• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That was another player invading. You can't access bonfires when other players (good or bad) are in your world. There are NPC invaders in specific scripted events/areas, and they give unique weapon and armour drops, so look out for those if you want the goodies.

Yeah, you get low-level invaders that are dicks on purpose, you will catch up to them in terms of gear soon enough (unless they're hackers obviously) - If you don't like invasions, stay hollow except for when you want to kindle or summon co-op - You can still be summoned yourself for co-op whilst hollow.

But don't let these early OP invaders turn you off the online part of the game - it's a big part of the draw, co-op, invaders and invading yourself, it's all in good fun!
I think it was a red phantom because he was all black with red outline. Invading does not seem fun to me. At all. Don't create a quiet world with slow, deliberate progression to draw me in then suddenly interrupt it with online community bullshit (I never play games online because it is never pleasant)

Nonono.

See, didn't you get an overwhelming sense of dread when the invade message popped and latter despaired at your own weakness?

That's Dark Souls.
That would be okay if I didn't lose an hour of exploring new areas that are all twisty so I forgot which turns I even took/doors I opened and was going to use the bonfire as a center point to get my barrings and carefully scout things out. As I have said, it seems to me that it is the complete opposite of everything the game had built itself to be thus far. What was slowly becoming a fun concept with these newer, nicer environments is crushed by this mechanic. I don't even know if I want to go back to it since that really seemed like the only viable direction to go
(as opposed to forest of terrors, drakesville, or skeledeath lane)
I'm just playing Euro Truck Sim 2 now.

This Capra Demon fight....

"Let's put a big demon and his fast minions in a tiny walled room. That way, the camera can keep getting backed up against the wall so the player can't see anything when he's trying not to get surrounded."
"Don't forget to put pillars and a tree and shit for the camera to get stuck on also"
"Yes, this will be the best game ever. More paint thinners, anyone?"
Immediately run (actual run holding B) to forward and to the right holding your shield up and watching his striking. Try to roll out of the way of his swing but the idea is you'll be going to the stairs on the left immediately after passing him. You should be able to get up the stairs before any of them realize and have a couple seconds to put your shield down and get stamina back to kill the dogs which will be running up at you. The rapier sucked for them because they were too low. I think a scimitar would be perfect with it's overhead swings, but maybe a spear is a more direct downward stab that would hit them both at once if they are lined up.

Zeliard

Dice, try out some of the co-op. You can lay down summon signs (white soapstone) to be summoned into someone else's game and help them out, often against a boss. Or if you're struggling at a certain point and/or simply want to change things up, you can activate someone else's sign and have them come in (you need to be in human form to summon people, but you can be either human or hollow to be summoned into another game).

You may find it very enjoyable and rewarding to help others out. And if you happen to get invaded while teaming up with someone else, whether in their game or yours, then it'll 2v1 or even 3v1. :)

Bought on Steam during the sale, installed DSFix, huzzah. Having an issue with the game, however - it seems to be loading very low resolution versions of many textures, and most of the HUD and menus. See images below:

P7UNrlL.png

As the logo fades in, it looks fine:
PCou2Oj.png

But then:
K4allB4.png

The sword icon on the HUD, and the wonderful ground texture:
b2jRPIl.jpg

Any idea on how to fix this/what is wrong?

Edit: Managed to fix it. Some combination of restarting the computer, and changing some settings in the ATI Catalyst Control Center (Texture filtering quality -> High Quality, Mipmap Detail Level -> High Quality) solved the problem.

oracrest

I think it was a red phantom because he was all black with red outline. Invading does not seem fun to me. At all. Don't create a quiet world with slow, deliberate progression to draw me in then suddenly interrupt it with online community bullshit (I never play games online because it is never pleasant)

That would be okay if I didn't lose an hour of exploring new areas that are all twisty so I forgot which turns I even took/doors I opened and was going to use the bonfire as a center point to get my barrings and carefully scout things out. As I have said, it seems to me that it is the complete opposite of everything the game had built itself to be thus far. What was slowly becoming a fun concept with these newer, nicer environments is crushed by this mechanic. I don't even know if I want to go back to it since that really seemed like the only viable direction to go
(as opposed to forest of terrors, drakesville, or skeledeath lane)
I'm just playing Euro Truck Sim 2 now.

