• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Serra

Will the bridge wyvern return after he flies off? I think I fucked up by crossing the bridge before shooting his tail off for the Drake sword, and now he's fucked off who knows where. I think I still hear him breathing from the bridge, but there's no sign of him. I really want that sword.

Forget about the sword (unless you are a collector or something), it can really handicap new players when they get a bit farther ahead.

SparkTR

Steam stats past 24 hours
Current Peak
9,098 10,319 Dark Souls

Not bad. Doesn't look like it's a massive seller but it sold strongly.

Apparently the sales ballpark is peak players x8-10 for Steam purchases, along with retail a good estimate would be between 100-200k sold in the first day. Alan Wake peaked at 4000 concurrent Steam users and that was a success for Remedy, so I imagine they'll be pleased with this.

Who sells the non-Steam version? Just EU box copies?

All boxed copies are non-Steam, but the UK copies can be activated on Steam with the CD key apparently.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hmmm... it looks like they fixed the other exploit I was talking about, so I wouldn't be surprised if they fixed that too. His attack now passes through the ground, and he attacks multiple times.

Edit: Now, it's working. What the hell is going on with this game?

Neither of the usual techniques for beating him are exploits.
He's always been able to hit you in the alcove if you mess up your positioning, the shape of the passage just makes it easy to know exactly where his attacks are coming from so you can dodge them and get your licks in.

The insta-kill way is clearly intended. He has a whole set of custom animations just for clinging to the broken masonry and falling into the pit.

legacyzero

Banned
NONONONONONONONONONOOOOOO. WHAT DO I DO?!

ibrsHpx90hutoG.jpg

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
This thread makes me so happy that so many people are experiencing Dark Souls for the first time. So addicting to read! Highlighting spoilers is so dangerous, too. It's like I'm playing a meta-Dark Souls.

If it's your first time there, rush him with your shield up and head for the alcove on the right. If you survive the first blast, you should be fine. Then walk down the stairs and kick down the ladder to the bonfire. After that, return up top, let him roast the hollows and then run past him when he comes down looking for you.

FtHTiny

Okay, i think they buffed droprates or something.
Got the ogre club, skeleton wheel shield, channelers trident and so on without farming.

Raxus

Okay, i think they buffed droprates or something.
Got the ogre club, skeleton wheel shield, channelers trident and so on without farming.

Yea finding humanity from rats seems a little easier too. Like a 10-20% drop rate.
I rang the second bell
and I am around level 30 and nobody is summoning me. I think I may have gone through too fast.

Razek

Banned
turn back and go down the stairs to the right, i think, im not exactly a pro lol

I gave it a try on my second run after dying because it looked like a bonfire was past him, so I thought the game was teasing me that I could make it just so I could get a chance to save.

Didn't make it.

Will the bridge wyvern return after he flies off? I think I fucked up by crossing the bridge before shooting his tail off for the Drake sword, and now he's fucked off who knows where. I think I still hear him breathing from the bridge, but there's no sign of him. I really want that sword.

Yea he comes back. I just did the same thing with my PS3 copy so I don't think they changed it.

Truant

Just fired up the 360 version to compare the visuals after I installed the resolution mod. Oh man, I wish we could get the :lol: smiley back.

Igo

Forget about the sword (unless you are a collector or something), it can really handicap new players when they get a bit farther ahead.
What swords should I be looking at? My game is pretty much all backstabs and ripostes. The bandit sword does good damage with backstabs but is shit at everything else. I thought the Drake sword would be a step up until I could find something better.

RedSwirl

Current Peak
9,098 10,319 Dark Souls

If it turns out like any relatively niche game on PC it'll sell at a steady pace for a while, then BOOM - Steam sale cash.

Zzoram

What swords should I be looking at? My game is pretty much all backstabs and ripostes. The bandit sword does good damage with backstabs but is shit at everything else. I thought the Drake sword would be a step up until I could find something better.

In order of backstab goodness

1) Rapier (hidden bonus)
2) Bandit's Knife
3) Estoc (hidden bonus)

The Bandit's Knife isn't really good outside of backstabs though, the Rapier is also the best for riposte damage, but the Estoc is best for regular combat. All of them are pretty close for backstab damage.

