• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

DanielsM

Banned
Why in god's name don't we have a dedicated throw button? Make it R1. Tap to quick throw, hold to aim.
Add roll to the circle button. Double tap to roll.

I hate using weapon wheels. It breaks the flow of action.

I'm not sure I have an opinion either way on this, but I would assume the success of Horizon's combat wheel lead them to that thinking process.... its not in the 2016 game play. (idk) The slo-mo is also tied to the wheel which also allows for crafting in combat. The other issue is you can't carry much so crafting on the spot is necessary to a degree against the hordes. I somewhat agree with you, meaning maybe the "survival mode" they take this out i.e. make it more of a real survival type game - harder or more grounded.

Update: People reporting on reddit that 1.06 might cause some freezing issues, you maybe hold off on the update. Bend Studio has a person on reddit answering a few things and they say they are looking
into the freezing issue.

Update at 2pm EST.

BendStudio
Bend Studio1 point · 4 minutes ago
We're currently aware of the shutdown issues players are encountering. We are actively working on a fix. We're very sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

demigod

Why in god's name don't we have a dedicated throw button? Make it R1. Tap to quick throw, hold to aim.
Add roll to the circle button. Double tap to roll.

I hate using weapon wheels. It breaks the flow of action.

You can swap the R1 and O so O will be your roll. How you guys playing R1 with roll is beyond me!

HotPocket69

Banned
It really is a slow burn just like RDR2, especially storywise, though Im thinking I might actually enjoy this narrative more since its so fresh and I have absolutely no clue whats in store. In RDR2 you knew the torch would be passed to Marston and could safely assume that Arthurs fate wasn't gonna be good.

I just hit the part last night where you have the flashback of meeting Sarah for the first time. Was really well done and the foreshadowing was great regarding her background.. I cant wait to see where this goes.

Humdinger

Have there been other games recently where user reviews have exceeded critic reviews so significantly? I haven't paid attention to that sort of thing, but I'm impressed by how much of a difference there seems to be for Days Gone. I would often see situations where user reviews were much lower than metacritic averages, but I can't remember situations where the reverse has been true (i.e., where the user review average was so much higher than the critic reviews). Again, I don't pay close attention to that sort of thing, so I could've missed it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Been watching 2 playthroughs of this and although you can tell its not up to Sony's other 3rd person open world games, i dont think its bad at all, and doesnt deserve 4's or 5's. I think the reviews that gave it 7's and 8's are right on point.
The story is quite interesting.

DanielsM

Banned
Been watching 2 playthroughs of this and although you can tell its not up to Sony's other 3rd person open world games, i dont think its bad at all, and doesnt deserve 4's or 5's. I think the reviews that gave it 7's and 8's are right on point.
The story is quite interesting.

Its hard to gauge or rate. I have it up there with Bloodborne this cycle (I'm still early in the game), but it has its flaws on the technical side and some pacing issues with the story early on at least for me. As far as the game play... a classic., imo.... maybe my favorite zombie game ever. I think Red Dead Redemption 2 (I liked the 1st one more) is a very good game, just finished the main story there a few weeks back. For my personal tastes, this blows it out of the water, of course, that's a personal preference for particular game types. How does one rate a game better than RDR2 and Horizon despite some flaws? (I actually think a good portion of the people playing it actually feel that way, of course, its not going to be everyone's cup of tea and I don't expect everyone to feel the same way)

Its a good solid game at the least, maybe not everyone's cup of tea - but what is. I reminds of so many games smashed together but it really feels like the first Red Dead Redemption, meaning there is so many cool unexpected things that all this talk actually seems meaningless. The big guy doesn't seem to care and this thing appears to be tracking sales wise pretty freaking good, probably a little behind Horizon right now.... it appears. Its hard to say someone's review is wrong, but on the other hand - I wouldn't trust anyone that gave this a below average score for my own personal tastes in gaming. (I probably would be a bad reviewer for mobile games, because I think they all suck.... so I would never review mobile games)

I think this should all be water under the bridge, its going to sell real well. I'm not even sure what I would rate this game - its addicting for me personally.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
1556483497-days-gone-20190427230136.jpg

1556312783081.jpg

dgo4klc.jpg

31649_days-gone-20190q7juq.jpg

days_gone_39yfke3.jpg

dd5tcuq-51b5b161-b7e4nqkq8.jpg

D5OgpbvXsAMcyJm.jpg:large

92hj67.jpg

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its hard to gauge or rate. I have it up there with Bloodborne this cycle (I'm still early in the game), but it has its flaws on the technical side and some pacing issues with the story early on at least for me. As far as the game play... a classic., imo.... maybe my favorite zombie game ever. I think Red Dead Redemption 2 (I liked the 1st one more) is a very good game, just finished the main story there a few weeks back. For my personal tastes, this blows it out of the water, of course, that's a personal preference for particular game types. How does one rate a game better than RDR2 and Horizon despite some flaws? (I actually think a good portion of the people playing it actually feel that way, of course, its not going to be everyone's cup of tea and I don't expect everyone to feel the same way)

