• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

ZealousD said:
I'm not! They're the ones missing out! I can't understand how you could deprive yourself of such awesomeness!

Must be sick in the head or something.
I am just missing out on the privilege of spending $50 on a game and instead buying a pizza to eat while playing that game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lostconfused said:
I am just missing out on the privilege of spending $50 on a game and instead buying a pizza to eat while playing that game.

But then you have to give it back!

ZealousD

Lostconfused said:
By then I would have consumed everything that it might have held within, I am a hungering void, also thats why I am getting a pizza.

No going back for seconds?

ZealousD said:
No going back for seconds?
Its a tight month. I still have to finish my playthrough of max payne 2 then there is Bayonetta and a couple of games I got on steam. Then on 24th bad company 2 beta for pc starts and 2 days after that mass effect 2. Also if a PC version ever comes out I would like to own it on steam.

Edit: Oh did I mention dark void? Yeah dark void next week.

Lan_97

I love the shiny cover. I was going to wait to play it, but I couldn't resist. Wish my Amazon copy came with the comic and figure... :(

For those that have played or are playing, any good upgrade recommendations?

Tokubetsu

Lostconfused said:
Its a tight month. I still have to finish my playthrough of max payne 2 then there is Bayonetta and a couple of games I got on steam. Then on 24th bad company 2 beta for pc starts and 2 days after that mass effect 2. Also if a PC version ever comes out I would like to own it on steam.

Hey bro, this is DARKSIDERS okay?

bathala

Banned
Lostconfused said:

Lostconfused
I can make you pick a fight
With someone twice your size

Ristlager

I have got an unopened dragon age which I for some reason am not that keen to open. Thinking about trading it in with this game instead, as I am a much bigger fan of Zelda than baldurs gate. Is that a good choice? I do think dragon age should be played on a pc and not a ps3 due to controlling options. Am I to far out with my reasoning?

And how hard is hard in this game? Did Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and R&C on hard on my first play without to much problems (radec, well fuck you).

I activated gamefly on sunday night for the express purpose of renting darksiders and bayonetta. monday came and they didn't send me darksiders. I guess they didn't have enough for everyone and I'll have to wait a while.

sad face.

Q8D3vil

John Harker said:
Too many games!!

Darksiders or Bayonetta?
i finished bayonetta japan version
the gameplay was amazing , alot of moves
but i didnt like the character and the story ( except the main character body :p )

im playing darksiders on the other hand and the game is not polished like bayonetta but the characters , the art , the voice acting and the zelda stuff ( puzzles and platform ) adds a lot to the game

i can say that im enjoying it more than bayonetta

LAST : if you want a 60 fps game with alot of moves i suggest going with bayonetta first , if you want unique game that combine zelda and god war with interesting story and puzzles i'd say go with darksiders

Arde5643

Ristlager said:
I have got an unopened dragon age which I for some reason am not that keen to open. Thinking about trading it in with this game instead, as I am a much bigger fan of Zelda than baldurs gate. Is that a good choice? I do think dragon age should be played on a pc and not a ps3 due to controlling options. Am I to far out with my reasoning?

And how hard is hard in this game? Did Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and R&C on hard on my first play without to much problems (radec, well fuck you).
Just like your own conclusion - trade DA:O PS3 for Darksiders and just get DA:O on PC.

You get the best graphics and control for DA:O and you get the Darksiders version without the tearing issue.

The game is best played on hard if you want a bit of challenge (normal gets too button mashy easy), however you should go for apocalyptic if you want more of a GoW hard challenge.

Ristlager

Is there a thropy for the hardest difficulty? I usually play games only once, and I want to get as many thropies I can on that run. So if hard is enough, I generally go for hard.. Uncharted was an exeption, but that game is goty so far and totally worth a couple of plays.

It'll be here on Wednesday. Got the PS3 versionnn. Not gonna play Bayonetta until it gets fixed, which may be never for all I know.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Minamu said:
Anyone know if Gamestop Sweden have any trade-in deals on this? This & Bayonetta on the same day is hilarious :lol But honestly, from the few trailers I've seen from the preview section in the OP so far, it looks a lot better than I first thought. 2010 sleeper?

And how come the ps3 version has a higher metacritic score? nm, tearing.

hey ´man, they've got this trade-in deal where you trade in 2 games and get one of 10 games for free ( 1kr ) I traded in 4 extremely crappy games worth like 50kr each for bayonetta and darksiders.

Then the next day I went to SIBA and bought like 6 other crappy games for 99kr and preordered mass effect 2, bad company 2 and llost planet for a grand total of 3kr! :D::D

but obviously they have an excluded games list : http://www.gamestop.se/pdf/Exclusion_SE.pdf

As you can see there are quite the roster of games that you cant trade in, but believe me there are many many games still eligable :D

ps, you gotta do this as you preorder the game, last day is the day before the release so gogogo do it! Beat the system yo!

MacBosse

Corky said:
hey ´man, they've got this trade-in deal where you trade in 2 games and get one of 10 games for free ( 1kr ) I traded in 4 extremely crappy games worth like 50kr each for bayonetta and darksiders.

Then the next day I went to SIBA and bought like 6 other crappy games for 99kr and preordered mass effect 2, bad company 2 and llost planet for a grand total of 3kr! :D::D

but obviously they have an excluded games list : http://www.gamestop.se/pdf/Exclusion_SE.pdf

As you can see there are quite the roster of games that you cant trade in, but believe me there are many many games still eligable :D

ps, you gotta do this as you preorder the game, last day is the day before the release so gogogo do it! Beat the system yo!

Haha, good to see other Swedes doing this. Gamestop (and Game) in Sweden overprice so much yoy want to burn the store down.

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
Lots of reviews have been coming in over the past few days with some good scores! :)

For those in the US who have got their copy already how are you finding it?
The UK have to wait a few more days but if you live near London don't forget that Joe Mad will be at the Forbidden Planet Megastore on Thursday where you can get your copy early!

Also for the UK there's a chance to win a Limited Edition Darksiders Xbox360, check it out here.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MacBosse said:
Haha, good to see other Swedes doing this. Gamestop (and Game) in Sweden overprice so much yoy want to burn the store down.

amen, 100 USD MSRP for games makes me wanna choke a bitch :(

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
well seems like the opinions are mixed..im still gonna get it..from what ive heard and seen i think i'll have a good time with it

MMaRsu

MisterTHQ said:
Lots of reviews have been coming in over the past few days with some good scores! :)

The UK have to wait a few more days but if you live near London don't forget that Joe Mad will be at the Forbidden Planet Megastore on Thursday where you can get your copy early!

Also for the UK there's a chance to win a Limited Edition Darksiders Xbox360, check it out here.

Well I'm still in the first dungeon, went to sleep last night. I really really like it so far! I love the fact that this game has dungeons/puzzles and all that, I love that shit about Zelda. So to incorporate it in a 'mature' game is awesome.

So far the story is pretty badass too, and there's some humor here and there too :D.

KevinCow

Banned
Gr1mLock said:
well seems like the opinions are mixed..im still gonna get it..from what ive heard and seen i think i'll have a good time with it

Mixed? Huh? They seem almost completely positive to me, outside of the V-sync complaints.

itxaka

Defeatist
Ok, after playing more and more I gotta say the game is awesome. The dungeons are awesome and the battles are awesome too. I like how is not just battle and it's not just adventure but a mix of both that works really well.

Oh, and as I said before graphics aren't incredibly awesome but the art and locations made for it. The architecture look fucking nice.

Only thing I don't like is how some enemies does not show any feedback to your hits, make it seems like you are doing nothing to them. Oh, and health bars, there is none for enemies nor bosses. Some of them you can see it visually (a enemy with armour that loses it gradually) but the rest there is no way of knowing how much longer will they keep fighting.

BluWacky

MisterTHQ said:

Is it going to be £50 in Forbidden Planet like it is on their website do you know?

CAVE343

Holy crap! This is soo awesome! I was on the fence about this one because I normally HATE puzzles and stuff. I've beaten the recent Zelda games, but the puzzles drove me mad sometimes.
The fact that it's Joe Mad made me bought this game, and fortunately the puzzles so far are really cool, I have no trouble doing them. What a relief :)

I also love the combat, War just looks so badass, I love ripping through bad guys with Chaoseater. Can't wait till I get his gun. I just beat the first dungeon, and the pacing is really good; it has a nice mixture of adventuring and battle. You can see that a lot of stuff is borrowed from the Zelda games, but it's done really well.

I have the 360 version and the tearing is there but I don't mind it. The game has a great atmosphere and it looks great overall. The art is the strongest part imo.

Two weird things; I play inverted, and everytime I boot up the game it's revered to normal. Second is the continue option from the main menu; I have the feeling that it loads the most recent autosave, not my last save. Will check later. Long story short, I'm glad I picked this one up. (Got it the same day as Bayonetta, that one will have to wait :)

ps. I love you Joe Mad and the Darksiders dev team!

