• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Tess3ract

Banned
Putting on infinite hp makes me like the game more. I can learn more easily and dynamically instead of being sent back to the start when I fuck up.

I told my friend and he's like "I'd find that boring" but I'm literally having fun now so :\

So finally found some time to play and got to the fortress relatively quickly. Had to rust up my skills. lol... shooting for post patch PvP build for the 360 when the DLC comes out. Now that DWGR is nerfed my build will be much more unique, but I do have to compensate quite a bit. :) Looking forward to it. High Speed, Heavy Armor, and Heavy Weapon Combos. So much fun. ;) Can't wait to run Great Scythe/DragonSlayer Bow as a main combo once again with high poise and under 25% weight.

Putting on infinite hp makes me like the game more. I can learn more easily and dynamically instead of being sent back to the start when I fuck up.

I told my friend and he's like "I'd find that boring" but I'm literally having fun now so :\

Eh, good that your having fun, but taking away the challenge just makes it seem rather unappealing.

Vorg

Banned

I told my friend and he's like "I'd find that boring" but I'm literally having fun now so :

Ugh. :/ Why bother with this game if you're gonna do this?

theta11

One of my main draws to the game is the satisfaction you get from killing enemies/bosses after failing repeatedly. Having Infinite HP means there is no punishment for failing and thus no reward. Not for me... =/

tengiants

I don't like twitch games like counter strike or whatever, but yes. I don't like casual shit, but I pretty much zone out when playing games. Maybe that doesn't make me the best player, but I'm pretty much not competitive in games. (unless I'm winning then I try to keep up but otherwise I don't give a crap)

Yeah I am not interested in any of that shit. It doesn't have to be god of war, it just has to be less...this.

I already feel like that in the second paragraph, but the very "oh you fell down? well I'm just gonna keep attacking you while you can't do anything, oh you died. Deal with it!" mentality doesn't jive with me. no fuck YOU dark souls! *breaks controller*

Sorry, but I don't think this game is for the current you. Dark Souls will build character though. Give up now or be willing to grow yourself with the game.

JVIDICAN

capra-killer/low level pyro build is pretty much done. If anyone wants to get past the guy effortlessly my sign is down by the gate. :p

Finalow

I played as a heavy warrior on ps3, ended the game with smough's armor. What should be my pc character? Is magic viable?
magic is great, also that amazing Moonlight Sword is there just for a magic build.

Before I start this (in 1-2 weeks)... are there missable weapons/quests/etc.? Is there NG+? How long does a single playthrough last?
there are missable stuff, you can play ng+,++,+++ etc. and everytime difficulty increases drastically.
dunno about how long, it really depens on how you play. on you tube you can find a guy that finished it in 1 hour or so.

Razek

Banned

I don't want to be a condescending jerk but why bother to play? Unless you are literally using it as a training mode, why not just run past everything now? What's really the point? Why not go do something more productive then?

I'm not defending this game or someone who's in love with it. I'm just curious as to what the point is if there is no reward at all. Just to sight-see?

Edit: Sorry I missed your chat. I was taking a bath.

Man I wish they allowed modding. Some things I'd fix after playing for 3 hours:

- Remove only saving at bonfires
- quicksave
- remove respawning enemies after using bonfire
- add a fucking jump button
- remove having to find your souls after death
- cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance

and before you ask, I'm not trolling or joking. I couldn't be more serious.

So, you want an "Easy" mode. Gotcha.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Before I start this (in 1-2 weeks)... are there missable weapons/quests/etc.? Is there NG+? How long does a single playthrough last?

Yes, there are missable weapons. It's actually impossible to get all the items in a single playthrough. There's New Game+, and you need to play it to collect everything.

The huge amount of optional stuff and the ability to tackle areas in different orders leads to a fairly wide disparity in how long a first playthrough takes, but my first time through the game took around 60 hours. Subsequent playthroughs take significantly less time due to knowing how the game world is laid out and knowing how to fight the various beasties. My personal fastest time is 3 hours 30 minutes for a complete beginning-to-end playthrough on a fresh character, and there are plenty of people faster than me.

You've got plenty of room to optimize your completion time, is what I'm saying.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol, well, I walked in on the first boss (the second encounter with him). I look down, see him and I'm like "NOPE, see ya" and turn around to walk way through the light and in this very moment this dick jumps on the ledge, crushes the platform I'm standing on and here I am, running around him like a headless chicken.

He's easy though, took almost half of his life on the first try.

there are missable stuff, you can play ng+,++,+++ etc. and everytime difficulty increases drastically.
dunno about how long, it really depens on how you play. on you tube you can find a guy that finished it in 1 hour or so.

NG+(+++...) sounds like something for masochists :lol

ixix said:
Yes, there are missable weapons. It's actually impossible to get all the items in a single playthrough. There's New Game+, and you need to play it to collect everything.

The huge amount of optional stuff and the ability to tackle areas in different orders leads to a fairly wide disparity in how long a first playthrough takes, but my first time through the game took around 60 hours. Subsequent playthroughs take significantly less time due to knowing how the game world is laid out and knowing how to fight the various beasties. My personal fastest time is 3 hours 30 minutes for a complete beginning-to-end playthrough on a fresh character, and there are plenty of people faster than me.

Hmm, I think I'll do the same I'm going to do for Dishonored and just play it by myself without looking anything up the first time.

Thanks guys

And there we go. I just crashed in the middle of a fight, start the game back up and now I'm falling through the world as soon as I spawn. How the heck do I fix this?

pa22word

Loving the game thus far. At the gardens atm, and o_o this game has some crazy monster design.

You don't constantly die from offscreen ranged attacks.

Never play ninja gaiden black before, I take it?

