• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

Colocho said:
You'd think in this day and age, games would look better than a PS1 era game.
The original came out in 1993. This is a updated remake, intended to keep all the look and feel of the game back then, the way how everyone experienced it.

my-mind-is-full-of-fuck_176822.jpg

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Colocho said:

yeah, and did you see that Street Fighter 3? Fucking sprites... in this day and age...

Baron

Colocho said:

Okay, I'm not done yet.

A redundant idiom that has been around for over a hundred years? In this, the 21st century? Sheesh.

skyfinch

Colocho said:

How many racing games on PS1 run at 60fps with 40 cars on screen? Second, if I wanted a visual upgrade, I'd get the Dreamcast version which I did back in the day. And to be honest, I prefer this version as it's arcade perfect.....exactly what the fans have been asking for.

Trojan X

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
So, I've got some time to kill. If anyone here is new to this game or has never really practiced it seriously before, and if you want some quick tips to level-up, here's some information culled from my time on the old Model 2 emulator forums:

Basics:

Check the How To Play menu in-game. It has some good tips and basic techniques to get you started.

This is probably obvious, but don't bother with the automatic transmission. MT gives you more speed and control, so you might as well pretend that AT doesn't exist.

Drifting 101:

In the vast majority of cases, and always on the Beginner and Advanced tracks, you will never have to use the brake and never have to let up on the gas at all provided that you handle all of the turns correctly. The only time you should do otherwise is when it's necessary to correct minor errors.

Most corners should be approached out-in-out to maintain max speed: outside lane when approaching, inside lane at the apex, outside lane at the end. Does not apply when you need to line up differently for a subsequent turn in order to maintain an optimal racing line.

Generally, you want to downshift and drift to the appropriate angle right before the car enters the turn itself, then upshift and gradually straighten out the angle as you complete the turn.

Though every corner has its own optimal racing line and speed to learn, a general 4-1-(3)-4 shift pattern will get you through most of the game until you learn the ins and outs of every track. As you approach a corner, slam the wheel all the way to the max angle and downshift to 1st gear simultaneously. If it's a relatively easy/short corner, you can quickly upshift back to 4th gear and then straighten out. If it's a more difficult corner that doesn't allow you to maintain a very high speed, upshift to 3rd gear to prevent losing control of the car, and then upshift to 4th afterward.

Extra Drift: Shifting and turning at the same exact time allows you to drift at greater angles. You can utilize this multiple times in the same turn to shave off a little bit of time. For example, the basic method for the Beginner track's 3rd corner is a 4-2---4 shift pattern, but the optimal method is a 4-2---4-3-4 shift pattern at roughly 307km/190mi: after shifting to 2nd gear, move the wheel slightly back towards neutral, then execute a very quick 4-3-4 shift and turn the wheel back to the left at the same time you downshift to 3rd. This gives you a 2nd drift. Helpful if you're looking to climb up the leaderboard ranks, but it requires a fair bit of practice to utilize it well. I'm still not in the habit of doing this yet.

Beginner Course:

You should generally hug the inside of the track except when approaching the 3rd turn.

Sonic Wall turn: Downshift and turn as you pass the black and white sign with the face on the right side of the track. Most major corners in this game have landmarks like this that you can use as reference points, so get in the habit of doing that to maintain consistency until it's all muscle memory. As stated before, the basic approach for this corner is a 4-2--4 shift pattern. With proper technique, you should be able to maintain a speed of 307km/190mi.

Pit shortcut: It is possible to use pit road as a shortcut if you hug the right side of the road as you enter. In order to prevent the pit stop from triggering, your right tires must be on the metal at the edge of the road. They don't have to overlap the metal very much at all; they just need to be touching it. Challenge 8 for this course is actually a training exercise for this technique, as the cones are laid out in a line along the edge of pit road. It's not a perfect training setup, as they force you to use the automatic transmission and thus your speed/angle coming out of the 3rd turn will not reflect what it should be in an actual race, but it's still useful for practice. A visual aid you can use to help you line up your entry in an actual race is the skid mark leading into pit road.

You cannot pit stop on the final lap to begin wtih, so you don't have to worry about the entry angle into pit road in that case.

