• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon II |OT| Ruin has come to our forum

Bartski

Gold Member
Have you tried the latest changes to gamepad controls? Curious.
Not yet. I'll likely stick to PC for kingdoms and further, but like I said if the deck is a good indication of how it feels on the pad it's already fine. Except for some buggy inventory navigation but that seems like an easy fix.
I recall DD1 was night and day with K&M due to ways highlighting and showing exact values of some key parameters was a pain in the ass on the controller, here the general UI is much more controller friendly.
That being said, K&M is still king on this one, but I'm happy my team blue friends can finally enjoy this amazing game. And a very difficult one if you're going for the plat. I know it very well by now so if you need any tips just hit me up. Good luck!

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
dd2-modding-ontheway-1080.jpg

Hello everyone!

We’re happy to announce that PC modding support for Darkest Dungeon II is nearing its first deployment. Modding has been an instrumental part of the Darkest Dungeon community for many years, and it's something that we have been passionate about supporting with Darkest Dungeon II for some time.

The reality is that with DD2’s adoption of a new engine, modding and mod support has required quite a bit more complicated work to enable, as compared to the first game.

Our plan is therefore to release mod support in incremental stages, with each update building upon the last. We believe getting access to some modding capabilities sooner is better than waiting for a fully finished modding experience that would take significantly longer to deliver. This staged work will allow our team to receive feedback that will help determine direction of future mod support initiatives, while also allowing us to balance the effort to our other key releases coming later this year, specifically consoles and Kingdoms!

With that in mind, we are hoping to release our first PC modding update sometime before the end of June. (We will let you know if this timeline changes.) This first update will tackle the initial mod loading/overwriting logic and Steam workshop integration. These core capabilities will enable modders to edit any of the exposed .csv files (which contain the vast majority of numerical gameplay values) and then structure those changes as Steam workshop packages. Content-wise, it will be possible to create custom items from scratch (trinkets, combat items, inn items, stagecoach equipment) and also new hero palettes.

Red Hook is interested in extending mod capabilities all the way to enabling the creation of custom characters, and we plan to work closely with our modding community to develop the necessary tools. It will simply take some time to get there.

2024 is shaping up to be a really exciting year for Darkest Dungeon II, and we can’t wait to experience it with you! Stay tuned, we’ll be dropping more details on this modding update closer to release.

Zheph

I quite enjoy DDII and the new changes it comes with. It might work better on consoles as well because the first one is a chore on it imo.

I got the early access that was exclusive to Epic Store, I wonder if mods will be as easy to get on it.

Bartski

Gold Member
dd2-modding-ontheway-1080.jpg

Hello everyone!

We’re happy to announce that PC modding support for Darkest Dungeon II is nearing its first deployment. Modding has been an instrumental part of the Darkest Dungeon community for many years, and it's something that we have been passionate about supporting with Darkest Dungeon II for some time.

The reality is that with DD2’s adoption of a new engine, modding and mod support has required quite a bit more complicated work to enable, as compared to the first game.

Our plan is therefore to release mod support in incremental stages, with each update building upon the last. We believe getting access to some modding capabilities sooner is better than waiting for a fully finished modding experience that would take significantly longer to deliver. This staged work will allow our team to receive feedback that will help determine direction of future mod support initiatives, while also allowing us to balance the effort to our other key releases coming later this year, specifically consoles and Kingdoms!

With that in mind, we are hoping to release our first PC modding update sometime before the end of June. (We will let you know if this timeline changes.) This first update will tackle the initial mod loading/overwriting logic and Steam workshop integration. These core capabilities will enable modders to edit any of the exposed .csv files (which contain the vast majority of numerical gameplay values) and then structure those changes as Steam workshop packages. Content-wise, it will be possible to create custom items from scratch (trinkets, combat items, inn items, stagecoach equipment) and also new hero palettes.

Red Hook is interested in extending mod capabilities all the way to enabling the creation of custom characters, and we plan to work closely with our modding community to develop the necessary tools. It will simply take some time to get there.

2024 is shaping up to be a really exciting year for Darkest Dungeon II, and we can’t wait to experience it with you! Stay tuned, we’ll be dropping more details on this modding update closer to release.

Very interesting. I imagine modding in a character must be orders of magnitude more complex than throwing a bunch of sprites together in DD1... One of the very few games I'm actually playing on PC so I'll be all over this

Bartski

Gold Member
I quite enjoy DDII and the new changes it comes with. It might work better on consoles as well because the first one is a chore on it imo.

I got the early access that was exclusive to Epic Store, I wonder if mods will be as easy to get on it.
I did play tons of early access as well, game has gone a long way and the next update is looking sick... I loved DD1 but I never finished it, one of the very few games I find legit too punishing. Perhaps one day...

