• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

TheFallen

Anyone know if the passive bonuses from enhancements apply when they're not slotted to anything? I'm trying to figure out if the slotted bonus is only for that specific weapon or if to global. And if the passive only works when slotted to one of the 3 weapons.

Firestorm said:
I'm in The Hollows. wtf am I supposed to be doing with these trains :(
Push the flatbed (I guess?) off the platform, hit the trigger to get the platforms to switch sides. Now put the train on the platform, hit the trigger again and now you have it on the correct side. Push it toward the corridor with the demonic wall to climb. Get on top of the train and then climb.

Firestorm

Papercuts said:
If this is the room I'm thinking of(with the crank that moves the platform over), you just need to put the big train on it and move it back to push into the corner for a platform. The other piece of the train didn't seem to have a point, I guess you just needed to move it so the train would fit.
Oh there finally found it. I didn't see those vines or whatever they're supposed to be x.x Stupid brown on brown.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
At first, I thought "Zelda like? Psh, this is just God of War-lite. Yawn." Now, I just
killed Tiamat
and I understand. Fantastic.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy shit, the Angelic Mount controls are broken for me. I can't believe I can't invert the Y axis like with any other flight style game.

It's going to make getting the miss-able trophy here next to impossible for me, I'm afraid. I'm utterly shocked that they didn't use the first person aim camera setting for this mode as well, given the obvious parallels...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mejilan said:
Holy shit, the Angelic Mount controls are broken for me. I can't believe I can't invert the Y axis like with any other flight style game.

It's going to make getting the miss-able trophy here next to impossible for me, I'm afraid. I'm utterly shocked that they didn't use the first person aim camera setting for this mode as well, given the obvious parallels...

There's an invert Y/X axis under game options.

KevinCow

Banned
dralla said:
how do you use empty vessels? I have full health and I thought if I opened a green chest it would fill a vessel? but it's not

You can buy stuff to fill them from Vulgrim. I don't think there's another way to fill them.

Mejilan

Papercuts said:
There's an invert Y/X axis under game options.

Yes, and as I just mentioned, it doesn't come into play at all during this sequence.
Horribly oversight on Vigil's part.

Edit - Nevermind, it does. But I had to undo it, then redo the setting before it "took".
Bizarre bug, because when I went into the sequence with the axis inverted (as I prefer it), the aiming for this sequence was non-inverted. But when I un-inverted it, then re-inverted it, it started working.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
KevinCow said:
You can buy stuff to fill them from Vulgrim. I don't think there's another way to fill them.

Wait, so you have to buy an empty vessel and then buy the consumable from Vulgrim?

KevinCow

Banned
ZealousD said:
Wait, so you have to buy an empty vessel and then buy the consumable from Vulgrim?

You don't have to buy an empty vessel every time you want life essence or something, if that's what you're asking. They're like bottles in Zelda. Once you have one, you keep it forever. But it can only hold one thing at a time.

Vulgrim only has one of the empty vessels. War starts with one, and the rest are found throughout the world. I think all but the one Vulgrim sells come with some life essence.

Mejilan

Bah. Two hours wasted trying to get the Aerial Predator trophy. Closest I got was within 10 kills shy of the needed 160.

Tokubetsu

_tetsuo_ said:
Combat difficulty just skyrockets when you get to The Black Throne. God damn.

Are you play on apocalyptic? I absolutely dread fights now. It's basically a guaranteed loss of like 3 health bars. Enemies are aggressive as fuck, do a ton of damage and it's always 1 or 2 big/weird strategy enemy and like 5 smaller ones. If I don't have full chaos, I just spam crossblade and dash sword attack.

Pretty pleasantly surprised by this one. I was expecting to like it since I love the 3D Zelda's and the Soul Reaver games, but I'm really happy with Darksiders so far. The characters are standard comic book stuff, but the post-apocalyptic setting is pretty awesome. Some of the environments are really impressive looking. The only rough spot was the part Panzer Dragoon-lite segment with the angelic mount. That kind of sucked and was tedious, but its over fairly quickly. Overall I think this game bears way more of a comparison to Soul Reaver than Zelda. Maybe thats splitting hairs, but I get serious SR vibes from it. Since we're never getting another SR game (sob) this series will do nicely instead.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Tokubetsu said:
Are you play on apocalyptic? I absolutely dread fights now. It's basically a guaranteed loss of like 3 health bars. Enemies are aggressive as fuck, do a ton of damage and it's always 1 or 2 big/weird strategy enemy and like 5 smaller ones. If I don't have full chaos, I just spam crossblade and dash sword attack.

Ya apocalyptic difficulty. I've actually gotten used to it a little bit. A lot of the moves I was not using are pretty handy now. Home run swing on the top of that list as it clears the little guys out. Charged crossblade hold those sword dancers as well.

