• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

I don’t why you’d start playing while it’s updating...

Just go make a sandwich or something

746479.jpg

Roni

Gold Member
After playing for a few hours, I gotta say this game is MUCH better than the reviews point out. The game has bugs and they're being addressed. But the underlying design is pretty solid.

If you can believe it, my one "BIG" complaint with this game is that the rolling animation shouldn't be rolling 100% of the time. It should mimic Alan Wake's scrambling a little more.

HotPocket69

Banned
Do you ever at any point find a map or climb an Ubi tower or something that will make enemy camps and NERO checkpoints show up on the map screen?

So I've played maybe four or five hours and so far I'm really enjoying it. There is shit that is irritating, like the cutscene to gameplay crap and just general jank but I'm definitely into it. Love the atmosphere.

Roni

Gold Member
Do you ever at any point find a map or climb an Ubi tower or something that will make enemy camps and NERO checkpoints show up on the map screen?
So far, haven't seen anything like that. But I've noticed NERO checkpoints have a thicker white cross marker.

DanielsM

Banned
Colin approves. Really good review!

There is a few things I disagree with him on, but he is correct on quite a few things. This is my take - this game has a ton going on. When someone says this is a bare bones game, I'm like bullshit. The amount of systems and subsystems is pretty crazy. Horizon is a good solid game, but this game is doing so much more as far as game play mechanics, its literally from a game mechanics POV doing most of what The Last of Us, Mad Max, and Horizon are doing all in one game, than add to it a Red Redemption Dead 2-lite type feel. I think this is a hard game to score, some of the cut-scenes andor technology with them including loading and sequencing could be much improved, there are some other bugs, etc. When I hear someone say the game play is "generic", I'm like, "wtf are you playing than?". The most addictive game I have played since Bloodborne.

There is some heavy DNA from Mad Max, which is not a bad thing. What Mad Max had going against it is - the lack of combat mechanics and stuff to really fill the world on a budget (i.e. nobody is going to spend RDR2 money). I feel like Bend kind of solved this by having the zombies and some of the wildlife, and adding all the combat types not just having melee. The car in Mad Max was pretty cool, as is the bike.... the horse in RDR is awesome as well, but man the bike is fun as shit.

Heck, I wouldn't mind an online mode just to race bikes with people, and you have to avoid the zombies. :messenger_beaming:

DanielsM

Banned
Is anyone else feathering the gas pedal to save fuel? Should I be bothering to do this at all? lol
I'm not sure that helps, I tried that as well, and coasting downhills... idk.

This site suggests coasting does help.

Conserving fuel - Survival

When Deacon is riding his bike down a hill, let off the gas and coast. This will conserve fuel, which players will quickly discover is a major consideration in Days Gone.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

DanielsM

Banned
The fuel issue is quite the catch-22, imo. The bike is so damn fun so you just want to keep riding around and having fun, but the limited fuel increases the tension up for the game because nobody wants to run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere and have to hike it home through all the Walkers. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I love the ending, "God damn engine!", as he runs it off a 200 foot cliff, like its the engine's fault. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Donut tips.

I Am Legend, suicide mission. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Isa

Gold Member
There is a few things I disagree with him on, but he is correct on quite a few things. This is my take - this game has a ton going on. When someone says this is a bare bones game, I'm like bullshit. The amount of systems and subsystems is pretty crazy. Horizon is a good solid game, but this game is doing so much more as far as game play mechanics, its literally from a game mechanics POV doing most of what The Last of Us, Mad Max, and Horizon are doing all in one game, than add to it a Red Redemption Dead 2-lite type feel. I think this is a hard game to score, some of the cut-scenes andor technology with them including loading and sequencing could be much improved, there are some other bugs, etc. When I hear someone say the game play is "generic", I'm like, "wtf are you playing than?". The most addictive game I have played since Bloodborne.

There is some heavy DNA from Mad Max, which is not a bad thing. What Mad Max had going against it is - the lack of combat mechanics and stuff to really fill the world on a budget (i.e. nobody is going to spend RDR2 money). I feel like Bend kind of solved this by having the zombies and some of the wildlife, and adding all the combat types not just having melee. The car in Mad Max was pretty cool, as is the bike.... the horse in RDR is awesome as well, but man the bike is fun as shit.

Heck, I wouldn't mind an online mode just to race bikes with people, and you have to avoid the zombies. :messenger_beaming:

I agree with just about everything you've said. Of the three game's modes of transport I'm enjoying the bike the most (still love me some Archangel though). Now with a better motor and other parts its been a blast drifting through turns and speeding over jumps and such especially in the Lake region.

In regards to the map markers popping up, at least when finding maps in bunkers, I think it might be related to how many we find per region. I'm probably wrong but I took out like a second or third near the Hot Springs and it popped up a couple of Nero research sites and an End of the World mission. The game is an absolute blast to play though, definitely worth the space bucks for me.

I feel like they tried to make the dialogue seem more organic by supplementing it with umms and uhhs but instead it just creates this silicon valley awkward guy effect that I can´t help constantly laughing at. When Deacon starts yelling at shit randomly he sounds so fucking petulant its like he stubbed his toe or some shit. :D

Why in god's name don't we have a dedicated throw button? Make it R1. Tap to quick throw, hold to aim.
Add roll to the circle button. Double tap to roll.

I hate using weapon wheels. It breaks the flow of action.

Eiknarf

Banned
Why in god's name don't we have a dedicated throw button? Make it R1. Tap to quick throw, hold to aim.
Add roll to the circle button. Double tap to roll.

I hate using weapon wheels. It breaks the flow of action.
Is that perhaps why it scored lower?
Isn’t there also something about accelerating with R1 but shooting with L1? (I don’t own it yet but I believe I read that)

Top Bottom