MMaRsu

Just finished the first dungeon.. AWESOME BOSS FIGHT WOOHOOOOOO

Thank you gaf <3 And the darksiders team ofcourse :D

Minamu

Corky said:

Thanks man, I tried calling them today to ask this very same thing but alas, no response. what games did you trade in for 50 sek? o_O I usually buy some used games for trading :lol They used to have a list of their offers on their website but they removed it in time for the Xmas sale, it seems. Feel a bit sorry for the devs though :(

MMaRsu

IMG_0141.jpg

Everybody can use this :)

Alright. 360 version here.

I started my game on the hardest setting last night. I started around 630 pm and stopped playing around 12:00. The game currently has me clocked at 5 hours. Ijust ran into the second main boss I beleive, but it looks like I'm just starting the second dungeon.

What are my thoughts? Bad ASS! Yes the tearing is there, and some minor framerate issues at times, but overall it hasn't kept from enjoying this one bit. At first the combat feels satisfying and then shortely after feels limited...until you start upgrading, and I highly suggest you save up for the scythe first. Its to combine the sword and it for some good damage. I've started to unlock more abilities and more moves and the combat continues to grow on me and get better and better. I truly feel that I'm getting more and more powerful! I like the feeling of getting better as I progress. The first dungeon was HUGE imo. Also one puzzle had me scratcing my head for a few minutes and when I figured it out I was so damn happy. I can say that hard mode is indeed hard at times. It doesn't feel cheap to me but it has handed my ass to me for sure. Though I've always been able to get myself out of the situation. Checkpoints are a plenty and so if you die, you simple restart with full heath. Not so bad.

I'd say the biggest issue so far I've had with the game is the camera. Its not that its bad but its gotten me in a stick predicament sometimes and I find that locking into a enemy isn't always the best way to fight when you have a mass of enemies around. :D

Overall I'm highly pleased with Darksiders and this is coming from someone who just completed Bayonetta the day before! (aside from the final boss fight which I did right before starting Darksiders.) Action adventure fans have a fantastic game ahead of them. I love the world and setting, and this game "feels" like a meaty game!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Woohoo! Picked up my copy about half an hour ago.
Now, if only the rest of the work day would fly by...

PS3 version came with TWO codes.
One for the Harvester, and the other... not too sure.
Any ideas?

El-Suave

Mejilan said:
PS3 version came with TWO codes.
One for the Harvester, and the other... not too sure.
Any ideas?

I've seen horse head hat costumes for Home at some online retailers.

I'm picking up my copy later tonight. Can't wait!

Denzar

Is that Harvester a weapon ?

'Cause I detest stuff that gives you an advantage because you pre-ordered a game.

Just bought it at the local Megastore.

Man I want to trust GAF on this. Sounds like Dragon Age is a AAA title according to GAF and a lot of media but I think it's a turd from the 15 hours I've put in.
I think I'm getting Darksiders tonight, tearing or no tearing.

MMaRsu

Deepack said:

'Cause I detest stuff that gives you an advantage because you pre-ordered a game.

Yes it's a weapon, but I don't think it's a stronger weapon kind of deal.

CitizenCope said:
Man I want to trust GAF on this. Sounds like Dragon Age is a AAA title according to GAF and a lot of media but I think it's a turd from the 15 hours I've put in.
I think I'm getting Darksiders tonight, tearing or no tearing.

I've put in about 15 hours in DA myself, and it's by no means a turd, but it's not THAT great either. Maybe on PC, but on 360? Nah.

Darksiders is much better.

Tokubetsu

MMaRsu said:
Yes it's a weapon, but I don't think it's a stronger weapon kind of deal.

I've put in about 15 hours in DA myself, and it's by no means a turd, but it's not THAT great either. Maybe on PC, but on 360? Nah.

Darksiders is much better.

DA is the best rpg released since The Witcher 2 years pior.

*Puts on PC Gaming Master Race T-shirt*

jrricky

Banned
I have been following videos and previews/reviews on this and now I want it. The comparisons to Zelda already sold me and it looks great. But I am going to have to wait till tax returns to jump in, already preordered and buying tatsu and NMH2 this month :/

ZealousD

Tokubetsu said:
*Puts on PC Gaming Master Race T-shirt*

You can't be part of the PC Gaming Master Race if you play console games, half-breed!

itxaka

Defeatist
MMaRsu said:
[IG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/jorgewisin_3000/IMG_0141.jpg[/IMG]

Everybody can use this :)

Ugh I had to buy it. Why didn't I get anything as extra, people are saying that the games come with codes and such for avatar outfits and such.

Anyone got a metro 2033 card with the game?

B.S.: I got the horse, fuckawesome. FUCKAWESOME.

ZealousD

Deepack said:

It's a reskin of the existing scythe with a bonus for collecting souls. The code to unlock it is universal, somebody just posted it on this page and the code is also in the OP.

Top Bottom