• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cameron: "...we will provide resettlement for thousands more Syrian refugees. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
The polarity in the European response is fascinating. Some countries are all for it. Some countries are vehemently against it.

I wish wealthy gulf countries would take this stance too.

The inaction of Saudi Arabia and other Gulf States is sickening, especially as they continue to important thousands of people from South Asia and Oceania.

Baki

So, Dave, you have £900M to aid thousands upon thousands of refugees and migrants, but your own government do everything they can to ensure their own people don't get aid when they need it? Gotcha.

A drop in the water compared to the welfare and not the place find additional budget. There are much better places where they can find additional budget for welfare.

Aceofspades

Banned
The polarity in the European response is fascinating. Some countries are all for it. Some countries are vehemently against it.

I wish wealthy gulf countries would take this stance too.

There has been a lot of anti-Saudi propaganda
regarding intake of refugees from Syria. It should
be known:

Saudi Arabia has suspended all immigration laws
regarding Syrians, regardless of how they entered
the country (Umrah, Hajj, Visit or Business visa)
they shall stay.

ALL Syrian lqamahs (residency permits) & visas
are valid & renewed until the war in Syria ends.
This is not a new rule, it was enacted during
Prince Naif's lifetime, the late Crown Prince.

The Saudi Arabian Ministry of Immigration
enacted laws treating all Syrian children the same
as their Saudi counterparts.

All Syrian children receive free healthcare along
with their parents and enjoy a free education.

Syrian parents are allowed to work as they
please without the fear of Labor Law violation/
penalty.

Saudi Arabia has also established or funded
multiple refugee camps in Jordan, Turkey
elsewhere

Saudi Arabia has been doing this for five years now, I just dont understand why internet are eager to spread any negative information regarding Saudi Arabia without checking facts, not just internet the western media in general. Its just baffling to me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
When Dave Cameron is more reasonable than your PM you know that you're in trouble.

Too bad we have Tony "to stop the drownings you have to stop the boats" Abbott.

danm999

When Dave Cameron is more reasonable than your PM you know that you're in trouble.

Those people need to stay in Syria, with those more dangerous than the Nazi's.

Also we need to bomb Syria.

womfalcs3

Banned
be known:

they shall stay.

penalty.

elsewhere

Saudi Arabia has been doing this for five years now, I just dont understand why internet are eager to spread any negative information regarding Saudi Arabia without checking facts, not just internet the western media in general. Its just baffling to me.

This should be stickied everywhere to educate people. There's too much display of arrogance and ignorance on this issue.

ZiZ

be known:

they shall stay.

penalty.

elsewhere

True, but most Saudi's I know wish their government would do more, they want to do more.

A lot of Saudi's want to give aid, but many charities have been closed because the funds might fall into the hands of ISIS. If the government sanctioned a legitimate charity campaign they would collect millions in donations.

Pretty strange how much of an issue this has become in Europe (at least going by threads here), we're sitting pretty over on this side of the Atlantic.

be known:

they shall stay.

penalty.

elsewhere

I read about Saudi Arabia funding refugees somewhere after I tried to explain a situation in the ME in another post. I think this might be it http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e486976.html

How much more can some of these countries take in before it becomes detrimental? Has anyone done some analysis.

I ask because I don't see these numbers dropping off anytime soon. We're talking about millions of people at least. That's a lot of people in a really quick amount of time.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Pretty strange how much of an issue this has become in Europe (at least going by threads here), we're sitting pretty over on this side of the Atlantic.

Well...yeah it's generally a lot easier to get to somewhere connected by land than to traverse an entire ocean?

What is your point?

Aceofspades

Banned
I read about Saudi Arabia funding refugees somewhere after I tried to explain a situation in the ME in another post. I think this might be it http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e486976.html

KSA has been funding refugee camps in Turkey and Jordan since day 1, They have been sending aid planes to these areas in a weekly basis. Im just baffeled at the amount of ignorance and agenda pushing activities seen on the web.

To all my syrian gaffers, you can come and stay in Saudi Arabia anytime, you can work and you will receive free healthcare and education .

God bless and I hope things turn better in Syria soon.

