• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

Being able to warp to Andre's bonfire and Duke's is great.

It seems to me like item drop rates were increased overall. I could be wrong about this but i'm having an easy time farming humanity from rats and chunks from wraiths.

EasyMode

Is anyone having any success with summoning? I'm forwarding all the ports and still having no luck.

I'm finding summoning as inconsistent as it was on the PS3. It's a coin toss really. I have a feeling that even though a player has been summoned by someone else already, their summon sign may linger for a few moments.

The other day I tried summoning someone who I noticed was using the Zweihander (a two-handed greatsword). A short while later I got the "Summoning failed" message, and a few moments after that I see a white ghost with a Zweihander rising out of the ground as if summoned by someone else. It may have been a coincidence but I dunno...

Servers > P2P, that I do know.

Fistwell

What did I just do...

y8H1Q.png
Go easy on the finger this time, yeah?

Vaporak

Is anyone having any success with summoning? I'm forwarding all the ports and still having no luck.

Summoning works about maybe 5ish% of the time for me. I've pretty much given up on getting it working, the vast majority of my co-op experience has been getting summoned and not summoning.

mxgt

Banned
Artorias is such a fucking great fight, he's kicking my ass but the great thing with this game is you can see yourself progressing every try.

Quikies83

Just got to the new area at SL37 -- Sanctuary Guardian is giving me quite the beating :)
Love this boss design.

Anyone in the area want to throw down a sign and help me out. Or just any tips?

GFWL: Quikies83

krishian

After the fight with Manus,
what's the deal with Dusk? Am I supposed to help her somehow, or just go talk to the Mushroom Lady?

Not that I dont agree. I'm just getting my ass kick :lol

Yup, Blighttown sucks a fat one. Even having beat both Souls games before on PS3 and this time coming into Blighttown MUCH more prepared than I was in any previous attempt, I still got my arse handed to me.

Finally at the bottom though! At least the boss is a piece of cake.

What's the best Strength weapon? What are some good melee builds?
I used the Black Knight Great Axe on the 360 version and loved it. Comes out fast, wide swing arc, pretty good damage.

It was broken like this on the console versions too. Even worse, before 1.05 I think it was, soul signs were more scarce because of stricter matchmaking conditions.

Grief.exe

Wow I really love this game, I'm so glad that the petition worked and From ported this over right now.

Anyways, I woke up this morning and just had that feeling that I needed to play, I had my first official rage quit last night at sen's fortress, I quoted it below.

Any advice? That place is maddening. I'm going to go farm up some arrows for the guy who knocked me off. I'm also going to save my pyromancy, wasted it on the mimic the last time.

Just had my first official rage quit. Sen's Fortress is so ridiculously frustrating.

Had gotten pretty far, was on this thin bridge with guillotines and a snake sorcerer who would knock me off with a spell. I had no pyromancy left to take care of snakey, and I had to sprint across. I barely touched one of the guillotines and fell to my death.

I'm finding summoning as inconsistent as it was on the PS3. It's a coin toss really. I have a feeling that even though a player has been summoned by someone else already, their summon sign may linger for a few moments.

The other day I tried summoning someone who I noticed was using the Zweihander (a two-handed greatsword). A short while later I got the "Summoning failed" message, and a few moments after that I see a white ghost with a Zweihander rising out of the ground as if summoned by someone else. It may have been a coincidence but I dunno...

Servers > P2P, that I do know.

Ya but servers cost money, and we've all seen how the greedy little bastards at Namco are with money.

It's definitely in before I start the game. The weird thing is that the only button that works is the "xbox' button which brings up the menu. And i need to use the keyboard to navigate then :)
If you've ever synced a wii remote to your pc, remove it from Devices and Printers in the control panel (win 7). If it's not the wii remote, it's likely some other controller or device that it's trying to use instead of the 360 pad.

Zeliard

Wow I really love this game, I'm so glad that the petition worked and From ported this over right now.

Anyways, I woke up this morning and just had that feeling that I needed to play, I had my first official rage quit last night at sen's fortress, I quoted it below.

Any advice? That place is maddening. I'm going to go farm up some arrows for the guy who knocked me off. I'm also going to save my pyromancy, wasted it on the mimic the last time.

Yeah kill lightning guy with arrows. Having a good amount of arrows in general is a good idea for that area; poison arrows work nicely. And generally just tread carefully, though I'm sure you quickly realized that. :p

Single biggest tip is to not miss the easily-missed bonfire at the top of the place.