Rapier and Estoc can attack while your shield is up and have better range than the Bandit's Knife. Estoc has the best range/normal damage of the 3 options so for enemies you can't riposte/backstab, the Estoc is better.

Razek

Banned
If it turns out like any relatively niche game on PC it'll sell at a steady pace for a while, then BOOM - Steam sale cash.

The only reason I want this to sell at all is because of Durante so more people have a chance to experience his awesome mod and donate to him. Getting to play a good game on top of that was just the bonus.

Sentenza

Current Peak
9,098 10,319 Dark Souls

10,000 concurrent users should mean *roughly* 100,000 Steamworks-enabled copies sold in the first day. Not groundbreaking but better than I expected, given the bad reputation of this port.

Tess3ract

Banned
Man I wish they allowed modding. Some things I'd fix after playing for 3 hours:

- Remove only saving at bonfires
- quicksave
- remove respawning enemies after using bonfire
- add a fucking jump button
- remove having to find your souls after death
- cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance

and before you ask, I'm not trolling or joking. I couldn't be more serious.

Zzoram

- quicksave

So make the game for pussies? No thanks.

You can already save anywhere, the menu option to exit also saves. You only can't save in the middle of a boss fight.

EasyMode

- quicksave

The game doesn't just save at bonfires, it saves whenever you do anything. Use an item, kill an enemy, open a door... you get the idea.

Serra

- quicksave

Im gonna go ahead and say that Dark Souls isn't for you. Every single one of those changes would make the game worse.

Frank

- quicksave

That's absolutely fine. But what you want it's the thin soup version of Dark Souls. You'd be only trolling yourself if you finished the game like that.

Revoh

What an absolutely awesome game.
Been stuck the past 2 hours trying to advance the part after you meet the blacksmith...
I didn't know where to go, I was at that part where you fight the 2 gargoyles, you can also choose to go the the forest and the catacombs I think.
After dying in pretty much every place I decided to fight the 2 gargoyles. Almost used all my consumables items but after 10 or so tries I beat them.
Feels good man.
I'm playing without a guide or wiki as some of you should :p

Tess3ract

Banned
I thought about it, and basically I want Dark Souls with Gothic/Two Worlds/Risen gameplay instead.

I'm a sadist, not a masochist. These elements just add frustration and unnecessary risk/reward paradigms that suck cock like a cheap hooker.

I got up to the second level and tried to get past the dragon (attacking him with a bow pisses him off, that's a nice touch lol) and attack him headon. I didn't go to any of the nearer bonfires because I didn't want the enemies to respawn, they should stay dead.

It sent me to the starting bonfire, and My will to continue is evaporated. Maybe I'll play more later when I'm not pissed.

Sullichin

- quicksave

Nah at least beat the game as intended first. Even though you said it's not these changes you want still read like a joke.

Zzoram

I thought about it, and basically I want Dark Souls with Gothic/Two Worlds/Risen gameplay instead.

I'm a sadist, not a masochist. These elements just add frustration and unnecessary risk/reward paradigms that suck cock like a cheap hooker.

I got up to the second level and tried to get past the dragon (attacking him with a bow pisses him off, that's a nice touch lol) and attack him headon. I didn't go to any of the nearer bonfires because I didn't want the enemies to respawn, they should stay dead.

The whole point of this game is becoming more skilled and feeling a sense of accomplishment for overcoming a challenge. Making the game stupidly easy like most games nowadays will remove the highs of accomplishment you would feel from beating a more challenging game.

There are guys who have beaten Dark Souls without ever leveling up. Those guys must feel like gods.

My will to continue is evaporated. Maybe I'll play more later when I'm not pissed.

Yeah, you don't want to play this game.

