• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

dino1980

I think I have found the best grinding place in the game. If you are a sorcerer go to the first firelink in Anor Lando. Equip soul spear and go to the 3 big armor guys either to the left or right. Stand to the left of them and shoot a soul spear, if they dont go down shoot a soul arrow directly afterwards. This will take them down in two-five seconds. Do this with all three if them to get 4500 souls and go back to the firelink to replenish and respawn.

This run will only take about 55 seconds and you will earn 4500 souls. Thats about 270 000souls/hour. Alot bether than doing the forest run.

Foffy

Banned
I think I have found the best grinding place in the game. If you are a sorcerer go to the first firelink in Anor Lando. Equip soul spear and go to the 3 big armor guys either to the left or right. Stand to the left of them and shoot a soul spear, if they dont go down shoot a soul arrow directly afterwards. This will take them down in two-five seconds. Do this with all three if them to get 4500 souls and go back to the firelink to replenish and respawn.

This run will only take about 55 seconds and you will earn 4500 souls. Thats about 270 000souls/hour. Alot bether than doing the forest run.

I'm not sure about that. If you do the forest run and if you stack the two exp+ items in the game, you can net about 10,000 souls in about two minutes.

Morris

Disco Devil
Thanks.

By the way, question I'm actually hoping an answer for: humanity is limited just like stones of the ephemeral eyes were in Demon's Souls, right? I kinda want to get rid of hollow form just to de-ugyify myself but if I only have like 30 humanities in the whole game, I should probably think about it a little better.

And I can tell you right now that having my character being a rotten corpse will be the one caveat that makes me like this a hell lot less than Demon's, just because I have a hard time relating :p

You can get Humanity by killing rats near the bonfire from The Depths, so, they're not exactly limited. Farm away!

2Crisis

No the one that's right after the
spider boss, underneath where you ring the bell. He looks like an enemy which is why I attacked him.

I did the same thing my first playthrough.
it's only a problem if you want to join their covenent. He is their merchant

Foffy

Banned
No the one that's right after the
spider boss, underneath where you ring the bell. He looks like an enemy which is why I attacked him.

Well, you didn't screw yourself too bad. You can either request Absolution from Oswald (This can be obscenely expensive depending of your level in the game) or live with it. Living with it means
you cannot access the Chaos Servant Covenant, which allows some strong fire spells, and you lose access to a shortcut to an area later in the game, and that shortcut is key for something...that something isn't mandatory, though.

dino1980

I'm not sure about that. If you do the forest run and if you stack the two exp+ items in the game, you can net about 10,000 souls in about two minutes.
So with exp+ you can get about 6500 in 55 seconds. Thats 13000 in under two minutes. For me if i was lucky with the thief i would clock in at 2.30 minutes but was around 3min in general.

ArynCrinn

Banned

I agree, early on first playthrough, without access to any rings or items that boost souls, the forest is the best place to farm. Just did so myself to boost my Faith a bit so I can finally use Homeward!

The Anor Londo Tower Knights aren't a bad place to farm either though. Pyro also takes them down very quickly.

Foffy

Banned
I agree, early on first playthrough, without access to any rings or items that boost souls, the forest is the best place to farm. Just did so myself to boost my Faith a bit so I can finally use Homeward!

The Anor Londo Tower Knights aren't a bad place to farm either though. Pyro also takes them down very quickly.

Well, it could be a bad place to farm if
you kill Gwynevere. From removed the respawning human soldiers that appear. The Tower Knights don't exist there anymore with her dead.

Sarcasm

Is it best to lvl up when you can? I currently only have 4K (so little) and a pyro. I have just got to the second fire place where it says use ranged (which I can't)..what should I do?

Aguirre

Is it best to lvl up when you can? I currently only have 4K (so little) and a pyro. I have just got to the second fire place where it says use ranged (which I can't)..what should I do?

grind. get to the bridge where the dragon resides. run half way (be careful) along the bridge, then to your right, go down the stairs. kick down the ladders for a short cut to the bridge and for easy xp.

Foffy

Banned

Leveling up in a game like this doesn't actually matter. Like in Demon's Souls, there are people who have gotten through the whole game on low-level builds. Sure, leveling up helps with stats and stuff, but those are to enhance your character's abilities.