Exiting pit road from the shortcut: If you entered pit road at optimal speed, you should begin the exit turn roughly half a second after the TIME EXTENSION visual disappears. The shift pattern is 4-2---4. You should be able to maintain a speed in excess of 300km/186mi as you exit pit road without clipping the grass. You must maintain a drift until you're safely on the main, banked racetrack, or else you'll hit the wall.

Ideal 1st lap time: 17"00
Ideal 2nd+ lap time: 16"50

Video: Marubaku Superplay

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to post something for Advanced and Expert later, time permitting. In the meantime, you can always grab the replays for the leaderboards for some ideas. There doesn't seem to be any actual pros tearing up the charts yet, as I'm in 1st place on Expert at the time of this post. :p

Good job, SixFortyFive.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
twinturbo2 said:
How do you do a rocket start? Doing that challenge on Dinosaur Canyon where I have to do that is flummoxing me.

i had a hellava time getting it to work with little help offered here.

the trick is to hold down the brake and keep the rpms in the yellow. when the light switches to green take your foot off the break BUT keep the rpms held at the same level and only floor it when the boost engages.

i kept trying to floor it the same time the green light came and my foot was taken off the break and it would never work.

bwahhhhh

Oh man, nostalgia time overload.

as long as you know that the game is using the original assets, just with less popup and better texture filtering, the game looks great. So much better than I figured it would.

For those looking for a platform comparison, I bought the PSN version a few days ago, but just tried the XBL demo/trial. I got the PSN version because I don't have Gold. I played the PSN version first, and already thought the game was incredibly colorful, but the 360 version seems a tad moreso. Systems set on Limited/Standard. I can't tell you which is more accurate, but the 360 version pops a bit more. I think I prefer it, could just be a settings thing, though.

Less subjective is that the 360 version seems to have an additional coat of AA on it, most obvious in attract mode fences and in the pit stops, when the wall/median edges are nearly horizontal. But the game already is running at a much higher resolution than Afterburner Climax, so it's not nearly as big a difference between the two versions as it was in AC.

Both versions have the announcer feeling pretty quiet compared to the sound effects, I can barely hear him telling me I'm burnin up the tires.

Really happy with this HD port overall, now do Sega Rally!!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
KennyLinder said:
I use 4 - 1 - 3 - 4 for tight corners, always have. Love it.
I use it for every corner on advanced except the first which is just a straight 4 - 1 - 4.

I never really played beginner or expert for some reason.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'd suggest wheel users remove the deadzone and bump up the feedback to the MAX for maximum arcade enjoyment :)

op_ivy said:
i'd suggest wheel users remove the deadzone and bump up the feedback to the MAX for maximum arcade enjoyment :)

Yeah I'm surprised just how much of a shove the force feedback can give on 360, seems so muted and dull in other Xbox games.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I've gotten Advanced down to an art. Feels good. A few turns on Expert are still a bit shaky but I'm almost there.

And yeah, the pit shortcut is a bitch.

Baron said:
Okay, I'm not done yet.

A redundant idiom that has been around for over a hundred years? In this, the 21st century? Sheesh.
Man I couldn't begin to tell you how much it annoys me when people pull the "this day and age" card. It's so obnoxiously ostentatious.

evlcookie said:
I use it for every corner on advanced except the first which is just a straight 4 - 1 - 4.

I never really played beginner or expert for some reason.

Do you mean the last corner? Or the first main one out of the tunnel before the Time Extension?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
3 courses got a bit old since 1993... Imagine having a Daytona USA car & setting in TrackMania 2...

Or at least a remake with original handling, 2001 graphics (not the cars) all courses and DLC support.

Alextended said:
3 courses got a bit old since 1993... Imagine having a Daytona USA car & setting in TrackMania 2...
I wonder if they've done it in a way for them to add the other tracks in the DC version.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
bwahhhhh said:
Oh man, nostalgia time overload.

as long as you know that the game is using the original assets, just with less popup and better texture filtering, the game looks great. So much better than I figured it would.

For those looking for a platform comparison, I bought the PSN version a few days ago, but just tried the XBL demo/trial. I got the PSN version because I don't have Gold. I played the PSN version first, and already thought the game was incredibly colorful, but the 360 version seems a tad moreso. Systems set on Limited/Standard. I can't tell you which is more accurate, but the 360 version pops a bit more. I think I prefer it, could just be a settings thing, though.