There are two kinds of black phantoms (both are red in color)

One is other players invading your game while you are in human form. Human form is also the only mode in which you can summon other players to help you out. So if you want to play without the risk of getting invaded, just play as hollowed (undead.) Leaving yourself open to be invaded is entirely in your control if you don't like it. But, I encourage you to try summoning other in, and putting your own sign down to be summoned. (There are no penalties to helping another player out, you don't lose anything.)

Those times you are human, such as after kindling a fire, just take it for what it's worth. Be aware that other players might invade.

My best advice for playing into unknown parts of the game is to not worry about "losing" anything while you are exploring a new area. If you have a lot of souls, go back and use them, then advance ahead. I generally play in two ways. I am leveling up to get more powerful, or I am exploring new areas. When I am exploring new areas, I don't worry about losing souls. If you really want to, you can farm any number of areas in the game for a little bit to be able to gain another level. 99% percent of the time, "all those souls" only feels like a lot because you are exploring a lot between killing things. It's not hard to get back a large number of souls in a short amount of time. The experience and increased familiarity of a new area is the most valuable thing, and you haven't lost that when you die.

edit: the other type of black phantoms are AI enemies, more difficult versions when another player has cursed your game, and caused these more powerful enemies to be there. You may have noticed "dangers are gone now that the gravelord servant is dead" or something to that effect while playing. This is tied to that system. And some other player just invaded the gravelord player's game and killed him, lifting his curse.

Can somebody help me with this boss. I think my level is in the 60's and I still can't beat him. I'm pretty far in the game and the boss I'm talking about is
Smough and Ornstein
. I've looked up several strategy videos but I still can't beat him. every strategy video the person is a thief or Wanderer so they're moving fast and doing backflips with a katana or bow, when I'm a warrior wielding a Man-Serpent Sword that has pretty heavy armor on.

Also since my strength and vitality is very high, my dexterity I haven't leveled up ever since the start of the game.

Anybody got tips for a pretty heavy strength build warrior up against these guys.

Dice

I don't care about souls. I can get 3000 in 2 minutes. I care about all that area I have to try and figure out again, and I care that I was invaded right before lighting a fire I just spotted, not after. That is some bullshit. Anyone doing that is nothing but a douchebag and such douchebags are ubiquitous and the reason I never play games online. I have 16 hours in this game and the worst 30 seconds of it were the only 30 seconds involving another player. I don't want invasions and I don't want to team up, I just want to play the game I was investing into finding enjoyment from 99% of the time of my playing. It's not a pleasant surprise, it's not engaging, and the concept has zero appeal to me. Is there any way to play offline or am I screwed out of that because of GFWL?

CmdBash

I don't care about souls. I can get 3000 in 2 minutes. I care about all that area I have to try and figure out again, and I care that I was invaded right before lighting a fire I just spotted, not after. That is some bullshit. Anyone doing that is nothing but a douchebag and such douchebags are ubiquitous and the reason I never play games online. I have 16 hours in this game and the worst 30 seconds of it were the only 30 seconds involving another player. I don't want invasions and I don't want to team up, I just want to play the game I was investing into finding enjoyment from 99% of the time of my playing. It's not a pleasant surprise, it's not engaging, and the concept has zero appeal to me. Is there any way to play offline or am I screwed out of that because of GFWL?

yeah just don't sign in at the start and it boots you to offline mode.

Dice

Aaaand now I'm cursed. This fucking game [negative tone]....

I beat that sewer dragon thing, and then the giant rat while cursed. I got curse simply trying to find out where in the hell the sewers go, which I probably won't since I completely forget how to get through the convoluted mess to wherever I was headed, so there goes that agenda. Trying to find a cure I went to the place with ghosts since I didn't feel like running to farm knights for 6000 souls to buy a purging stone, but the ghosts dazed me or something for an easy kill and I don't really want to run through there over and over till I figure out where the guy who sells the purging stone it. I'm very annoyed by this and that's when I even know what the fuck is going on, which I wouldn't if I didn't check a wiki after getting cursed.

The game just likes to fuck you and any fun you were having in new mysterious ways that aren't explained at all. I mean, all this shit isn't stopping me from making "progress" as I apparently have a key to Blighttown but found the back way first. I've also collected various shards, chunks, rings, etc. I don't give a shit though because the prospect of getting fucked in more new ways isn't fun to me. I'm not talking about dying, but the way it gets in the way of absolutely everything you want to do, just doing whatever it can to make it cease being enjoyable. Like this curse thing, I don't even want to fuck with it in this state. It's nothing but an annoyance. It isn't challenge, it's just an obstacle, something that immediately becomes the only agenda and makes solving it an utter chore, a fun-killer.