Mariolee

be known:

they shall stay.

penalty.

elsewhere

This is a certainly an eye opener to me. Thank you for the info!

reckless

be known:

they shall stay.

penalty.

elsewhere

Well at least up to December 2014
Amnesty International said:
•The six Gulf countries - Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain - have offered zero resettlement places to Syrian refugees.
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...ia-refugee-crisis-international-resettlement/
And as far as I know not much has changed. So yeah The Gulf Countries have had a terrible record with this humanitarian crisis.

Aceofspades

Banned
This is a certainly an eye opener to me. Thank you for the info!

I know Saudi Arabia gets a lot of heat for different humanitarian issues in the country, we are well aware of that and just like any country in this planet, we try to solve our issues and insure better live for saudi citizens.

Media always try to highlight the negatives regarding this country and completely ignore any positives, just to give you an examples of some positives in Saudi Arabia:

Free college education for Saudis: Saudis have the right to have free education, in fact you are provided with monthly allowance to help you on your study (books ..etc) college is totally free on gov universities.

Government take a huge hit on corps and fruits/veg in order to keep their prices very low (all these are imports) and yet they are cheaper in SA than most first world nations.

Once you buy a land or home, its yours by law. Government are not allowed to collect any property taxes on any of those.

No taxes at all on consumables or electronics or anything for that matter. Government is very dependent on oil revenues for most part .(not a good thing really, but at least it makes life easier for people)

I can add more but I don't want to veer off topic.

Aceofspades

Banned
Well at least up to December 2014

And as far as I know not much has changed. So yeah The Gulf Countries have had a terrible record with this humanitarian crisis.

I live in SA, schools are filled with syrian people, I encounter lots of Syrian families wherever I go, they tend to blend in easily here due to the closiness of the two cultures.

Im 100% sure about what I posted earlier, any syrian or yemenies person can get indefinite stay in SA for as long as this crisis last. Its the law here now.

Yeah :( I hope at least this will add pressure for Australia to pick up its act. Even if it is just re-increasing our intake.

Symphonia

Banned
Our own air force isn't launching airstrikes at us... The UK has problems right now, as does every place on the planet, but whatever problems we're having are dwarfed by the crisis in Syria.
Our country literally cannot afford to take any more people in. Our government cannot provide the welfare to support their own people, so how does Cameron honestly expect to be able to provide welfare and support for thousands upon thousands of migrants and refugees? Aiding them to get over here is one thing, continuing to provide housing and welfare once they're here is another. It won't benefit anyone as we'll just a homeless epidemic.

reckless

I live in SA, schools are filled with syrian people, I encounter lots of Syrian families wherever I go, they tend to blend in easily here due to the closiness of the two cultures.

Im 100% sure about what I posted earlier, any syrian or yemenies person can get indefinite stay in SA for as long as this crisis last. Its the law here now.

So people that have the means and ability to get temporary work permits or visas are allowed to stay, but out of millions of registered refugees not one is taken in by any of the Gulf States.

I'm also going to guess that these permits and visas are not exactly easy to get.

Im just pleased that we finally seem to be turning a corner with this. I saw that The Sun started a charity appeal yesterday too.

Cameron can't win with the fickle British response to migrants.

He takes a stance of "no more migrants!" to appease the public for the election, and is then criticised for not taking enough.

I don't think of him as a monster for not taking enough, I blame the British public for their dumb attitude and not knowing what they want.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
U.K., France and Spain are pathetic.
you know spain has extremely serious financial and employment problems right?
Welcome refugees! Poverty and unemployment line is right here!

TCRS

Banned
Cameron can't win with the fickle British response to migrants.

He takes a stance of "no more migrants!" to appease the public for the election, and is then criticised for not taking enough.

I don't think of him as a monster for not taking enough, I blame the British public for their dumb attitude and not knowing what they want.

there is a difference between general migrants and syrian war refugees. I'm all for taking in and taking care of syrian war refugees. Migrants? not so much.

there is a difference between general migrants and syrian war refugees. I'm all for taking in and taking care of syrian war refugees. Migrants? not so much.

Aside from legal applications, how are you determining the difference between illegal immigrants and refugees when they're trying to hop on the back of trucks or sail their way across open water?

Fritz

Anyone else feel like there is a run on Syrian immigrants now? It's like politicians know they have to take in immigrants eventually so why not pick the good ones now.

norinrad

Has the US offered to take some refugees?