Less subjective is that the 360 version seems to have an additional coat of AA on it, most obvious in attract mode fences and in the pit stops, when the wall/median edges are nearly horizontal. But the game already is running at a much higher resolution than Afterburner Climax, so it's not nearly as big a difference between the two versions as it was in AC.

Both versions have the announcer feeling pretty quiet compared to the sound effects, I can barely hear him telling me I'm burnin up the tires.

Really happy with this HD port overall, now do Sega Rally!!

Thanks for that. Guess I'll nab it on the 360... along with RE CVX, Guardian Heroes, and Radiant Silvergun... all of which I haven't bought yet, because I'm an idiot.

This weekend will be glorious!

Trojan X

Banned
Remember that if we end up getting SEGA RALLY arcade then it will only be 4 player online. It will stay this way unless SEGA work to get it up to 8 or, more preferably, 16 players. Also remember that Network play cost money so if people do not download the game then SEGA won't generate any money back from their network expenses.

Ok people. I'm announcing that my tomorrow Friday night (London, GMT) will be my DAYTONA USA maniac racing night. Not to sound corny but, who's with me?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Trojan X said:
Ok people. I'm announcing that my tomorrow Friday night (London, GMT) will be my DAYTONA USA maniac racing night. Not to sound corny but, who's with me?
I'll likely be around.

Grandprix. Type B. Any course. I want some takers.

Mike M

Nick N
I wish the trial lasted longer than 30 seconds, it's kinda hard to gauge if I want the game in such a short amount of time : /

I'm not much of a racing fan (I only have Mario Kart titles and Excitebots), but I remember playing the shit out of Daytona on the Saturn at my friend's house when I was in high school...

Trojan X

Banned
Mike M said:
I wish the trial lasted longer than 30 seconds, it's kinda hard to gauge if I want the game in such a short amount of time : /

I'm not much of a racing fan (I only have Mario Kart titles and Excitebots), but I remember playing the shit out of Daytona on the Saturn at my friend's house when I was in high school...

You remember playing the shit out of Daytona on the Saturn at your friends house and you still deciding whether to get this game or not... Let me help you with the following questions:

1) Did you go crazy when you play Daytona USA in the arcades? Yes or No?

2) Do you feel excited when you watch these video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9eBW-9ma6s AND http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxmQXRLTltw Yes or No?

3) Did you use to play Versus a lot on Super Mario Kart? Yes or No?

4) Did you use to remember any of the Daytona music when you use to play it before? Music like "DAYTONAAA!!! LET'S GO AWAY!!" or "BLUEEEE BLU-SKIESSSSS! BLUEEEE BLU-SKIESS I SEEE!!!" Yes or No?

5) Did you use to hail Daytona USA as one of the greatest multiplayer arcade racing game you've ever played with your friends or even against people you didn't know? Yes or No?

6) When you played Daytona USA on the Sega Saturn, did you ever wished the graphics were the same as the Arcade? Yes or No?

7) When you played other racing games, did you felt that while the game you were playing was good it wasn't QUITE the level or Daytona USA? Yes or No?

8) When you played Daytona USA on the Sega SAturn, did you try to memories every turning in the course and kept striving for first place?

9) Are you OR did you use to be a SEGA fan? Yes or No?

10) WHen you played Daytona USA in the arcade, did you felt good each and every time you played the game? Yes or No?

Answer the above then I'll tell you whether to buy the game or not based on your answers.

Mike M

Nick N
Trojan X said:
You remember playing the shit out of Daytona on the Saturn at your friends house and you still deciding whether to get this game or not... Let me help you with the following questions:

2) Do you feel excited when you watch these video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9eBW-9ma6s AND http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxmQXRLTltw Yes or No?

4) Did you use to remember any of the Daytona music when you use to play it before? Music like "DAYTONAAA!!! LET'S GO AWAY!!" or "BLUEEEE BLU-SKIESSSSS! BLUEEEE BLU-SKIESS I SEEE!!!" Yes or No?

5) Did you use to hail Daytona USA as one of the greatest multiplayer arcade racing game you've ever played with your friends or even against people you didn't know? Yes or No?

6) When you played Daytona USA on the Sega Saturn, did you ever wished the graphics were the same as the Arcade? Yes or No?

7) When you played other racing games, did you felt that while the game you were playing was good it wasn't QUITE the level or Daytona USA? Yes or No?

8) When you played Daytona USA on the Sega SAturn, did you try to memories every turning in the course and kept striving for first place?

10) WHen you played Daytona USA in the arcade, did you felt good each and every time you played the game? Yes or No?

Answer the above then I'll tell you whether to buy the game or not based on your answers.
1). Didn't play much Daytona back in the day : /. NEVER performed well on it, but was completely ignorant on how to perform drifting until this thread.

2). Little bit.

3). Mostly play local versus racing on MK, yeah. Never do battle or online though.

4). Kind of odd, I was familiar with the lyrics, but had no memory of the music. Saturn version had a different soundtrack, right?

5). No, but as previously stated I didn't play it much in the arcade.

6). Yes, but who wouldn't?

7). No, but I never held Daytona up as a gold standard, straight laced racing games weren't my favorite genre. I WILL say that it was always my most familiar racing game that wasn't futuristic or cart/battle racing.

8). Actually, I only remember us playing the beginner track ad nauseum. We always won just by going flat out on the accelerator and never hitting the brake : /

9). Was a HUGE Sega fan during the Saturn and Dreamcast days.

10). I crashed a lot and lost every time. Feels bad, man : ( (I do seem to do much better with a controller in the trial)

low-G

Imma fill this out for fun.

Trojan X said:

1. YES
2. Not really
3. Yes
4. YES, still listen to it all the time
5. not really
6. YES
7. YES
8. Kinda, I don't memorize
9. YES
10. Yes

So there you go, but I'm still not buying it because I'm butthurt that Sega took this long to port the game. Should have been out in 2006 when I would have cared. Bring out arcade perfect Daytona USA2 and SuperGT for $15 and I'll bite.

bumpkin

Trojan X said:
Remember that if we end up getting SEGA RALLY arcade then it will only be 4 player online. It will stay this way unless SEGA work to get it up to 8 or, more preferably, 16 players. Also remember that Network play cost money so if people do not download the game then SEGA won't generate any money back from their network expenses.

What system are you going to be playing on? I'm DaveB1980 on both. :)

Trojan X

Banned
Mike M said:
1). Didn't play much Daytona back in the day : /. NEVER performed well on it, but was completely ignorant on how to perform drifting until this thread.

2). Little bit.

3). Mostly play local versus racing on MK, yeah. Never do battle or online though.

4). Kind of odd, I was familiar with the lyrics, but had no memory of the music. Saturn version had a different soundtrack, right?

5). No, but as previously stated I didn't play it much in the arcade.

6). Yes, but who wouldn't?

7). No, but I never held Daytona up as a gold standard, straight laced racing games weren't my favorite genre. I WILL say that it was always my most familiar racing game that wasn't futuristic or cart/battle racing.

8). Actually, I only remember us playing the beginner track ad nauseum. We always won just by going flat out on the accelerator and never hitting the brake : /

9). Was a HUGE Sega fan during the Saturn and Dreamcast days.

10). I crashed a lot and lost every time. Feels bad, man : ( (I do seem to do much better with a controller in the trial)

I would like to say to you to purchase the game because once you figured out the drifting mechanics you'll have heaps of fun together with the rest of us. However, based on your answers, it's like you've become a gamer that is different from your past so you may not value Daytona high as you use to. So, I'd say this... If you are willing to learn how to drift in the game and you appreciate going wild with people in which you want to join the fun playing against them, then by all means purchase the game. However, if you find that your attention span is not quite what it use to be (i.e much shorter), then I think you should give Daytona a miss for you won't play it much and long as you hope.

bumpkin said:
What system are you going to be playing on? I'm DaveB1980 on both. :)

Oh yes. Xbox 360. Kenshirou X.

low-G said:
Imma fill this out for fun.

1. YES
2. Not really
3. Yes
4. YES, still listen to it all the time
5. not really
6. YES
7. YES
8. Kinda, I don't memorize
9. YES
10. Yes

So there you go, but I'm still not buying it because I'm butthurt that Sega took this long to port the game. Should have been out in 2006 when I would have cared. Bring out arcade perfect Daytona USA2 and SuperGT for $15 and I'll bite.