Dice

Seriously this game is designed to get in the way of any enjoyment you could possibly find in it. Why does anyone think that's a good thing? Exploring ignorance with cheap mechanics isn't challenge. Spending hours on end working through the simple yet tedious requirements to get around it is not accomplishment. It's chores. Once you know, you know, and it's obvious and easy but slow and annoying. That isn't challenge.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This game is obviously not for you, but we are not heaping praise and replaying constantly and making SL1 runs because of its lack of fun, let me guarantee you that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can somebody help me with this boss. I think my level is in the 60's and I still can't beat him. I'm pretty far in the game and the boss I'm talking about is
Smough and Ornstein
I can help, if it's PC. But I'm not sure how to arrange coop on PC. It uses the GFWL gamertag, right? Mine is MorriganStark.

Soriku

Seriously this game is designed to get in the way of any enjoyment you could possibly find in it. Why does anyone think that's a good thing? Exploring ignorance with cheap mechanics isn't challenge. Spending hours on end working through the simple yet tedious requirements to get around it is not accomplishment. It's chores. Once you know, you know, and it's obvious and easy but slow and annoying. That isn't challenge.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrBETXGeWtA

Never have to worry about getting cursed again with that ring. 400% curse resistance.

rando14

lol I was getting my ass kicked repeatedly by Capra Demon

so I decided to try that coop where you summon a dude. Did that, apparently this guy was ridiculously strong because he killed the capra demon in like 10 seconds without taking any damage :|

Oh well I guess that's that. on to the depths ....

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol I was getting my ass kicked repeatedly by Capra Demon

so I decided to try that coop where you summon a dude. Did that, apparently this guy was ridiculously strong because he killed the capra demon in like 10 seconds without taking any damage :|
See that's why I think everyone should solo their first playthrough. Coop can actually ruin a game.

Mogwai

See that's why I think everyone should solo their first playthrough. Coop can actually ruin a game.
I think it's fair that people coop their first playthrough. If they want to replay the game and create a challenge then go solo. DaS is not meant to carry the player, but using coop isn't any exploit. It's naive to think the average player is motivated to spent countless hours in order to solo the game on their first run. That's what so great about the game and its difficulty due to the dynamics of the game mechanics. I agree that overpowered phantoms is a bummer. The game leaves the player to decide whether they want to cheese it out (and fool themselves) in order to beat the game.

There are many opinions on the "true" Dark Souls experience and I respect your stance. I guess my approach is a bit more casual or forgiving.

phoenixyz

I also bought this on Steam Sale. I played around 3 hours now and didn't really progress at all. I had to try this Black Knight in the Undead Burg for about 10 times before I finally got him and after that I needed a break.
Any tips for a noob just starting out? Is it correct that one can use pretty much any weapon until endgame because of upgrades?

Okay guys. I am going to give it a go after purchasing it last week but only having played it for an hour because of the hot weather here in Holland the last couple of days.

Debating on whether I should pick Warrior or Knight since the starting 100% physical block shield is on both of them.

I absolutely hate magic in any game so count me out of those classes.

Mogwai

I also bought this on Steam Sale. I played around 3 hours now and didn't really progress at all. I had to try this Black Knight in the Undead Burg for about 10 times before I finally got him and after that I needed a break.
Any tips for a noob just starting out? Is it correct that one can use pretty much any weapon until endgame because of upgrades?

Learn to parry and backstab and you'll tear through the enemies relatively quick. Most weapons can be upgraded into something decent. Even a longsword +15 is a viable option for later in the game. Without stats though, I'd recommend getting a lightning upgraded weapon. Most important though, make sure you like the move set of the weapon you intent to use. Damage isn't everything.

Okay guys. I am going to give it a go after purchasing it last week but only having played it for an hour because of the hot weather here in Holland the last couple of days.

Debating on whether I should pick Warrior or Knight since the starting 100% physical block shield is on both of them.

With 10-12 Str you have a good amount of 100-phys block options. It's easy to dump a few points to obtain that even if you start with the thief. The heater shield has the crazy low requirement of 8 Str and 2.0 weight and can be bought early in the game. The knight has some great survivability for starters. Due to the gear the knight is less agile than a warrior. So pick according to your preferred style.

Sullichin

Your posts are really entertaining.
I'm not going to bother justifying anything about the game, if you don't like it you don't like it. Even when I was new and getting cursed and pissed off and killed by invaders, I was having fun.

Stuff about getting cursed
The undead female merchant in the aquaduct sells purging stones, so there's no need to go into New Londo just yet.

Now you know the frog dudes curse you, next time you deal with them use armour with some curse resistance.

I agree your posts are entertaining, but I think you're looking to be pissed off at the game, like every new area is stacking up enough reasons to drop the game. It is challenging, but there is always a solution and it's usually simply being aware of your surroundings and not rushing through or even just switching out a piece of equipment for a better advantage (shields for example all have different resistance attributes) - tip for Blighttown - if you didn't pick up the Spider shield in the Depths, have a look for it before going into Blightown, it will help a great deal.

A trip back to Andre to +6 (at least) your weapon and the forest for some moss clumps will also help. Once the Blacksmith has ascended your weapon past +5 you can take it all the way to +10 at a bonfire, and there are farmable enemies in both the Depths and Blighttown that drop large titanite.

Take it easy, it's challenging but 99% of the game is not vindictive or cruel, play smart not hard.

Oh and if you need souls the easiest way is co-op - I know you said you didn't like the online part of the game, but there are no drawbacks to co-oping FOR other people - you can stay hollow which means you won't be invaded in your own world, you get practice at bosses and areas and you get a huge stack of souls and a humanity for every boss you kill in co-op. Often it only takes a few minutes, Gaping Dragon in the Depths gives 12,500 souls IIRC - not bad for 5/10 minutes play.

Talents

Banned
So I've been invaded quite a few times in Anor Londo and every one seems to use magic. Is magic useful for PvP because I plan to be PvPing quite a lot later on.

Leads me to another question, I feel like I am over levelled for the part of the game I am on, I am in Anor Londo and am level 74, am I?

A bit overleveled, but you should still be able to find help/get summoned
Some spells are great/overpowered in PVP, and pyromancy can also be very good. Pure melee can also be great too.

Thanks for the advice.

Sullichin

So I've been invaded quite a few times in Anor Londo and every one seems to use magic. Is magic useful for PvP because I plan to be PvPing quite a lot later on.

Leads me to another question, I feel like I am over levelled for the part of the game I am on, I am in Anor Londo and am level 74, am I?

A bit overleveled, but you should still be able to find help/get summoned
Some spells are great/overpowered in PVP, and pyromancy can also be very good. Pure melee can also be great too.

I would recommend the warrior because imo the Longsword it starts with is a much better weapon than the Broadsword that the knight starts with. It's actually one of the better PVP weapons when fully upgraded.

For weapons you can use literally any weapon in the game upgraded and be successful. I would recommend for you to avoid the Drake Sword which people might recommend, and similar weapons that don't scale with stats (there will be no letters in the "AddedParam" part of the stats screen for that weapon).

For beginners (and in general it's my favourite class to play as) I would recommend a "quality" build. Use weapons like the Longsword, Claymore, Halberd (the Claymore is probably my favourite) upgraded normally, and when leveling split points between dex and str until they're both 40 (beyond this point the rate at which they affect damage is much reduced), while putting plenty of points into Endurance and Vitality.

Quality builds are good because they do great damage, and they have weapons with very versatile movesets. If you can master the Longsword/Claymore/Halberd (I would pick two, going with Claymore/Halberd but it's all preference) and learn how to take advantage of the subtle differences between them - the Longsword has a great two hand R2 attack for approaching enemies, the Claymore can break the guard of smaller enemies and will stagger most non-boss enemies, the Halberd does great damage with a fast R1 attack if you connect on your attacks and has great reach - you will understand the combat system in Dark Souls very well.

LuffyZoro

When I try to play, the game appears in the top left quadrant of the screen with messed up controls. Is this a known problem? How can I fix it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol, would have loved to see Dice's reaction when curse effects used to stack.
It doesn't anymore? That's a shame, I thought that was so lol. I never got double-cursed, and I've only ever been cursed once, but when I heard about that I laughed so hard at From's trolling. Pity if they removed it.

The undead female merchant in the aquaduct sells purging stones, so there's no need to go into New Londo just yet.
He said he didn't want to "farm 6000 souls" to buy it... which he doesn't need to, since Oswald in the Parish's bell tower sells 'em for 3000 instead, and 3k souls is pathetically easy to acquire if you really need them. He's just gonna bitch about that as well though, mark my words. ;)

Dice

He said he didn't want to "farm 6000 souls" to buy it... which he doesn't need to, since Oswald in the Parish's bell tower sells 'em for 3000 instead, and 3k souls is pathetically easy to acquire if you really need them. He's just gonna bitch about that as well though, mark my words. ;)
He left the bell tower and came down to the main area, unless this guy who looks exactly like him and not selling stones is a different guy, or if he teleports and only sells stones from the bell tower.