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

I wonder if mods will be as easy to get on it.
Very interesting. I imagine modding in a character must be orders of magnitude more complex than throwing a bunch of sprites together in DD1... One of the very few games I'm actually playing on PC so I'll be all over this

It could also help them with future iterations or development for other games as to take inspiration from what the community will modify. Always cool to see something like this being integrated from the developers side.

I mostly wonder if we will get access to modifications on consoles. Not to develop any but to play them as it is overall very uncommon. Teardown featured mods on release for consoles and added more after with patches. GSC is also looking to do the same with a patch for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R Legend of the Zone Edition later this year where PC developed mods will be available on consoles. There is hope, i don't expect any, fingers crossed.

amigastar

I have Darkest Dungeon 1 in my Steam Library but never really played it. Is DD2 a worthy successor or should i just play DD1?

Bartski

Gold Member
I have Darkest Dungeon 1 in my Steam Library but never really played it. Is DD2 a worthy successor or should i just play DD1?
it's a completely different game so it all depends what you're looking for. Both are great but DD2 is a roguelite and way less taxing than DD1 where you can be on a 30h + long run and fail it by chance.

amigastar

it's a completely different game so it all depends what you're looking for. Both are great but DD2 is a roguelite and way less taxing than DD1 where you can be on a 30h + long run and fail it by chance.
Really? Did not think that. I thought it was a continuation of the first game. Well it's probably good they differ so much, different flavours.

Bartski

Gold Member
I was hoping for this to drop together with "Kingdoms" but it seems it could be much further out... no release date yet

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

I was hoping for this to drop together with "Kingdoms" but it seems it could be much further out... no release date yet
The focus must lie on launching the game on three additional platforms simultaneously. Making sure everything is working as intended I believe they'll quickly follow up with Kingdoms.

Why can’t I remove corpses, boooooo. Visuals and sound are freaking amazing, I could listen to Wayne reading a phone book.
Seems pretty structurally different from the first game, not in a bad way though. Tutorial doesn’t do the greatest job, but the game seems to ease you in at least. The first one was brutal, especially at release before they tweaked it.

Is “Kingdoms” an expansion, or a new game from Red Hook?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Wow, just completed my first run on only my 3rd attempt, good times. Still getting my head around all the new mechanics, think I prefer the structure of the first game overall but it's still early, let's see how I feel after a few dozen hours in the darkness 👌

Edit: and the funny thing about the run is how fucked I was by constant Meltdowns (not a single Resolve) and all my party members hating each other by the time I reached the Mountain, no positive relationships lol.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I'm fully in this game's dark embrace, hours fly by as light dwindles and blood spills, it's so damn good. Some thoughts:

Change in structure was a bold move. The Hamlet in the first game gave a permanent sense of place and the flow of gameplay gave a clearer sense of progression. Everything here is transient, a rag-tag group of unlikely heroes rushing headlong into a ruined, unmoored world. Though I think I still prefer the style of it's predecessor there is no doubt DD2 presentation is compelling and it's journey fraught with even more peril.

With this decidedly Rogue-like adventure come changes big and small. Your heroes feel much more throwaway lacking a unique identity though the new Memory system allows for some semblance of persistence. Trinkets undergo a big change too in that they are no longer permanent items to customize a character to your liking but rather situational artifacts that you can build around each run. One positive with this is never having to worry about losing them if your party is wiped out which ironically enough means *less* stress as a whole. I've gotten used to it now and quite like the change.

Combo attacks, relationship dynamics and your trusty carriage are all major new additions to shake things up. While it took a few hours to adjust I quite like these mechanics now, there is a depth to everything that adds another layer of strategy to what is already a nuanced game. Sure, 9 times out of 10 your party members will form negative relationships but those precious few times it goes in the right direction the effects are impactful. When one of your attacks *heals* the other party member every time you use it or your party member swooping in with a slick looking counter when their partner is attacked, it's all fantastic stuff.

Visuals have undergone a change too and by God, these 3D character models and their lavish animations are absolutely gorgeous! Emotive, bold, kinetic, brooding, every action you take in this game has a visual flair and attention to detail I'm enamored with. Seeing my Gravedigger do her Pickaxe To The Face then sticking said pickaxe in the ground, sparks flying, to slow her retreat never gets old. The menagerie of horrific creatures is no different, there is some truly inspired, eldritch design here.

I'm sure I'll have more to add as the days go by, the narrative is already leagues better and the exceptional narrator returns. Character stories deserve a lot of praise (I've already completed the Hellion!), Inn mechanics are cool, there is a lot of game to chew through, I've only just scratched the surface, more people should be talking about and playing this game though I guess it's one of those titles that separates the wheat from the chaff, not for the faint of heart.