No complaints there. Frankly I don't blame you.

In the end of the day, as I've mentioned in my earlier post, SEGA only ported this game out of convenience. It was never ported in our consideration at all otherwise we would have received the Daytona USA that we all wanted over 6 years ago. SEGA no longer really care about their fans, they care about numbers and nothing more (of course it's about business, but all top business people know that you do not bite the hand that feeds you, i.e. your loyal fans). Heck, SEGA doesn't even have enough faith with their own brands otherwise we would have seen a number of sequels and evolved versions of their incredible IPs rather than zero.

It's funny. I can read out a whole list of SEGA games that would bring a tear to your eye due to pure nostalgia, but in the end of the day.... SEGA is sitting on a treasure chest of IPs that they would either leave to die, or kill due to their own lack of understanding of what really makes it tick. Examples - Virtua Cop... died; Alex the Kid... a lost memory; Alien Storm... dead; Daytona 2... Apparently the brand not big enough and they don't want to spend money to evolve it; Last Bronx... a dead title that was better than Soul Blade; Golden Axe... Say no more; Super Hang-on... dead; Street of Rage... Died; Quakeshot... Dead; E-Swat... Dead; Jurassic Park... Apparently they don't think the franchise isn big and warranted enough for them to spend money to evolve it; Scud Race... just an nostalgic memory that no one knows about; Power Drift... Dead; Virtua Racing... dead; Wonder Boy... dead; JET SET RADIO... near death; Space Channel 5... Barely alive on Xbox LIVE so its nice to see it there but no one knows it exists; Top Skater... dead; SHENMUE... I say no more. I can bet you your bank account that if half of these titles belong to Capcom, you'll see it in its modern form driving revenues.

To put it plain a simple - SEGA is NOT the same SEGA as before. They don't really listen to their fans and the fans that have a voice like myself, they would acknowledge but promptly dis-acknowledge them 5 seconds later (Even EA listen to their fans and I know that as a fact). In fact, they would turn around and say "no. We did listen to you and where it got us? No where!". We would then say in reply, "what did you give us?" and they'll say, "Well.. Golden Axe Beast Rider. We even gave you Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 (those that don't know why Sonic 2006 is bad should look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM)! Even better, we are going to give you Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown... Yes, it may be 6 years old and its coming in Summer 2012 when the new Xbox machine would probably come out a few months after, but it's coming so yes, we did listen to you". *sigh...

So in the case of Daytona USA. Seriously, I would love to be wrong about them not supporting the game, and I really really love to be wrong in regards to everything I said about this new SEGA. Truth is though, there are so many talented people at SEGA who are brilliant, but they are stumped by key people in the roster who don't give a damn or let politics really interrupt good judgements. So, lets just be happy with what we got and be happy that they have Platinum Games and talented individuals in Sonic Team, AM2 and other Sega departments.

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
In the end of the day, as I've mentioned in my earlier post, SEGA only ported this game out of convenience. It was never ported in our consideration at all otherwise we would have received the Daytona USA that we all wanted over 6 years ago. SEGA no longer really care about their fans, they care about numbers and nothing more (of course it's about business, but all top business people know that you do not bite the hand that feeds you, i.e. your loyal fans). Heck, SEGA doesn't even have enough faith with their own brands otherwise we would have seen a number of sequels and evolved versions of their incredible IPs rather than zero.
You know, I'd almost certainly be with you on that point exactly, if not for one thing... we got Daytona, not Sega Racing Classic. That license wouldn't have been free, or cheap. It would've been way, WAY easier for them to port SRC because (from what I'd guess) the arcade is closer to the home hardware and basically everything is there. Here, they'd have to inject all the music and references back into the game. Also, I'm not sure how much SRC is like Daytona but the fact that every easter egg (including Damon Hill, that would be a bitch to license) is exactly the same as the original arcade... there's clearly some TLC that's gone into this.

I do hope I'm right, because if I am then it means we have a better chance of getting something like Sega Rally ported over (with similar licence deals). Scud Race would be less likely, with licensing having to go through McLaren and Porsche (ahahahahaha) but would be great to see, no doubt.

You're more of a superfan than I am though, so chances are you're right and this was a one-off fluke that just happened to work out for the diehards.

Trojan X

Banned
Shaneus said:
You know, I'd almost certainly be with you on that point exactly, if not for one thing... we got Daytona, not Sega Racing Classic. That license wouldn't have been free, or cheap. It would've been way, WAY easier for them to port SRC because (from what I'd guess) the arcade is closer to the home hardware and basically everything is there. Here, they'd have to inject all the music and references back into the game. Also, I'm not sure how much SRC is like Daytona but the fact that every easter egg (including Damon Hill, that would be a bitch to license) is exactly the same as the original arcade... there's clearly some TLC that's gone into this.

I do hope I'm right, because if I am then it means we have a better chance of getting something like Sega Rally ported over (with similar licence deals). Scud Race would be less likely, with licensing having to go through McLaren and Porsche (ahahahahaha) but would be great to see, no doubt.

You're more of a superfan than I am though, so chances are you're right and this was a one-off fluke that just happened to work out for the diehards.

Honestly, I want to be wrong because, like you, I want to play games like SEGA Rally, Scud Race and so on. However, the real truth is that SEGA don't be believe these games will sell in numbers and the latest test for them is the performance of Daytona. Simply put, if Daytona doesn't sell like hot cakes then we'll get NOTHING. Even though they did ZERO marketing on the game they don't care because as far as they are concern it is out.

Regarding the whole SEGA RACING CLASSIC and Daytona... The truth is that was again via convenience as Electronic Arts are holders of the NASCAR license, and SEGA are distributors for Electronic Arts in Japan. So again, convenience... If it weren't for this then we would have received SEGA Racing Classic.

If SEGA want these games to sell in high volume then they need to put the effort in. Some of these games won't sell big if they don't have enough attention to them (Sega Rally is only 4 players network play and doesn't host all the features that made the Sega Saturn version incredible). As shown via this forum alone, today's gamers are all about content, so if SEGA put the effort in then they'll get the sales (which is why I mentioned the DLC idea for Daytona USA).

Shaneus

Perhaps there's a decent chance that they could port the PS2 release of the original Sega Rally (that was bundled with some shite version of a SR sequel and released only in Japan, afaik) and Virtua Racing (which was done perfectly in a Sega Classics pack). With any luck, each of those releases may be enough to be the equivalent of an SRC=>Daytona easy port.

I'd like to see a Gamasutra-esque behind-the-scenes story of how Daytona PSN/XBLA came to be, particularly with the licensing behind it.

PS. Do you think that a release of arcade Sega Rally would benefit having more than four players online? The closed, tight tracks tend to lend themselves more to small-numbers racing than massive banks of Daytona/VR (or in the case of Sega World in Sydney, Indy 500) machines, IMO.

Trojan X

Banned
Shaneus said:
Perhaps there's a decent chance that they could port the PS2 release of the original Sega Rally (that was bundled with some shite version of a SR sequel and released only in Japan, afaik) and Virtua Racing (which was done perfectly in a Sega Classics pack). With any luck, each of those releases may be enough to be the equivalent of an SRC=>Daytona easy port.

I'd like to see a Gamasutra-esque behind-the-scenes story of how Daytona PSN/XBLA came to be, particularly with the licensing behind it.

PS. Do you think that a release of arcade Sega Rally would benefit having more than four players online? The closed, tight tracks tend to lend themselves more to small-numbers racing than massive banks of Daytona/VR (or in the case of Sega World in Sydney, Indy 500) machines, IMO.

It's true. SEGA got materials to work with but I think what they really should do is have more faith in their IPs and give us the evolved version of the games we love. For example, as mentioned in the other thread, would you love to have Daytona 2 with Forza 4 graphics, around 15 intricately designed tracks (when I say intricate, I'm implying each track to be fantastic as the original 3 and not just dumped there for the sake of it. That Forza 4 demo track is BEAUTIFUL and got SEGA written all over it), Night time racing, Real-time day & night which really showcases in grand prix mode, real-time weather, Replays, Performance comparisons against your friends and international league table, grip loss over duration of play to encourage using the Pit-Stop, Career mode with full performance tracking and TV Show style commentator guidance to keep everything hyped, exact gameplay as Daytona 2 arcade, massive steering wheel support with Force Feedback adjustments, 32 players online racing, massive presentation overhaul to the level of Speed Racer's final race (meaning you have announcers, commentators, crowds going WILD), Profile save on memory card so you can take it everywhere including to your friends' home for SPLIT SCREEN racing, LAN-network play so you can have many machine linked up, incredible music with each stage themed with their own tracks like the original, different vehicles that people can paint and stamp, team-play tournament support and future DLC content. What would you say to that? If that's not gaming cracK then I don't know what is!

SEGA Rally would greatly benefit with more players racing in the game. The tracks in Sega Rally 1 & 2 has many wide and narrow sections in which all battles end up being an epic fight for the best lines and queue placement. This is what made the arcade version so much fun in 4 players and that fun would be tripled in 12 players. Yes, 16 players sounds wild but it will work 10-folds, and the mechanics in Sega Rally is more intricate than Daytona which would allow every player to drive more precisely due to easier negotiation.

If I use the Mountain course as a good example... The average road is around 6 cars width size. When you are racing, the most cars that ever gets clogged together due to fighting for the best line is 3 and everyone will battle like crazy to get around a person. If there end up being a bottleneck with all the cars fighting in a tunnel then so be it, after all, that's exactly what would happen in a real-life so it would be exciting. If someone intentionally blocks the road by keeping the can idle sideways or be silly by driving in the opposite direct, then the CPU would just have to teleport them back to the correct position after several seconds.

Satchel

Banned
Colocho said:
I can only assume you started playing games later than most?

Anyone wanting state of the art visuals from a model 2 arcade port is missing the point entirely.

No game in my entire collection (and it's a big big collection) puts a smile on my face like Daytona USA.

It looks beautiful, it plays beautifully and it sounds horribly glorious.

It's a reminder to all gamers that no matter what technology does, nothing, but NOTHING, trumps pure unadulterated fun.

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
It's true. SEGA got materials to work with but I think what they really should do is have more faith in their IPs and give us the evolved version of the games we love. For example, as mentioned in the other thread, would you love to have Daytona 2 with Forza 4 graphics, around 15 intricately designed tracks (when I say intricate, I'm implying each track to be fantastic as the original 3 and not just dumped there for the sake of it. That Forza 4 demo track is BEAUTIFUL and got SEGA written all over it), Night time racing, Real-time day & night which really showcases in grand prix mode, real-time weather, Replays, Performance comparisons against your friends and international league table, grip loss over duration of play to encourage using the Pit-Stop, Career mode with full performance tracking and TV Show style commentator guidance to keep everything hyped, exact gameplay as Daytona 2 arcade, massive steering wheel support with Force Feedback adjustments, 32 players online racing, massive presentation overhaul to the level of Speed Racer's final race (meaning you have announcers, commentators, crowds going WILD), Profile save on memory card so you can take it everywhere including to your friends' home for SPLIT SCREEN racing, LAN-network play so you can have many machine linked up, incredible music with each stage themed with their own tracks like the original, different vehicles that people can paint and stamp, team-play tournament support and future DLC content. What would you say to that? If that's not gaming cracK then I don't know what is!
I haven't played D2 (I don't think it ever appeared in Australia... at least, I never saw it) but honestly? I'd much prefer to see an *exact* replica of what was in the arcade over what you mentioned. Sure, it would be great to see everything you mentioned above, but that's not Daytona 2. That's almost an entirely new IP.

I disagree with you on Sega Rally, though. Even though it never strived for hardcore realism, rallying never really lends itself (to me, at least) to having a great amount of cars vying for position at the same time. There's Special Stages that do IRL, but they're only ever two cars at the same time. Jostling for position is best left for Daytona or Indy 500 :)

But this is getting waaaaay OT. A 4 or 8-player Sega Rally (or V.R.) in original form would be epic in any fan's opinion!

Trojan X

Banned
Shaneus said:
I haven't played D2 (I don't think it ever appeared in Australia... at least, I never saw it) but honestly? I'd much prefer to see an *exact* replica of what was in the arcade over what you mentioned. Sure, it would be great to see everything you mentioned above, but that's not Daytona 2. That's almost an entirely new IP.

