• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

KevinCow

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
For that one you will have to destroy all the fire hydrants in that area and that chest will unlock :D

In the level with Choking grounds, destroy all the graves and another chest will unlock.

Oh come on. That's just silly. As awesome as some of these puzzles have been, I'm kinda surprised that they threw something so arbitrary in there.

Was there any hint to that anywhere, or did they just expect you to stumble upon it?

Thanks, though. The other chest I was having trouble with had a similar solution.

KevinCow said:
I have that, and I've tried using it. But the stuff it sees is usually at least somewhat visible. But the chests I'm talking about just apparently don't exist.

Like, at the beginning, when Vulgrim tells you to collect 500 souls and gives you a map and compass of the area. There's one right next to where you start, but it appears to be on top of an arch. Throughout the whole game, I kept returning to that spot to try to get up there. Then when I finally did... no chest. There was something else, but not a chest, despite a chest being marked there. And the chest is still marked there.

Its there, but invisible. hahaha. I bought the guide and it said you had to break all fire hydrants and it appears. Thats why this totally reminds me of soul reaver. You just have to explore and mess with everything in the environments if you hope to find the powerups.

Firestorm

DeadGzuz said:
I was giving an example, I've never played the game. That's just how v-sync works. So in this case if the game is 30-59fps and v-sync is on then the game will be 30fps. Where if the game is 47fps with triple buffering it will be 47fps and with no tearing.
Would prefer 30fps v-sync to "up to 60fps" with tearing.

Skilletor

I'd much rather it start up with me losing my memory and landing on a beach somewhere. And then, after wandering around talking to random people about how interesting this book is or how monsters have suddenly been amassing in the mysterious forest, and we can't forget about how my bird has taken flight after a squirrel and I wonder if somebody can retrieve it, I think it would be cool if the woman that found me suddenly disappeared. You see, there was a special salve in the mysterious forest where monsters have been amassing and the silly twit thought it'd be a good idea to go find it. But it's okay, because her woodsman father has a sword that he can give me. But I can't just go out and use the sword, first I should practice on some bushes, some random villagers, and maybe their pet dogs.

Of course, after this, I'm ready to go to the mysterious forest.

But not until I've run a few errands for the kind townspeople.

After that, they'll trust me enough to let me go into the mysterious forest even though I'm pretty sure that the twit that thought it was a good idea to go into the mysterious forest is pretty dead because there are monsters amassing in the mysterious forest.

mysteriousforestmysteriousforestmysteriousforest

Chrange said:
Make use of a double post!

And the flight doesn't feel that great compared to HAWX...but what the fuck does that have to do with anything? Getting tired of seeing people compare the combat in an action game to that in an adventure game. He rides a horse - how's the speed compare to Need for Speed?
Maybe they shouldn't have tried to replicate the combat of god of war if these comparisons shouldn't be made.

Edit: Also I didn't get the horse yes but how does it control? Like a car in an arcade racing game or like in shadow of colossus or like in assassins creed because if its like a car then sure I can try comparing it to need for speed then if you want?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I love how the Tremor Gauntlet looks like a demon :lol

Lostconfused said:
Maybe they shouldn't have tried to replicate the combat of god of war if these comparisons shouldn't be made.

Let's start a petition for Darksiders 2 to have worse combat, then.

Sidzed2

Well, the game still has my interest and I certainly like it overall, but I just beat the second dungeon last night and it too suffered from a weak boss battle. It's a decent facsimile, but Darksiders just doesn't measure up to its inspirations - not yet, anyway.

It's beginning to feel like a very good, but not great game. Which is nothing to sneeze at, I suppose. I hate to say it, but it feels like this possible franchise is still a game away from being great.

Update coming to fix the screen tearing.

Darksiders 360 Screen-Tearing Fix on Way
Joe Mad confirms Vigil working to eliminate graphical issues on Xbox 360.
by Matt Wales, IGN UK

UK, January 7, 2010 - With Vigil Games' apocalyptic action adventure Darksiders poised for release on January 8 in the UK and Europe, we had chance to sit down with studio head Joe Madureira during his whistle stop tour of London and managed to get some official word on reported screen-tearing issues plaguing only the Xbox 360 version of the game.

Madeuira confirmed that Vigil has been made aware of the issue and is already planning a fix: "It's something that's really not a difficult fix for us and so we're going to implement a patch to resolve the problem. We're fairly certain it'll happen really soon so look out for it."

We thoroughly enjoyed Vigil's inaugural effort and it's great to hear the studio's eager to iron out the wrinkles so soon after they've come to light.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1058958p1.html

John

Deepack said:
Damn, the design of the second first boss is amazing. (The fat prison guard thing, forgot it's name).
Jailer? Yep.

Quick poll - on the Jailer, did you play in 'third person shooter mode' (press R3), or did you Z-target him? I Z-targeted him and circle strafed while tossing the glaive at him for five minutes before realizing it wasn't hitting his boil. Did it automatically hit the tumor for anyone else?

