• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cameron: "...we will provide resettlement for thousands more Syrian refugees. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Not entirely in line with the British politics of immigration other than how much of a crisis it is at the moment, but this seems like relavent news to be posted as it shows the prime minister's definitely behind getting more Syrian immigrants in and as easily as possible.

cameron-promises-britain-will-take-syrian-refugees.jpg

From his Facebook page:

Given the scale of the Syrian crisis, and the suffering of the people, I can announce we will provide resettlement for thousands more Syrian refugees.
We will take Syrians from the refugee camps. This provides them with a direct and safe route to the UK, rather than risking the hazardous journey which has cost so many lives.
We will discuss how best to design these schemes and the numbers we will take with NGOs and partners. We will set out further details next week.

We have given £900m of aid to help Syrian refugees - the second biggest bilateral donor. And we are funding shelter, food, water and vital medical supplies for millions of desperate Syrian refugees.

Other articles related include:

BBC: David Cameron: UK to accept 'thousands' more Syrian refugees

Britain, he said, would act with "head and heart" to help those most in need.
He also announced a further £100m in humanitarian aid for those in camps in Syria, Turkey, Jordan and the Lebanon.
Earlier this week, Mr Cameron said accepting more people was not the simple answer to the situation, described by some as the worst humanitarian crisis since World War Two.
But speaking in Lisbon after talks with his Portuguese counterpart, Mr Cameron said the UK had a "moral responsibility" to help those displaced by the four-year conflict in Syria and more details would follow next week following discussions with organisations working in the region.

Meanwhile, a large group of migrants stuck at Budapest railway station for days have set off on foot, saying they intend to walk to Austria, as the Hungarian authorities try to contain thousands trying to reach western Europe.

'Deeply moved'

Calls for the UK to take in more refugees have intensified after the publication of a picture of the body of a drowned three-year-old Syrian boy, Alan Kurdi, washed up a Turkish beach.
Speaking to the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme, the boy's aunt, Tima Kurdi, said his and his brother's death should be "a wake-up call for the whole world".

The government's approach to the crisis has continued to come under pressure from public and political figures, including:
Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has written to Mr Cameron calling for the UK to accept more refugees and said Scotland would take in 1,000 "as a starting point"
Ex Lib Dem leader Lord Ashdown said the PM's response had been "shameful"
Bristol's mayor urged residents of the city to use their spare rooms to help
Former Conservative Defence Secretary Liam Fox called for a safe zone in Syria to help those in fear of persecution
A petition calling on the UK to accept more refugees has got more than three times the 100,000 signatures needed for it to be eligible for a possible debate in Parliament

I would also like to plug in a friend's opinion as he's a contributor to Huffpost and is definitely far more knowledgable about this than me, and the article seems well written to a layperson such as myself concerning this immigration crisis.

Huffington Post's Calum Miller: Stop Making the Migrant Crisis About Us

This is not about us. It is not entirely clear whether we would suffer from increasing our refugee intake. But suppose we did. How could we possibly lose anything close to what these families would gain from being here? And how is it that our being lucky enough to be born into affluence could possibly justify not sacrificing some of that for those born into warzones? How can we talk so much about our own economic growth and yet ignore the families torn apart around the world, who come humbly to us, knocking on our door for help? Economics is important. And practical politics is important. But it is all worthless if it is not put to the service of those who need our help most desperately.

I am a conservative, as are many of my friends. But most of us are conservative because we think that conservative policies help to deliver better outcomes for the most vulnerable in society. That is, for example, why we still think that economic growth is important. If we did not genuinely think conservatism helped the most vulnerable people in society, many of us would cease to be conservatives. So conservatism is no excuse for callousness or for selfishness towards those not lucky enough to have been born thousands of times richer than others in the world, as the average Brit is. There are parties we could have voted for if we wanted that.

So it is with sadness that I call on the party I once half-endorsed to cease their ruthlessness. To stop using reasonable economic questions as a way of turning attention from the challenging ones that call for our sacrifice. David Cameron tells us that 'the most important thing is to try and bring peace and stability to [Syria].' This may be true, but it is a diversion. Peace and stability in the Middle East is not going to happen any time soon, and there are thousands of people homeless, starving and dying right now.

What do you guys think?

Lamel

Banned
The polarity in the European response is fascinating. Some countries are all for it. Some countries are vehemently against it.

I wish wealthy gulf countries would take this stance too.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The polarity in the European response is fascinating. Some countries are all for it. Some countries are vehemently against it.

Look at the populist voting habits of their constituents to see the "moral" choices being made by politicians.

Nobody will sacrifice a reelection.

Aside from the immigration angle of this, Cameron wanted to oust the Syrian government militarily before being denied by Parliament. I wonder what his stance on the refugees would have been were Britain involved in a war with his blessing - a war that would have caused these people to flee their homes.

pulsemyne

And there was David the other day claiming we had already done our fair share even when people were telling him we hadn't. What a fucking moron of a PM. Also fuck you British press for demonising these poor people for month after month and suddenly changing their tune when they saw the horrible reality. Opportunistic shit heads.

grumble

I genuinely wonder what this is going to do to those countries. I mean it's a massive increase in support for many people who will never be able to give back what they take, who have a very different culture, and who will quickly take up a chunk of these countries' populations.

It's fascinating to watch.

Walpurgis

Banned
I genuinely wonder what this is going to do to those countries. I mean it's a massive increase in support for many people who will never be able to give back what they take, who have a very different culture, and who will quickly take up a chunk of these countries' populations.

It's fascinating to watch.

Thousands of refugees isn't going to do a thing to a country with over 60 million people.

