through the DLC. Once I beat that I'm going to start boosting towards SL120 as I start NG+ so hopefully we can get some co-op and PVP going then

The DLC is the first new Souls content I'll have tackled in 18 months. I'm both excited and terrified in equal measures!

You really shouldn't disperse your stats like that if you want a str/faith build.
From your current stats I recommend upping your str to 27, faith to 40 and the remaining in vit/end and you'll be fine.
You can 2H many str weapons and get the full effect or use the Obsidian Great Sword which is an excellent weapon that doesn't require high stats and can be buffed.

chunk3rvd

You really shouldn't disperse your stats like that if you want a str/faith build.
From your current stats I recommend upping your str to 27, faith to 40 and the remaining in vit/end and you'll be fine.
You can 2H many str weapons and get the full effect or use the Obsidian Great Sword which is an excellent weapon that doesn't require high stats and can be buffed.

Is it the wasted points in DEX you're referring to? Probably wasn't my best decision but comes in handy as I like to switch to my chaos washing pole sometimes. Kind of defeats the point of a strength build though!

Eliciel

Finished the game for the second time today. In the end I have to admit, that demon's souls was the better game for my personal taste. Although dark souls had some major improvements in the department of gameplay (at least for my taste) and made it easier for the player to understand certain mechanisms it never let the player truly understand the certain characters, missions and stories behind the multiple encounters on the way through the game world. I never felt anything than loneliness in dark souls. In demon's souls there were certain aspects of fellowship even partnerships. Dark Souls is just utterly amazing in leaving you all alone. All on yourself nothing to gain, nothing to win. You just play through the game and in the end you ask yourself: "Now what did I really gain by finishing the game"? I can't even tell what happens after the final boss dies. I just didn't really get it and I finished the game twice.

Demon's Souls on the other hand leaves you with some feeling of "accomplishment" the moment you finish it you get to know what happens to the world and what your doings changed in the world you were traveling for about 30-60 hours.

All in all:
Dark Souls is the more mature, sophisticated game that ALWAYS is one step ahead of your own vision and doings. It (always) owns you (and will always own you).

Demon's Souls likes to show to you that you are in control of your own fate. You can change everything if you just get to know how to act adequate. You (can) own it.

In other words: Demon's Souls likes you (deep deep inside his soul)
Dark Souls hates you and it shows it clearly in every situation that you WILL fail.

Both games aren't just generation defining games. They are establishing a new view and feel to games. They give you that feeling of being challenged to great efforts. Being a hero in a world without any hope.

Somehow it is like our actual world today ^^.

Soulhouf

Is it the wasted points in DEX you're referring to? Probably wasn't my best decision but comes in handy as I like to switch to my chaos washing pole sometimes. Kind of defeats the point of a strength build though!

Yes the dex and int points are wasted because that implies that you'll have less endurance and especially less vitality which will penalize you heavily in PvP.

You can also do a pseudo quality/faith build with 27 str, 40 dex, ~30 faith, 30 end and 40 vit. That way, even with less vit/end, the build is very versatile and you have still many choices.

Nekki

Finished the game for the second time today. In the end I have to admit, that demon's souls was the better game for my personal taste. Although dark souls had some major improvements in the department of gameplay (at least for my taste) and made it easier for the player to understand certain mechanisms it never let the player truly understand the certain characters, missions and stories behind the multiple encounters on the way through the game world. I never felt anything than loneliness in dark souls. In demon's souls there were certain aspects of fellowship even partnerships. Dark Souls is just utterly amazing in leaving you all alone. All on yourself nothing to gain, nothing to win. You just play through the game and in the end you ask yourself: "Now what did I really gain by finishing the game"? I can't even tell what happens after the final boss dies. I just didn't really get it and I finished the game twice.

All in all:
Dark Souls is the more mature, sophisticated game that ALWAYS is one step ahead of your own vision and doings. It (always) owns you (and will always own you).

Demon's Souls likes to show to you that you are in control of your own fate. You can change everything if you just get to know how to act adequate. You (can) own it.

In other words: Demon's Souls likes you (deep deep inside his soul)
Dark Souls hates you and it shows it clearly in every situation that you WILL fail.