Booshka

He left the bell tower and came down to the main area, unless this guy who looks exactly like him and not selling stones is a different guy, or if he teleports and only sells stones from the bell tower.

You are looking for a guy in a Black Robe, who stays in the Belltower the whole game. Go back up to where you beat the gargoyle boss to the belltower entrance and he will be standing right there.

Talents

Banned
What's the best Helmet in your opinion that weighs less than 7? I was using the Stone Helm but because you can't upgrade it I'm thinking of changing. Help would be appreciated.

Booshka

I'm watching this speedrun stream, which is going terribly for technical and failure reasons, and I'm thinking "no"

That's not a typical speedrun, this one includes online and they are using goofy gear. All speedrun streams are filled with random failure and mistakes, regardless of the game. But, when you finally get a great run, it looks amazing, Dark Souls is no exception. Look up Santzo84 and his speedruns, he has the World Record in two categories.

You probably don't care, but you shouldn't be watching speedruns right now anyway, it ruins a lot of the discovery of the game for you, and it looks trivial in a speedrun so it's even worse to watch when you are just starting off playing the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's the best Helmet in your opinion that weighs less than 7? I was using the Stone Helm but because you can't upgrade it I'm thinking of changing. Help would be appreciated.
Probably the Giant helm. Paladin, Eastern, Brass and Favor helm are also decent and look cool.

Dice

You probably don't care, but you shouldn't be watching speedruns right now anyway, it ruins a lot of the discovery of the game for you, and it looks trivial in a speedrun so it's even worse to watch when you are just starting off playing the game.
I have a philosophy about all media that has never failed me. It's that truly good things are still as good if not better when they are known. I won't be playing anyway.

Booshka

I have a philosophy about all media that has never failed me. It's that truly good things are still as good if not better when they are known. I won't be playing anyway.

Well it was fun to read your meltdowns and rage nonetheless, peace.

I can help, if it's PC. But I'm not sure how to arrange coop on PC. It uses the GFWL gamertag, right? Mine is MorriganStark.

Thanks for the offer, but I finally did it after a few hours of retry's. It turns out that the reason I've been dying is because I kept going against them alone and didn't use a summon sign. I barely use humanity in this game because of the invasions (I really hate when people with horrendously good armor invade me, especially when they backstab me while I'm fighting an enemy), but when I finally did I summoned some guy for help and I easily killed them.

I also reduced my armor weight so I could roll faster which helped a ton. Now I'm just looking for weapons to get instead of this Man-Serpent Sword for a strength build because I hate how slow it is.

Booshka

Thanks for the offer, but I finally did it after a few hours of retry's. It turns out that the reason I've been dying is because I kept going against them alone and didn't use a summon sign. I barely use humanity in this game because of the invasions (I really hate when people with horrendously good armor invade me, especially when they backstab me while I'm fighting an enemy), but when I finally did I summoned some guy for help and I easily killed them.

I also reduced my armor weight so I could roll faster which helped a ton. Now I'm just looking for weapons to get instead of this Man-Serpent Sword for a strength build because I hate how slow it is.

Almost all of the good strength weapons are as slow or slower than the Man-Serpent Greatsword. The whole point is that they hit hard and stagger enemies, being slow and heavy is part of the balance. You should be two handing STR weapons most of the time for best results.

You would probably like the Black Knight Greataxe for a faster weapon, but you need 18 dex to wield it and it's tough to get unless you farm for it at the end of the game.

Almost all of the good strength weapons are as slow or slower than the Man-Serpent Greatsword. The whole point is that they hit hard and stagger enemies, being slow and heavy is part of the balance. You should be two handing STR weapons most of the time for best results.

You would probably like the Black Knight Greataxe for a faster weapon, but you need 18 dex to wield it and it's tough to get unless you farm for it at the end of the game.

When I was roaming around killing all the Black Knight's with my new gold serpent ring looking for a black knight greatsword, I got a black knight greataxe instead. I was pretty mad that i didn't get the greatsword but if the axe is better then I'll take that over the MSS. Especially if it's faster.

