• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah the text and the video review make it sound more like a low-mid 8 game to me.

Jinaar

And purchased. Doing my part for Feb NPDs. Bought Bayonetta as well. Now to figure out how to not sleep for the next week and be able to function as a human being while playing both games somehow at the same time.

Chrange

Banned
mjc said:
It seems to me like the score doesn't mesh with the text, and his closing explanations for the score doesn't work IMO. He calls the voice acting professional but forgettable...and marks it down because of that. Oh well, can't please everyone.

I don't see any Darksiders ads. That'll teach THQ!

Honestly I just posted it for informational purposes. I trust their opinions about as far as I can toss a caber.

As if a 10 point scale wasn't bad enough, IGN has to bollocks it up either further with their stupid decimal points. Like, can anyone rationally explain to me the difference between a game getting a 7.8 and a 7.9? Ridiculous.

How this game could get anything lower then a 8 really boogles my mind! Its like stating you don't like awesome! And that reeks of non-awesomeness!

BrettWeir said:
X360 version stuttering and screen tearing are simply awful. Pretty upset with this purchase due to these reasons.

The screen tearing is worse in the begining. As for the stuttering, not sure on that bit. I haven;t had my game stutter all that much.

ok this is annoying, I just called gamestop to switch my preorder from 360 to PS3 based on ps3 better version talk earlier

edit from IGN head to head

Presentation

Here's where things get more interesting. There are a handful of noticeable differences between the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Darksiders. While both are good looking games, I can't clearly say one is without a doubt better than the other, and here's why. On Xbox 360, you get more vibrant colors and, in some cases, more detail, which is great considering how much skill Vigil displayed in crafting an cohesive and interesting art style and skillfully applying color to enhance the feel and tone of the world. What's less exciting to hear is that you'll fun into framerate issues from time to time and there's quite a bit of screen tearing, even in cases where you're simply walking and keeping the camera still, which can will noticeable and annoying. It's not going to ruin your play experience unless you're ultrasensitive to that kind of thing, but it will stand out.

With the PlayStation 3 version, the amount of screen tearing seems to be noticeably less. It's still present in some capacity, but to less of a degree than with the Xbox 360 version. Unfortunately, this comes along with an experience that isn't quite as smooth and a more subdued color palette. If you're playing only on PlayStation 3 this isn't something you're going to notice as much since it's still a fine looking product, but it's more obvious when you put both versions next to each other.

Basically, the Xbox 360 version looks better but has more screen tearing. There also doesn't seem to be an install for the PlayStation 3 version, whereas you can dump the Xbox 360 version onto your hard drive if you've got 6.6 GB of free space.

I say all this just so you know that when I list the Xbox 360 version as being the better one, I'm only doing so because it was prettier. If you detest screen tearing, I'd recommend you stick with the PlayStation 3 version.

1. Xbox 360
2. PlayStation 3

ZealousD

Subdued color is a rather standard difference for PS3 versions. In fact I think that's pretty much the de-facto difference in basically any PS3 version.

MMaRsu said:
Who reads kotaku's reviews?

Anyway there isn't MASSIVE screentearing, there is tearing indeed, but it's not that bad.
Plus they said they might fix it with a patch. Also tearing is non existent on ps3.

I can't recall having ever heard of a patch that outright fixed screen tearing. Maybe they can go the Saint's Row route and let the user chose between tearing and shitty framerate, but I guess the framerate is already shitty, so hey.

thinking about it, will keep as ps3 version as screen tearing does irritate me

from another page in their head to head...

Both versions have the same content for the same price, so the decision about which version to purchase comes down to what kind of visual experience you're willing to put up with. Do you pass on the PlayStation 3 version even though you know the Xbox 360 version has more vibrant visuals, or do you stick with the PlayStation 3 version because excessive screen tearing makes you want to launch bricks at seagulls? :lol

My choice is Xbox 360 because it's prettier, but I could totally understand somebody disagreeing.

ZealousD said:
Subdued color is a rather standard difference for PS3 versions. In fact I think that's pretty much the de-facto difference in basically any PS3 version.

Could this have anything to do with how they have a tv calibrated?

Xater

I've been playing this game since yesterday and I love it. I have actually more fun with it than with Bayonetta. I started on Apocalyptic right away because somebody mentioned that normal is kinda easy. I have to say though that some parts can be demanding.

ZealousD

TrAcEr_x90 said:

Not the TV so much, but I've heard you can calibrate the console to make it look better. As I've said, look at nearly any head-to-head between an XBOX 360 and PS3 game and you'll tend to see that the contrast isn't as good on the PS3 versions. I've heard this has something to do with the difference in their respective video cards.

