• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

soco

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Oh really? I never saw that post! doh! Well hopefully its not too much of a bother.

just so its reposted:

from their forums:
Dadams @darksiders forum said:
We will do our best to patch any persistent problems people are having...

and

hdn said:
Wassup all,

I'm from the Darksiders dev team. Great thread, discussions and points. I'm a NeoGaf virgin, so be gentle.

I know there's been talk about technical issues on Darksiders and we plan to address them next week (as soon as we return to the office). Other than that, I'm liking the reaction to the game thus far. Can't wait to hear more of the "user reviews" next week.

I posted earlier that we were addressing some of the technical issues on our return to work next week (before the game is officially released). I've been told a fix shouldn't be too major, but, I'm unsure how long the submission for patches takes to go through official channels before it's released to the public.

JohngPR

BarrenMind said:
Yea, when I checked it at around 7:00 am cst their supply was already "Low". Usually on release dates their stock sits at "Available now" for a while. Sucks. I knew they would get Dragon Age from me today, but I guess it was too late.

That sucks. :(

I had sent back Silent Hill: Shattered Memories a few days ago hoping that they'd get it in on time to send out Darksiders on day one. Luckily, it paid off.

Gamefly just shipped this today. The keep it price is $45. Might have to bite if this thread is any indication of its quality. :D

John Harker said:
Too many games!!

Darksiders or Bayonetta?

Well I got to the last boss on Bayonetta last night and the game has been fan-fucking-tastic. I have my copy of Darksiders tonight I'll be digging into! Yet from what everone says on here is also...fan-fucking-tastic! So get either or, or do yourself a favor and get both if you can!

Fimbulvetr said:
Zelda-esque puzzle solving or DMC-like combat(respectively)?

That's what you're basically choosing from.

Both if you can though.

Both equally bad-ass and dealing with demons and angels ironically! :p

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I want both, but realistically speaking, considering I'm already playing 4 games right now, and the line up the end of January-March, if I get both, I would NEVER beat both of them. It's arguable I'll complete one of them!

I'm torn. I want Bayonetta more considering the pedigree, but there's something about Darksiders that's just... interesting.

If you buy both form Toys'R'Us you get a $40 gift card.

Hmm, explain.

mikeGFG

Banned
John Harker said:
I want both, but realistically speaking, considering I'm already playing 4 games right now, and the line up the end of January-March, if I get both, I would NEVER beat both of them. It's arguable I'll complete one of them!

I'm torn. I want Bayonetta more considering the pedigree, but there's something about Darksiders that's just... interesting.

I would say Bayonetta first, then Darksiders when you have the time.

mjc

John Harker said:

Hmm, explain.

If you buy both Bayonetta and Darksiders together, you get a $10 giftcard. If you're a member of their reward program, (which is free and quick to sign up for) you get a $40 giftcard instead of the $10.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So IF, IF, I decided to do a platinum trophy run of this game, it would seem that all I need to do is start on the hardest difficulty, and I can get everything in one run. Looking at the list though:

http://www.allps3trophies.com/retail-games/darksiders-trophies.html

A couple of those seem missable. Things like "Defeating more Angels than Ulthane" and "Taking out a helicopter with a car, during the apocalypse" sound like event based things, and even if you can go back to PLACES, I doubt you can reenact EVENTS. Anyone who beat the game able to clarify? Or one of those devs haunting this thread? Would it be wise to keep the list handy while I play? I'd hate to get all but 1 trophy and have to replay the entire game for it.

RPGCrazied

Might have to pass, kotaku's review says it has massive screen tearing.

Thats a nono in my book, vsync your shit devs.

TimeLike

Tathanen said:
So IF, IF, I decided to do a platinum trophy run of this game, it would seem that all I need to do is start on the hardest difficulty, and I can get everything in one run. Looking at the list though:

A couple of those seem missable. Things like "Defeating more Angels than Ulthane" and "Taking out a helicopter with a car, during the apocalypse" sound like event based things, and even if you can go back to PLACES, I doubt you can reenact EVENTS. Anyone who beat the game able to clarify? Or one of those devs haunting this thread? Would it be wise to keep the list handy while I play? I'd hate to get all but 1 trophy and have to replay the entire game for it.

Yes those are missable. You'll want to create a save right before you start those missions. The helicopter during the apocalypse can be done anytime by firing up a new game. It's right at the start.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tathanen said:

Yes, those two are missable. So is Aerial Predator. Those 3 are the only missable achievements/trophies.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=197091

MMaRsu

RPGCrazied said:
Might have to pass, kotaku's review says it has massive screen tearing.