There's one enemy in the entire game who even has an offscreen projectile, and on normal you fight them a grand total of 3 or 4 times in the entire game.

theta11

And there we go. I just crashed in the middle of a fight, start the game back up and now I'm falling through the world as soon as I spawn. How the heck do I fix this?

I have had this bug in the console version (PS3) as well I think it fixes itself. (You lose all you souls and humanity though since your blood stain is in the void so to speak.)

Revoh

When you're in human form you can: Kindle bonfires, summon co-op partners, and be invaded. A hollow can't do any of that (which is a plus if you don't wanna be invaded). Kindling increases your Estus Flask count by 5.

The counter in the top-left represent humanity available to use. There's also an item called humanity which increases that counter when used.

The humanity count in the top left also increases drop rates for stuff.
push in right stick

So that's what that counter is all about.
Thanks for the explanation. I think I like the way Demon's Souls handled the death thing, when you die you turn into a soul, here is not like that, but it's cool either way

I don't want to be a condescending jerk but why bother to play? Unless you are literally using it as a training mode, why not just run past everything now? What's really the point? Why not go do something more productive then?

I'm not defending this game or someone who's in love with it. I'm just curious as to what the point is if there is no reward at all. Just to sight-see?

I'm with you. No point at all when you don't die. Absolutely a shame to see that so soon on here. I'm aware there are already hackers and trainers. If you absolutely have to do it or want to, just up your STR and VIT to the point you can one-shot everything.

Sullichin

No, you are not learning anything playing this with infinite hp
You gave up really early into the game too.

That's the saddest thing I've read on GAF in a long, long time.

tumblr_m6mhyxJaZT1rq5khqo1_500.jpg

I have had this bug in the console version (PS3) as well I think it fixes itself. (You lose all you souls and humanity though since your blood stain is in the void so to speak.)

When/How does it fix itself? I've restarted the game several times and it's the exact same every time I load.

Edit: Okay, I just died after waiting a while during the fall. Bye bye 26 Humanity I guess :(

Actually to get ALL of the weapons you need to hit NG++. Cuz you need three of Sif's soul for three different weapons and two of the end boss soul (meaning you've got to complete the game twice... lol). But yeah... just technicalities.;)

ixix

NG+(+++...) sounds like something for masochists :lol

It's really not all that bad. The transition from the regular game to NG+ is a significant step up, but it's actually easier than a first run in a lot of ways since you retain all your items and levels. Every subsequent + is a significantly smaller increase, to the point that you will likely notice no meaningful difference between NG+ and NG++, and after your seventh run the difficulty ceases to increment entirely and every successive playthrough is identical to the one that came before it in terms of difficulty.

It's actually a very nice system.

SparkTR

That's like playing Day Z without permadeath. I understand you're frustrated, but man do yourself a favor and stick with it .

Zzoram

Any boss with a tail, cut at it. Many of them can drop weapons from their tail. If you miss them, just get them in NG+ or NG++.

NG+ goes on infinitely, although it stops getting harder after NG+++++++.

Haha beat the
bell gargoyles

Somehow I was able to cut the first gaygole tail off allowing me to kill him before the second gargoyle arrived.

Man I wish they allowed modding. Some things I'd fix after playing for 3 hours:

- Remove only saving at bonfires
- quicksave
- remove respawning enemies after using bonfire
- add a fucking jump button
- remove having to find your souls after death
- cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance

and before you ask, I'm not trolling or joking. I couldn't be more serious.

You don't 'get' it do you? DS is a game designed in a perfect manner, everything is there for a reason. A jump button would be fucking useless. Quicksave would remove ALL of the tension and reward. The lack of respawn would turn Bonfires into a cheap exercise.

Ugh, I'll stop right here... if you just want to 'look' at the game without any of the soul and challenge, just watch a longplay on Youtube.

JVIDICAN

Make sure your staying offline if your using this shit. I don't want to be invading unkillable hack users, >:[ lol

ixix

Actually to get ALL of the weapons you need to hit NG++. Cuz you need three of Sif's soul for three different weapons and two of the end boss soul (meaning you've got to complete the game twice... lol).
But yeah... just technicalities.;)

Well, yes. But I was being intentionally vague to avoid spoilers.

It's really not all that bad. The transition from the regular game to NG+ is a significant step up, but it's actually easier than a first run in a lot of ways since you retain all your items and levels. Every subsequent + is a significantly smaller increase, to the point that you will likely notice no meaningful difference between NG+ and NG++, and after your seventh run the difficulty ceases to increment entirely and every successive playthrough is identical to the one that came before it in terms of difficulty.

That does sound nice. What do you think, is it a good idea to have a first playthrough without guides or GAF?

Any boss with a tail, cut at it. Many of them can drop weapons from their tail. If you miss them, just get them in NG+ or NG++.

NG+ goes on infinitely, although it stops getting harder after NG+++++++.

Ok, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.

Mzo

Yeah I am not interested in any of that shit. It doesn't have to be god of war, it just has to be less...this.
A million other games do that already. Leave the one series that provides this depth of gameplay alone for the people that can appreciate it.

ixix

That does sound nice. What do you think, is it a good idea to have a first playthrough without guides or GAF?

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for advice if you get stuck, but I wholeheartedly endorse avoiding walkthroughs and wikis your first time through the game. You only get one chance at going in blind, and you'll never have a playthrough where everything is new to you ever again. Best to make the most of it, I think. The way NG+ works there's no way you can screw yourself out of anything in perpetuity, so you needn't worry about irrevocably missing anything and just enjoy playing through all the stuff you can find under your own power. The internet ain't goin' anywhere, after all, it'll still be there when you're done to help you tie up loose ends.

Finalow

why you gotta ruin everything. :(
but yeah, you feel the dig difference between ng and ng+, then you won't notice much.

Top Bottom