Xater said:
I've been playing this game since yesterday and I love it. I have actually more fun with it than with Bayonetta. I started on Apocalyptic right away because somebody mentioned that normal is kinda easy. I have to say though that some parts can be demanding.

Yeah Apocalyptic is damn hard at moments. I don't know how far you are but in the first dungeon, the part where you fight two of those dudes with the swords and armor, AFTER having to fight a group of baddies beforehand was brutal. Took me a few tries. Also was scared to death in the boss fight of that place due to low health and not wanting to do that battle over. I was very very cautios! lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
TrAcEr_x90 said:
no, it's GPU differences. The story is the same on the PC when comparing AMD/ATi to Nvidia. On the PC it's a matter of preference, but in gaming because it's not really a choice (you either have one or the other on each system) the "less vibrant" one (aka PS3) is usually considered inferior.. Don't ask me why, but it is. IMHO it's about half and half. In some games the subdued colors work much better.. in other games it comes off as muddier. but as far as gaming head to heads go, usually the PS3 version will get knocked because of that inherent difference between the two GPUs.

taoofjord

Played a couple hours into it and am really enjoying it. The combat is simple but satisfying, the cutscenes and art-style of the crazier stuff in the game is outstanding (the first "crazy" place you go to in the game makes me PINE for a nextgen blizzard action/adventure game). The framerate and tearing is a bit annoying (360 version) and I'm not usually one to care about such things. But still, it's certainly not enough to ruin my experience.

One annoyance though... I put in the code to unlock the harvester scythe, bought it, and now I feel like I shouldn't have. I'm assuming you get this weapon later on in the game (anyone know how much later?) and it kinda sucks to know that I basically "cheated" to get it early. One of the best parts of zelda/metroid game is slowly unlocking the new gear and I feel like the code kinda messes with the pacing of the game. I'd suggest you guys skip the code until you already have the scythe (as the harvester unlockable is the same weapon except it gives you a bonus to the souls you get from slain enemies).

taoofjord said:
Played a couple hours into it and am really enjoying it. The combat is simple but satisfying, the cutscenes and art-style of the crazier stuff in the game is outstanding (the first "crazy" place you go to in the game makes me PINE for a nextgen blizzard action/adventure game). The framerate and tearing is a bit annoying (360 version) and I'm not usually one to care about such things. But still, it's certainly not enough to ruin my experience.

Quick question though... I put in the code to unlock the harvester scythe, bought it, and now I feel like I shouldn't have. I'm assuming you get this weapon later on in the game and it kinda sucks to know that I basically "cheated" to get it early. One of the best parts of zelda/metroid game is slowly unlocking the new gear and I feel like the code kinda messes with the pacing of the game. I'd suggest you guys skip the code until you already have the scythe (as the harvester unlockable is the same weapon except it gives you a bonus to the souls you get from slain enemies)

Well you can buy the scythe really as soon as you hit the first store in the game if you have the souls. Don't worry about it.

taoofjord

Ahhh okay, I thought you ended up getting it later on in some crazy boss fight with death (a la dante stealing his weapon from death in the demo)

taoofjord said:
Ahhh okay, I thought you ended up getting it later on in some crazy boss fight with death (a la dante stealing his weapon from death in the demo)

Nope! :D I had it before completed the first dungeon in the game! :D Your all good!

Canova

Banned
I don't understand why Bayonetta is more popular than this game.

The art style in Bayonetta is horrible, it's downright ugly. It's nothing but combo-galore, and we already have that in DMC series.

canova said:

The art style in Bayonetta is horrible, it's downright ugly. It's nothing but combo-galore, and we already have that in DMC series.

While I don't care for either game, I wouldn't call the art style in Darksiders to actually be good.....

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
canova said:

I read this thread because I am interested in the game, but as someone who made this exact choice:

1. art style is an opinion. I am sure plenty of people prefer Bayonetta's style to Joe Mad's.
2. unquestionably Bayonetta is a "technically" better looking game. more polys, more texture detail, etc. Darksiders is in no way bad looking, but without question Bayonetta looks "shinier".
3. The two parts of your second sentence are not mutually inclusive of each other. We already have games plenty like Darksiders as well. Maybe not as a whole, but surely the better elements can be found in other games. Similarities to one game doesn't prevent enjoyment of another in the same genre.

My choice came down to overall impressions and a tiny bit of pedigree. Darksiders has received very decent early reviews and great impressions from a new developer. Bayonetta has pretty much been pegged by reviews and impressions as the second coming of action games and given the director (Kamiya is the director of RE2, VJ, Okami, DMC, etc) it absolutely makes sense. None of this makes Darksiders inferior, just why I went with Bayonetta.