EasyMode

What an absolutely awesome game.
Been stuck the past 2 hours trying to advance the part after you meet the blacksmith...
I didn't know where to go, I was at that part where you fight the 2 gargoyles, you can also choose to go the the forest and the catacombs I think.
After dying in pretty much every place I decided to fight the 2 gargoyles. Almost used all my consumables items but after 10 or so tries I beat them.
Feels good man.
I'm playing without a guide or wiki as some of you should :p

Remember the bridge with
the red dragon? There's a locked door there you should have the key to now.

So make the game for pussies? No thanks.

You can already save anywhere, the menu option to exit also saves. You only can't save in the middle of a boss fight.

You can also already jump. Hold down run for a few seconds then tap it again. You actually need it to get it a few areas.

Basically he wants a game that is easier and woth no consequences when you fuck up. That would indeed ruin Dark Souls.

Darksouls is a game that demands your attention amd builds off the tension of trying to get back to your souls when you fuck up and the stakes increase the more souls you have. It is no exageration to say removing that tension would ruin a lot about what makes the game special.

This is not a zone out game you play while getting hammered or stoned and just mash buttons. Every other game lets you do that. This is a game about concentration, precision,strategy, tension, frustration, and rewarding sense of accomplishment.

mxgt

Banned

Uh, the game saves pretty much all the time

- quicksave

Would make the game trivial, so no. Why bother learning when you can just instantly retry after making a mistake?

What would this achieve? enemies = souls, souls = needed to do basically anything in the game

Hold B to sprint, press B again. You jumped. Neat, huh

Please don't punish me for dying!

cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance

Yes let's make the game trivial, what a great idea.

Go play something else where you can just mash buttons and don't have to think, sounds like it'd be better for you

Danielsan

- quicksave

Sorry to hear that you don't like great game design.

- quicksave

1330796491822.gif

Play other games. Souls is for a niche crowd who prefer difficult and gritty games.

PS. The game saves everytime you do anything like taking damage, moving or picking up objects. It's done so that people won't abuse it like save states (see stealing in Skyrim).

Tess3ract

Banned
The whole point of this game is becoming more skilled and feeling a sense of accomplishment for overcoming a challenge. Making the game stupidly easy like most games nowadays will remove the highs of accomplishment you would feel from beating a more challenging game.

There are guys who have beaten Dark Souls without ever leveling up. Those guys must feel like gods.

A challenge for me is simply beating a game in the first place. This just gets in the way.

I dont really care about other people feeling good about walking over hot coals.

Yeah, you don't want to play this game.

Well first off, he should leave that dragon the fuck alone. Dont come back to him for many hours until you are way stronger.

Also you'll find a ladder right before the dragon that you can kick down to get you right back to the dragon via shortcut from an earlier bondfire.

EasyMode

It sent me to the starting bonfire, and My will to continue is evaporated. Maybe I'll play more later when I'm not pissed.

Ah, I can see how that would get you down. That part is pretty harsh for newcomers. Thankfully you don't have to kill the dragon.
Run towards it and you'll find some stairs leading down on your right. You'll be able to kick down a ladder to create a shortcut to the previous bonfire, and you can safely continue without fighting the dragon.

Tess3ract

Banned
I mean I like everything about the game other than what I mentioned. There's no other game like it that does it like DS does. However the combat is just not what I want, at all. Which is why I made the earlier comparison of just slapping in Gothic style combat in it instead.

Ah, I can see how that would get you down. That part is pretty harsh for newcomers. Thankfully you don't have to kill the dragon.
Run towards it and you'll find some stairs leading down on your right. You'll be able to kick down a ladder to create a shortcut to the previous bonfire, and you can safely continue without fighting the dragon.
No, I saw that, and I also saw the oil on the ground.

This isn't about me being a bad player, this is me not wanting to DEAL with that kind of risk/reward mechanism. I wanted to kill the dragon, though I'm not mad about him killing me. That is fine. it's the other shit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tess3ract...you could just use a trainer and give yourself more stats if things get too hard for you.

Try to stick with it, though. The bridge where you saw the dragon...go down the middle of the bridge, and you'll be able to kick a ladder down to the last bonfire you saved at. You'll be creating a shortcut so you won't have to redo all of Undeadburg again.

Top Bottom