• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Tokubetsu

Mejilan said:
Please. Zelda beat Darksiders to the end-of-the-world scenario a full generation ago, what with Wind Waker and all. Darksiders is just so derivative... ;p

I'm just saying. Watching the new Zelda game have a giant broadsword called rupee eater :lol

KevinCow

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I'm just saying. Watching the new Zelda game have a giant broadsword called rupee eater :lol

I'm not sure if Nintendo's aware enough of games outside their studios to do something like this.

Miyamoto: "Darksiders? Is that a PC game?"
Iwata: (laughs)

Can you get all achievments/trophys in one play through? I just finished that flying part, wondering if i can go back to it at any point?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TrAcEr_x90 said:
Can you get all achievments/trophys in one play through? I just finished that flying part, wondering if i can go back to it at any point?

You can get all the achievements in a single playthrough if you play on Apocalyptic. However 3 are missable, and the one during the flying section is one of them. You'll want to reload an older save and play through that section again if you want to 1000/Platinum the game.

KevinCow

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:

You can get all achievements in one playthrough, but some are missable. You won't be able to do the flying segment again, no. So if you didn't get it the first time or didn't make a save right before it, you're not going to get it this time.

Joei

Hey, I've seen a few people mention that the ps3 version is slightly better, and I was wondering why that is so. I don't want to get into/start a console wars or anything like that, it's just that I'm planning on picking up a ps3 in a month/month and a half and want to know if I should wait till I get that or if I should just pick up the 360 version. And I don't "need" to have the game now, I'm perfectly fine with waiting, plus I'm currently playing another game (Beyond Good and Evil) and I really don't like to play more than 1 game at a time.

As for the game, I'm totally liking what I'm seeing. Those trailers are bad ass, and the comparisions to Zelda make my mouth water. Is there a demo out? I looked online on my 360 last night and couldn't find anything.

Edit - oh... I started to look through the thread a little more and found a mention of the differences.... that'll do fine. I'll see what I want to do when I finish BG&E.

Just beat the second dungeon. Griever wasn't a great fight but it worked for me considering how much trouble I had with the first boss. Love all the weapons and upgrades so far except the gun seems underwhelming. I like how the areas flow together. its in between completely linear and overwhelmingly complex. I'm finding a lot of the secrets just through natural exploration. Being able to use the Serpent Holes makes backtracking painless.

Edit: But I do notice that every time I load up the game, my invert Y-axis resets to normal. Probably why I was having trouble with the first boss and just didn't notice that that was the problem.

EzLink

Banned
Joei said:
Hey, I've seen a few people mention that the ps3 version is slightly better, and I was wondering why that is so. I don't want to get into/start a console wars or anything like that, it's just that I'm planning on picking up a ps3 in a month/month and a half and want to know if I should wait till I get that or if I should just pick up the 360 version. And I don't "need" to have the game now, I'm perfectly fine with waiting, plus I'm currently playing another game (Beyond Good and Evil) and I really don't like to play more than 1 game at a time.

As for the game, I'm totally liking what I'm seeing. Those trailers are bad ass, and the comparisions to Zelda make my mouth water. Is there a demo out? I looked online on my 360 last night and couldn't find anything.

As far as I'm aware, the reason the PS3 version is superior at the moment is because it barely has any (if any at all) screen tearing, where as the 360 version has massive screen tearting. However, Vigil already has a patch ready for it, and we are just waiting for it to be released, so in a few days it won't even be an issue.

No demo is out nor is one due to come out. A short play session is not nearly enough to give the player the full scope of the game

And yeah, the game is totally badass! I'm loving the Zelda style dungeons too. This is one of, if not the, best "Zelda clone" I've ever played. I don't think straight up calling it a clone of Zelda is very fair though, because it has plenty of other awesome elements from other games yet still is able to retain a unique identity. I'm beyond impressed that a game of this caliber could come as a developers first title

Xater

Ninja Face said:
Just beat the second dungeon. Griever wasn't a great fight but it worked for me considering how much trouble I had with the first boss. Love all the weapons and upgrades so far except the gun seems underwhelming. I like how the areas flow together. its in between completely linear and overwhelmingly complex. I'm finding a lot of the secrets just through natural exploration. Being able to use the Serpent Holes makes backtracking painless.

Edit: But I do notice that every time I load up the game, my invert Y-axis resets to normal. Probably why I was having trouble with the first boss and just didn't notice that that was the problem.

The gun has it's purpose. You can use it while riding and you can use it at a greater distance.

Joei

EzLink said:
As far as I'm aware, the reason the PS3 version is superior at the moment is because it barely has any (if any at all) screen tearing, where as the 360 version has massive screen tearting. However, Vigil already has a patch ready for it, and we are just waiting for it to be released, so in a few days it won't even be an issue.

No demo is out nor is one due to come out. A short play session is not nearly enough to give the player the full scope of the game

And yeah, the game is totally badass! I'm loving the Zelda style dungeons too. This is one of, if not the, best "Zelda clone" I've ever played. I don't think straight up calling it a clone of Zelda is very fair though, because it has plenty of other awesome elements from other games yet still is able to retain a unique identity. I'm beyond impressed that a game of this caliber could come as a developers first title

Sweet. Well, I'll see in a few weeks what I want to do. Thanks for your impressions. I can't believe I've skipped over this thread, let alone knowledge of this game, till just the other day. This game just looks and sounds exactly like what I've been itching to play.

Firestorm

I can't believe THQ marketed this with the God of War slant and pit the game against Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno. What a stupid, stupid decision. The hunger for Zelda games is so much greater at this time.

If they put out a demo, it should be part of a dungeon. Like the end section of the first dungeon where you go to the three puzzle rooms for the three swords which unlocks the final boss. Maybe change it a bit so it's just two, have some combat, then cut off after the cutscene introduces the boss.

Hmm playing Darksiders is making me think that maybe I just don't like adventure games like this. I am 2 or 3 hours in and I am just not feeling it, the biggest problem I guess is that exploration isn't that which this game seems to be all about.

Zeliard

Rented this today. Gonna play it when I get home. Should make for a nice change of pace with Bayonetta. Those two games are gonna dominate my weekend.

So with Darksiders, as I understand it, the best recommendation is to start off on the higher difficulty (Torchlight-style)?

ZealousD

Lostconfused said:
Hmm playing Darksiders is making me think that maybe I just don't like adventure games like this. I am 2 or 3 hours in and I am just not feeling it, the biggest problem I guess is that exploration isn't that which this game seems to be all about.

Don't write it off until you're done the Twilight Cathedral.

Zeliard said:
So with Darksiders, as I understand it, the best recommendation is to start off on the higher difficulty (Torchlight-style)?

Yeah, Darksiders isn't a challenge on Normal. If you've always thought Zelda was too easy, play on Apocalyptic.

ZealousD said:
Don't write it off until you're done the Twilight Cathedral.
Actually I stopped right after finishing it mainly because I was kind of worn out after going through the whole dungeon and needed a break.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lostconfused said:

I don't know why you're surprised. You were basically bashing the game the first time I saw you mention it.

_tetsuo_ said:
I don't know why you're surprised. You were basically bashing the game the first time I saw you mention it.
I was stating what I thought of it after playing the game, if that's bashing it then fine.

Edit: Also I am not really surprised I was just trying to see if I would like it after spending some more time with it.

Skilletor

Lostconfused said:

You think? I've got 6 hours and only 59 minutes of it is combat. The rest has been me running around exploring.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lostconfused said:
I was stating what I thought of it after playing the game, if that's bashing it then fine.

Edit: Also I am not really surprised I was just trying to see if I would like it after spending some more time with it.

I'm not talking about the post you just made. I'm talking about your response to someone who posted a link to the official thread.

Lostconfused said:
That's how a thread looks like for a mediocre game that barely anyone cares about.

Why is it mediocre?

Lostconfused said:
What they showed about it. Heaven vs Hell, bulky character design that's rather common in a lot of games. The brief moments of gameplay in the trailer are all action and seem no different from all games of that type.

Now that you have played it, and it certainly IS different from all games of this type, you just "don't like adventure games like this". Looks like you were predetermined to have a problem with Darksiders.

_tetsuo_ said:
Looks like you were predetermined to have a problem with Darksiders.
Wow I already forgot about making those to posts. And yeah its funny how life works out like that.

Edit: Also by these types of games I meant Zelda and Darksiders. Because I did play through Ocarina of Time now but I don't remember any of that anymore. And looking at the comparisons being made I am just assuming since I didn't like Darksiders its a good thing that I didn't play any Zelda games because I probably wouldn't like them either then.

Ricker

Normal is fine and challenging enough I find...Tiamat on Apocalyptic must take forever and a few rooms in there also...unless you are a patient gamer,or very very good,I suggest normal.

Ricker said:
Normal is fine and challenging enough I find...Tiamat on Apocalyptic must take forever and a few rooms in there also...unless you are a patient gamer,or very very good,I suggest normal.
Surprisingly you can just spam the cross blade against her and not get hit at all.

samratty

I picked up Bayonetta today, but my friend picked up Darksiders. Haven't even put Bayonetta in my 360 yet we were having so much fun with Darksiders.

Other than the screen tearing and framerate drops, the former of which are sadly copious (360 version), I really like the game. The graphics aren't amazing but it has great scale and I'm a fan of the art style.
Then we get down to what matters, gameplay. The combat system isn't too indepth so far, but it's not supposed to be Bayonetta. It stands up with GoW imo, it's fun and has enough depth to play around with.
It hasn't gone totally Zelda/Soul Reaver yet, which I'm looking forward to. Got upto what I assume is the first dungeon, just after the Panzer Dragoon bit (which was a bit weak and went on for too long).
I'm really looking forward to playing it again, I'll almost definitely buy it for myself when I'm done with Bayonetta and have some cash to spare.

Now to play some Bayonetta! Two great releases on the same day, it's overwhelming.

Booser

Awesome, awesome game.

First thing I noticed was how much better it actually looks in motion on my TV compared to the screenshots on the web. It's a fantastic looking game. Add me to the camp who loves the art style too. The animation on War is top class.

Finished the Twilight Cathedral and gave Samael Tiamat's heart. Holy hell that was fun. I guess the opening is a bit slow if you are expecting to be thrown straight into a Zelda style game but it serves its purpose to teach you the combat controls. The game really starts at the cathedral though. In a bizarre way it felt nostalgic using the good old bomb plants to solve puzzles, even flinging your bommera - sorry - crossblades through the torches to set them on fire, followed by the little chime as a door opens.

Speaking of the combat, its not overly complicated but it is extremely brutal and satisfying at the same time. The finishing moves look excellent and unlike many games where combat can get to be a chore Im still finding it to be incredibly fun.

Cant wait to get my horse.....

So far its one highly recommended title. I think the description in the thread title is accurate ;) Even the back of the box is one of the freaking coolest Ive ever seen.

Oh yeah the infamous tearing. I have the 360 version and I did notice some in the Twilight Cathdral. Haven't seen anything noticeable elsewhere though. It hasn't proved distracting to me or anything, but then again I rarely take heed of things like that.

ZealousD

Ricker said:

Apocalyptic isn't that hard. It's not near as hard as Ninja Gaiden Black on Normal or Ninja Gaiden 2 on Warrior. It helps that the game has liberal checkpoints and will fill up your health by quite a bit when you die. I still haven't used a consumable yet and I've started on the third dungeon. That said it will still keep you on your toes and I've still died a fair amount.