I disagree with you on Sega Rally, though. Even though it never strived for hardcore realism, rallying never really lends itself (to me, at least) to having a great amount of cars vying for position at the same time. There's Special Stages that do IRL, but they're only ever two cars at the same time. Jostling for position is best left for Daytona or Indy 500 :)

But this is getting waaaaay OT. A 4 or 8-player Sega Rally (or V.R.) in original form would be epic in any fan's opinion!

That's what I meant by evolve, it would be a new IP. Bringing the old to the modern age
so people would become addicts. ;)

Of course, I'd like to have the absolute original but that's what bothering many people at the moment, is the old form actually enough? If SEGA release the same thing as how they did for Daytona then you'll see people complain like they did earlier. You and I don't care about numbers much but these other people (mainstream) do, so if something can be done further regarding the number of tracks then it should be done so.

You are right, this is WAYYY OT. SEGA Rally is solely about the course and the multiplayer is a secondary element. However, I guarantee that if there was an 12 players (ok, let's reduce to 8 players for sensibility) then I am really sure that people like us would lose the plot and we'll bring new friends to the table to battle out on the game. That's what people did in the arcades and it done extremely well because of it - there was never 2 cars on the tracks and it worked perfectly fine thanks to the mechanics. Combine this with more tracks (the original SEGA Rally suppose to have 8 tracks, 4 of them were removed) then we'll have a winner.

Trojan X said:
I said to SEGA a long time ago (a senior executive in SEGA, probably gone now) that it's high time that you brought back Shinobi to this day and age, really give us the Shinobi that we want. They said to me that Shinobi is a done and dusted brand that everyone forgotten about. I said "ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!?! EVERY AVID GAMER KNOWS SHINOBI!!!" I gave them amps of ideas in the best way to do a Shinobi game and it all fallen on deaf ears. Then, guess what title came out? I give you a clue, the developers are TEAM NINJA. So, when that game came out I said to SEGA, "SEE!!!! SEEE!!!!?? Now you tell me, which brand is more recognisable, that or SHINOBI??? What game to you think people know more?? HUH?" Do you want to know what the reply was? Radio silence....

Sega released two Shinobi games in the year-and-a-half leading up to Ninja Gaiden. They spent good money, used (what was left of) the original team, released on the most popular console, and even did a reasonable amount of advertising (at least for the first one). Realistically, how much harder could they have tried?

Trojan X

Banned
Jerry Orbach said:
Sega released two Shinobi games in the year-and-a-half leading up to Ninja Gaiden. They spent good money, used (what was left of) the original team, released on the most popular console, and even did a reasonable amount of advertising (at least for the first one). Realistically, how much harder could they have tried?

Ah, yes. Thanks for pointing that out, you are right. You just completely reminded me about Shinobi on the PS2 developed by Overworks. Ok, I got no choice but to retract the Shinobi statement I made even though the SEGA talk was true. Maybe my words didn't fall on deaf ears?

It's unfortunate that the style for Shinobi wasn't adopted here in the same way as Ninja Gaiden and the gameplay itself wasn't "good" enough for gamers to pick up even though Shinobi sold reasonably in Japan.

The only part SEGA could have tried harder is by delivering a better game (I believe the average review score was 73%), but I can't fault them entirely for that for at least they didn't deliver a Beast Rider and every dogs has their day.

Again, thanks for pointing that out.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Survival Mode is awesome. Has anyone here put considerable time into it? I want to start making a list of everything that gives you a time bonus so I can start figuring out a good strategy for it.

really? no one's going to touch the mip-mapping on the street textures? i brought it up a few pages ago, but no one replied.

on 360 at least, the mip-mapping on the street texture is kindof poor...it's distracting for me because everything else is so tight but the floor recalls sonic adventure on dreamcast.

is it like this in the arcade? i cant remember? if it is, fair game.

DonMigs85

Barkley's Justice said:
really? no one's going to touch the mip-mapping on the street textures? i brought it up a few pages ago, but no one replied.

on 360 at least, the mip-mapping on the street texture is kindof poor...it's distracting for me because everything else is so tight but the floor recalls sonic adventure on dreamcast.

I also mentioned it. I guess putting in anisotropic filtering or improving the LOD bias hampers the 60FPS.

bwahhhhh

Barkley's Justice said:

IIRC it was about the same distance, yes, just that with the SD resolution and unfiltered textures it wasn't nearly as noticable. it's definitely the same on PS3 as the 360.

Top Bottom