• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

MMaRsu

Flipside said:
Finally getting the game by mail tomorrow. Would have picked it up sooner but too much snow (the white stuff outside, not the white stuff for you nose :p) kept me from doing that :)

Can anyone advise me what difficulty I should play on? For comparison: I finished Ninja Gaiden 2 (360) on the normal (easiest) setting and thought that was doable but didnt bother with the harder settings, veteran on MW2 pisses me off too much :)

Is apocalyptic harder than these things or is it worth playing and not a really frustrating challenge (for someone with my 'skillevel')

Thanks

Hmm well I'd say go for apocalyptic. It's doable, and sometimes it's hard! But it's doesn't feel cheap or frustrating imo. If you die it's because you didn't doge quickly enough..

Sidzed2

Darksiders, for me, is a series of highs and lows.

For every smart puzzle there is a section of confusing hallways and aimless wandering.

For every good boss fight (in fact, the Stygian has been the only fantastic one so far) there is a pair of lousy ones.

For every few minutes you get to ride Ruin, the game then forces you to go on foot.

I don't know, it's very up and down for me. I feel like the horse should have been one of the first upgrades; Ruin makes the game a billion times more enjoyable.

About to start the fourth (and maybe final?) dungeon, and the game is sitting at about a 7.5 or 8 out of 10 for me. I'm not quite as high on it as most here.

Kyzer

Banned
Sidzed2 said:

For every smart puzzle there is a section of confusing hallways and aimless wandering.

For every good boss fight (in fact, the Stygian has been the only fantastic one so far) there is a pair of lousy ones.

For every few minutes you get to ride Ruin, the game then forces you to go on foot.

I don't know, it's very up and down for me. I feel like the horse should have been one of the first upgrades; Ruin makes the game a billion times more enjoyable.

About to start the fourth (and maybe final?) dungeon, and the game is sitting at about a 7.5 or 8 out of 10 for me. I'm not quite as high on it as most here.

Mostly this, except that if this game gets a sequel and they polish it more, it will be my dream game.

And also, I wanna say this, but the back of my mind tells me that it's so true that it has to have been mentioned somewhere in this thread before me but...

So this is what WoW looks like in HD.

Dyno

Just here to say what everyone else has been saying. The first couple hours: so-so gameplay but the art is good. After that, the whole thing just takes flight! Combat is quite awesome even when you just have a couple weapons, one spell, and the horn. The exploration gets really fun and the story is engaging. It was soooo hard to pull myself off the couch at 1:00am last night. I really wanted to keep going.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Really enjoying the game so far, but got "stuck" last night. I quote stuck, because I don't know if I'm really stuck or just didn't see the solution due to it being late. I defeated the batqueendemonthingy, went back to Samael (he looks so different from his form in Hellboy BTW), gave him the heart, and was sent on my way.
I used the Crossblades to detonate the red crystals, mad my way through, fought the enemies in the tunnel, got in a room where I'm standing on a HUGE fanblade and there's a fan spinning underneath (which results in insta-death upon touch). I couldn't find ANY way out of the room :(

Ezio

So, any ideas (hdn) as to when the patch for the 360 will be released? I'm loving the game so far (especially the story) but the screen-tearing can be a bit of an eyesore at times.

Patch coming to fix the screen tearing on 360.

http://kotaku.com/5443367/fix-on-the-way-for-darksiders-graphical-issues

I wasn't a big fan of the amount of screen-tearing present in the Xbox 360 version of Vigil's Darksiders. It appears I'm not the only one, as the studio has confirmed that a patch for the issue is on the way.

"It's something that's really not a difficult fix for us and so we're going to implement a patch to resolve the problem", Vigil's Joe Madureira told IGN. "We're fairly certain it'll happen really soon so look out for it".

While it's a pain the tearing was there in the first place (I've 'shopped the image above to give those unaware an idea what screen tearing looks like), it's nice to see one developer actually doing something about it.

Great news! :D

Mejilan said:
Holy shit, the Angelic Mount controls are broken for me. I can't believe I can't invert the Y axis like with any other flight style game.

It's going to make getting the miss-able trophy here next to impossible for me, I'm afraid. I'm utterly shocked that they didn't use the first person aim camera setting for this mode as well, given the obvious parallels...

That trophy/achievement sucks anyway. Probably hardest in the list. And I swear you can invert the axis for the controls in the options -- there were several options for axis inversion, I believe... as to whether or not they affect the flight on the mount... I don't know.

Ezio

Thanks for posting that Project, great to see a developer that is backing there game. Darksiders byitself is a great game, once the patch comes in it'll be even greater (at least for us 360 users).

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Ezio said:
So, any ideas (hdn) as to when the patch for the 360 will be released? I'm loving the game so far (especially the story) but the screen-tearing can be a bit of an eyesore at times.

We actually have the patch done, but it needs to go through official testing channels before it can be released to the public. I can't give an exact date because it'll be out of our hands, I don't want to speculate one either, it'll just get people pissed....sorry :(

DeadGzuz

Banned
hdn said:
We actually have the patch done, but it needs to go through official testing channels before it can be released to the public. I can't give an exact date because it'll be out of our hands, I don't want to speculate one either, it'll just get people pissed....sorry :(

Did you just enable v-sync?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
corrosivefrost said:
That trophy/achievement sucks anyway. Probably hardest in the list. And I swear you can invert the axis for the controls in the options -- there were several options for axis inversion, I believe... as to whether or not they affect the flight on the mount... I don't know.

Way too difficult for a measly bronze, IMHO. But I'm not about to let this prevent me from attaining a one-pass platinum! I'll try it again tonight, and focus more on the ground troops than the angels in the early area before the fiery cavern.

I figure if I can score a good 35 or so kills before the cavern, then I'll be set for the rest of it. And since this sequence has checkpoints, you can essentially use well-timed saves and reloads to replay specific segments for the highest kill count possible, reloading to the last checkpoint if you think you whiffed that sequence. Also, non-charged shots are MUCH stronger than charged shots. The gold angels and dragon go down much faster if you manually aim.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
As a character, I wish they gave War more personality. He seems so boring compared to everyone else. He has a lot of strength, but i'm not quite sure if he's a bad ass or just a loner.

Hate to do the comparison thing, but... kratos is the closest thing. Kratos has more personality because he has more story (1st person and 3rd person) and definitely more motive. This is just the first game to be fair, so give War this in Darksiders 2 please.

That said, im 17 hrs in. Searching for
pieces of the blade.
Great game so far.

MMaRsu

Bad_Boy said:
As a character, I wish they gave War more personality. He seems so boring compared to everyone else. He has a lot of strength, but i'm not quite sure if he's a bad ass or just a loner.

Hate to do the comparison thing, but... kratos is the closest thing. Kratos has more personality because he has more story (1st person and 3rd person) and definitely more motive. This is just the first game to be fair, so give War this in Darksiders 2 please.

That said, im 17 hrs in. Searching for
pieces of the blade.
Great game so far.

Whut. He doesn't need a story or a backstory. He is a horsemen of the apocalypse. He is there to kill demons and angels alike. He doesn't care about anyone, he doesnt have any emotions.

neorej said:
I used the Crossblades to detonate the red crystals, mad my way through, fought the enemies in the tunnel, got in a room where I'm standing on a HUGE fanblade and there's a fan spinning underneath (which results in insta-death upon touch). I couldn't find ANY way out of the room :(

Jump over to the next blade and go through the door. I died the first time I tried to jump across too. I made it the second time though.

koji

hdn said:

Aight, good to know there is a fix coming up, still have to start my playthrough.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
MMaRsu said:
Whut. He doesn't need a story or a backstory. He is a horsemen of the apocalypse. He is there to kill demons and angels alike. He doesn't care about anyone, he doesnt have any emotions.
ugh.

I just wish he had more style, personality/character wise. He obviously has emotions if he wants revenge. Would be cool to see more of the other 3 horsemen then, even death has personality.

Darksiders 2, can't wait.

MMaRsu said:

I'm only 2 or 3 hours in, but I like that War is very loyal and committed to his job. he's confident of his capabilities, but level headed enough to listen other people's advice and not just charge into that destroyer tower thing.

MMaRsu

Bad_Boy said:
ugh.

I just wish he had more style, personality/character wise. He obviously has emotions if he wants revenge. Would be cool to see more of the other 3 horsemen then, even death has personality.

Darksiders 2, can't wait.

Like what? He only wants revenge cause he was fucked over. Aside from that he's just a badass dude.. He doesn't need any intricate personality stuff imo :p.

El-Suave

The second dungen boss battle was much more pleasant than the first one.
I'm getting soft though - I almost felt pity for the Griever boss during the little "after show" War put on after he has beaten it.

MMaRsu said:
He doesn't need any intricate personality stuff imo :p.

"Hi my name is War. I am a horseman of the apocalypse. I like to go on long rides with my horsey Ruin. Recently I accidentally sorta helped with the Armageddon, but it really wasn't the Armageddon. Opps. Totally my fault. So I'm going to set things right. I already killed one guy though. Oh his name started with a T. I think Tiama? or something like that. He wanted to talk but I told him he wouldn't like my terms in a take no shit bad ass voice of course. I mean I know I'm just a horseman but I'm really deep as a individual. I have a family and kids ya know. Well gotta run, I'm heading to the Ashlands now. Take care, I mean...*gruff voice* I'm going now! "

MMaRsu said:
Read the thread, it's certainly buy worthy :p.
like botht hose games.. but now that i've seen more, i'm really interested in buying it. will probably buy it tomorrow. .... or AC2... still need to play that to...

bdouble

Kyzer said:
So this is what WoW looks like in HD.
What does that even mean? Should be picking this up today or tomorrow. Haven't been able to leave the house with no driving license. Least I have Batman AA. That is surprisingly amazing.

Mejilan said:
Way too difficult for a measly bronze, IMHO. But I'm not about to let this prevent me from attaining a one-pass platinum! I'll try it again tonight, and focus more on the ground troops than the angels in the early area before the fiery cavern.

I figure if I can score a good 35 or so kills before the cavern, then I'll be set for the rest of it. And since this sequence has checkpoints, you can essentially use well-timed saves and reloads to replay specific segments for the highest kill count possible, reloading to the last checkpoint if you think you whiffed that sequence. Also, non-charged shots are MUCH stronger than charged shots. The gold angels and dragon go down much faster if you manually aim.

This is true.

A few pointers, if you like:

Check your kill total before you hop on the beast. After you're in the cavern, check it when you see the big bat demon fly past you, if you have 100 or so kills by here, you should be alright -- I needed 59 at this point. If you're in this vicinity, create a new save game on a new slot. It will then reload at the point when the bat demon flies past you and have saved your kills prior to. Then you only have to have a good run from the bat demon to the end.

Learn where the large packs of small targets come in and out and their pattern on the screen, you can earn tons of kills with these by spamming quick charge shots on high targets repeatedly.

Mejilan

corrosivefrost said:
This is true.

A few pointers, if you like:

Check your kill total before you hop on the beast. After you're in the cavern, check it when you see the big bat demon fly past you, if you have 100 or so kills by here, you should be alright -- I needed 59 at this point. If you're in this vicinity, create a new save game on a new slot. It will then reload at the point when the bat demon flies past you and have saved your kills prior to. Then you only have to have a good run from the bat demon to the end.

Learn where the large packs of small targets come in and out and their pattern on the screen, you can earn tons of kills with these by spamming quick charge shots on high targets repeatedly.

Yep yep, thanks. You kind of reworded/reinforced some of what I said. But I'll keep your 100 kill checkpoint in mind. And yeah, I have no issues ignoring flaming bat demons and/or angels in favor of the harmless insectoid swarms that periodically show up. I have those memorized already, as they're the key to breaking 160. Should have lowered it to 150 though. Bastards. Or upped the trophy to a silver.

EYEL1NER

So what are everyone's complaints with how the game looks in the beginning? I mean, I haven't played Uncharted 2, so maybe I haven't seen amazing graphics yet until I do (probably won't ever play it though), but I thought the opening level was pretty good looking. And that opening cinematic with the humans running from the fireballs blew me away. I am not sure what it was about it, but it looked damn good to me. And I am playing on a SD TV too!

Also, does anyone remember the name of a game similar in theme to the this from maybe 5-6 years ago that got cancelled? It was set during the apocolypse and the main characters were all sinners or bad people that were left behind on earth. Traci Lords was going to voice one the the main characters, a prostitute. The game ended up getting cancelled, but I still remember the screenshots vivdly and it reminds me of what I am seeing now in Darksiders. For some reason I want to say THQ was going to publish the game, but who knows? Well, hopefully someone knows...

Mejilan

Yeah, there was a game based on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse in development for the last gen consoles, IIRC. I don't remember too many specifics, but I do recall being intrigued. I don't think too much was shown off before it got canned though, nor can I even remember who the developer was. I think the name might have been Four Horsemen or some such, but I could be way off there.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Horsemen_of_the_Apocalypse_(video_game)

orion434

Just a note for the "Improvised Kills" Kill 150 Enemies with Enviornmental Objects - Achievement / Trophy be warned that destructable objects DO NOT Respawn as do the enemies, and at certain times the enemies in earlier areas become stronger versions. Try to kill as many with cars and such in the beginning... makes it much easier.

