• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone director : "Days gone 2 could have released a month ago"

Calverz

Damn, the fuck are they doing?
This is the Sony model in which they only have themselves to blame. Risk $250m to make profit of around $80m. Jimbo tried to steer course towards GAAS (low investment)= potential higher gains over longer period of time. But lost his job over it.

Deerock71

nuts GIF

It was a fine game.
I really didn't get the negativity towards this game. I thought it was a standout exclusive game for the platform.
I don’t get how fans of the game don’t understand that. It was incredibly unremarkable. Definitely not a game that needs a sequel.

then again, Idk why Sony would release Concord. When Marathon is around the corner. So maybe why not release a genetic zombie game.

schaft0620

They posted that tweet a while back showing the four Christmas presents. Three of them represented previous remakes they had worked on. The thinking was the fourth one could be Bloodborne. If that's the case, and they haven't announced what they're working on, I wouldn't expect them to reveal it via that company presentation.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony canceled as many as 15 games during the bloodletting that just happened.

We know for sure that at IG, Spider-Man Online, the new IP and maybe one other game down their roadmap (Ratchet or X-Men) had staff move up to work on the games that are further along.

If they can cancel/delay/reallocate staff from 3 games at Insomniac they can cancel 3 games at BluePoint or at least take them off their original game and move them to be a sole remaster studio.

They were working on an original game prior to the layoffs. BluePoint has fewer than 200 staff (AA studio).

I speculate that BluePont was doing another remaster, then got caught in the GaaS loop, then had that new GaaS game canceled when TLOU:O, TM, S-M:O were canceled.

Last edited:

Perrott

You don't think they had people working on the Last of Us Online? That game was slated to be shown in the fall of 2023 by their own admission.
The Last Of Us Online was in pre-production since the release of Part II in 2020 up until the launch of the Part I remake in 2022. Then half a year later, full-production was put on a hold after Sony reviewed their live-service portfolio, and only a skeleton crew of a few dozen people remained attached to the project, with most staffers relocated to the Part II remaster and other projects. After another half year, said skeleton crew was dissolved following the project's cancelation.

Yes, it was going to be shown sometime in 2023 according to Neil's statements at Summer Game Fest 2022, but that didn't mean that the game was near-completion by any means. We don't know what the release target was, and that's without accounting for delays (Helldivers II ended up coming out two years later than slated in the Nvidia leak and an entire year later than what Sony's live-service roadmap predicted in May 2022).

Last edited:

schaft0620

The Last Of Us Online was in pre-production since the release of Part II in 2020 up until the launch of the Part I remake in 2022. Then half a year later, full-production was put on a hold after Sony reviewed their live-service portfolio, and only a skeleton crew of a few dozen people remained attached to the project, with most staffers relocated to the Part II remaster and other projects. After another half year, said skeleton crew was dissolved following the project's cancelation.

Yes, it was going to be shown sometime in 2023 according to Neil's statements at Summer Game Fest 2022, but that didn't mean that the game was near-completion by any means. We don't know what the release target was, and that's without accounting for delays (Helldivers II ended up coming out two years later than slated in the Nvidia leak and an entire year later than what Sony's live-service roadmap predicted in May 2022).

Yep exactly, had they just gone and made a new game or TLOU3 it could have been at this State of Play.

Not only were the live service games canceled, there was an opportunity cost of the AAA single player game that didn't get made.

8% of the devs were laid off, more were moved to other games to ramp up staff. I bet Sony is working on HALF as many games as they were in 2021/2022.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
I need to know what the plot of the second one was, the secret finale was the best bit of the zombie plot in the entire game and they cockblocked us, i legit loved that final scene.
Nothing they could have written will match the cool shit each players get to imagine about it now. Maybe it's a cope, but I kinda prefer it this way. Especially knowing what they would have done in terms of tone and casting.

Last edited:
Yep exactly, had they just gone and made a new game or TLOU3 it could have been at this State of Play.

Not only were the live service games canceled, there was an opportunity cost of the AAA single player game that didn't get made.

8% of the devs were laid off, more were moved to other games to ramp up staff. I bet Sony is working on HALF as many games as they were in 2021/2022.
8% at Naughty Dog were laid off because they hired a bunch of new people for Factions. And Naughty Dog's new game was never going to be shown at this State of Play, as it only entailed games coming out in 2024. I still think there is a good chance Naughty Dog shows up at the showcase later this year

And Sony working on half as many games is just factually wrong if you looked at their recent assessment of all their studios, earlier this week

JaksGhost

What has he been doing since besides bitching about a project that his own studio refused to go forward with? I’m sick of this revisionist shit. Him and Jaffe need to be roommates.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I really liked it. Wasn't perfect and had a bumpy landing. But it plays brilliantly now on PS5. I think a sequel could have been great and with some improvements in a couple of key areas could have taken it from very good to excellent.

rm082e

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony canceled as many as 15 games during the bloodletting that just happened.

We know for sure that at IG, Spider-Man Online, the new IP and maybe one other game down their roadmap (Ratchet or X-Men) had staff move up to work on the games that are further along.

If they can cancel/delay/reallocate staff from 3 games at Insomniac they can cancel 3 games at BluePoint or at least take them off their original game and move them to be a sole remaster studio.

They were working on an original game prior to the layoffs. BluePoint has fewer than 200 staff (AA studio).

I speculate that BluePont was doing another remaster, then got caught in the GaaS loop, then had that new GaaS game canceled when TLOU:O, TM, S-M:O were canceled.

So Bloodborne is still coming then.

:goog_horns:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Damning news once again on the mismanagement of Sony first-party studio's.
Nothing mismanaged.

Jeff Ross, the studio head who wanted to make a sequel, told fans if they want a sequel they should have bought Days Gone at full price.

This is a blatant admission that Days Gone didn't generate enough profit to warrant a sequel.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I think a lot more resources were put into Factions 2 than they let on, and it significantly set back the studio to the point where we may not see a real game from them this gen. Almost like the fact that Retro spent years working on something between DKCTF and MP4, something we will apparently never see.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think a lot more resources were put into Factions 2 than they let on, and it significantly set back the studio to the point where we may not see a real game from them this gen. Almost like the fact that Retro spent years working on something between DKCTF and MP4, something we will apparently never see.
It never entered full production. The other two single player focused teams were likely unaffected. Games just take 7 years to make now so it's easy to blame year 4 on a failed GAAS project.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It never entered full production. The other two single player focused teams were likely unaffected. Games just take 7 years to make now so it's easy to blame year 4 on a failed GAAS project.
I don't think it is this simple, and not all teams are the same. I do think development of those games was affected, whatever they are. Again, I think they are lying about how much they sunk into the game. Games also don't take seven years to make. Naughty Dog just fucked up majorly.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't think it is this simple, and not all teams are the same. I do think development of those games was affected, whatever they are. Again, I think they are lying about how much they sunk into the game. Games also don't take seven years to make. Naughty Dog just fucked up majorly.
But what are you basing that on? Why would a team of multiplayer designers be vital to the development of a single player game?

Mobilemofo

I'm always astonished on how many people liked days gone. It's probably the only AAA first party game from Sony that I didn't like in YEARS. Boring characters, boring gameplay and had dog shit performance when it first launched. Im probably not gonna be too interested in whatever Bends next project is, as I don't trust them after Days gone. But if it was Days gone 2, that would have been an automatic out from me.
That's the thing about opinions...they are like arseholes..everyone's got one. I loved it personally.

Gamerguy84

Top 5 for me last gen. What a shame.

Sony hit on every cylinder last gen. Everything they did was gold. No one can keep that pace up.

They haven't been horrible but not what they were.

It was a good, fun game with a nice, repetitive loop. It would’ve been cool to see Bend iterate on that with next gen tech.

Here’s hoping some of the horde mechanics and vehicle control make their way into whatever title they release next.

Maybe Jeff Ross just needs to put together a studio together and go free agent rather than pull a David Jaffe and complain about what can’t be changed.

Top Bottom