Its a good solid game at the least, maybe not everyone's cup of tea - but what is. I reminds of so many games smashed together but it really feels like the first Red Dead Redemption, meaning there is so many cool unexpected things that all this talk actually seems meaningless. The big guy doesn't seem to care and this thing appears to be tracking sales wise pretty freaking good, probably a little behind Horizon right now.... it appears. Its hard to say someone's review is wrong, but on the other hand - I wouldn't trust anyone that gave this a below average score for my own personal tastes in gaming. (I probably would be a bad reviewer for mobile games, because I think they all suck.... so I would never review mobile games)

I think this should all be water under the bridge, its going to sell real well. I'm not even sure what I would rate this game - its addicting for me personally.

Wow, so much for the people saying Zombie games are dead and no one wants them anymore. WWZ 1mil in a week, and Days Gone biggest physical release of the year.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I took these a little while ago on a base PS4. I just probably had the most terrifying gaming experience I've ever had just trying to get some meat for Boozer. Wow. I think anyone thinking this is a "generic" game needs to play on a nice 100 inch front projector, freaking crazy. (I had to take a break)

The mission where you go get meat for Boozer. I made the mistake and went down there at night time, holy shit the horde was down there chasing deer, I'm silent shooting deer... I'm sneaking around trying to gather meat, and another big horde comes in through the fog and rain, hauling ass... going I don't know where. Then I run out of gas about 200m from Boozer camp and have to walk the bike through about 50 walkers. Get to the top, and Boozer tells me he isn't hungry. LOL I wanted to punch him in the face.

Jmx148X.jpg

SQKuWkJ.jpg

Last edited:

EekTheKat

Days Gone so far gave me vibes of Uncharted 1 - a solid attempt but doesn't quite hit it out of the park. The tin foil hat wearing part of me actually can see bits and pieces of a Syphon Filter type of game buried underneath somewhere.

A sequel could be something special in the future though, assuming this doesn't go the way of The Order.

demigod

Days Gone so far gave me vibes of Uncharted 1 - a solid attempt but doesn't quite hit it out of the park. The tin foil hat wearing part of me actually can see bits and pieces of a Syphon Filter type of game buried underneath somewhere.

A sequel could be something special in the future though, assuming this doesn't go the way of The Order.

Gameplay wise I like this better than Uncharted. Zero customization in that game.

Just watched The Avengers today so I’ll have time tomorrow to jump back into the game.

This is a very good comparison. Given the story of what ND had to put up with during Uncharted's development it's almost a miracle they managed to create that IP and a solid game.

Like ND, Bend Studios is a second-tier studio (at best) and they went for a project that is very ambitious in scope though relatively safe in genre and mechanics.

I am 6 hours in and enjoyint it so far. I would give it somewhere between 78 and 82, on the same level as the Infamous saga.

For whoever has not started the game yet: choose the hard mode. The game is clearly designed around that one.

DanielsM

Banned
Gameplay wise I like this better than Uncharted. Zero customization in that game.

I played both Golden Abyss and 4, both are solid games and are awesome in many ways, but I feel like those games are boring for my tastes. The shooting mechanics are similar feel to me as Uncharted, and some of the player movements kind of feels like Uncharted/slower Horizon, melee is more of TLOU-lite feel, crafting TLOU, traps Horizon (but more grounded). Agree on your comment, the variety of ways you can approach combat in this game is on a way different level than Uncharted plus the customization. Everything from your skills to weapons, to traps... and to using zombies as a weapon. Now, if someone cares about the combat only to the point to furthering the story, it maybe possible they don't feel the way we do though.

Last edited:
In the spanish version we have the actor who dubs Christian Bale in Batman and sounds awesome. It's makes the character a bit softer than in the original version but the acting is wonderful. This is something I truly appreciate in Sony's games, the top-notch localizations.

DanielsM

Banned
I'm not sure how to rate this game, but I am going to give it a shot.

- Graphics: 10
- Performance: 8 (see the digital foundry review... I do get a shuttering ever once in a while on the bike at night and when its raining)
- Bugs: 6 (I haven't encountered many, but others have... this is a huge game, so not expecting bugs is unrealistic... but I wish they did a better job here)
- Technology: 8.5 (loading screens are an issue early in the game for me but later its not a big issue for me, its like deleted or changed the story, the technology)
- Story: NA (too early for me to rate, but the beginning with the loading screens and strange flashbacks didn't help... pacing is an issue)
- Shooting Combat: 9 (Uncharted like, I'm not a huge fan of 3rd person shooting but this is solid to me, especially when you start adding skills)
- Melee Combat: 9 (its not as prepackaged as TLOU, but to me its more grounded)
- Trap Combat: NA (reluctant to give a score here because I haven't unlocked any, just moving the bear traps around which is fun to use)
- Crafting: 9
- Loot/Storage: 9 (I think people could argue whether there is enough storage either way... they need a survival mode, imo)
- Human AI: 8.5 (for an open world I thought they are damn good, not like Horizon at all)
- Zombie AI: 9.5 (the horde is awesome, individual zombies are actually fun to deal with as well)
- Animal AI: 8.5 (pretty good to me)
- Complete AI Eco-system (EvE): 10 (I think when you add up all the AI sub-systems is where the game really shines... you'll see shit that isn't in any other game)
- Music: 10 (music is great and there are music cues and mood music like L4D)
- Sound: 5 (I've had some issues with zombies sounding like they are real close to me when they are not, also Deacon's voice is not mixed well at all when he is talking to himself)
- Voice Acting: 7 (its was very rough for me in the very early parts of the game, but to me gets noticeable better as you play)
- Menu: 9.5 (beautiful menu system and the swipe is great, the one thing I would mark it down for is the overly complex Mission list)
- World Assets: 10 (beautiful game)
- Level Design: 9.5 (great layout to the world, and some great level designs as far as camps, and the ability to use zombies... you might even find some escape routes you might overlook)
- Creature Design: 8 (kind of torn here, the zombies during the day... look kind meh to me, but the design really looks great at night time with the horde... scary as fuck)
- Map Traveling: 10 (bike is great, bike > Mad Max car > RDR horse , very fun)
- Customization: 10 (from your bike, to weapons, to skills, etc.... top notch)
- Intangibles: 10+ (all the different ways you can play, the tension, the game never plays out the same way twice in any kind of way... scary as hell at night time in the woods)

Overall score: 8.5 (Clean up the bugs, tech issues, pacing... you have a 9+ game easy)

I would probably recommend this to people over Horizon and RDR2 though, so, very hard game to rate - its a great game in many ways. My #2 favorite this cycle behind Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm having a great time. I am playing it on Normal. I restarted the intro twice due to playing other games. I didn't exactly feel guilty for skipping the cutscenes. I've played enough to get the vibe of what's going and still enjoy what I'm doing. I really like it once it gets going. I like it when I actually get to control the character and actually utilize items/weapons/etc. It makes me feel like I did with The Last of Us, but there's more space to move around in. I really like the weather effects. Sneaking up behind someone and the wind is blowing through the trees. I am really enjoying it. The Last of Us definitely has drama built into its characters, but the amount of freedom your character has is pretty limited to the well thought out level design. I don't see why there was so much fuss about it honestly. I'm looking forward to playing it some more.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Playing on hard. About gas I expected the gas run out quick because you're on early game. My status now my fuel reserve is pretty good and some story mission fuel is infinity.
Early tip: Search for NERO place. ALWAYS have gas there and medic pack respaws too. Make your shitwork (kill freakers, take camps, get resources...) on daylight. If get too dark, back to Nero, put some gas, sleep and keep going.
If you feeling confidence, take nest aroung gas station. Gas station have unlimited gas and they're most of the time in the way of your mission road.

HotPocket69

Banned
I was able to cop that 10 minutes of drifting trophy by just doing drifty donuts during a story mission. Infinite fuel makes it super easy.

DanielsM

Banned
Playing on hard. About gas I expected the gas run out quick because you're on early game. My status now my fuel reserve is pretty good and some story mission fuel is infinity.
Early tip: Search for NERO place. ALWAYS have gas there and medic pack respaws too. Make your shitwork (kill freakers, take camps, get resources...) on daylight. If get too dark, back to Nero, put some gas, sleep and keep going.
If you feeling confidence, take nest aroung gas station. Gas station have unlimited gas and they're most of the time in the way of your mission road.

Tow Trucks I think always have a gas can on them as well.

What I didn't like, is I found a can and wanted to keep it on a main road, so I would move the can (as a marker and to refuel on way back), but whenever I leave and come back its gone. Not sure what the distance is. :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Tow Trucks I think always have a gas can on them as well.

What I didn't like, is I found a can and wanted to keep it on a main road, so I would move the can (as a marker and to refuel on way back), but whenever I leave and come back its gone. Not sure what the distance is. :messenger_crying:
Even if you could is not safe. The AI will shot on the gas can if you're holding.

Last edited:
Colin with the Platinum already 😮

Haven't looked at the trophie list but it should be easy to get. My friend, one of the reviewers he got the game early and got a Platinum in 10 days. So I assume its pretty straight forward....no need to finish the game on Hard or stealth kill only etc. Just regular collecting.

Top Bottom