Both games aren't just generation defining games. They are establishing a new view and feel to games. They give you that feeling of being challenged to great efforts. Being a hero in a world without any hope.

Somehow it is like our actual world today ^^.

Therein lies the beauty of the narrative to me. The Lordran you're in right now is a desolate and desperate world. Only a shadow of what it once was. And it's never really about YOUR journey, even though from your point of view as the player it may seem like it is. The game tells you this much from the beginning:

At the Asylum "This is your fate" as they show you trapped in a cell until the day you go hollow and go crazy. But I think this is misleading. The person that frees you (and later gives you the estus) is already directing you to ring the bells of awakening.

"There have been thousands before you": You're not really important by yourself.

In the end what happens to you and to the land doesn't matter.
"This is your fate" to me, means you were driven to do whatever you did from the very beginning.
. The consequences of either ending are clear if you have at least some understanding of the background story.

So yes, in a sense, Dark Souls doesn't care about you haha.

2AdEPT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdybh46ATqk

I came across this video, spectrum by flo and the machine ...."when we first came here we were cold and clear/ light and paper thin" = hollow or phantom......

dressed in blue grey and black = multiplayer

Another line ......"with metal on our tongues and silver in our lungs"

perfect song for the soundtrack of souls series so far.... maybe for DS2 but sounds like these guys would cost too much....this song hit #1 in Britain. Still, their other songs seem to have apt titles:

Dog days are over - Sif
Breath of Life - dragon breath?
no light, no light - no bonfire

edit:at very least the harris remix should be used for a pvp recording:

enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-6Y_91v5I

anyway real 'dark' band and i thought a good one to pair with....

ArynCrinn

Banned
I honestly think the Club might be the absolute worst weapon for Ornstein & Smough... The timing is annoying and the recovery is annoying, and it take three consecutive hits to stagger Orns. And with no rings the R2 doesn't leave a lot of stamina to get away.

2AdEPT

I honestly think the Club might be the absolute worst weapon for Ornstein & Smough... The timing is annoying and the recovery is annoying, and it take three consecutive hits to stagger Orns. And with no rings the R2 doesn't leave a lot of stamina to get away.

What are you doing right now? Last I remember you were not giving yourself much to chose from?

ArynCrinn

Banned
What are you doing right now? Last I remember you were not giving yourself much to chose from?

Deprived run:

Starting equipment only
No Healing
No elemental weapons
No Pyro
Melee only
No Rings
No Resins or consumables

....it sucks for this fight! I'm using a Occult Club +4 and still struggling.

Seance

Banned
Even after 300 hours of Dark Souls, I can't figure out what the deal is with split damage. My Abyss Greatsword and BK halberd do the same damage on paper, but in reality the halberd does like 30% more?

:/

Soulhouf

Deprived run:

Starting equipment only
No Healing
No elemental weapons
No Pyro
Melee only
No Rings
No Resins or consumables

....it sucks for this fight! I'm using a Occult Club +4 and still struggling.

I took me a couple tries but I beat them SL1 with an unupgraded Reinforced Club without using any resin or the ROFAP. Super Orstein is much more manageable than Super Smough.

Even after 300 hours of Dark Souls, I can't figure out what the deal is with split damage. My Abyss Greatsword and BK halberd do the same damage on paper, but in reality the halberd does like 30% more?

Abyss Great Sword is a single damage weapon. You're talking about the Great Sword of Artorias right?
Split damage goes against 2 defenses, so the total damage is more reduced than with a single damage weapon.

Darkwater

Hello Souls-GAF. A local online retailer is selling a voucher for DS:pTDE at a great price. But I don't know anything about it other than that it's a voucher. What are my chances that this'll activate on Steam? Is there even a form of DS:pTDE that doesn't activate on Steam? Many thanks.

Raide

Hello Souls-GAF. A local online retailer is selling a voucher for DS:pTDE at a great price. But I don't know anything about it other than that it's a voucher. What are my chances that this'll activate on Steam? Is there even a form of DS:pTDE that doesn't activate on Steam? Many thanks.

Activates on Steam fine. Well, my code did. It still links to GFWL but thats about it.