My suggestion however is every time a boss is cleared, or you think you have a chunk of souls, spend them on something. It's better to die with 500 souls on your person after leveling/spending them than losing 20,000 by holding on to them.

UrbanRats

Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed

God fucking damnit.

NZNova

Could someone give me a basic idea of what's going on with Covenants? I joined the one that was offered at Firelink Shrine but didn't really gather exactly what the point of them is. Without giving away too much, what's the basic gist?

krishian

Could someone give me a basic idea of what's going on with Covenants? I joined the one that was offered at Firelink Shrine but didn't really gather exactly what the point of them is. Without giving away too much, what's the basic gist?
They each have a different effect on your online play. I think the one you joined gives you higher priority for co-op and basically "deflects" invaders. Some of the others have rewards (spells/weapons) when you reach a certain rank in them.

Foffy

Banned

The Way of White? I believe it helps you find phantoms so you can summon them more easily.

blasowski

Neo Member
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed

God fucking damnit.
I must agree.

wutwutwut

Wow. I had tons of trouble with (Lower Undead Burg spoilers)
Capra Demon, around 10 tries without taking a single HP off him. Stripped down to light load while keeping my +5 claymore. Beat him first try after that. Light load is so much easier to deal with than medium load.

Also for some reason the game runs way better on my laptop windowed than fullscreen. Fullscreen, it occasionally stutters at 1280x720. Windowed, I've been playing at 1600x900 without a single hitch.

Finalow

Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed

God fucking damnit.
remember Demon's Souls co-op? Good times, good times.

NBtoaster

It's awfully lonely in the later levels :( So few messages, ghosts or invasion opportunities. And the ones I do get are obviously pros..

I can't wait for all you new npc killers and covenant sinners to get into my level range :3

RaffAO

Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed
Summoning Failed

God fucking damnit.

Check that your NAT isn't showing as strict in gfwl network info. If it is, here's a good guide to fixing it: http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32525088

With Open you'll still get a lot of fails due to other people with badly configured routers. There's a lot of bad advice around regarding port forwarding.

mxgt

Banned
voR0L.jpg

Since Friday evening. The addiction returns.

UrbanRats

Check that your NAT isn't showing as strict in gfwl network info. If it is, here's a good guide to fixing it: http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32525088

With Open you'll still get a lot of fails due to other people with badly configured routers. There's a lot of bad advice around regarding port forwarding.

I'll try that, though i've been able to summon a couple of times (in a total of 30 tries or so) so it's not like i'm failing everytime.

Fistwell

FUCK THIS GAME!!!1!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!1!

FUCK THIS GAME!!!1!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!1!

FUCK THIS GAME!!!1!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!1!

etc.

Sullichin

So I alt-tabbed out of the game last night and forgot to quit before I went to bed. It kicked me out of online mode at one point. I wonder if this is a reason for the 15fps boot. Makes sense to me -- the game still runs when you alt-tab away from it (you can get invaded and stuff), but the framerate can take a dump while you're doing other stuff on your PC.

Got cursed by Seath. I'm really playing like shit.

What's the best Strength weapon? What are some good melee builds?

I like:

- Large Club
(the big trolls in blighttown can drop it; Great club does a bit more damage but i like the moveset of the large club more)
- Black Knight Greataxe
(small chance of a Black Knight in one area dropping it, but you can get it for sure end-game)
- Demon Great Machete
(dropped by Capra demons)

Basically if you want to focus on leveling STR you want a weapon that has a high ParamBonus (S, A, or B) for the strength stat. Note that your weapon requirements are lowered when using the weapon 2 handed, and most STR weapons are best in 2 hands. If you're comfortable with just using the 2H moveset, it's totally viable to never upgrade STR further to use 1 hand and use those points elsewhere.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FUCK THIS GAME!!!1!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!1!

FUCK THIS GAME!!!1!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!1!

FUCK THIS GAME!!!1!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!1!

etc.

haha

Razek

Banned
Tutorial spoilers:

I'm curious, has anyone beaten the tutorial boss on the first try rather then the second when you actually get a weapon?

Sullichin

Tutorial spoilers:

I'm curious, has anyone beaten the tutorial boss on the first try rather then the second when you actually get a weapon?

Yeah, it's easy if you get the black firebombs as the starting gift. You get
a demon great hammer
as a reward.

Top Bottom