Booshka

When I was roaming around killing all the Black Knight's with my new gold serpent ring looking for a black knight greatsword, I got a black knight greataxe instead. I was pretty mad that i didn't get the greatsword but if the axe is better then I'll take that over the MSS. Especially if it's faster.

Yea it's a good weapon, it's heavy though, so be prepared for that. Be sure to mix it up with 2 hand attacks and 1 hand attacks, as you should be doing with Strength weapons anyway.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The bkgaxe is a monster, do keep it. I was lucky and got the drop from the knight in the Catacombs, so I replaced my bk straight sword with it and adjusted my armour to keep the mid-roll (not enough endurance for fast-roll especially since I do like to keep a shield around, but aiming at a mid-roll lets me get some poise and be mobile enough). Then I upgraded it to +5 with all the twinkling I had gotten from the crow trades and the crystal lizards so far and.... geez, no wonder it has those requirements and little scaling, it's ridiculous haha. Was one-shotting everything for a while. And unlike the clunky zweihander, it's pretty damn fast-swinging too.

...Yet my vit is still low cause I almost only leveled up str and dex, so I'm kind of a glass canon. It's fun though, different playstyle than what I'm used to. And I still managed to get killed (twice!) by the damn raven creatures in the Painted World, haha.

Invading should not exist. It's for douchey scumbags who gank people in the back or pick on players who don't have PvP gear. You put griefing in a singleplayer game, really?

Booshka

Invading should not exist. It's for douchey scumbags who gank people in the back or pick on players who don't have PvP gear. You put griefing in a singleplayer game, really?

They put griefing in a co op game actually. If you don't ever want to be invaded, stay hollow. If you resort to summoning help, be prepared to face kitted out, min/maxed motherfuckers to ruin your day.

Dark Souls PvP is really fun, so even though most players rage at the Invaders, dueling or fighting groups of real players is really fun.

I sympathize with players that just want to progress through the normal game unmolested, but you can do that pretty easily. It's only if you want to summon help and make areas easier where invaders can ruin your day.

rando14

Whew!! Got a lot accomplished today. Went all the way through
blight town
, rang the second bell, now it's off to
sen's fortress

and I was able to upgrade my halberd up to a raw halberd :cool:

today was a good day

Question for this part of the game:
so i went back to firelink shrine but apparently the lady died and now I can't save there, and there's also a huge monster there now :| do I have to defeat the monster (looks tough lol) to get access back? or something else?

Booshka

Whew!! Got a lot accomplished today. Went all the way through
blight town
, rang the second bell, now it's off to
sen's fortress

and I was able to upgrade my halberd up to a raw halberd :cool:

today was a good day

Question for this part of the game:
so i went back to firelink shrine but apparently the lady died and now I can't save there, and there's also a huge monster there now :| do I have to defeat the monster (looks tough lol) to get access back? or something else?
Monster is an NPC that you can safely interact with, the Bonfire being out is part of a story beat that can be resolved in the area after Sen's Fortress.

I also suggest not upgrading your Halberd to Raw, it has short term gains, but +6-+10 is better for the long term because it leads into higher levels of reinforcement. Raw hard caps at +5 and nerfs a weapons stat scaling for the sake of higher non scaling damage. So, if you can, revert to +5, then upgrade to +6 instead of Raw, then go from there to +10.

rando14

Monster is an NPC that you can safely interact with, the Bonfire being out is part of a story beat that can be resolved in the area after Sen's Fortress.

I also suggest not upgrading your Halberd to Raw, it has short term gains, but +6-+10 is better for the long term because it leads into higher levels of reinforcement. Raw hard caps at +5 and nerfs a weapons stat scaling for the sake of higher non scaling damage. So, if you can, revert to +5, then upgrade to +6 instead of Raw, then go from there to +10.

Thanks for that! Also thanks for the info on the Halberd, I'll go back to 5 and then then up to 10 as able :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well it was fun to read your meltdowns and rage nonetheless, peace.
Indeed, his tears are delicious.

Made it to the DLC on my new PC character (non-DLC stuff remaining are only Sif and 4 Kings, kept those for last cause... you know...
wanted to see sad Sif and break my heart again ;_;
). I swore I wouldn't let Bed of Chaos kill me again this time, I even used the reload trick, but I can never dodge that stupid branch sweep consistently.... ;_; I hate that boss so much. I'd have done it first to get rid of it, but I wanted to do the Siegmeyer quest so I needed to visit Duke's Archives. My third slab, and I'll get a fourth in the DLC, woohoo. Not to decide what to spend 'em on... xD

Top Bottom