• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My game and t-shirt have been sent today, so I'll have them tomorrow. Only 2 days early. :D

I'll be sure to take a pic of the t-shirt to show you guys what it looks like.

Oneself

Got the game (PS3 version) a few hours ago and it's AWESOME BUT...

don't pay attention to your first impressions because:

a) there's a lot of aliasing and it looks a bit "rough" overall...
b) the first thing you see is a brown apocalyptic, destroyed city with demons and tons of unoriginal shit everywhere...
c) the framerate could be better...
d) you don't have much power so it gets MUCH more interesting later...
e) there's lots of fighting at the start...

Then... about an hour and a half later, it feels like I'm finally playing a worthy sequel to SOUL fucking REAVER. It's that damn good.

Dazzyman

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Could this have anything to do with how they have a tv calibrated?

A lot of these people have the auto settings wrong for their panels and end up with crushed blacks or washed out pallete. If in doubt you dont put Cross colour, RGB expand/Full and Superwhite on as its more than likely your panel doesnt support it and it kills the range.

Whenever I read a review like that when it moans about it I know they aint set their panel up right. Its a doddle to alter gamma and so on to correct this. People like this use expanded instead of standard for HDMI as well to crush the fecking lot. Its same with a lot of bloody comparison reviews the GPU output the HDMI differently so one will appear brighter even when your capturing the source. Again just alter it yourself to make em perfect. I run both my 360 and PS3 off same HDMI channel thru Onkyo 605 and I have to alter the gamma and brightness when I switch.

Only game at moment that is different is Bayonetta rest are negligable either way. You can make the likes of Batman look worse on either machine out of box if you dont balance em.

Screen tearing can be worse cas of a panel as well some panels tear like basterds.

Ive gone for PS3 as want me 7.1 audio. Bayonetta 360 again (already got it on JPN and now PAL).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
_tetsuo_ said:
PS3 version has DTS sound. Fuck. Yes.

interesting ,in the past for multiplat games they were mostly EA games but it's nice to see some other publishers actually use Blu-ray space to put DTS or 7.1 these days.

I wish Devs stop putting these horribly compressed cutscene in PS3 versions of the multiplat games.

John

It feels so good to go enter a dungeon again. This is my first one since Twilight Princess, games don't do this enough.

What's the 16-digit code and Serial # for? It says to go to darksiders.com but I don't see anything.

vg260

Just curious, did anyone's PS3 copy come in shrink-wrap like plastic or the standard folded egdes on top and bottom style?

Oneself

2&2 said:
Just curious, did anyone's PS3 copy come in shrink-wrap like plastic or the standard folded egdes on top and bottom style?

Mine was shrink-wrap like plastic. Actually, every single copy of the game were like this at the store I bought it.

You're from Canada right?

vg260

Oneself said:
Mine was shrink-wrap like plastic. Actually, every single copy of the game were like this at the store I bought it.

You're from Canada right?

No, US. I got mine from Amazon, and just noticed it because it's unusual to see. Probably a late add-in at the factory or something. I won't get to open mine until later. My Gears of War 2 from amazon was like that, maybe because the DLC card for it was a late add-in. It wasn't from Gamestop, so I'm not worried about it begin mishandled.

vg260

Dazzyman said:
A lot of these people have the auto settings wrong for their panels and end up with crushed blacks or washed out pallete. If in doubt you dont put Cross colour, RGB expand/Full and Superwhite on as its more than likely your panel doesnt support it and it kills the range.

How do you know for sure if your set supports it?

Oneself

2&2 said:
No, US. I got mine from Amazon, and just noticed it because it's unusual to see. Probably a late add-in at the factory or something. I won't get to open mine until later. My Gears of War 2 from amazon was like that, maybe because the DLC card for it was a late add-in. It wasn't from Gamestop, so I'm not worried about it begin mishandled.

Uh, ok. Strange. I'm from Canada and the french user manual was inside the box (most of the times, it's shrink-wrapped outside the box), so I thought it was added then resealed...

taoofjord

eXistor said:
Liking it so far, bit straightforward and predictable gameplay-wise. One major issue I have with these kind of games is actually quite difficult to explain. The main character just doesn't "connect" with the environments very well. This is seperate from the fact that the main character looks completely ridiculous. In a game like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker or Demon's Souls, you really feel like the main character belongs in the game; the weight of the character, the sound effects, they're all just right and it really helps establishing a connection to the gameworld.

It's very rare when a game gets it right, but I always have trouble getting used to it at any rate. You just sort of "glide" through the game, killing enemies left and right without any real feel to it. After a while I just accept it and forget about it/ get used to it, but it's just a stupid pet peeve of mine I suppose.