Bartski

Gold Member
With this decidedly Rogue-like adventure come changes big and small. Your heroes feel much more throwaway lacking a unique identity though the new Memory system allows for some semblance of persistence.
Also shrines of reflection unlocking hero stories = permanent unlocking essential skills. Memory system adds buffs that despite looking low vallue on the surface you can really feel while playing. A team with great path synergy, applied memories and locked quirks really makes a huge difference.

On that note avoid quirks that negatively hit affinity (ex. curmudgeon) like plague - conflicts shit up you key abilities which is a disaster in later chapters.

There is a lot of great meta progression, I'd suggest spending candles in the altair of hope to unlock different hero paths first as they completely change how a character plays and how their skills work - tip always check how skill description has changed as that is often described in a very vague way in the hero path box - imo Red hook could have done a better job there but maybe discovering it by the player was the goal.

Again I think the single most imortant thing to understand about the game is how damage over time works so you avoud "wasting" damage.

Good luck!

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Also shrines of reflection unlocking hero stories = permanent unlocking essential skills.

Most definitely 👍

There is a lot of great meta progression, I'd suggest spending candles in the altair of hope to unlock different hero paths first as they completely change how a character plays and how their skills work

I don't know if I have that option yet but I'll keep it in mind. One of the best things I've unlocked thus far is Stale Bread at the Inn, gives a shopping 20% to max HP. I'm on a run now where my Leper has 10% max HP from memory, load him up on bread at every Inn, trinket that gives an additional 20%, I've created a monster tank 👌

I much prefer the new game structure to the first game. With each run being a clean slate and the stacking unlockable bonuses that you can get with the candles, I feel like I’m actually making progress with each run.
In the first game you’d get avalanches of negative status effects and have to spend tons of time/resources removing them which would also require having multiple rotating teams to build up. It felt like way too much of a slog.
Graphics, writing, atmosphere, sounds etc, all that shit is on point with Wayne’s narration being the cherry on top.

Great game, improves upon the first in all the right ways for me.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Finally found some time to dig into this game and i'm enjoying myself to great extend. I was surprised by how quickly the moment to moment gameplay flows with no real bloat or filler. Time flies here as you're dragged into this maddening and eerie world with gripping presentation.

A lot to digest and comprehend early on. It felt like these big RPG's where you are just lost in the first hours of play. It's also where the satisfaction comes from when you start to put together the pieces and get lucky with the RNG. Always on the edge of hope and being curb stomped. Meta progression is also meaningful were it feels you can tailor the experience to your liking. This will certainly bring me joy and keep me hooked throughout the rest of the year.

A complaint would go out to the menu navigation on consoles. It's not outright bad and you get used to it but there clearly hasn't been put much thought into it either. Some shortcuts would go a long way to making this much more accessible. On top the R3 menu's or the map don't automatically disappear when you enter other tab's, making for a weird overlay where you have to back out and close it yourself. Not deal breakers but something i hope will be patched in the future.

I still don't understand how i can safe and reuse a hero for a later playthrough. Must be tied to a building i haven't visited.

It is rare when a sequel improves on almost every aspect of the original but I think Red Hook really nailed it here.
It is difficult, but not crushingly so like its predecessor. The meta progression always lets you feel like you are making progress. In the first game there were times where I would put in a few hours and left the session making actual negative progress instead of accomplishing anything.
I’d like some interface improvements and a few more character classes, but these are small nitpicks in an otherwise great game.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
That feeling when you hit the jackpot:

GGBNGjO.jpeg

My first real chance at clearing the Resentment difficulty. Got close a couple of times but decided to take on Lair Bosses and got smoked lol. I now focus a ton of building positive relationships with Stagecoach gear and Inn items, it makes a *huge* difference in battles.

I'm nearing 30 hours and still haven't seen the Bounty Hunter once, this is - by far - one of the most boneheaded design decisions I've ever seen in a game. Sure it's cute thematically but fuck off, let me use the God damn character whenever I want. Morherfucker better be worth the annoyance once I finally find him, I enjoyed using him in the first game.

Lair trophies can absolutely make the difference between a successful/failed run. I started this run wanting to focus on stacking bleed effects with my Hellion and Jester. Took on the Leviathan in region 1, smoked him, trophy gives 100% boost to bleed so my Hellion skill usually hitting for 6 bleed now does 12, stack that up with Jester bleed skills and you get the picture, have trinkets that further boost crit etc too.

I don't know if this is easier than the first game, it may even be a lot harder in some respects. Either way I'm having a blast though I shudder to think what Act V will be like when after 30 hours I haven't even cleared Act II lol.

Bartski

Gold Member
That feeling when you hit the jackpot:

GGBNGjO.jpeg

My first real chance at clearing the Resentment difficulty. Got close a couple of times but decided to take on Lair Bosses and got smoked lol. I now focus a ton of building positive relationships with Stagecoach gear and Inn items, it makes a *huge* difference in battles.

I'm nearing 30 hours and still haven't seen the Bounty Hunter once, this is - by far - one of the most boneheaded design decisions I've ever seen in a game. Sure it's cute thematically but fuck off, let me use the God damn character whenever I want. Morherfucker better be worth the annoyance once I finally find him, I enjoyed using him in the first game.

Lair trophies can absolutely make the difference between a successful/failed run. I started this run wanting to focus on stacking bleed effects with my Hellion and Jester. Took on the Leviathan in region 1, smoked him, trophy gives 100% boost to bleed so my Hellion skill usually hitting for 6 bleed now does 12, stack that up with Jester bleed skills and you get the picture, have trinkets that further boost crit etc too.

I don't know if this is easier than the first game, it may even be a lot harder in some respects. Either way I'm having a blast though I shudder to think what Act V will be like when after 30 hours I haven't even cleared Act II lol.
30hs into second chapter sounds about right. Make sure you have some serious back row damage at the boss.

Difficulty wise, the main difference is success in Dd2 depends way less on RNG, while you do have plenty of tokens with % chance - most moves have a 100% outcome and its way more about planning, sequencing and doing elementary school math. In a way it’s harder, but its less punishing than Dd1

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Thought I had it in the bag, even got a trophy for making it to the Mountain with a full party with all positive relationships:

zNbZwB4.jpeg

All party members boosted with various Inn items including HP, Resistances and Token procs, legendary trinkets coming out the wazoo. Yet all this made no difference when I was met by the cheapest boss ever made lmao. Seriously, this Lovecraftian abomination can fuck right off 😂 Oh well, funny thing is I got more candles than any other previous successful run so I guess I can't be *too* mad, the journey continues.

Bartski

Gold Member
Thought I had it in the bag, even got a trophy for making it to the Mountain with a full party with all positive relationships:

zNbZwB4.jpeg

All party members boosted with various Inn items including HP, Resistances and Token procs, legendary trinkets coming out the wazoo. Yet all this made no difference when I was met by the cheapest boss ever made lmao. Seriously, this Lovecraftian abomination can fuck right off 😂 Oh well, funny thing is I got more candles than any other previous successful run so I guess I can't be *too* mad, the journey continues.
This fight is all about stopping the nuke by breaking lung inflate tokens, damage levels are 12 front and 9 back. Every boss has a trick to figure out and if you're playing blind you're more than likely getting wiped at your first go.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Make sure you have some serious back row damage at the boss.

This fight is all about stopping the nuke by breaking lung inflate tokens, damage levels are 12 front and 9 back. Every boss has a trick to figure out and if you're playing blind you're more than likely getting wiped at your first go.

Oh I know, that wasn't hard to figure out but when it started doing double and I only managed to reset 1 the attack pretty much brought everyone to Death's Door. Now you start healing and it does it again. Now you ignore healing and one by one they fall. Need to come back with a party of Highwayman and Gravedigger for ranged attacks 👌

Bartski

Gold Member
Looking forward to everyone's reaction when you reach chapter 3 boss. Since early access, that thing was heavily nerfed twice and then just reworked as it was almost impossible to beat without a very specific team setup.

Looking forward to everyone's reaction when you reach chapter 3 boss. Since early access, that thing was heavily nerfed twice and then just reworked as it was almost impossible to beat without a very specific team setup.

Right now I’m just farming level one runs for candles so I can get most of the unlocks. I haven’t even beaten the level 2 boss yet, the jump in run difficulty from 1 to 2 is pretty big I can only imagine levels 3 and up.
Managing the relationships seems impossible sometimes, and having them botched can really kill a run. I seem to live or die on the random luck of what trinkets I pick up.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Hoo boy that was quite something, 2nd attempt at this boss and I got it done:

What a battle. I realized that once I got it's health down to a third I wouldn't be able to continue hitting both weak spots while also causing DMG and heal myself. My Vestal - buffed with Stained trinkets at 90 HP and set up as a support unit - was the first to fall, then there were three...

Ultimately kept chipping away with status ailments and survived Deathblow after Deathblow to emerge out of the darkness victorious, God bless this team lol. A few observations I made during this run:

- Flapjacks are king, guaranteed to have all your units boosted by 20% HP every single region, added benefit of not having to spend money on food

- stagecoach item that produces whiskey is another essential as are all Inn items that boost relationships, prioritize these over combat items, I now consistently get positive relationship boosts every single run

- in relation to the above, Wolf Cub still my favourite critter of the five I've unlocked, experimented with the rest and didn't find much utility, maybe that will change over time

- Leper's Tempest path is beast mode when boosted further with Trinkets/Skill buffs. I was routinely 1-shotting enemies through the run

- should be obvious but stacking multiple status ailments can be the difference between victory and defeat

I know I'm forgetting stuff but I want to shout out this trinket before I go:

o3o5EKm.jpeg

Started my difficulty 3 run immediately after beating the boss. Was midway through the Tangle when 2 of my party fell in battle, my Hellion Ravager just turned into a demigod. Beat the lair boss, get within a couple of battles of the Inn, other party member falls, Hellion turns into a GOD, she gets to the Inn all alone with the remains of all three fallen comrades in tow, it's a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Wow, no one is playing this gem huh? Apologies for the double post then, an update on my journey:

I've been juggling DD2 with Path of the Goddess and Jeanne D'Arc. All three games compliment each other quite well and all are focused on strategic combat. I'm finding taking breaks with DD2 runs with these two games is the perfect way to play DD2, it can be way too stressful otherwise lol.

Well, I've got news, I beat it on my first attempt:

To be clear, I never use guides on my first playthrough of a game (in DD2 that would mean clearing all 5 Acts), all 100% blind so I have no idea what the magical party composition is but it would be bad game design if a boss could only be beaten with a specific team. Now, I actually made it to this boss once before but I was down to a party of 2, died first phase, had no idea there was even a second phase.

This time I arrived with a full party: Vestal (standard), Plague Doc (surgeon, so good), Highwayman (Rogue) Leper (Tempest). First half of the fight Vestal and Surgeon were targeted, this suited me just fine as I could keep healing with them both, focus on DMG with my frontline. Eventually they both fell and my Leper was targeted next. Furthermore, I fucked myself over with a Stained trinket (these things need clearer descriptions) so that I was doing ZERO DMG. But I had a secret weapon: positive relationship boost!

Chop added dodge to my Highwayman, Point Blank Shot added dodge to my Leper. Now I've got a back and forth rhythm with Dueslists Advance also adding invaluable riposte, Leper chop, Point Black Shot. Leper at Death's Door, self-heal for 50% HP, all I needed to make it through the rest of the battle to victory!

In other news I met our old friend The Collector, smoked him. Met Death, smoked him. Got 2 new pets that are super powerful and highly recommended. One heals you for destroying corpses (everyone gets the Gravediggers skill!), the other adds a permanent 3% DMG boost for that battle EACH TIME a character is moved around. Well there are plenty of enemies that shuffle you but combine that with mobile classes like Jester, Highwayman etc and you quickly realize the potential for crazy DMG boosts.

I will end this post by saying I've finally gotten the Bounty Hunter (2x) and he is indeed the ultimate badass, so fucking dumb that you can't just use him whenever. Interesting thing happens when you try to use a Shrine of Reflection with him...

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Wow, no one is playing this gem huh? Apologies for the double post then, an update on my journey:

I've been juggling DD2 with Path of the Goddess and Jeanne D'Arc. All three games compliment each other quite well and all are focused on strategic combat. I'm finding taking breaks with DD2 runs with these two games is the perfect way to play DD2, it can be way too stressful otherwise lol.

Well, I've got news, I beat it on my first attempt:

To be clear, I never use guides on my first playthrough of a game (in DD2 that would mean clearing all 5 Acts), all 100% blind so I have no idea what the magical party composition is but it would be bad game design if a boss could only be beaten with a specific team. Now, I actually made it to this boss once before but I was down to a party of 2, died first phase, had no idea there was even a second phase.

This time I arrived with a full party: Vestal (standard), Plague Doc (surgeon, so good), Highwayman (Rogue) Leper (Tempest). First half of the fight Vestal and Surgeon were targeted, this suited me just fine as I could keep healing with them both, focus on DMG with my frontline. Eventually they both fell and my Leper was targeted next. Furthermore, I fucked myself over with a Stained trinket (these things need clearer descriptions) so that I was doing ZERO DMG. But I had a secret weapon: positive relationship boost!

Chop added dodge to my Highwayman, Point Blank Shot added dodge to my Leper. Now I've got a back and forth rhythm with Dueslists Advance also adding invaluable riposte, Leper chop, Point Black Shot. Leper at Death's Door, self-heal for 50% HP, all I needed to make it through the rest of the battle to victory!

In other news I met our old friend The Collector, smoked him. Met Death, smoked him. Got 2 new pets that are super powerful and highly recommended. One heals you for destroying corpses (everyone gets the Gravediggers skill!), the other adds a permanent 3% DMG boost for that battle EACH TIME a character is moved around. Well there are plenty of enemies that shuffle you but combine that with mobile classes like Jester, Highwayman etc and you quickly realize the potential for crazy DMG boosts.

I will end this post by saying I've finally gotten the Bounty Hunter (2x) and he is indeed the ultimate badass, so fucking dumb that you can't just use him whenever. Interesting thing happens when you try to use a Shrine of Reflection with him...

Nice one congrats. Earlier versions of this boss were busted sinice you had to run the heaviest frontline tank with ways to pull all the aggro in phase 1 (Lepper or Man at Arms + breacher or a ton of noisemakers for taunt) or you were screwed, while now it seems more lenient and so much more fun.

Also, using a "dancing party" is a lot of fun but IMO that just adds too many variables and more ways things can go wrong, gotta pay extra close attention to everyone's speed and your shuffle setup sequence can go to shit real fast against soome enemies, I love the jester but my "A team" is stationary as I find it easier and less risky.

Good luck on Ch4!

Last edited:
Sheeeit, I’m STILL farming runs for unlocks, but I’ve got a lot of stuff opened up. Think I said it earlier in the thread, but I found the jump from level 1 to 2 quite steep, I can’t even regularly reach the boss, let alone beat it yet.
I am slowly getting better though. The emphasis on team relationships is HUGE, positive ones can save your ass and negative ones can tank a run. The trinket rng is another big one, there are a few that can really put a finger on the scale in your favor.

I should probably vary my team a lot more. I usually run a Hellion, Crusader, Grave Robber, and Plague Doctor in that order.
I’m not a big fan of characters with a lot of movement skills, so those tend to get way underutilized. I still haven’t seen the Bounty Hunter at all since unlocking him.

Fuckin goddamn Shambler, a run ender every fuggin time. The one fight I’ve faced so far that I feel necessitates a mobile party, otherwise you spend all your turns rearranging your dudes after he swaps them up.
I REALLY wish you could equip more than 5 skills at a time.

Bartski

Gold Member
I’m not a big fan of characters with a lot of movement skills, so those tend to get way underutilized.
yeah it's great fun but a bit too complicated for me. I did plenty of runs trying to push it overboard, like 4. Graverobber 3. Jester 2. Runaway 1. Duelist... but to no great success.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I had the craziest Act 4 run last night. One member falls in Region 1, recruit at inn. Two members fall in region 2, somehow make it to the inn, recruit 2 more including Hellion. I start region 3 but forget to put Hellion in position 1 pre-battle and guess who shows up: the Collector. OK, I make it through, HP thoroughly depleted on everyone. I'm met with a roadblock up ahead, kill the enemies and guess who shows up: Death. I couldn't make this stuff up lol. Two members fall, I survive with my Hellion and Flagellant and make it to the Inn against all odds (this was in the Sluice I should add).

Final region before Mountain, two members fall on the way there, I make it all the way to the Oblivion battle but couldn't push through, got the beasts life down to about 40% but my Hellion and Flagellant couldn't take all the Death Blows. Had I made it to the Inn I think I would have depleted the entire roster of heroes lol. Speaking of heroes, where the hell is my Houndmaster? One if my faves from the first game, along with Crusader who is now locked behind DLC and Bounty Hunter who is locked behind RNG bullshit.

One interesting observation from this failed run, recruiting new members means your relationship status is reset to neutral, actually benefitted me on each successive region after using a couple of Inn boosts pre-departure to push towards positive. Stress accumulation is much more pronounced on later acts = increased meltdown = increased negative relationships. I think I inadvertently stumbled upon a tactic to counter that, taking fallen remains back to the Inn will give you precious mastery points too!

Edit: one thing I'll add, I play ALL characters in all different kinds of combinations, great way to discover synergies you never even thought of and keeps everything fresh 👌

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but man, as a huge fan of the first game, I was so disappointed when we learned how DD2 was going to be structured as a roguelike. I remember being unbelievably excited at the reveal trailer with Wayne June ("... the flame"). Then later they described how the game would have a completely different style of progression from the original and all of my excitement dissipated.

I loved the campaign of the original, the sensation of being on a long, arduous expedition to meticulously clear out the Hamlet and surrounding environs and finally face the ultimate evil at the heart of it. I loved seeing your heroes develop over the course of months and years - getting one to rank 6 felt like a great accomplishment, losing one felt equally as crushing. From my time in the demo and reading Steam reviews, I get the impression that everything in this sequel feels ... impermanent. Yeah, the heroes have their backstories fleshed out, but they're more like fleeting apparitions than proper members of your band. You select four of them to fill up the stagecoach, fight through two regions, then go face the boss on the Mountain where you'll probably get wiped out, forcing you to start from scratch at the beginning with four new cogs, grinding your way through the same path until you can finally beat the boss ... then go through the same repetitive cycle for four more acts! Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this, but there's no "stable" of heroes that you can rotate between action and downtime, no possibility of having more than one of the same character in a party (RIP four-man Crusader teams), trinkets aren't retained but rather randomized with each new attempt, likewise for stagecoach upgrades, and ultimately your chance of success on any given run seems to come down in large part to how lucky you get with trinket drops and hero relationships. A lot of what made the first game special in my eyes seems to be missing in the follow up.

And yet in spite of all that, I can't keep DD2 out of my mind, it's always tugging at me, trying to get me to take a chance on it. It does look like the perfect sort of game to play during the atmospheric late fall or winter seasons, so maybe I'll end up giving it a shot later this year. I just hate the thought of feeling regret that I wasted my time, against my better judgment, on something that doesn't measure up to its predecessor.

Bartski

Gold Member
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but man, as a huge fan of the first game, I was so disappointed when we learned how DD2 was going to be structured as a roguelike. I remember being unbelievably excited at the reveal trailer with Wayne June ("... the flame"). Then later they described how the game would have a completely different style of progression from the original and all of my excitement dissipated.

I loved the campaign of the original, the sensation of being on a long, arduous expedition to meticulously clear out the Hamlet and surrounding environs and finally face the ultimate evil at the heart of it. I loved seeing your heroes develop over the course of months and years - getting one to rank 6 felt like a great accomplishment, losing one felt equally as crushing. From my time in the demo and reading Steam reviews, I get the impression that everything in this sequel feels ... impermanent. Yeah, the heroes have their backstories fleshed out, but they're more like fleeting apparitions than proper members of your band. You select four of them to fill up the stagecoach, fight through two regions, then go face the boss on the Mountain where you'll probably get wiped out, forcing you to start from scratch at the beginning with four new cogs, grinding your way through the same path until you can finally beat the boss ... then go through the same repetitive cycle for four more acts! Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this, but there's no "stable" of heroes that you can rotate between action and downtime, no possibility of having more than one of the same character in a party (RIP four-man Crusader teams), trinkets aren't retained but rather randomized with each new attempt, likewise for stagecoach upgrades, and ultimately your chance of success on any given run seems to come down in large part to how lucky you get with trinket drops and hero relationships. A lot of what made the first game special in my eyes seems to be missing in the follow up.

And yet in spite of all that, I can't keep DD2 out of my mind, it's always tugging at me, trying to get me to take a chance on it. It does look like the perfect sort of game to play during the atmospheric late fall or winter seasons, so maybe I'll end up giving it a shot later this year. I just hate the thought of feeling regret that I wasted my time, against my better judgment, on something that doesn't measure up to its predecessor.
I see how this could be an impression after couple of runs of the demo. Game has a meta progression system in between runs (altar of hope) and characters become stronger and valuable as they start surviving chapter end boss fights, locking the right quirks and adding memory buffs which is how you get through later acts. There is no "downtime" except the inn and while you can't duplicate characters - here synergies go so much deeper multiplied by different hero classes that can radically change the way a character works. Also, your success actually depends way less on luck as in DD1, and way more on how well you understand the game. There is just way less RNG in the combat mechanics and it all feels way more strategic and "fair" imo.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
lol, Act 4 boss cleared on my 1st attempt:

Funny thing is this was the first time I used this party combination and the first time I used THREE unlocked character paths. Can honestly say this was the easiest boss thus far, kind of felt *too* easy👌

Bartski

Gold Member
lol, Act 4 boss cleared on my 1st attempt:

Funny thing is this was the first time I used this party combination and the first time I used THREE unlocked character paths. Can honestly say this was the easiest boss thus far, kind of felt *too* easy👌

Nice. I don't run Vestal but when I do divine intervention is a nice team death door cheat - since heal triggers before damage over time it's a way to keep everyone under heavy DoT keep re-entering death door instead of getting killed.

Also, Flagellant is GOAT OP. He's in my Grand Slam team, just needs something against relationship damage and obviously you run the risk of meeting Death, totally worth it.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Made it to the Act V boss last night, first two phases were a cakewalk, no problem whatsoever. Then we get to phase 3... what the fuck is this ungodly health pool? And it seems if you're on Death's Door it's impossible to survive a Deathblow? Not a fan lol

Bartski

Gold Member
I decided to do a few runs over the weekend, and now I'm hooked again.

I know I haven't played since Christmas because I haven't seen the big January update yet - they completely reworked the Graverobber and Highwayman, where the latter is in of my main team. At first, I was devastated to see how they nerfed Double Tap, which was the number one skill to upgrade at the first inn next to Man-at-Arms' Retribution. But after blasting through Chapter 5 with the easy mode torch, I've concluded they made the Sharpshoot path even more powerful for back-row nukes versus front-row execution, so it's a fair trade.