Booshka

Abyss Great Sword is a single damage weapon. You're talking about the Great Sword of Artorias right?
Split damage goes against 2 defenses, so the total damage is more reduced than with a single damage weapon.

On top of this, if it is the Abyss Greatsword you are referring to, there are a couple other factors that could be behind the damage discrepancy. The Abyss Greatsword has humanity scaling (this one goes up to 11, lol), so try to have 11 humanity in your counter for more damage. Also, the Abyss Greatsword scales with both Dex and Str equally, at C for both, whereas the Halberd is mostly a STR scaling weapon with higher base damage as well. So if you have more STR than DEX, the Black Knight Halberd will do more damage, whereas if you had say 27 STR and 40 DEX, and 11 Humanity the Abyss Greatsword would do more damage. Also, the Abyss greatsword weighs considerably less, so it has that going for it too.

Soulhouf

Did you allow healing though?

Of course.

On top of this, if it is the Abyss Greatsword you are referring to, there are a couple other factors that could be behind the damage discrepancy. The Abyss Greatsword has humanity scaling (this one goes up to 11, lol), so try to have 11 humanity in your counter for more damage. Also, the Abyss Greatsword scales with both Dex and Str equally, at C for both, whereas the Halberd is mostly a STR scaling weapon with higher base damage as well. So if you have more STR than DEX, the Black Knight Halberd will do more damage, whereas if you had say 27 STR and 40 DEX, and 11 Humanity the Abyss Greatsword would do more damage. Also, the Abyss greatsword weighs considerably less, so it has that going for it too.

For what I understood, he was comparing the output damage (base damage + scaling) when he said the BK Halberd was doing more damage despite having the same output damage as the Abysss Great Sword.

That sword is good with 11 humanities but I'm not a big fan of it because I always feel I wasted these points in faith and int which doesn't have much sens.

Soulhouf

See, the no healing rule changes everything. One of two mistakes and you start over, and if you do what I do and go in with Red Tearstone, one mistake is fatal. This run is basically ENB rules made truly evil.

Given that the fight lasts around 30 minutes, I don't see myself doing it without healing at all, it would be impossible and not fun at all.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Given that the fight lasts around 30 minutes, I don't see myself doing it without healing at all, it would be impossible and not fun at all.

Also keep in mind I'm not allowed to use Red Tearstone (rings) for this run. So hopefully I can overcome the impossible.

So Smough and Orny...

On my first playthrough of this game (PS3) it took me days to beat them.

On PC? I just beat them on my second attempt! Praise the motherfucking sun!

Sullichin

Also keep in mind I'm not allowed to use Red Tearstone (rings) for this run. So hopefully I can overcome the impossible.

You are truly maschocistic for not allowing healing. I beat them in my sl6deprived run, naked with club +15, and it was still a huge pain in the ass and took many tries. There's too much randomness in the first half of the fight and it lasts too long to not permit healing.

ArynCrinn

Banned
You are truly maschocistic for not allowing healing. I beat them in my sl6deprived run, naked with club +15, and it was still a huge pain in the ass and took many tries. There's too much randomness in the first half of the fight and it lasts too long to not permit healing.

Maybe my Occult Club +4 will give me that extra edge, but really, compared to +15 it isn't much of a dmg boost without Red Tearstone...

For instance, I think a +15 Club R1 does 100 dmg to Ornstein, the Occult +4 does 174ish. So I don't even know. If I could separate them enough times and land a few R2's (maybe 4 or 5) and stagger Orns with a three shot combo once or twice, I might be able to do it. Once Ornstein is down I'll handle Smough hopefully easily.

Seance

Banned

I have like 80 humanity atm.
Abyss does something like 250+250
Halberd does about 350+150
Both 500.
Halberd does more damage by about 30% in every situation (riposte,r1,bs).

Of course.

For what I understood, he was comparing the output damage (base damage + scaling) when he said the BK Halberd was doing more damage despite having the same output damage as the Abysss Great Sword.

That sword is good with 11 humanities but I'm not a big fan of it because I always feel I wasted these points in faith and int which doesn't have much sens.

I'm playing as Artorias, cos he cool :3

On another note Dark Souls is unplayable at 30fps. Commence flaming.

Top Bottom