Thats a nono in my book, vsync your shit devs.

Who reads kotaku's reviews?

Anyway there isn't MASSIVE screentearing, there is tearing indeed, but it's not that bad.
Plus they said they might fix it with a patch. Also tearing is non existent on ps3.

RPGCrazied

Well lets hope they fix them then, cuz I do want to play it. Its just screen tearing takes me out of the game/experience.

Please fix the 360 version, please?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Thanks a lot guys! I'd probably do it like with 100%-scan-runs of the Metroid Primes, just keep a list handy with the one-timers.

soco

RPGCrazied said:
Well lets hope they fix them then, cuz I do want to play it. Its just screen tearing takes me out of the game/experience.

Please fix the 360 version, please?

read above. the devs have already said they're working on it this week. i quoted them and it's still on this page.

MMaRsu

Tokubetsu said:
I'm getting Bionic Commando flashbacks. ='( MMarsu, tell kermit to stop hogging the bud.

Why are you getting Bionic Commando flashbacks? I still haven't played that game by the way..

Also, I wish I had some fucking weed right now but alas I have stopped smoking it :(. I'll just grab a beer and go kill some more demons :D

TimeLike

MMaRsu said:
Who reads kotaku's reviews?

Anyway there isn't MASSIVE screentearing, there is tearing indeed, but it's not that bad.
Plus they said they might fix it with a patch. Also tearing is non existent on ps3.

Yes there is. It's massive and very distracting although not always present.

MMaRsu

TimeLike said:
Yes there is. It's massive and very distracting although not always present.

Yes there is screen tearing, but maybe I don't see it as massive because I don't have an HDTV? Either way, to me it does not detract from the experience. Is a Zelda fan not going to play the latest Zelda game just cause it has screen tearing? Doubt that :p.

Anyway, deep into the first dungeon and loving it. I made the better choice choosing this over Bayonetta ( which the store also had :p ). Not to say I'm not trading this towards that when I'm done with this though ^_^. This is one of those games you play through once. But you still have an amazing time doing so I think.

JdFoX187

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Why are you getting Bionic Commando flashbacks? I still haven't played that game by the way..

Also, I wish I had some fucking weed right now but alas I have stopped smoking it :(. I'll just grab a beer and go kill some more demons :D
Major tearing in Bionic Commando. But it's not as distracting as one might think.

Minamu

Anyone know if Gamestop Sweden have any trade-in deals on this? This & Bayonetta on the same day is hilarious :lol But honestly, from the few trailers I've seen from the preview section in the OP so far, it looks a lot better than I first thought. 2010 sleeper?

And how come the ps3 version has a higher metacritic score? nm, tearing.

robot

Toonami 99 said:
How did you get the gift card to apply to the purchase at TRU my checkout says $127.18

B1G1 50% off was going on last week (w/free shipping and $15 off coupons i think). Pretty sure the giftcard deal is in store only.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
for those still on the fence, one of my colleagues wrote up a feature on several games that were influences for Darksiders.

The Influences of Darksiders

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Notable aspects: Bomb Flowers; Climbing Vines; Meta-dungeons; Bosses; Boomerang

God of War
Notable Aspects: Combo-system; Orb-chests

Legacy of Kain
Notable Aspects: Pacing; Balance of gameplay

Panzer Dragoon Orta - One particularly amazing scene sees War hijacking an angel's giant flying eagle mount and his staff, then proceeds to fly through the level in an on-rails shooting segment hurling bolts of energy at enemies.

Ninja Gaiden - During many combat encounters, doorways will be sealed off with giant glowing emblems, similar to those used in Ninja Gaiden.

Gears of War - Believe it or not, but there are actually a few sparse moments where Darksiders turns into an over-the-shoulder third-person shooter.

ZealousD

Caspel said:
Gears of War - Believe it or not, but there are actually a few sparse moments where Darksiders turns into an over-the-shoulder third-person shooter.

Those sections look more like Ratchet and Clank to me.

Lunchbox

Banned
wish they had a demo for this......i didnt even know this existed until recently.

saw a commercial for it during wrestling

Honestly, the tearing is not as bad as most people make it out to be. Either way, it should not be the most determining factor of your rent/purchase.

I hate waiting. Two days ergh. I have work Thursday at 5pm til 11.30pm, so I wont be able to play it all night. I might get up super early and play all day before work then.

ZealousD

Tokubetsu said:
ZealousD and I are disappointed in all of you.

I'm not! They're the ones missing out! I can't understand how you could deprive yourself of such awesomeness!

Must be sick in the head or something.

Top Bottom