I mean, sure it's a distance to travel, but surely we can help in some ways.

They will, the pressure is increasing all over.

Very happy to hear the UK joining in to help these people. If only we could grow some balls and take on those wealthy gulf countries who fund terrorists organizations.

It's embarrassing. Thousands of people have died in the Mediterranean over the last few months and neither he, nor his voters gave a single fuck. Now they have a photo of a 3 year old kid and suddenly they realise it's an actual thing. He'll take all the plaudits for this too. Pathetic.

This is why we the media shouldn't avoid showing the true horrors of what's happening.

All we get are vague descriptions among a sea of exaggerated news which makes it hard for people to relate or empathise, show them the actual horrors of what's happening and their position changes pretty quickly in most cases.

It's not really fair to pin it entirely on the voter base.

This is amazing news, it's just a shame it took a picture of a dead toddler washed up on the beach splashed all over the front page of newspapers to do something about it :(

I still feel numb from seeing it on front page of reddit.

In a sense it's fair. The quote from the OP is very nice and completely true but rings hollow from a government that wants to gut the domestic welfare system.

Or from the mind of anyone who has to suffer through having such an utter cunt run your country. Considering it was 'his people' who voted him in to power in the first place, you'd think he'd put 'his people' first. I have no objection to helping out the refugees, but I do object to Cameron giving £900M to aid the cause when he spends so little and does nothing to help people in need in his own country, 'his' people.

During the last government, Cameron committed to the UK spending 0.7% of its GDP on foreign aid. A recommitment to this was in the Tory manifesto for the 2015 election, and they won. So it sounds like "his people" quite like it tbh.

Edit: I also think it's worth pointing out, amidst the accusations of heartlessness or selfishness, that the UK sends significantly more than any other European country to support the welfare and living conditions of those Syrian refugees in Lebanon, Jordan etc. There's an entirely reasonable argument that states that it's better to keep those fleeing Syria as close to the region as possible to make it as likely as possible that they'll be able to go back when possible, and the money the UK's spending goes towards furthering this goal. Personally I don't think this is the best way to do it, as the situation is dragging on so long as these refugees end up living in a sort of limbo land where they cannot get proper jobs or fend for themselves etc, but this is a "fact" that's only becoming obvious as time goes on. I don't think, then, that it's reasonable to say that Cameron is somehow heartless because he chose Option A over Option B, even if you think B is better. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and I don't think your choice indicates moral superiority.

norinrad

be known:

they shall stay.

penalty.

elsewhere

If they have been doing this for years, then they certainly need a PR department. I haven't heard them saying to Europe, We will take some of those refugees have they?

oti

Banned
Vita is dead, bro. King and kingdom are but a memory now :(

tumblr_inline_n4eulwuK521snvxla.gif

It's so dead

Anyway, back to topic.

If they have been doing this for years, then they certainly need a PR department. I haven't heard them saying to Europe, We will take some of those refugees have they?

Why would they take them? The ones in Europe left camps by their own means because they want to settle in Europe as economic migrants. They don't want to be treated like refugees, put in boxes and shipped from country to country. Also if they take them they are going to end up with a confusing mix of people from a variety of nations not just Syria.

You're being sarcastic right? Cameron voters for the most part will hate this as they don't want people taking er jerbs.

Yup. That's what I meant. They voted him so that we could "close our borders" and such other drivel. Like I said, they're going to love having their votes not validated. Seriously, screw all of the people that voted for Cameron.

You can start complaining once your country starts doing its share.

nZzLWQM.png

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/aug/20/asylum-seekers-eu-comparison-germany-datablog

U.K., France and Spain are pathetic.

Yeah so we're not allowed an opinion otherwise? Whatever.

I think £900 million in aid is us doing more than enough.

They refuse settlement in countries which offer it therefore they are financial refugees. They get offered help and refuse because they want to go somewhere they think they can get free shit, paid for by the taxpayers, which will never be repaid.

Then you have the issues with integration, work, accepting our values, crime etc.

Lagamorph

I'm glad the offer is only for people still in Syria and not those already within the EU. This way it is only for actual refugees, not economic migrants like the people already in Hungary, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Austria, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom