• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

IoCaster

Welp, I got stomped pretty bad by a big fat demon, but I managed to land a couple of hits, shitty controls and all. Got to tweak the mouse sensitivity some more and give it another go. So far it's been an odd mixture of fun and frustration. As soon as I can get the controls tuned better the fun factor should kick into a higher gear. On the bright side, I can already tell that I'll get a lot of hours of playtime out of this game.

Revoh

What stats should I level up on my warrior?
I have a feeling I've fucked up leveling stuff not important for my class.
I've beeng leveling str, vit and endurance, I'm lvl 22.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Welp, I got stomped pretty bad by a big fat demon, but I managed to land a couple of hits, shitty controls and all. Got to tweak the mouse sensitivity some more and give it another go. So far it's been an odd mixture of fun and frustration. As soon as I can get the controls tuned better the fun factor should kick into a higher gear. On the bright side, I can already tell that I'll get a lot of hours of playtime out of this game.

dont have a wired 360 controller around?

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
I invaded a hacker in Darkroot Garden. He was healing himself everytime i did a few hits. At least I think he was cheating, since there wasn't any healing animation or whatsoever. But something must have gone wrong, since he suddenly used flasks instead, or he just lost interest.

mxgt

Banned

If you're a heavy melee based character there's no way you can fuck up by choosing those stats.

Finalow

those are the right ones. If you feel like you need some "magic" go for the pyromancy.

Tess3ract

Banned
I guess that's what action RPG fans have come to expect though. I can understand if someone prefers that kind of RPG where they want real time combat, but not at Ninja Gaiden levels.
Last time I played Ninja Gaiden, I swear it punched me in the dick. I wonder if Ninja Blade or similar games are more forgiving.

GJS

What level has everyone decided to do Anor Londo at?

I'm SL44 and I haven't seen any summon signs. There were a few in sens fortress.

Grief.exe

Oh wow. Was clearing Undead Parish for Souls to upgrade Pyromancy and got some cool drops.

Decided to kill the boar and got his helm, and I also got 2 Balder Side Swords. Have one upgraded, love the one two punch of the power attack + quick attack.

ibruzWQV4VoNCs.png

I think the Ninja Gaiden comparison doesn't really work. I beat Ninja Gaiden Black on the original Xbox but I found it pretty frustrating specifically because it required really fast reflexes and punished you if you didn't have them. I ended up cheesing a lot of the fights by doing stuff like walk attacks and throwing stars at guys from a distance.

Dark Souls is much more my type of game specifically because there is nothing really twitch about it. Even the parry attacks have a wider window than most of Ninja Gaiden's. The combat is much slower paced. It is more strategic and more about keeping aware of your placement and your enemies and being patience and looking for openings. A lot of the fights in NG I was frankly just spamming combos. That shit would get you killed instantly in Dark Souls.

I think the Ninja Gaiden comparison doesn't really work. I beat Ninja Gaiden Black on the original Xbox but I found it pretty frustrating specifically because it required really fast reflexes and punished you if you didn't have them. I ended up cheesing a lot of the fights by doing stuff like walk attacks and throwing stars at guys from a distance.

Dark Souls is much more my type of game specifically because there is nothing really twitch about it. Even the parry attacks have a wider window than most of Ninja Gaiden's. The combat is much slower paced. It is more strategic and more about keeping aware of your placement and your enemies and being patience and looking for openings. A lot of the fights in NG I was frankly just spamming combos. That shit would get you killed instantly in Dark Souls.

I didn't really know that throwing stars at guys (to do damage?) from a distance was such a viable tactic in Master Ninja Difficulty Ninja Gaiden Black, do tell me more amazing tactics.

NGB gets brought up because Dark Souls is just a slower paced action game (invulnerability frames on roll and all). It is very different obviously but I can safely recommend people who like good action games like NGB/DMC/ETC to play Dark Souls. At the end of the day the stats in Dark/Demon's Souls are pretty much never what is stopping you from defeating something (if you are in the correct area for your level range in Dark Souls obviously).

Foffy

Banned
I already feel like that in the second paragraph, but the very "oh you fell down? well I'm just gonna keep attacking you while you can't do anything, oh you died. Deal with it!" mentality doesn't jive with me. no fuck YOU dark souls! *breaks controller*

This really tends to happen if you get yourself into a corner or rush in blindly. Very rarely do enemies chain you into this unless you give them the opportunity. What advantages you can make over the enemy are the same as they can have over you.

Ridley327

Wait, you can wear the boar's head as a helm? That speaks directly to the Monster Hunter fan in me!

Tell me he respawns as a common enemy later, so that I may also wear the skin of my enemy as a hat.

aFIGurANT

What level has everyone decided to do Anor Londo at?

I'm SL44 and I haven't seen any summon signs. There were a few in sens fortress.

At 34-37 I've been seeing a lot and getting a lot of summons. Enough to refill me to like 4 humanity and probably 100,000 souls even counting the couple of times we've failed to kill O&S. I think that most levels before 100 should see good action, sooner or later.

Foffy

Banned
Oh...wow..I think that was not the best tactic to do.
Finally beat Artorias by doing nothing but standing next to him and hitting him with the Greatsword of Artorias. Came in with full flasks and everything. I didn't know you can stagger him, and you can actually cancel his purple power-up animation.

ArynCrinn

Banned
So I played all night up to Sif, normal order, and doing and getting everything on the way. Performance on this rig:

i7 2600k 4.4GHz
GTX 690SLI 4GB
16GBDDR3
Win 7 64-bit

Was pretty much the same as my i5 rig. Same very rare drops to 28-29fps, and a couple drops to 26fps at a spot in Darkroot basin, for whatever reason. Overall though it's a smooth going ride. I'm gonna be sticking with this rig while I play from now on. But yeah, with Durante's fix at 1080p it's a great looking and playing game.

Also, got the Black Knight Shield drop from the first Black Knight you fight in the Burg! Couldn't believe it.

Last time I played the Gaping Dragon during NG I must of had much higher damage output. It's an easy boss because his attacks are easy to avoid but man did it take forever. I'm guessing when I played him the first time I was using the Drake sword, this time I was using a long sword + 5.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Everyone in Dark Souls is a fuckin asshole. It's like.... your traveling to retrieve your lost power from the last death, and if you don't KILL every single piece of shit all over again, some dick face jerk off will track you down mindless from the other side of the map, and he'll wait until you're in a battle... you're just about to get your shit back.. he'll wait right there, and then BAM FUCKIN STABBED IN THE BACK, YOU FORGOT ABOUT ME goddamn it.. GODDAMN!!t

Hoo-doo

Banned
Looking through the thread and this Tess3ract cat's post are just depressing. <:(

Hahaha, Tess3racts posts are a staple of any Souls thread.

First there's anger, then there's acceptance, then enlightenment, then thrill, and finally it becomes your Game of the Year.

Viewtify

Banned
Holy fuck at the
Father of the Abyss. Whatever I do I can not beat him. I finished everything in the game up until him and the DLC dragon.

I do not know how to PvP as a mage at all. I'm now at Sens Fortress and have been in the Gravelord Covenant since before the gargoyles but have barely made use of my eyes of death because I get my ass handed to me in PvP.

I didn't really know that throwing stars at guys (to do damage?) from a distance was such a viable tactic in Master Ninja Difficulty Ninja Gaiden Black, do tell me more amazing tactics.

NGB gets brought up because Dark Souls is just a slower paced action game (invulnerability frames on roll and all). It is very different obviously but I can safely recommend people who like good action games like NGB/DMC/ETC to play Dark Souls. At the end of the day the stats in Dark/Demon's Souls are pretty much never what is stopping you from defeating something (if you are in the correct area for your level range in Dark Souls obviously).

No need to get smarmy. I never said anything about playing on "Master difficulty." My only point was that Ninja Gaiden Black relies a lot more on reflexes and twitch skills because it is faster paced. That sucks balls for those of us who are a bit older and don't have the reflexes of 17 year olds on Red Bull.

Dark Souls while maybe similar in "difficulty" is a very different type of difficulty. It rarely if ever demands lightening reflexes. It is much more about patience, positioning, and strategy. As I said, even the parrys are way way slower and easier than Ninja Gaiden Black. I just wouldn't want anybody who disliked Ninja Gaiden to be scared away from Dark Souls because of such comparisons. Even if you sucked at Ninja Gaiden Black you can still play Dark Souls.

Raide

Everyone in Dark Souls is a fuckin asshole. It's like.... your traveling to retrieve your lost power from the last death, and if you don't KILL every single piece of shit all over again, some dick face jerk off will track you down mindless from the other side of the map, and he'll wait until you're in a battle... you're just about to get your shit back.. he'll wait right there, and then BAM FUCKIN STABBED IN THE BACK, YOU FORGOT ABOUT ME goddamn it.. GODDAMN!!t

Welcome To Dark So *Gets Stabbed*

Zaventem

Holy fuck at the
Father of the Abyss. Whatever I do I can not beat him. I finished everything in the game up until him and the DLC dragon.

D you have the
silver pendant? it repels black magic.You can get it by using any light source near the pre written message that saying something about light,it makes a weird noise when you read it.It helps greatly with his magic spamming later in the fight

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Does anyone who has done the DLC know how to get Artorias' armor?

Exact same way you get basically all boss armor. Kill Artorias and then buy it from Domhnall. Costs 80,000 souls total, 20,000 per piece.

ArynCrinn

Banned
This is why I consider Demon's Souls and Dark Souls to be just about the perfect action RPG system. These games almost perfectly balance the challenges presented by RPGs and action games, and requires the skills for each genre equally.

Most action RPGs made by RPG studios lean heavily towards the RPG end of the scale where winning is still mostly about stats with rudimentary action-based skills and challenges put in. Almost none of them require Ninja Gaiden skills while simultaneously dealing with Final Fantasy-level stat management. You even have cases like Mass Effect where the second and third games went almost all the way to the action end of the scale where the games required third person shooter skills more than anything else except on the highest difficulty levels.