This is not about us. It is not entirely clear whether we would suffer from increasing our refugee intake. But suppose we did. How could we possibly lose anything close to what these families would gain from being here? And how is it that our being lucky enough to be born into affluence could possibly justify not sacrificing some of that for those born into warzones? How can we talk so much about our own economic growth and yet ignore the families torn apart around the world, who come humbly to us, knocking on our door for help? Economics is important. And practical politics is important. But it is all worthless if it is not put to the service of those who need our help most desperately.
This paragraph in particular is excellent because it articulates my exact sentiments. I just get so angry at anti-immigrant people because of the bolded.

They're too busy funding the islamic terrorists that forced the Syrian refugees to flee their country

bomma_man

Thousands of refugees isn't going to do a thing to a country with over 60 million people.

This paragraph in particular is excellent because it articulates my exact sentiments. I just get so angry at anti-immigrant people because of the bolded.

Wow that's a great paragraph. Makes me even more embarrassed at the state of things in Australia.

Symphonia

Banned
e have given £900m of aid to help Syrian refugees - the second biggest bilateral donor. And we are funding shelter, food, water and vital medical supplies for millions of desperate Syrian refugees.
So, Dave, you have £900M to aid thousands upon thousands of refugees and migrants, but your own government do everything they can to ensure their own people don't get aid when they need it? Gotcha.

So Germany will take the economic migrants and UK will take the most vulnerable? It's politics I guess. Most will be in a bad situation but it's not clear that there is any really satisfying solution.

pulsemyne

:lol

Glad to see Cameron come out and say this.
He had to come out and say it after the media turned on him. The dribbling moron was trying to play to the UkiP crowd until everyone saw what the fuck was happening. I wouldn't be surprised if he's out next week kissing immigrants to try and make it look like he has something approaching a human heart.

Symphonia

Banned
This feels like it was ripped straight from the Facebook comments.
Or from the mind of anyone who has to suffer through having such an utter cunt run your country. Considering it was 'his people' who voted him in to power in the first place, you'd think he'd put 'his people' first. I have no objection to helping out the refugees, but I do object to Cameron giving £900M to aid the cause when he spends so little and does nothing to help people in need in his own country, 'his' people.

pulsemyne

In a sense it's fair. The quote from the OP is very nice and completely true but rings hollow from a government that wants to gut the domestic welfare system.
And help cause the deaths of 2000 people with their gutting of the system. Let's face it though, that has fuck all to do with money and is more about ideology.

Mariolee

In a sense it's fair. The quote from the OP is very nice and completely true but rings hollow from a government that wants to gut the domestic welfare system.

Or from the mind of anyone who has to suffer through having such an utter cunt run your country. Considering it was 'his people' who voted him in to power in the first place, you'd think he'd put 'his people' first. I have no objection to helping out the refugees, but I do object to Cameron giving £900M to aid the cause when he spends so little and does nothing to help people in need in his own country, 'his' people.

Ah, I had no idea he was so inconsistent and is mismanaging the country. Basically, he's saying the right things but only because of political pressure and not of any of the morality he is spouting on about?

bomma_man

Ah, I had no idea he was so inconsistent and is mismanaging the country. Basically, he's saying the right things but only because of political pressure and not of any of the morality he is spouting on about?

It's not so much 'mismanagement' as it is he's on the economic right and gutting welfare is his MO, justified by debt and deficit scares. Which basically contradicts what he's saying here.

Tenebrous

So, Dave, you have £900M to aid thousands upon thousands of refugees and migrants, but your own government do everything they can to ensure their own people don't get aid when they need it? Gotcha.

Our own air force isn't launching airstrikes at us... The UK has problems right now, as does every place on the planet, but whatever problems we're having are dwarfed by the crisis in Syria.

This guy has such a beautiful heart. It only took a pair of dead kids on a Greek beach to make him realise he needs to help these people.
What a saint.

Saudi Arabia needs to accept some refugees

they can easily set up a well funded camp in their country

King_Moc

Banned
This guy has such a beautiful heart. It only took a pair of dead kids on a Greek beach to make him realise he needs to help these people.
What a saint.

It's embarrassing. Thousands of people have died in the Mediterranean over the last few months and neither he, nor his voters gave a single fuck. Now they have a photo of a 3 year old kid and suddenly they realise it's an actual thing. He'll take all the plaudits for this too. Pathetic.

I'm against more personally.

There's an abundance of countries in that area which should be accepting these refugees.

They shouldn't be travelling to the other side of Europe to get into an island to be 'safe'.

There's more to it than purely 'safety'.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's embarrassing. Thousands of people have died in the Mediterranean over the last few months and neither he, nor his voters gave a single fuck. Now they have a photo of a 3 year old kid and suddenly they realise it's an actual thing. He'll take all the plaudits for this too. Pathetic.

He's an evil genius.

Condom

Yup. Many people showed to be psychopaths until the reality of the situation is literally in their face (and others still continue to be heartless).

Kickz

Good, what Hungary and some of these back wood European countries have been doing to the refugees has been pathetic.

I am hoping Emperor OB will soon do something to and announce we'll take in a couple mill.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm against more personally.

There's an abundance of countries in that area which should be accepting these refugees.

They shouldn't be travelling to the other side of Europe to get into an island to be 'safe'.

There's more to it than purely 'safety'.
You can start complaining once your country starts doing its share.
The Guardian said:
Germany is expected to receive 800,000 asylum seekers this year – about four times the number it took last year and more than all other EU member states combined received in 2014.

That figure represents about 1% of Germany’s population.

This is how many asylum applications other EU member countries would need to receive to match the same proportion:
nZzLWQM.png

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/aug/20/asylum-seekers-eu-comparison-germany-datablog

U.K., France and Spain are pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom