• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Cramoss

Man I wish they allowed modding. Some things I'd fix after playing for 3 hours:

- Remove only saving at bonfires
- quicksave
- remove respawning enemies after using bonfire
- add a fucking jump button
- remove having to find your souls after death
- cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance

and before you ask, I'm not trolling or joking. I couldn't be more serious.

QiR10.gif

Teknoman

That jump slash on the tutorial boss (Undead Asylum) was probably missed by most if you werent able to read the messages due to the first DSfix patch.

Unless you guys were talking about the true first boss, then yeah, thats a good way to do it. Either that or stay close.

Above all else: DONT PANIC. I know its hard with the ferocity some of the enemies attack with...but just try your best lol.

Foffy

Banned
Okay, I'm a little confused here..
got to the new areas, and I'm stuck at Artorias. He's like Sif, but he's far more aggressive in battle. I saw another path, but I was greeted by a beautiful poem by From, only to be taken down by the red dragon. So, I'm curious here; did I miss an alternate path, or is the only way to go forward is to take down Mr. Abyss himself?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Chaos Pyromancy is still glitched. Just tried it out. Great Chaos Fireball with an unupgraded flame on the
egg carriers in the Demon Ruins
did 200 damage with 10 Humanity and 200 damage with 0 Humanity.

That's a bit disappointing. I didn't grab Power Within yet, but I assume it's still glitched too.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
got to the new areas, and I'm stuck at Artorias. He's like Sif, but he's far more aggressive in battle. I saw another path, but I was greeted by a beautiful poem by From, only to be taken down by the red dragon. So, I'm curious here; did I miss an alternate path, or is the only way to go forward is to take down Mr. Abyss himself?
Have to beat him as far as I know. I'm like on my 15th try lol. I think I'm getting close though, can consistently whittle him down to 30% HP and dodge all of his attacks. I just die when I make a mistake and he one-shots me in super saiyan mode.

IoCaster

Finally got a chance to start the game and...UGH!! How the hell did they screw up KB/M this badly? It almost seems intentional. I hate having to use a fucking controller. I don't mind it too much for an RPG like Last Remnant, but I was seriously hoping it wouldn't be this bad. Man it totally saps any interest in trying to play this game. Shit. :mad:

Teknoman

Finally got a chance to start the game and...UGH!! How the hell did they screw up KB/M this badly? It almost seems intentional. I hate having to use a fucking controller. I don't mind it too much for an RPG like Last Remnant, but I was seriously hoping it wouldn't be this bad. Man it totally saps any interest in trying to play this game. Shit. :mad:

To be fair, the game was built with a controller in mind, much like Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders.

Foffy

Banned
Have to beat him as far as I know. I'm like on my 15th try lol. I think I'm getting close though, can consistently whittle him down to 30% HP and dodge all of his attacks. I just die when I make a mistake and he one-shots me in super saiyan mode.

I tried to get him with a crystal halberd + Power Within + electric pine and that didn't do a whole lot on him. He seems to either have a hell of a lot of defense compared to the first boss there or I don't seem to have a good weapon that makes him lose lots of HP fast. I actually gasped when I was doing 300+ damage on the Sanctuary Guardian with just a claymore, so I guess Artorias is ready to kick my teeth in for that.

Do the later areas here get more diverse? I feel too much deja vu with the forest motif...

Grief.exe

How does pyromancy work? You get the glove and then you buy the spell. Do you equip the spell at a bonfire or in the inventory?

Do the number of charges get used up and you have to buy the spell again? Or do they get recharged at a bonfire.

How does pyromancy work? You get the glove and then you buy the spell. Do you equip the spell at a bonfire or in the inventory?

Do the number of charges get used up and you have to buy the spell again? Or do they get recharged at a bonfire.

You equip your spells at bonfires. Attunement Stat is used to get extra slots. You get your charges back every time you rest at a bonfire.

Foffy

Banned

You equip the glove whenever, the spells must be selected at the bonfire. The charges is just how many you can use before you have to go back to a bonfire, like Estus.

derwalde

is it usefull to get just as much faith so that i can use the great lightning spear? im not going for a faith build.

edit: nvm, i just saw it requires 30 (!) faith to throw

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

What might help you there is a shield with high Stability and/or good Stamina.
Pretty much all of his attacks can be blocked if you just lock on and keep your shield up. I was able to stop basically everything with only 10 Endurance with a fully-upgraded Silver Knight Shield and the Ring of Favor and Protection. All of his attacks are telegraphed, and after a while you should have no trouble predicting what he's winding up for.

And yeah, you need to beat that boss to proceed. I've been helping people with that fight in co-op quite a bit, and it seems to give a lot of people quite a bit of trouble.

Any pointers, GAF? :)

A really solid basic build is to pump your Strength to 16 and your Dexterity to 14, and then focus on Vitality and Endurance to get your survivability up. If you want to use spells you have three options: Sorcery, Miracles, and Pyromancy. If you want to use Sorcery you'll also want to pump Intelligence, if you want to use Miracles you'll pump Faith, and Pyromancy is almost totally stat-independent so if you want to use it you don't need to pump anything else.

I think that, in general, the 16/14 Str/Dex split paired with significant Vitality and Endurance investment is the best "I'm not entirely sure what I want to invest in" build because the 16 Strength and 14 Dexterity give you a huge selection of weapons to use with a bare minimum of investment and Vitality and Endurance are useful for absolutely any build, any character. When you hit something like 16/14/30/40 Str/Dex/Vit/End you've got a rock-solid character with a broad selection of available weaponry with plenty of stat points to invest before the level up cost starts getting crazy. It's still entirely possible to that that build all the way to 50 Int or Faith to become a hardcore spellcaster while still being survivable and a dab hand in a fight.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to get him with a crystal halberd + Power Within + electric pine and that didn't do a whole lot on him. He seems to either have a hell of a lot of defense compared to the first boss there or I don't seem to have a good weapon that makes him lose lots of HP fast. I actually gasped when I was doing 300+ damage on the Sanctuary Guardian with just a claymore, so I guess Artorias is ready to kick my teeth in for that.

Do the later areas here get more diverse? I feel too much deja vu with the forest motif...
He may have really high lightning defense. I'm using a +5 lightning claymore and doing about 77 damage per hit. Looks like he has around 4000 hp

And the forest is because
you travelled back in time to the same darkroot forest

IoCaster

To be fair, the game was built with a controller in mind, much like Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders.

Yes, I understand that, but with most games it's not this bad and I can usually tweak mouse sensitivity and remap keys to make it tolerable. I'm going to play around with it some more but the disconnect between mouse look and movement is causing me to miss two out of three swings of my axe. Not to mention the awfully twitchy and weird mouse sensitivity thing that's going on. It's a mess right now.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, I understand that, but with most games it's not this bad and I can usually tweak mouse sensitivity and remap keys to make it tolerable. I'm going to play around with it some more but the disconnect between mouse look and movement is causing me to miss two out of three swings of my axe. Not to mention the awfully twitchy and weird mouse sensitivity thing that's going on. It's a mess right now.
If it helps, you are supposed to lock on to about 95% of the enemies in PvE, with a few exceptions where it's easier to fight without locking on.

Foffy

Banned
What might help you there is a shield with high Stability and/or good Stamina.
Pretty much all of his attacks can be blocked if you just lock on and keep your shield up. I was able to stop basically everything with only 10 Endurance with a fully-upgraded Silver Knight Shield and the Ring of Favor and Protection. All of his attacks are telegraphed, and after a while you should have no trouble predicting what he's winding up for.

I see. I'm using the
Crest Shield and he is usually able to do damage to me when he does his spinning attack. When I roll he still hits me with that move, but it could be because I'm wearing the new Guardian Armor so I'm not that nimble.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
I'm done with the Darkroot Garden, should I proceed to the Tomb of Giants or New Londo? These are the only routes left I think.

Also, anyone want to spoil me where I get access to the new content?

- quicksave

This game and Demon's Souls are not for you. There are plenty of games out there for you. This game is for people who want to play a game that respects your intelligence and skill.

All of those "fixes" are actually all completely game breaking. Using the term "fix" for these awful suggestions is kind of embarrassing actually.

Foffy

Banned
I'm done with the Darkroot Garden, should I proceed to the Tomb of Giants or New Londo? These are the only routes left I think.

Also, anyone want to spoil me where I get access to the new content?

Did you clear the
Duke's Archives? You now have access to the new content...you just have to return with the Broken Pendant to where Dusk was trapped in the golden golem.

His armor has very high fire defense, so I'm assuming that works for him too. I did around 50 damage per hit with a +5 Fire weapon, but then came back with a +5 Black Knight Greatsword and did around 300, one-handed. Physical damage should be best here, I think.

Later areas are quite diverse, yes, but the last one is very much like
Tomb of the Giants
. The intermediate area is HUGE though, and very exciting to stumble around.

d0c_zaius

This game and Demon's Souls are not for you. There are plenty of games out there for you. This game is for people who want to play a game that respects your intelligence and skill.

All of those "fixes" are actually all completely game breaking. Using the term "fix" for these awful suggestions is kind of embarrassing actually.

yea I don't think he gets it.

quicksave and jump, lol.

how would you grind souls if they didn't respawn.

what would the point of stats and gear make if enemies didn't do serious damage?

what would be the point of fearing death if your progress wasn't tied to it somehow?

zelda this is not.

Grief.exe

- quicksave

There is no need for this game to be homogenized. Please, just go play another game, too many games now are dumbed down specifically for the lowest common denominator. Go play one of those, there are plenty for you to choose from.
Its refreshing to have a game like this, though I've only been playing for two days its been amazing.

Raide

There is no need for this game to be homogenized. Please, just go play another game, too many games now are dumbed down specifically for the lowest common denominator. Go play one of those, there are plenty for you to choose from.
Its refreshing to have a game like this, though I've only been playing for two days its been amazing.

This.

Hell, make Dark Souls harder. Make players work for those boss kills. Some of them are pretty easy when you nail down their movement and attack patterns.

Deadstar

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

Foffy

Banned
His armor has very high fire defense, so I'm assuming that works for him too. I did around 50 damage per hit with a +5 Fire weapon, but then came back with a +5 Black Knight Greatsword and
did around 300, one-handed.
Physical damage should be best here, I think.

Later areas are quite diverse, yes, but the last one is very much like
Tomb of the Giants
. The intermediate area is HUGE though, and very exciting to stumble around.

Jeeez! I think I was only able to do 300 with my setup with two hands..every other attack is at least 40-100. I figure the best tactic on this boss is to have something to chop his health down, not chip.

Sullichin

man I was so close, and then he one-shot me with the jumping attack on a bad dodge

Please don't openly post screens of the new areas, link to them

Really anything but early game stuff should be linked to. Plenty of new players. I'm not too sensitive to spoilers myself but it's better to see stuff firsthand.

RIP Eagle Shield :(
Looks like I'm going to have to re gear my character on the 360 if I decide to pick it back up at some point. Had the mask of the father and the eagle shield. Looked pretty badass with that mask, the black iron armour, and the black knight greataxe.

Grief.exe

This.

Hell, make Dark Souls harder. Make players work for those boss kills. Some of them are pretty easy when you nail down their movement and attack patterns.

I think what they should do is keep the main quest at the same difficulty, but make some side areas just absolutely brutal.
Make it for the truly hardcore players to test themselves.

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

Thanks.

I just got back from class, had some thai food. Its time for Dark Souls.

My goals for right now is to get the Spider Shield and then get a Pyromancer spells, then make my way into Blight Town.

Please don't openly post screens of the new areas, link to them

Really anything but early game stuff should be linked to. Plenty of new players. I'm not too sensitive to spoilers myself but it's better to see stuff firsthand.

Yes, I especially don't want the new content spoiled at all. They've already released quite a few shots of it I've used in the OT, that should be good for now.

arit

Forgot how hard the painted world was. I did not even want to go in there, but there was a message in front of the painting...

Did you clear the
Duke's Archives? You now have access to the new content...you just have to return with the Broken Pendant to where Dusk was trapped in the golden golem.

This spoiler just got me thinking about the pendant...
could choosing the pendant as a gift be the shortcut to accessing the content earlier?

Foffy

Banned
This spoiler just got me thinking about the pendant...
could choosing the pendant as a gift be the shortcut to accessing the content earlier?

Nope. It's an all new item, and it's a different pendant. I guess when Miyazaki mentioned a pendant had a meaning, and much of the Artorias content being cancelled material added into the game, he was hinting at something like this the entire time..

Nope. It's an all new item, and it's a different pendant. I guess when Miyazaki mentioned a pendant had a meaning, and much of the Artorias content being cancelled material added into the game, he was hinting at something like this the entire time..

Ah bummer; interesting though...

I hear what you're saying, but I am not patient with anything. If I hit a proverbial wall, every bone in my body tells me to give up. I can get about 2-3 "deaths" before I'm too frustrated and stop playing.

I'm also that guy who plays every game on easy, even though he can play on harder difficulties simply because he doesn't want it to be challenging. I want to mindlessly slash at things and have them die while I zone out and drool comes out of my mouth and fills up the room making a swimming pool.

:(

Of course when a game that looks like dark souls comes along, I want to play it because it's so unique, but this is never going to be the kind of game I want to play. I don't like being punished and would rather restart immediately after fucking up, or simply stop playing.

I am totally baffled as to why you would ever buy this game given what you say. It's like someone going to a horror film and complaining because they don't like to be scared. You HAD to know that Dark Souls is notorious for being a demanding challenging game. That is the one thing everybody knows about it.

You probably aren't going to break the habit now since you seem already set in your ways. I am the last person to play games on the hardest difficulties. And for a long time I too liked to zone out when I played games. I often chatted with friends, listened to podcasts or even drank a few beers while I played. But frankly Dark Souls on 360 is the first game that made me realize that games CAN be interesting enought to hold my full attention and be incredibly rewarding. It actually changed the way I look at games.

But like others have said if you don't want to even attempt to meet it on its own terms then it makes no sense to request that it become the kind of game you are asking for becuase you are, as others have pointed out, eliminating pretty much everything that makes it unique and special and rewarding. There are literally hundreds of hours of gameplay in something like Skyrim. It has all those things you want. You should probably just go play that instead. Ironically Dark Souls is the game that ruined Skyrim for me. I played Oblivion until I had 1000/1000 gamerscore but Skyrim bored the fuck out of me because there was nothing compelling about the game play at all. The thing that changed for me between Oblivion and Skyrim was that I played Dark Souls for 70+ hours.

RedSwirl

The whole point of this game is becoming more skilled and feeling a sense of accomplishment for overcoming a challenge. Making the game stupidly easy like most games nowadays will remove the highs of accomplishment you would feel from beating a more challenging game.

There are guys who have beaten Dark Souls without ever leveling up. Those guys must feel like gods.

This is why I consider Demon's Souls and Dark Souls to be just about the perfect action RPG system. These games almost perfectly balance the challenges presented by RPGs and action games, and requires the skills for each genre equally.

Most action RPGs made by RPG studios lean heavily towards the RPG end of the scale where winning is still mostly about stats with rudimentary action-based skills and challenges put in. Almost none of them require Ninja Gaiden skills while simultaneously dealing with Final Fantasy-level stat management. You even have cases like Mass Effect where the second and third games went almost all the way to the action end of the scale where the games required third person shooter skills more than anything else except on the highest difficulty levels.

Dark Souls in my opinion manages to almost perfectly balance this out. Progressing through the game requires twitch action game skills (though DS uses a slower and more strategic system) but still allows you to delve deep into stat management. One of the tings it does that I've always wanted to see in an action RPG is stats that affect real time movement like poise, and how heavy your equipment is which affects your movement and dodging speed. Contrast this with, say, Skyrim, which has a similar control system but still prioritizes good stats over good real time combat skill.

I don't like twitch games like counter strike or whatever, but yes. I don't like casual shit, but I pretty much zone out when playing games. Maybe that doesn't make me the best player, but I'm pretty much not competitive in games. (unless I'm winning then I try to keep up but otherwise I don't give a crap)

Yeah I am not interested in any of that shit. It doesn't have to be god of war, it just has to be less...this.

I already feel like that in the second paragraph, but the very "oh you fell down? well I'm just gonna keep attacking you while you can't do anything, oh you died. Deal with it!" mentality doesn't jive with me. no fuck YOU dark souls! *breaks controller*

I guess that's what action RPG fans have come to expect though. I can understand if someone prefers that kind of RPG where they want real time combat, but not at Ninja Gaiden levels.

Top Bottom