Dark Souls in my opinion manages to almost perfectly balance this out. Progressing through the game requires twitch action game skills (though DS uses a slower and more strategic system) but still allows you to delve deep into stat management. One of the tings it does that I've always wanted to see in an action RPG is stats that affect real time movement like poise, and how heavy your equipment is which affects your movement and dodging speed. Contrast this with, say, Skyrim, which has a similar control system but still prioritizes good stats over good real time combat skill.

I guess that's what action RPG fans have come to expect though. I can understand if someone prefers that kind of RPG where they want real time combat, but not at Ninja Gaiden levels.

I see where you're going with this, and I agree pretty much. But this game is nothing compared to Ninja Gaiden Black or 2, in terms of difficulty, timing, reflexes and pure twitch. It can approach it, Demon's approached it more often imo, but it's not in the same league. And I beat Black and 2, on Master Ninja, got a fucked up 360 controller to prove it! :p

But honestly it's a totally different type of difficulty between this and a action game like NG, DMC or Bayonetta. Most of this games' inherent "difficulty" in terms of raw reflex and timing comes from the tension and mental aspect. Once you get the combat system down, it's not that hard at all.

Tess3ract

Banned
I just realized why you guys were doing spoilers in this game when there's nothing really there to spoil story wise. You're spoiling armaments and ways to beat bosses.

*head sinks into hands, defeated and crying*

ixix

Holy fuck at the

I'm at a point where I can solo him, but I can't cut off his tail. He's brutal, but he telegraphs all his attacks and most attacks can be blocked. You get used to it eventually.

But that goddamn tail. I have helped five people kill him in co-op and I've soloed him down to near-death twice before quitting the game so I wouldn't miss his tail drop. Never gotten it to decouple from his hindquarters. Driving me crazy, it is.

Viewtify

Banned
D you have the
silver pendant? it repels black magic.You can get it by using any light source near the pre written message that saying something about light,it makes a weird noise when you read it.It helps greatly with his magic spamming later in the fight

Thanks. I completely forgot about that
light message.

Foffy

Banned
I have a question. What can you get from Artorias' soul?
I gave it to some woman for a few daggers. I know you can make a sword from it, but it has weaker stats than the Greatsword of Artorias, I noticed.

I also killed the boar and got nothing :(

Quick question: Why I'm getting humanity without doing nothing?
If you haven't killed the boss of an area yet, then killing large numbers of hollow enemies in that area will grant you humanity. You can gain up to 10 humanity this way, before killing the area boss. I was wondering the same thing on my first playthrough and looked it up.

I remember building up to 6 humanity in Undead Burg this way, early in the game. Got really familiar with the area to the point where it became a routine cake walk. So, at one point, I carelessly fell to my death. "No problem. I'll just speed-kill my way back to my green aura." *Runs into first room across the bridge, sword flying. Gets gang raped by 3 lowly mobs.*

Dark Souls <3

Dizzy-4U

If you haven't killed the boss of an area yet, then killing large numbers of hollow enemies in that area will grant you humanity. You can gain up to 10 humanity this way, before killing the area boss. I was wondering the same thing on my first playthrough and looked it up.

I remember building up to 6 humanity in Undead Burg this way, early in the game. Got really familiar with the area to the point where it became a routine cake walk. So, at one point, I carelessly fell to my death. "No problem. I'll just speed-kill my way back to my green aura." *Runs into first room across the bridge, sword flying. Gets gang raped by 3 lowly mobs.*

Dark Souls <3
Ahh, I see. Yes, I'm farming a little bit to get my faith a little higher. Thanks.

ixix

I'm going to choose that class on my second playthrough

You don't need to choose a Pyromancer to use Pyromancy. Your class selection determines your starting stats and equipment, but doesn't limit you in any way.

The Pyromancer class starts with the item used to cast Pyromancy as well as the Fireball spell, but all characters can get the flame and the spells a few hours into the game.

The nice thing about Pyromancy is that it's almost totally stat independent, so any character can make good use of it. It's basically the spell type for non-spellcasters.

GJS

Man, what's up with Lautrec and his goonies now. I don't remember them being able to hit you whilst you were down before.

Revoh

You don't need to choose a Pyromancer to use Pyromancy. Your class selection determines your starting stats and equipment, but doesn't limit you in any way.

The Pyromancer class starts with the item used to cast Pyromancy as well as the Fireball spell, but all characters can get the flame and the spells a few hours into the game.

The nice thing about Pyromancy is that it's almost totally stat independent, so any character can make good use of it. It's basically the spell type for non-spellcasters.

Didn't know that, that's great!
Thanks

ArynCrinn

Banned
Only Pyro spells anybody needs, if they don't know, would be Great Fireball and Great Chaos Fireball. Those will give you 8 charges and carry you the entire game. All the other Pyro is simply optional or preference, other than maybe Power Within on NG+
Four Kings

Top Bottom