The real problem IMHO is the same problem a LOT of games are going to be facing over the next three months. There are a shitton of games dropping in the next 90 days and I guarantee you plenty of great ones will get passed by as a result. There will even be more than a few AAA bombs not due to quality but solely too much too fast. Hopefully Darksiders doesn't turn out to be one of those. Unfortunately for me, I probably won't even consider picking it up until sometime in February and even then there's aq few titles it has yet to compete with.

I do hope well for it.. and hope I have time to contribute to it soon.

edit - hell, even bayonetta has a reasonable chance of bombing given its closeness to the holiday season along with the huge games dropping in just a couple of weeks (Mass Effect 2, Army of Two, MAG, Bioshock, Dante, Dark Void, etc)

taoofjord

The more I play this game the more I like it. It's a little rough around the edges (completely understandable), but for the most part it's a fantastic experience. I'm extremely happy it turned out so well (and for the company's first game no less)... I look forward to what these guys make in the future.

Xater

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah Apocalyptic is damn hard at moments. I don't know how far you are but in the first dungeon, the part where you fight two of those dudes with the swords and armor, AFTER having to fight a group of baddies beforehand was brutal. Took me a few tries. Also was scared to death in the boss fight of that place due to low health and not wanting to do that battle over. I was very very cautios! lol

I'm almost 10 hours in now. Trust me it gets even more difficult. :lol

I also have to say that I love the art style of this game. Some of the demons like Samael look spectacular.

Xater said:
I'm almost 10 hours in now. Trust me it gets even more difficult. :lol

I also have to say that I love the art style of this game. Some of the demons like Samael look spectacular.

Oh man... DANG is what I say! Well I guess I will find out soon enough. Yeah I personally love the art style myself. Also quick question conerning Tiamat battle
So after he lands on the ground and does the ground pound and thrust rush where you have to hit b to hit him back. Are you supposed to run up to him after that b button prompt attack? It seemed like when you would get up to him he was up and I was terrified thinking that he would hit me, so I spammed the hell out of the cross blade till he went down! lol
Any better suggestions?

And I must say on the hard difficulty the dodge dash and timing of it is your friend! Use it!

Xater

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Oh man... DANG is what I say! Well I guess I will find out soon enough. Yeah I personally love the art style myself. Also quick question conerning Tiamat battle
So after he lands on the ground and does the ground pound and thrust rush where you have to hit b to hit him back. Are you supposed to run up to him after that b button prompt attack? It seemed like when you would get up to him he was up and I was terrified thinking that he would hit me, so I spammed the hell out of the cross blade till he went down! lol
Any better suggestions?

And I must say on the hard difficulty the dodge dash and timing of it is your friend! Use it!

Yes you can run up to himp and hit the shit out of Tiamat. You have to be quick though!

Denzar

Started on Apocalyptic.

I wish the block button did not have any other functions actually. It's kind of confusing.

Liking it so far. I had to retry a couple of times already.

And I'm actually liking the art style. Not every creature looks awesome but the big baddies are cool.

Deepack said:
Started on Apocalyptic.

I wish the block button did not have any other functions actually. It's kind of confusing.

Liking it so far. I had to retry a couple of times already.

And I'm actually liking the art style. Not every creature looks awesome but the big baddies are cool.

That block button gave me a bit of issue but I've adjusted fairly well 5 hours in. Speaking of the big baddies, I find that the design for the big guys are just plain awesome.

Tokubetsu

Oh hey, game I've been waiting forever for:
29za654.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm out in an hour, then a 2.5 hour-long ride home, then finally Darksiders!
Going for a single Apocalyptic/Plat Trophy run from the get-go!

eXistor

Liking it so far, bit straightforward and predictable gameplay-wise. One major issue I have with these kind of games is actually quite difficult to explain. The main character just doesn't "connect" with the environments very well. This is seperate from the fact that the main character looks completely ridiculous. In a game like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker or Demon's Souls, you really feel like the main character belongs in the game; the weight of the character, the sound effects, they're all just right and it really helps establishing a connection to the gameworld.

It's very rare when a game gets it right, but I always have trouble getting used to it at any rate. You just sort of "glide" through the game, killing enemies left and right without any real feel to it. After a while I just accept it and forget about it/ get used to it, but it's just a stupid pet peeve of mine I suppose.

Tokubetsu

Just to note. A bout an hour in, playing on a 23.6 inch Asus monitor (VGA) at 1920x1080 and I have not noticed any screen tearing so far.

Top Bottom