That is one of the things I had in mind when I said it was "rough around the edges". The feel of the character moving around and inhabiting the world is pretty rough. I think it's understandable, though, considering it's one of the hardest things to get right and this is a new studio with a small-ish budget. I'd like to see them focus on improving this aspect of their games in the future.

That said, the animation in the game is REALLY awesome!

Soooo glad I picked this up as someone who doesn't enjoy playing zelda (ie who was put off by the comparisons in reviews and in this thread)

very impressed by the game, glad I switched to the ps3 one it looks great, and as someone who HATES tearing, its very reasonable here - only when fast panning and in the larger environments. it does tear but it doesnt bother me. (Having come from playing xbox 360 version of bionic commando thats a great relief)

I get the feeling I had when playing the original God Of War - feeling like a badass and just enjoying the combat, the feel of the character/controls, the colorful and imaginative world. just feels right to me, and was surprise given that I loved God of War 1 yet didnt enjoy GOW2

Tadale

Why don't more press outlets have their reviews up? I'd really like to know what 1up and Giantbomb think of this game.

Phenomic

Started playing and it feels really fun so far but I'm curious as to how the dungeons work in the game. Does it resemble Zelda where if you enter a Dungeon it will make explicitly tell you by saying "Forest Temple" in white text or something to that effect. Or does it kind of just connect into the Overworld without any good indication that you are in a divided dungeon area?

John

taoofjord said:
That said, the animation in the game is REALLY awesome!
It's so fluid switching among animations. The circle kill-moves in particular, since they're much more well-integrated visually than in the God of War Ps2 games.

batbeg

Yay, only got to put in about an hour so far, but yay! This is going to be my last new game for a good while, probably until FFXIII, and I couldn't have made a better choice, I think.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
just startted playing, on where u have to find Vulgrim(dats not a spoiler)

why all of the sudden Select and Start button stop working? did i miss something?

Oneself

PS3, 60g: The game crashed after a cutscene while saving
(right after I got the ?? power to see things ?? that 2nd big rocky dude gives you)
.... devs, take note.

John

Oneself said:
PS3, 60g: The game crashed after a cutscene while saving
(right after I got the ?? power to see things ?? that 2nd big rocky dude gives you)
.... devs, take note.
Yeah, same exact spot here. Thought it was just me, but it wasn't a big deal since it still autosaves you there.

Dazzyman said:

Whenever I read a review like that when it moans about it I know they aint set their panel up right. Its a doddle to alter gamma and so on to correct this. People like this use expanded instead of standard for HDMI as well to crush the fecking lot. Its same with a lot of bloody comparison reviews the GPU output the HDMI differently so one will appear brighter even when your capturing the source. Again just alter it yourself to make em perfect. I run both my 360 and PS3 off same HDMI channel thru Onkyo 605 and I have to alter the gamma and brightness when I switch.

Only game at moment that is different is Bayonetta rest are negligable either way. You can make the likes of Batman look worse on either machine out of box if you dont balance em.

Screen tearing can be worse cas of a panel as well some panels tear like basterds.

Ive gone for PS3 as want me 7.1 audio. Bayonetta 360 again (already got it on JPN and now PAL).

yeah, that gets on my nerves in reviews. Who is to say they dont have the settings right on ps3, and even then, its personal preference. I calibrated my tv, and i still end adjusting contrast and brightness cuz thats the way i like the picture.

Im going ps3 version.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Tokubetsu said:
Im playing on apocalyptic and one thing I've noticed, dodging to the sideis way more effective than dodging backwards.

Ya I learned that very quickly. I'm Playing on Apocalyptic as well. I have to note how well they animated War. Everything he does looks fantastic.

TheFallen

PS3 version runs great. Just calibrated to deal with the colors, seems fine to me. Trying to play on Apocalyptic to cover the trophies, however missed the first one at the beginning. I saw no helicopters!! :lol

It's a little confusing at first. Perhaps it has more to do with me not being used to action games on the sixaxis. Something feels off about the targeting. Lots of complexities to the combat I need to get used to and learn. Enjoying it immensely thus far.

I did notice an oddity with the checkpoints. If you die during some areas, it'll skip you ahead. During a fight with one of the bigger demons in the hotel, I died and respawned in the same room with him dead. Then once again when I gathered over 500 souls running around the crossroads, it just spawned me at Vulgrim with him already handing me the horn. Oh well. Doesn't bother me much.

KevinCow

Banned
So far, this game's as awesome as I was hoping it would be. I only have two complaints:

1) The combo timer is way too strict. A little more leniency would have been nice.

2) NPCs repeat their lines way too much, and way too often. I swear, I had Ulthaine repeat the pillow stuffing line five times in a row, all within the span of a minute or two. This especially makes shopping in Vulgrim's store annoying.

