• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

yeah it sucks that there's infinite health and stuff already. my experience online has been awesome so far though, haven't ran into any hackers. Helped a couple of people with Iron golem and no one was overpowered or flipping in heavy armor. Got invaded once by a spirt of vengeance in anor londo. Mid roll, halberd. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I see some unsavory shit in multiplayer though.

Question about performance:

I'm getting pretty solid 30 fps, running the game stock (no mod) on a 2.66ghz quad core, with a 550ti card, but even though my FPS clock says 30, i get this weird slow down, sluggish, sub-10 fps effect.

I do get occasional dips here and there, but they aren't 'blight town' bad, like this effect I'm trying to describe.

Not sure if my PC can't handle it, or if this is just the bad optimization people were talking about?

Mzo

That does sound nice. What do you think, is it a good idea to have a first playthrough without guides or GAF?
I think the game inspires a community aspect for learning. I wouldn't play this game with a guide open in front of me telling me what to do every step of the way, but it would almost go against the game to not pick up information from friends or message boards =]

Turn to guides and GAF before turning to hacks, but yeah.

Obviously ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for advice if you get stuck, but I wholeheartedly endorse avoiding walkthroughs and wikis your first time through the game. You only get one chance at going in blind, and you'll never have a playthrough where everything is new to you ever again. Best to make the most of it, I think. The way NG+ works there's no way you can screw yourself out of anything in perpetuity, so you needn't worry about irrevocably missing anything and just enjoy playing through all the stuff you can find under your own power. The internet ain't goin' anywhere, after all, it'll still be there when you're done to help you tie up loose ends.

Yeah, that's my primary concern. From petition over announcement to release it's been a pretty emontional ride for me :)lol) and I want to experience the game in the best way possible.

Finalow said:
why you gotta ruin everything. :(
but yeah, you feel the dig difference between ng and ng+, then you won't notice much.

You dirty liar! :mad:

Mzo said:
I think the game inspires a community aspect for learning. I wouldn't play this game with a guide open in front of me telling me what to do every step of the way, but it would almost go against the game to not pick up information from friends or message boards =]

I won't completely shut myself out of the game but I want to experience everything by myself with as little outside input as possible for my first run. Kinda like The Legend of Zelda 1 in the NES days, ya dig? ;) I'll happily share in a thread where I can avoid spoilers though.

Anyway, thanks again for the answers guys, see you in a few weeks when I'm done with my first playthrough or end up being so frustrated that I need GAFs strong shoulder.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
How did you even do this on the ps3? 0.o

There's a glitch in Demon's Souls to duplicate items. If you duplicate a boss soul and then use it you can get infinite souls and max out your stats. I assume that's what he's referring to. I'm not familiar with any glitches that give you infinite HP, but maxing out your stats and duping 100% healing items is pretty close to the same thing in practice.

There was actually an invincibility glitch in Dark Souls when it first came out, interestingly enough. It was fixed in the first console patch, though. Did make for some frustrating PvP for a while.

Tess3ract

Banned
How did you even do this on the ps3? 0.o
My PS3 is running CFW. Load up a package with cheats like that preloaded is basically how that works out. No online capability, but I don't care about that anyways.

Why do you play games? What other games do you enjoy? Not judging you. Trying.
I play games to relax and waste time. I play games to explore the created world and escape to a world that is not this one.

I love rpgs and rts games. I like games where you can stop and think. I like the act of leveling up and customizing your character.

Ridley327

There's not a requirement to summon her, other than being in human form. There are a couple other phantoms who work that way and just sort of show up. They've all got stories that you can learn by finding their equipment and reading the item descriptions, but they're long dead by the time the game starts.

Thank you so much for this advice! It turned out that there wasn't much beyond that boss beyond a key to a door that I already unlocked with the master key, but that Divine Ember looks like it's in good hands with the Blacksmith in the Parish.

mxgt

Banned
Sif is kicking my ass, lol. A lot of fun to re learn fights I haven't done in 6+ months since I last played the game.

Teknoman

Alright, is everyone getting the Gargoyle helm now, because I never managed to get the drop on PS3, but I got it right off the bat here...and seems like everyone else did too?

My PS3 is running CFW. Load up a package with cheats like that preloaded is basically how that works out. No online capability, but I don't care about that anyways.

I play games to relax and waste time. I play games to explore the created world and escape to a world that is not this one.

I love rpgs and rts games. I like games where you can stop and think. I like the act of leveling up and customizing your character.

Pretend summoning other phantoms = making troops in an RTS, and send them after the enemy black phantom that invades you :p

Honestly, Dark Souls isnt all that relaxing, but it does have a great feel of exploration and you should always consider your situation before engaging an enemy.

Tess3ract

Banned
Ok, I'm not buying your act anymore.
iImRFL2F4u0Qf.gif

It's not an act.

Razek

Banned
http://i.minus.com/iImRFL2F4u0Qf.gif[IMG]

It's not an act.[/QUOTE]

As long as your having fun I'm not to judge.

Anyways, I have a question for the aficionados here. Do the magical scroll things get all their uses back when I sit at a bonfire?

[quote="LiquidMetal14, post: 41400037"]Can't get past the first boss. Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Take your time. Don't over attack. Just go in for a hit and then roll like a demon out of there. Don't let him corner you.

GooeyHeat

Tess3ract, why did you buy a "Prepare to Die" edition of a game whose tagline is "Prepare to Die"... if you weren't prepared to die?

Zzoram

Souls games make you level up yourself, not just your character. That's what makes them great.

mrNTE

Only issue I had with the PS3 version was the low visibility. Durante fixes that issue for the PC version.
How bad is GFWL? Is it Batman bad?

Sullichin

So did they tweak the drop rate, because i've stacking humanity to boost my luck...and not sure if that even matters now. I mean I even got the demon machete from
Capra
. Granted I havent found any healing items yet, but still.

I got a gargoyle helm on a character I aborted and the one I'm using now. No Demon Machete on either of them though. Humanity still increases item drop rate. Didn't take me long to farm a balder side sword with 10 humanity / gold serpent ring. What do you mean you haven't found any healing items?

Teknoman

Nope, I did get a nice sack though!

Ah ok, guess i'm just having different luck this time around.

I got a gargoyle helm on a character I aborted and the one I'm using now. No Demon Machete on either of them though. Humanity still increases item drop rate. Didn't take me long to farm a balder side sword with 10 humanity / gold serpent ring. What do you mean you haven't found any healing items?

Havent found any moss clumps off enemies. Or was that later in the gardens? Heh I might be confusing things from later in the game.

Man I wish they allowed modding. Some things I'd fix after playing for 3 hours:

- Remove only saving at bonfires
- quicksave
- remove respawning enemies after using bonfire
- add a fucking jump button
- remove having to find your souls after death
- cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance

and before you ask, I'm not trolling or joking. I couldn't be more serious.

gA4DG.gif

Vorg

Banned
Act? I know lots of people who enjoy that.

I just think it's a weird sentence considering this game does make you think before you rush in and it is all about getting stronger and customizing your character. Besides, it goes against the "I like to turn my brain off and just slash away" stuff he said before, but hey. whatever.

Ridley327

Alright, is everyone getting the Gargoyle helm now, because I never managed to get the drop on PS3, but I got it right off the bat here...and seems like everyone else did too?

I didn't get one, but I'm assuming that since they weren't too big of enemies that I'll be getting plenty of chances later.

Sullichin

Ah ok, guess i'm just having different luck this time around.

Havent found any moss clumps off enemies. Or was that later in the gardens? Heh I might be confusing things from later in the game.

Oh those. No they still drop from the trees in the beginning of the forest. I grabbed some of them before I went to Blighttown through the front entrance. It's been a while since I went that way. Died quite a few times. Amazing to play that area without a chugging framerate.

Shinjica

I hope that's not how you roll in school.

If you want to veg out, just do endless forest farming runs and grind up to an insanely high level to make the game easier.

Yeah i love be summon by
Avina and the forest hunter covenant
to punish people who farm

FACE

Banned
Man I wish they allowed modding. Some things I'd fix after playing for 3 hours:

- Remove only saving at bonfires
- quicksave
- remove respawning enemies after using bonfire
- add a fucking jump button
- remove having to find your souls after death
- cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance

and before you ask, I'm not trolling or joking. I couldn't be more serious.

Point and laugh.

Silex

Yesterday there was a post on the Dark Souls facebook page that they made the retail serials activate-able on Steam, but now the post is removed... Did anyone check that? Can anyone confirm that a retail key will work on Steam now?

Razek

Banned
Question: I'm never going to figure this out with some help. How do I equip a miracle I bought? I just got the required stats for it and the magic casting thing too but I cannot figure out how to select it.

Edit: also, what do the numbers mean in the top left corner? Is that humanity?

Deadstar

I'm never going to figure this out with some help. How do I equip a miracle I bought? I just got the required stats for it and the magic casting thing too but I cannot figure out how to select it.

Go to a bonfire to equip new miracles and spells. One of the options will do that for you, I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Uhm do I just suck at this game or are you supposed to be unable to beat the skeletons at the beginning of the game and/or the ghosts at new londo???

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone within 10 levels of SL30 want to fight Artorias? I can dodge like 95% of his attacks and take out about 60% of his health with pyromancy but the speed nerf on the claymore is killing me lol

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
is there a list of changes from ds to ds:pte?
From the community so far -

DWGR nerfed to below 25% equip load (CONFIRMED)
BB transfer and dragon head glitch fixed (CONFIRMED)
Claymore and all other greatswords had their speed nerfed (CONFIRMED)
New warp locations, such as Undead Parish, the Depths, Tomb of the Giants and more (CONFIRMED)
Elite Knight Set fixed. Now the poise is back to 46 making it useful again (CONFIRMED)
Hornet Ring nerfed. Damage is now 30%, not 50% (CONFIRMED)
Some item changes on corpses ex. 3 humanities on the corpse at the well in Firelink Shire (CONFIRMED)
Eagle Shield physical damage reduction down to 95% from 100% making it useless (CONFIRMED)
Mid-Rolls buffed (CONFIRMED)
Elemenatal weapons slightly nerfed (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Father nerfed. Now adds 5% equip load (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Mother nerfed. Now adds 10% HP (CONFIRMED)
Hyper Armor for STR weapons returned (CONFIRMED)

From the community so far -

DWGR nerfed to below 25% equip load (CONFIRMED)
BB transfer and dragon head glitch fixed (CONFIRMED)
Claymore and all other greatswords had their speed nerfed (CONFIRMED)
New warp locations, such as Undead Parish, the Depths, Tomb of the Giants and more (CONFIRMED)
Elite Knight Set fixed. Now the poise is back to 46 making it useful again (CONFIRMED)
Hornet Ring nerfed. Damage is now 30%, not 50% (CONFIRMED)
Some item changes on corpses ex. 3 humanities on the corpse at the well in Firelink Shire (CONFIRMED)
Eagle Shield physical damage reduction down to 95% from 100% making it useless (CONFIRMED)
Mid-Rolls buffed (CONFIRMED)
Elemenatal weapons slightly nerfed (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Father nerfed. Now adds 5% equip load (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Mother nerfed. Now adds 10% HP (CONFIRMED)
Hyper Armor for STR weapons returned (CONFIRMED)

thank you sir.

awe yeah. ELITE KNIGHT SET <3

Top Bottom