One of the final achievements I'm missing is "Hard Mode," which is Chapter 5 with Stygian Blaze. Apparently, it’s not the hardest torch to use after the last update, but it feels close to impossible with my throwaway team, which I like a lot (Occultist/Vestal/Crusader/Leper) despite being more of an experimental no-DoT setup. What Stygian Blaze does is give Ordained enemies insane damage buffs - foot soldiers in the Tangle hit for 20-25 damage with 30+ crit, like WTF. Must be done as avoiding combat means a poor trinket loadout. The final boss should be doable as it works the same, but the Stygian Ordained Exemplar (the region 3 final miniboss) is something else.

Bartski

Gold Member

Mods are here for PC! Looking dope

Does anyone know if it's possible to have two instances of the game installed somehow? I play on STEAM but also have the EGS early access copy, I'd love to check this update out but I don't want to install the beta branch over my regular profile save

also,

The Vanguard Path has been reworked to expand its combat options in ways better suited to the Path's theme of sacrificing defense for offense

• Vanguard no longer grants +20% HP
  • Vanguard no longer penalizes Bleed/Blight/Burn RES by 20%
  • This Path no longer affects Crush
  • Courageous Abandon and Courageous Abandon+ launch ranks changed from 1 to 1 2
  • Courageous Abandon and Courageous Abandon+ target ranks increased from 1 to 1 2
  • Courageous Abandon and Courageous Abandon+ no longer pierce Block
  • Courageous Abandon and Courageous Abandon+ do not gain +DMG bonuses from Block tokens on this Path
  • Courageous Abandon and Courageous Abandon+ do not remove or prevent the MAA from acquiring Block tokens on this Path
  • Courageous Abandon and Courageous Abandon+ base DMG adjusted to 4-6
  • Courageous Abandon CRIT chance reduced from 10% to 5%
  • Courageous Abandon+ CRIT chance reduced from 20% to 15%
  • Each use of Courageous Abandon increases the DMG of the skill by 2 for the remainder of the battle; this stacks up to 3 times
  • Each use of Courageous Abandon decreases the Vanguard's max HP by 6 for the remainder of the battle; this stacks up to 3 times
  • Each use of Courageous Abandon+ increases the DMG of the skill by 2 for the remainder of the battle; this stacks up to 5 times
  • Each use of Courageous Abandon+ decreases the Vanguard's max HP by 4 for the remainder of the battle; this stacks up to 5 times
  • Riposte DMG on this Path has been reset from 4-7 to its base value of 3-5
  • Each use of Riposte increases the DMG of the skill by 1 for the remainder of the battle; this stacks up to 5 times
  • Each use of Riposte reduces the Vanguard's Bleed/Blight/Burn RES by 8% for the remainder of the battle; this stacks up to 5 times
  • Bellow and Bellow+ are now self-target skills; all previous effects have been removed
  • Bellow and Bellow+ are no longer considered Ranged skills accordingly
  • Bellow and Bellow+ no longer have CRIT values
  • Bellow and Bellow+ apply 2 stack of the Courageous Abandon buff and debuff when used
  • Bellow and Bellow+ apply 2 stack of the Riposte buff and debuff when used
  • Bellow deals 2 point of Stress damage to the Man-at-Arms
  • Bellow+ deals 1 points of Stress damage to the Man-at-Arms
  • Bellow+ will suppress Courageous Abandon or Riposte debuffs for 4 turns if activated when the relevant debuff stack is at its limit
  • Buff/debuff stacks granted by Bellow will not exceed the stack limits determined by the individual skills (i.e. 3 stacks for Courageous Abandon, 5 stacks for Courageous Abandon+, 5 stacks for Riposte)
  • Bellow and Bellow+ will not grant any buff/debuff stacks for Courageous Abandon if the skill is not equipped. Riposte is always considered to be equipped.
  • Stand Fast and Stand Fast+ launch ranks increased from 1 2 to 1 2 3
  • Stand Fast cooldown increased from 2 to 3
  • Stand Fast+ cooldown increased from 1 to 3
  • Stand Fast and Stand Fast+ no longer generate Block or Taunt tokens
  • Stand Fast and Stand Fast+ now remove all Vanguard (Courageous Abandon, Riposte) buffs and debuffs when used
  • Stand Fast and Stand Fast+ now heal 10% for every 2 Vanguard buffs removed, to a maximum of 50% at 10 stacks (5x Courageous Abandon, 5x Riposte)
  • Stand Fast+ now heals 1 Stress for every 2 Vanguard debuffs removed, to a maximum of 5 (5x Courageous Abandon, 5x Riposte)

Last edited:
Top Bottom