Tokubetsu

_tetsuo_ said:
Ya apocalyptic difficulty. I've actually gotten used to it a little bit. A lot of the moves I was not using are pretty handy now. Home run awing on the top of that list as it clears the litte guys out. Charged crossblade hold those sword dancers as well.

If you're not using it, blade geyser actually works really well to interrupt the big guys and right out kill the small guys.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm going back and picking up stuff I missed, apparently one counter will put the regular blade dancers in finisher mode. Maybe it'll work with the ones in The Black Throne.

fake edit: The abyssal chain drags them stunned to your feet as well. I have to try some of this stuff out.

TheFallen

mid-game spoiler: Just got Ruin and
killed the worm
, loving it. :D
Had an amazing shot of a killing blow on the gladiator while he was on fire. The engine looks damn good at times. It's definitely inspired by WoW though, Ashlands reminded me of Barrens/Orc art or even Hellfire Peninsula.

KevinCow

Banned
Spoiler for the last dungeon:
Has anyone figured out how to get the hidden chest in the center room of the Black Throne? It says there should be one right next to where Azrael was being held. I assume it's another one of those silly things like destroying all the fire hydrants, but I can't figure out what it might be in this room.

Edit:
And another hidden chest on one of the buildings of the Drowned Pass. Anyone know how to get that one?

I'm really not liking these hidden chests. The ones where you see the chest, and then spend the next ten minutes trying to figure out how to get there? Those are fantastic. But these "do something completely unrelated to anything with no hits whatsoever" chests are just annoying.

Tokubetsu

KevinCow said:
Spoiler for the last dungeon:
Has anyone figured out how to get the hidden chest in the center room of the Black Throne? It says there should be one right next to where Azrael was being held. I assume it's another one of those silly things like destroying all the fire hydrants, but I can't figure out what it might be in this room.

Theres one for destroying all
hydrants? wtf? where?

Holy moly are there are lot of puzzles @
The Black Thorne
. Its like one after the other . There are probably 20+ puzzles to solve there, so you puzzle people are in for a treat . Some minor, some major .

Amazing job Vigil, hope the game sells like hot cakes, ya'll deserve it for the hard work and love put into this game .

BTW, Is the above area the last dungeon ?? Still working on it ...

Skilletor

Just beat Tiamat.

The bosses need lifebars. I thought I was doing something wrong when she would kneel, but I wasn't.

Oh well, fun boss battle otherwise and can't wait to see the next dungeon! :D

dralla

I found my first legendary forge. it turns me sword red and makes it bleed. my sword is bleeding. found it in the spider dungeon

edit. holy shit this boss is hard :[

Mejilan said:
Bah. Two hours wasted trying to get the Aerial Predator trophy. Closest I got was within 10 kills shy of the needed 160.

I got this on my second try, playing the 360 version on Apocalyptic difficulty.

While mounted, hold the right trigger, fast aim everything in sight and let the right trigger go, keep doing this every couple of seconds. Its not about how you can aim but its about how fast you can fire, so try to aim real quick and let loose the right trigger, rinse and repeat. If there are a group of 5 birds and you only locked 3 or 4 of them while holding the right trigger, still let it loose and do it over again. As I already said, don't hold the right trigger for more than 2-4 seconds, try to pump out as much blue stuff out of your bird as possible(not sure what it is that comes out of it:D)

Also when you will have to kill the big bird, do it as fast as possible while releasing maximum amount of ammo from your bird. Make sure you explode the fuel tanks down on the ground, once you get everything right, you should unlock in couple of tries, took about 10 - 15 minutes for me considering the whole part is not that small.

On my second try, I started at 559 and finished at 726, so I went over by 6. Hope this helps :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Ashlands was fantastic. Proves that Vigil has some of their own ideas and isn't aping Zelda 100% of the time.

sarcastor

do not, i repeat DO NOT waste money on upgrading the pistol. it is a waste of money. Even the blade is pretty weak against bigger the enemies. The pistol just annoys the small one.

btw if you use the B button on those small flying Zerg looking things or the small spiders, they give you life.

also shoot any crows, cause they give you green health too!

see5harp

Wow....cutscenes and finishing moves in this game look insane. Why the hell did they go with that horrible FMV sequence to start the game?

TheFallen

sarcastor said:
do not, i repeat DO NOT waste money on upgrading the pistol. it is a waste of money. Even the blade is pretty weak against bigger the enemies. The pistol just annoys the small one.

btw if you use the B button on those small flying Zerg looking things or the small spiders, they give you life.

also shoot any crows, cause they give you green health too!
I was wondering this about the pistol, thanks. Seemed like it was really weak for everything except shooting enemies that the crossblade can't reach.

Oh and all small enemies (bats, spiders, zombies, etc) can all be instant-killed for health.

Also helps to destroy stuff in the environment if you need extra souls. Particularly the glowing rocks in the waters of The Hollow, they even give health in addition to souls.

Xater

Amir0x said:
Beat Twilight Cathedral. It hasn't been too difficult so far on Apocalyptic, almost no deaths except once on Tiamat because when you hold the damn bomb you can't dodge for some reason. The combat itself is fairly straightforward, and dodging and blocking is incredibly simple. Dodging should have been quicker and with no delay between dodges, though.

As for the puzzle design in TC, it was definitely like an Easy Zelda dungeon, not immensely challenging but still satisfying. I would not at all feel it compares badly to a Zelda dungeon, so that's high praise indeed. I liked the way I got to that one
life skull, tossing a bomb through that hole like basketball
. T'was easy, but it amused me.

I think the best dungeon so far for me has been the spider one. I think that's the fourth.

Amir0x

Banned
Twilight Princess said:
better than twilight princess so far?

The opening is certainly more streamlined and action packed than the opening of Twilight Princess, but I enjoyed the opening of TP where others hated it for being too slow and boring. I appreciate a good bit of world building, which is what I felt Twilight Princess did with the cattle part and the fishing and what have you.

So far, the game is good, but has a lot of little small problems, which tell me it's not going to end up being Twilight Princess calibre. That's not to say it's still not worthy of being put alongside a Zelda title, I'm too early to tell.

Xater said:
I think the best dungeon so far for me has been the spider one. I think that's the fourth.

Not up to there yet. Can't wait, Twilight Cathedral was a good omen.

Damn it!

Just back from the shop empty handed, both Darksiders and Bayonetta staring at me and I just can't decide.

I can barely afford one, it's frustrating not being able to play a demo of Darksiders (even if it does no justice).

eXistor

Finished the first dungeon last night. The game sure got better! Can't wait to play it some more when I get back from work. Btw, there are people that hate the opening of Twilight Princess? That was just about the best part of the game, it's when you get out in the field when the game starts to show its flaws.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
how long is this game? I'm thinking of renting it, but I don't want to start it if I'm not going to be able to finish it.

I just don't have the cash to buy it outright at the moment.

MMaRsu

Opus Angelorum said:
Damn it!

Just back from the shop empty handed, both Darksiders and Bayonetta staring at me and I just can't decide.

I can barely afford one, it's frustrating not being able to play a demo of Darksiders (even if it does no justice).

Do like I did.. buy Darksiders, then trade it towards Bayonetta :). I'm sure there are people who wanted Darksiders but bought Bayonetta.

That's what I'm doing :).

Rez, the game is about 15 hours long

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
thanks. :)

I'll probably rent it, and then buy it in a week or two if it grabs me. I've heard nothing but good things, so I'm expecting it will.

@ MMaRsu

Thanks.

Does anyone happen to know what the trade in value for Darksiders would be, at Game? It's usually £20 I believe on most new titles.

MMaRsu

Opus Angelorum said:
@ MMaRsu

Thanks.

Does anyone happen to know what the trade in value for Darksiders would be, at Game? It's usually £20 I believe on most new titles.

Personally I never go to gameshops to trade in my games. Here in the Netherlands we have a forum called Xboxworld.nl where trading goes down great. Just this week I traded ACII and Batman:AA for DJ Hero + 18 euro's. Halo 3 for X-Men Origins, NGII for Lost Odyssey and Borderlands for RB:Beatles :p.

So isn't there something like that here on GAF? I hardly ever visit the trade/buy/sell thread, but I'd imagine stuff goes down there too.

forrest

formerly nacire
Ploid 3.0 said:
Anyone preordered this on amazon and don't want their home code? (worth a shot, figure not many people here use home)

Same as this guy, though I'd be down for any of the freebies people just don't care about. Horse Hat, Xbox War armor, PSN Home Armor, Mystery Code packed into some copies of the game.

On a side note I just finished the section with Ulthane! This game has soo much personality in my opinion.

kanugo

4195064444_cd325e9a00.jpg

Win A Custom PS3 In Our Darksiders Competition

How?

EU PlayStation Blog tells you how

Flipside

Finally getting the game by mail tomorrow. Would have picked it up sooner but too much snow (the white stuff outside, not the white stuff for you nose :p) kept me from doing that :)

Can anyone advise me what difficulty I should play on? For comparison: I finished Ninja Gaiden 2 (360) on the normal (easiest) setting and thought that was doable but didnt bother with the harder settings, veteran on MW2 pisses me off too much :)

Is apocalyptic harder than these things or is it worth playing and not a really frustrating challenge (for someone with my 'skillevel')

Thanks

Top Bottom