EYEL1NER

Mejilan said:
Yeah, there was a game based on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse in development for the last gen consoles, IIRC. I don't remember too many specifics, but I do recall being intrigued. I don't think too much was shown off before it got canned though, nor can I even remember who the developer was. I think the name might have been Four Horsemen or some such, but I could be way off there.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Horsemen_of_the_Apocalypse_(video_game)
Cool, thanks.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sidzed2 said:

What?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
_tetsuo_ said:

Dude, there are a lot of boring sections here. Far less than in your typical Zelda, but they're still here. The level with
Griever
was mind numbingly boring to me.

RPGCrazied said:
Hope that patch fix is soon, then i'll buy it.
I don't blame you. Tearing doesn't usually bother me but it is extreme in this game. The screen is almost always moving in 2 different directions. I'll live with it for now but I do look forward to that patch.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
WanderingWind said:
Dude, there are a lot of boring sections here. Far less than in your typical Zelda, but they're still here. The level with
Griever
was mind numbingly boring to me.

It still wasn't aimless or confusing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sorry about you guys having trouble with the Aerial Predator achievement. I ended up getting it after 3 tries. Probably helped that I got good enough in Rez HD to get all 200 GS, though.

rayner said:
Just a note for the "Improvised Kills" Kill 150 Enemies with Enviornmental Objects - Achievement / Trophy be warned that destructable objects DO NOT Respawn as do the enemies, and at certain times the enemies in earlier areas become stronger versions. Try to kill as many with cars and such in the beginning... makes it much easier.

Well, some destructible objects respawn and some don't. I've seen cars and street lamps respawn.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
759954321_E7mFJ-L.jpg

The Wii was either "innovative" or "gimmicky," depending on your perspective, an evergreen topic that still springs up now and again. There is a similar cleave between things that are Homage and things that are Derivative, though this one can get complicated quick. In such scenarios, it's nice to have a quick rule of thumb to sunder any lingering ambiguities.

We brought Darksiders back to the office with Bayonetta at lunch, on the assumption that Bayonetta would occupy the afternoon, and Darksiders has instead demanded every spare moment we've had for the last several days. As Vigil's first game, it's not that expectations were low - it's that there were no expectations. This makes it difficult to place in a functional hierarchy that determines purchase or play priority. I'm not entirely sure why we bought it. Was it the hologram on the cover? As children of the eighties, holograms act on some primal layer of the consciousness.

It really does have it all, and by all, I mean it's got a flavor from every game you've liked recently. Prince of Persia. God of War. Certainly, some Zelda. But they're stewed in such an ornate cauldron, and then presented with such verve that we're begging to know what's next. The visuals are more than capable from a technology perspective, the occasional huge fight constipates performance, but it's nothing to inspire a rage induced trade-in or kill you when you wouldn't otherwise have died. What becomes clear rather quickly is that the game has a voice, a clear one, which is most perfectly expressed in its visual language. It creates a context of such amplified scale and gravity that they can get away with the most insane bullshit and it's okay. Your sword is called Chaoseater, for God's sake. Ordinarily that would drive me fucking nuts. Here, it's like, what else would you call it? It eats fucking chaos! Give me the controller.

There is considerable repetition for enemy dialogue - they feel compelled to speak, but they can't think of anything new to say, so you hear a lot of the same dark oaths and "quarterly review"-style performance assessments. Even those lines, though, are delivered with a confidence and texture that most games can't be bothered to deliver. They contribute to the overall "sheen" of the game, a freewheeling cosmic gothic epic. It is quite consciously a smorgasbord, and makes no apologies for it.

orion434

ZealousD said:
Well, some destructible objects respawn and some don't. I've seen cars and street lamps respawn.

I thought the same... and returned to the Crossroads and no cars. I think maybe they may respawn once when the enemies change, though it is definitely easier to tackle this on Wicked Males / Females ( Zombies )

Naix

Banned
I must be crazy but I think War looks like Arthas from Warcraft. Well, him or another Blizzard character, I'm not sure.

Great game btw, love the Zelda-esque dungeons.

forrest

formerly nacire
I don't really get all of the complaints about the story.. Even a few of the reviews talked about the weak plot or confusing story. It is coming across pretty straight forward and damn awesome in my opinion.

KevinCow

Banned
That Link/War design is hilariously awesome. I want someone to model that and hack it into the game. Along with the Master Sword Chaoseater, of course.

Mejilan

Tokubetsu said:
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the new Zelda game makes some nods towards DarkSiders? :lol

Please. Zelda beat Darksiders to the end-of-the-world scenario a full generation ago, what with Wind Waker and all. Darksiders is just so derivative... ;p

Top Bottom