Zeliard

Yeah, I think I'm gonna start on Apocalyptic. There was one review that basically said that normal difficulty gives a poor impression of the combat depth, since you can apparently get through it by mostly button-mashing.

sinnergy

hdn said:
We actually have the patch done, but it needs to go through official testing channels before it can be released to the public. I can't give an exact date because it'll be out of our hands, I don't want to speculate one either, it'll just get people pissed....sorry :(

Wow fast work! Thanks.. smartt ;) you know how the internet works ;)

Any haven't touched the game any more.. waiting for the patch.

cheers

ZealousD said:
You can get all the achievements in a single playthrough if you play on Apocalyptic. However 3 are missable, and the one during the flying section is one of them. You'll want to reload an older save and play through that section again if you want to 1000/Platinum the game.

ddaaaammit, i think i might have a save prior. What are the 3 missable ones? excluding the flying one.

Amir0x

Banned
Ricker said:

What is difficult about Tiamat? Seriously I took Tiamat down so quickly on Apocalyptic. One death only because I didn't realize you can't dodge holding a bomb in your hand, and her swooping move fucked me up enough to kill me. It was
a bomb to the chest, blade to the fire+bomb for explosion, quick slashes. Repeat again, avoiding her crazy swooping bullshit. Then she's on the ground. From here on it's incredibly easy - she makes extremely easy to avoid swings at you, occasionally does a little *dap* with her tail that takes off virtually no damage even on Apocalyptic, and she does an extremely telegraphed explosion bash to the ground that is also simplistic to avoid. Also she throws fireballs, which she also charges up for a second, so all you need to do is put some tiny distance between you and Tiamat and dodging is *yawn*. Avoiding these things while taking a bunch of slashes at Tiamat is no problem at all. When she goes down, you slash at her face/chest and all you need is three times and she's gone.

I think people really overhyped the difficulty of Twilight Cathedral altogether.

ZealousD said:
Apocalyptic isn't that hard. It's not near as hard as Ninja Gaiden Black on Normal or Ninja Gaiden 2 on Warrior. It helps that the game has liberal checkpoints and will fill up your health by quite a bit when you die. I still haven't used a consumable yet and I've started on the third dungeon. That said it will still keep you on your toes and I've still died a fair amount.

what is up with block???? i would love to try and string long combos out, but block doesnt seem to work with the mid sized enemies? is it not supposed too? gets kind boring when i do 3 hit combos and have to just dash out right away.

ZealousD

TrAcEr_x90 said:
what is up with block???? i would love to try and string long combos out, but block doesnt seem to work with the mid sized enemies? is it not supposed too? gets kind boring when i do 3 hit combos and have to just dash out right away.

I dunno, I never block, just evade. Hell that's how I got through both Ninja Gaiden games too, lol.

I dont know, whats i discovered blocking was the best thing in god of war games i just used that a tooon. I wonder if i need to be locked on first before i can block a bigger guy?

ZealousD

I think that one of the best moves in the game is the sword dash. Whenever an enemy gets ready to attack, I dodge back then dodge to the side real quick. Then I'll basically dash forward and quickly hit the sword button. Even if the enemy is finishing up his attack, if you've done it right you should be out of range. Then you're immediately in range to resume your combo. Dashing isn't just a way to evade, it works pretty good offensively too.

Booser said:
Block does work, but you have to be stationary. I just dodge, its more effective anyway.

i dont think so. i fought some demon in white blue armon. stood there and blocked. went right through

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
It doesn't work, period.

What? I counter attack all the time.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
i dont think so. i fought some demon in white blue armon. stood there and blocked. went right through

Well ya you cant block most of the big guys attacks.

that makes no sense at all. you can just block zombies and small armor demons. and everything else in the game is unblockable. Not sure i like that at all.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
That's what dashing is for. Dash away and follow with the sword lunge. You hardly have to break offense.

Zeliard said:
Sigh. Just tried to install Darksiders to hard drive and it's telling me it can't read the disc. The game still boots up to the main menu when I run it from the disc, but it looks like it'll just end up locking on me at some point.

Fucking Blockbuster. May the wrath of War wreak havoc upon you.

Ouch

Top Bottom