Not that I dont agree. I'm just getting my ass kicked :lol

It remains one of the most intense areas in the game to play even after playing trough it multiple times. Positioning yourself during fights is more important on the platforms of Blighttown than it is in almost every area in the game.

One tip,
I take out the dart shooters with a bow, but I accept the fact that they will infect me with Toxic while I'm doing it. The trick is to not panic, continue shooting arrows if you're hitting one and just keep an eye on your health. If it gets low drink an Estas flask and continue shooting until he is dead and then use an item to cure Toxic. Don't try an cure yourself in the middle of the fight because he'll probably just infect you again. It's all easier said than done if you don't know where the darts are coming from, though. Once you've killed one, they are gone for good, so killing them should be a priority.

Razek

Banned
Can I get some help here please?

Basically, I want to run the winged spear. I went to check the wiki quick for the stat requirements instead of loading up my older save. Going to the wiki, I also see there are a whole bunch of ways to upgrade the weapons in this game (similar to demon souls).

Can somebody as non-spoilerishy as possible explain the upgrade system to me? Specifically, I'm interested in the lightning or fire path. I don't want to go any farther in the wiki but I don't want to mess up my build. How would I go about this?

I understand how to do the basic upgrade path and where the blacksmith is. Very general location spoilers are okay.

I just soul arrowed him to death, so throw some fireballs? Or if that's too slow maybe use a crossbow or something. Just don't stand out there on the ledge. Lock on, walk back into the doorway where its spells can't hit you, prep your attack and walk out. Repeat.

You could probably just run right buy him too so long as you don't stop moving. Haven't tried though.

Sullichin

Basically, I want to run the winged spear. I went to check the wiki quick for the stat requirements instead of loading up my older save. Going to the wiki, I also see there are a whole bunch of ways to upgrade the weapons in this game (similar to demon souls).

Can somebody as non-spoilerishy as possible explain the upgrade system to me? Specifically, I'm interested in the lightning or fire path. I don't want to go any farther in the wiki but I don't want to mess up my build. How would I go about this?

I understand how to do the basic upgrade path and where the blacksmith is. Very general location spoilers are okay.

If you go with fire/chaos/lightning, don't upgrade your stats beyond the minimum requirement for that weapon, as you will lose scaling bonuses. Lightning requires a +10 weapon and the blacksmith at Anor Londo.

Question: did they increase Pinwheel's HP so that he looks like an actual boss?

I beat him with a crap weapon so I can't say for sure but I don't think so.

Zeliard

You upgrade your base weapon to +5 or +10 depending on which modifier you wish to branch off to. For lightning or fire you take it to +10, and you'll be able to start off on lightning/fire once you get to the blacksmith in
Anor Lando

Those upgrades also remove stat scaling so while useful for some time, they are eventually outclassed by normal scaling weapons depending on how high you level to.

Question: did they increase Pinwheel's HP so that he looks like an actual boss?

One can only hope.

Mendrox

Played through the PS3 Version and didn't really want to buy the PC Version.

Buuuut the game looks incredible sexy in those screens, so I bought it from Direct2Play for 17 Euros. That's okay :p

Razek

Banned
If you go with fire/chaos/lightning, don't upgrade your stats beyond the minimum requirement for that weapon, as you will lose scaling bonuses. Lightning requires a +10 weapon and the blacksmith at Anor Londo.

I beat him with a crap weapon so I can't say for sure but I don't think so.

You upgrade your base weapon to +5 or +10 depending on which modifier you wish to branch off to. For lightning or fire you take it to +10, and you'll be able to start off on lightning/fire once you get to the blacksmith in
Anor Lando

Those upgrades also remove stat scaling so while useful for some time, they are eventually outclassed by normal scaling weapons depending on how high you level to.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me guys! I want to spend my soul points on other things besides str/dex this game so that was the plan.

I only have one last question: Which way is
Anor Lando
? Up, or down?

Quikies83

yup and you go to the catacombs blacksmith

Just got to the new content, first boss kicking my ass :) (SL53)

I just beat him at SL37 -- fairly easy once you get his attacks down (like all the others). I enjoyed that battle.

These new fucking giants in the Royal Woods don't fuck around.. God damn.

Sullichin

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me guys! I want to spend my soul points on other things besides str/dex this game so that was the plan.

I only have one last question: Which way is
Anor Lando
? Up, or down?

Gotta ring both bells first. To take weapons from +5 -> +10 you need the large ember,
located in the depths
, and Andre (parish blacksmith)

Top Bottom