Denzar

John said:
Jailer? Yep.

Quick poll - on the Jailer, did you play in 'third person shooter mode' (press R3), or did you Z-target him? I Z-targeted him and circle strafed while tossing the glaive at him for five minutes before realizing it wasn't hitting his boil. Did it automatically hit the tumor for anyone else?

Nope, I used the over the shoulder targeting.

't Was easy though.

Ricker

APZonerunner said:
I've just posted my review. I've spent a lot of time with the game, some 30 hours, and I'm now going back in on my proper Xbox Live Account as I enjoyed the first time on my review account so much.

Review in short: Not sure it's quite an RPG (as we were told over and over, being an RPG Site) but it's bloody good fun. It has RPG elements, and it's a good game, so I was more than happy to review it in the end.

Nice screenshots in that review,good job...starting the second dungeon now,the trek going there was fun as hell aslo with the big guy ;)

EzLink

Banned
sweetvar26 said:

Thank god. I just defeated the second dungeon, and while I'm totally loving the game so far I'm more than happy to put it on hold until the screen tearing problem is resolved. It totally takes you out of the immersion of the experience when your screen is wrinkling every two seconds

Also I'm loving the boss designs so far. The battles themselves haven't been anything groundbreaking, but visually its been awesome. And especially the end to the second boss fight... fucking brutal :lol

Booser

The game is being compared to Zelda and people are complaining that it starts off slowly? Really? How many of these people have actually played Twilight Princess?

Don't get me started on THAT shit

Was gonna post the exact same thing. I love Zelda and OOT is still in my all time top 5 but I just couldnt get into TP at all. THe opening few hours just felt like such a chore. But thats a thread for another day

MMaRsu

Goddamnit this game just gets better and better the further I get.

george_us said:
This game's defensive mechanics are fucking terrible.

All I use is dodge, what else do you need?

george_us

MMaRsu said:
All I use is dodge, what else do you need?
The problem is dodge is too god damn slow to be effective most of the time. Coupled with the fact that it has no invincibility frames and a long cool down time, and it's a crap shoot as to whether you can effectively doge an enemy attack. I'm on Stilitha now and I can't figure out the timing to dodging her attacks.

george_us said:
The problem is dodge is too god damn slow to be effective most of the time. Coupled with the fact that it has no invincibility frames and a long cool down time, and it's a crap shoot as to whether you can effectively doge an enemy attack. I'm on Stilitha now and I can't figure out the timing to dodging her attacks.

Your not doing it right then. I felt somewhat the same but then her pattern clicked and I destroyed her!

KevinCow

Banned
Woo, just beat the game. It took about 17-18 hours, though I explored a lot. If I hadn't just wandered around so much, it probably could have been beaten in about 12 hours.

I'll have to let it sink in before I make a final judgment, but the game was for the most part pretty fantastic. It could have been longer, but other than that I can't think of any major complaints, just a few nitpicks here and there. I'll definitely be playing it again.

I really, really hope this game's decently successful. It deserves it.

MMaRsu

george_us said:

I had like 5 tries trying to kill her, but then I waited and tried again an hour later and killed her in one try. Just dodge sideways.. Dodge isn't too slow at all, it's all I use :lol

reeeeeeeeeaally want to try this. hope a PS3 demo is on the way.

also: i thought PS3 had tearing/etc. too? i thought this was one of "those" games where they look/perform damn near identical- which means they both share the same deficiencies like framerate and what not.

no DLC though. :/

Very impressed with the game, looks great and runs great too (PS3 version). Controls took a bit to get used too, and the combat is basic so far, but enjoyable.

At the poster above, Vigil said there will never be a demo as it would be impossible to convey the whole games style in a demo.

do you ever get a longer
hook shot? several grab locations seems out of reach and I don't know if I'm not figuring out how to do it or if it gets an upgrade.

one thing this game is horrible at is telling you what you can climb/stand on. The environment makes it seem like you could jump on a ledge to get higher, but that ledge is actually an invisible wall.

Tokubetsu

Linkzg said:
do you ever get a longer
hook shot? several grab locations seems out of reach and I don't know if I'm not figuring out how to do it or if it gets an upgrade.

one thing this game is horrible at is telling you what you can climb/stand on. The environment makes it seem like you could jump on a ledge to get higher, but that ledge is actually an invisible wall.

Nope. Some of them you have
activate in a way.

This last dungeon area has some of the hardest combat on apocalyptic. Regular enemies hitting you for like half to a full life bar. If you let the combo you, say goodbye to 3-4 shards. Minibosses hitting for 3.5 bars each shot :lol

Tokubetsu said:
activate in a way.

how so?

right now I'm at the area where you pretty much start (that little city block next to the library stairs). how would I get that one?

Tokubetsu

Linkzg said:
how so?

right now I'm at the area where you pretty much start (that little city block next to the library stairs). how would I get that one?

Are you sure thats a hook shot location? There a bunch of little glowing objects that I've yet to get to. I am missing the final ability/power though. That's probably why.