Other than these relatively minor things and the tearing (this usually doesn't bother me, but it's pretty bad in this game), everything's pretty fantastic. Combat, exploration, puzzles... this is pretty much my dream game.

Oh, and I love how War opens chests by BEATING THE SHIT OUT OF THEM.

Skilletor said:
Just picked mines up.

Be careful, those things are pretty dangerous.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Firestorm said:
Got home from class and am now installing it to the hard drive. Better be good!

Tell me how it is running from the hard drive. With the constant loading I wonder if that makes it better or worse.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Can anyone elaborate on what the vague "more colors", "higher detail" comments are about with regards to 360 vs PS3?

"Higher detail" doesn't mean "higher texture resolution", does it? If so, my platform choice here becomes complicated. Arrrgh!

JudgeN

Loving the game so far, so many different elements and they seem to work well together IMO. Only thing is why is the background music so low? It almost seems like the game doesn't have a soundtrack.

Haunted

Oneself said:
Then... about an hour and a half later, it feels like I'm finally playing a worthy sequel to SOUL fucking REAVER. It's that damn good.
First Zelda, now this. Darksiders has my attention and I really want to give it a chance with some of the illustrious comparisons that have been drawn in this thread. But... I can't justify just plunking down the money considering

• all the other games coming out in the next two months
  • it's by an unknown and unproven developer
  • some of the impressions have been mixed
  • there's no demo available

Really, having a demo would go a long way already.

Firestorm

ZealousD said:
Tell me how it is running from the hard drive. With the constant loading I wonder if that makes it better or worse.
The loading doesn't seem bad. I haven't had any horrible loads yet although I guess the cutscenes are masking them. Tearing and framerate are pretty bad though. I at the part just after the council so haven't done much yet.

Decado

How does the PS3 version compare with the 360? Does the 360 version also have the aliasing problems? I'll buy whatever version is best, but if there is no "best version" I'd prefer to get it on the PS3 (I'm getting Bayonetta on the 360...nice to dedicate a system to each game).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Firestorm said:
The loading doesn't seem bad. I haven't had any horrible loads yet although I guess the cutscenes are masking them. Tearing and framerate are pretty bad though. I at the part just after the council so haven't done much yet.

When I say "constant loading" I literally mean the game is constantly loading. It's all in the background. If they used typical load screens than I'd install without a second thought.

berva

Neo Member
Seriously, they need to fix the screen tear. Playing it on the 360 so not too sure about the ps3 version.

Overall enjoying the game but its not without its faults. around a 8.2/10 at the moment.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
just startted playing, on where u have to find Vulgrim(dats not a spoiler)

why all of the sudden Select and Start button stop working? did i miss something?

Same thing happened to me. I just restarted the game and then it worked.

I love this game. Best western "Zelda clone" I've played so far. Reminds me of Soul Reaver too.

Tokubetsu

One thing I would have liked, is if your health and wrath were full, for the those chests to automatically turn into currency or something along those lines.

JudgeN

Decado said:
How does the PS3 version compare with the 360? Does the 360 version also have the aliasing problems? I'll buy whatever version is best, but if there is no "best version" I'd prefer to get it on the PS3 (I'm getting Bayonetta on the 360...nice to dedicate a system to each game).

PS3 version has a alot less tearing, as far as performance goes I can't say but others have said they are equal. Id go with the PS3 version on this one until the 360 gets a patch to address the tearing.

Oneself

Haunted said:
First Zelda, now this. Darksiders has my attention and I really want to give it a chance with some of the illustrious comparisons that have been drawn in this thread. But... I can't justify just plunking down the money considering

• all the other games coming out in the next two months
  • it's by an unknown and unproven developer
  • some of the impressions have been mixed
  • there's no demo available

Really, having a demo would go a long way already.

Seriously, if you like Soul Reaver, Metroidvanias, Super Metroid, God of War (I'm not really a Zelda fan BTW) there's not a single reason why you wouldn't like this game.

A demo would probably show the combat system more than anything else and wouldn't be representative enough of the whole game since the marketing around this game, sadly, seems to push towards the action/fighting/blood/kills/gore shit.

Decado

JudgeN said:
PS3 version has a alot less tearing, as far as performance goes I can't say but others have said they are equal. Id go with the PS3 version on this one until the 360 gets a patch to address the tearing.
Thanks!

hteng

Banned
very good game, the controls will need some getting used to but general mashing will get you somewhere.

Graphics are awesome, good translation from the comic to polygon.

The story and dialogue is pretty meh... "I can give you any wish!" ".... can you restore the balance?" blarg...

soco

Decado said:

if you look at some of the reviews like hte IGN one, they all seem to think the 360 version looks better and apparently the tearing is more of an issue in the beginning than later in the game.

the devs have said they're working this week to fix little things like the tearing, so it might depend upon when you buy it...

Top Bottom