MMaRsu

Tokubetsu said:
activate in a way.

This last dungeon area has some of the hardest combat on apocalyptic. Regular enemies hitting you for like half to a full life bar. If you let the combo you, say goodbye to 3-4 shards. Minibosses hitting for 3.5 bars each shot :lol

That's the last dungeon? :(

Tokubetsu said:
Are you sure thats a hook shot location? There a bunch of little glowing objects that I've yet to get to. I am missing the final ability/power though. That's probably why.

It's a glowing blue orb and there is an elevated chest, so I'm pretty sure.

Amir0x

Banned
Beat Twilight Cathedral. It hasn't been too difficult so far on Apocalyptic, almost no deaths except once on Tiamat because when you hold the damn bomb you can't dodge for some reason. The combat itself is fairly straightforward, and dodging and blocking is incredibly simple. Dodging should have been quicker and with no delay between dodges, though.

As for the puzzle design in TC, it was definitely like an Easy Zelda dungeon, not immensely challenging but still satisfying. I would not at all feel it compares badly to a Zelda dungeon, so that's high praise indeed. I liked the way I got to that one
life skull, tossing a bomb through that hole like basketball
. T'was easy, but it amused me.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
No shiny box, or in-box code for the UK. :( Shiny box looks so good, as well.

I did get a free t-shirt, though. Took a pic for you all...

4255674086_948fc960bf_o.jpg

Amir0x said:
Beat Twilight Cathedral. It hasn't been too difficult so far on Apocalyptic, almost no deaths except once on Tiamat because when you hold the damn bomb you can't dodge for some reason. The combat itself is fairly straightforward, and dodging and blocking is incredibly simple. Dodging should have been quicker and with no delay between dodges, though.

As for the puzzle design in TC, it was definitely like an Easy Zelda dungeon, not immensely challenging but still satisfying. I would not at all feel it compares badly to a Zelda dungeon, so that's high praise indeed. I liked the way I got to that one
life skull, tossing a bomb through that hole like basketball
. T'was easy, but it amused me.
better than twilight princess so far?

this game and my OCD will be the end of me. I try playing each section as much as i can, and explore. I feel i found everything i possibly could, i check the darksiders guide, and find out i missed like two chests???? its insane!!! Then i look and see that you can get a trophy for killing five bats without touching the ground. Imma have to go back and do that in one of those killing rooms.

panda21

damn it i just cant make my mind up on this. i hate the main character design, the combat is going to be awful after bayonetta, and the zelda aspects sound a bit half-baked which will suck after playing spirit traxx

but i <3 zelda so much...

TrAcEr_x90 said:
this game and my OCD will be the end of me. I try playing each section as much as i can, and explore. I feel i found everything i possibly could, i check the darksiders guide, and find out i missed like two chests???? its insane!!! Then i look and see that you can get a trophy for killing five bats without touching the ground. Imma have to go back and do that in one of those killing rooms.

Twilight Cathedral is the place for that, no question.
1000/1000 on the game. It was a blast, except for grinding out the last of the weapon levels to finish off the achievements. :D

Maybe i just have different tastes now, but I couldnt get into zelda twilight princess at all!!Last zelda game the kept me hooked was ocarina of time. This game is just so brutal and cool, i keep playing and exploring

corrosivefrost said:
Twilight Cathedral is the place for that, no question.
1000/1000 on the game. It was a blast, except for grinding out the last of the weapon levels to finish off the achievements. :D

Is there anything i need to keep in mind of for trophys??? like I will need to back track through the whole game right? Theres never a time that I will miss the opportunity for a trophy right? I just dont know if i want to replay the game if im spending tons of hours tyring to find everything the first time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TrAcEr_x90 said:
Is there anything i need to keep in mind of for trophys??? like I will need to back track through the whole game right? Theres never a time that I will miss the opportunity for a trophy right? I just dont know if i want to replay the game if im spending tons of hours tyring to find everything the first time.

There's three missable trophies. Open Air Parking, Aerial Predator, and Who's Counting. Here's an achievement guide with everything you need to know.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=197091

As long as you play the game on Apocalyptic, you should be able to get a Platinum in a single playthrough.

Natakuu

Banned
Been playing through this for a couple hours now, really enjoying it so far. Playing on Apocalyptic but it hasn't been very challenging. Looking forward to reaching the first dungeon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Firestorm said:
I'm in The Hollows. wtf am I supposed to be doing with these trains :(

If this is the room I'm thinking of(with the crank that moves the platform over), you just need to put the big train on it and move it back to push into the corner for a platform. The other piece of the train didn't seem to have a point, I guess you just needed to move it so the train would fit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Firestorm said:
I'm in The Hollows. wtf am I supposed to be doing with these trains :(

Get the big one to the other side so you can climb on top of it to access the demonic growth

dralla

how do you use empty vessels? I have full health and I thought if I opened a green chest it would fill a vessel? but it's not

Top Bottom