• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

Shaneus

TheMan said:
Kind of excited for this but lots of hyperbole going on in this thread. GAF often gets wet for nostalgia...
99% of nostalgia-based excitement gets quenched when the actual game is released (or is playable via emulator or whatever). The fact that I (as a number of others) are still glowing about it says a lot. Only thing that could possibly be improved is a higher multiplayer number (currently at 4) and a sound test option.

Edit: Wait, is it more than 4P online? Damn. 8 is just fine then. Just watching Trojan's vid reminds me of epic arcade MP and that adrenaline you get when someone gets a time extension before you do, making you fully realise that you have some epic catchup to do.

GrayFoxPL

Trojan X said:
Im surprised that isamu haven't posted yet.

Isn't he pissed off about getting his thread closed?

or maybe he got caught in a recent wave of bannings? I don't even know when or where that happened. :(

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Shaneus said:
99% of nostalgia-based excitement gets quenched when the actual game is released (or is playable via emulator or whatever). The fact that I (as a number of others) are still glowing about it says a lot.
Including that review you got so mad about.

FreeMufasa

SEGA of Europe fucked up, big time. Could have bought this yesterday but i'll be so swamped come November I won't be able to find the time.

Alcahest

Hardcoded R2 to accelerate ruined an otherwise perfect conversion for me.
Damn, damn, DAMN!

PLEASE SEGA RELEASE A PATCH ALLOWING FULL CONTROLS REMAP !!

Zabka

Sega's XBL releases have been so awesome lately. Another amazing port, the lack of AF being my one big knock against it.

Shaneus

Alcahest said:
Hardcoded R2 to accelerate ruined an otherwise perfect conversion for me.
Damn, damn, DAMN!

PLEASE SEGA RELEASE A PATCH ALLOWING FULL CONTROLS REMAP !!
If you're using a controller, how else would you have it?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone recommend an available steering wheel system for either console that won't destroy the bank?

krpiper

olubode said:
Can someone recommend an available steering wheel system for either console that won't destroy the bank?

The speed wheel is quite nice I;ve been using it for Forza 4 and the demo of this game

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
congratulations you just lost your sponsors! lol, i remember the day i discovered that in the saturn version, awesome that its an achievement now.

still having trouble getting the good starts off the line, anyone able to offer detail instructions? i suck and need to reclaim my former sega glory :(

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Is that the wireless joint from MS? I was hoping for something with paddles and peddles.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
olubode said:

Logitech Driving Force GT

I have the superior (but a lot more expensive) G27 but the DFGT is very, very good value

krpiper said:
The speed wheel is quite nice I;ve been using it for Forza 4 and the demo of this game

Not a wheel.

Shaneus

I'd imagine the DFGT would be the ultimate budget wheel if you own both consoles and don't live in PAL-land... but if you do (or only own the 360) then the speed wheel is surprisingly good.

kinn

What a great port. My hat goes off to you Sega!

Just seen something on the advanced track. The long left turn just before the space shuttle, there is a message on the wall. Says something like "Nothing else would satisfy you...Model 2". Now was that in the arcade/saturn/DC versions?

Also, are the usual little easter eggs in this version as well? ie Jeffery statue rotating, slot machine working etc?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Shaneus said:
If you're using a controller, how else would you have it?

X as accel and L2 as gear 1, L1 as gear 2, R2 as gear 3, R1 as gear 4? You could easily just tap which gear you want to change too since your fingers are sitting right over them?

Shame it's hard coded.

Trojan X

Banned
junkster said:
Really intense race, especially when he flips but lands in front of you lol

Dude, I freaked out when I saw that. If I didn't put on the breaks I'm sure my car would have flip on top on it! My opponents were like a pack of wolves. So wild.

kinn said:

Just seen something on the advanced track. The long left turn just before the space shuttle, there is a message on the wall. Says something like "Nothing else would satisfy you...Model 2". Now was that in the arcade/saturn/DC versions?

Also, are the usual little easter eggs in this version as well? ie Jeffery statue rotating, slot machine working etc?

All the easter eggs are there. Nothing has changed. :) Check out a few posts back for codes and tip-offs.

Shaneus

kinn said:

Every single easter egg. Changing VR buttons in attract mode, stopping the slot machine (in both game AND attract, just like the arcade), Jeffry, loss of sponsors, time attack mode, high score initials music (for O.R/Outrun etc.)... everything. Check out the credits as well for one piece of Daytona I'd *completely* forgotten about and hadn't seen since it was last in arcades.

evlcookie said:
X as accel and L2 as gear 1, L1 as gear 2, R2 as gear 3, R1 as gear 4? You could easily just tap which gear you want to change too since your fingers are sitting right over them?

Shame it's hard coded.
Daytona was never meant for digital acceleration or braking, I guess. Pretty sure you couldn't change it on the DC one either. To be honest I can't see it being used any other way than how it's been mapped, especially when throwing down two gear positions in a hit... mimics the arcade the closest that way with the face buttons.

Trojan X

Banned
op_ivy said:
congratulations you just lost your sponsors! lol, i remember the day i discovered that in the saturn version, awesome that its an achievement now.

still having trouble getting the good starts off the line, anyone able to offer detail instructions? i suck and need to reclaim my former sega glory :(

Maintain your Acceleration between "6 - 7" rev and keep your Breaks relaxed at full press. Upon countdown, Count along with it, "3, 2, 1..." .... feel the countdown timing and do not let the tension waver your acceleration and relaxed breaking effort. Then when the countdown timer about to SAY "go" and not show the word "GO", just release the breaks but keep the acceleration maintained between 6-7 revs. Your car will then perform the perfect start hence the boast start.

Once you got it nailed down a few times it will become second nature to you... and no this is not cheating. :)

Trojan X

Banned
evlcookie said:

Shame it's hard coded.

The way its mapped right now is perfect (that's EXACTLY how I had my one mapped on the emu version) and your mapping method got flaws. With your method, you won't be able to perform the perfect start (the boast start), maintain a stable optimum drift on certain corners, and you'll have trouble accelerating without wheel-spinning which will cause you to perform slower acceleration. So, I strongly advise you to stick to the set-up it has now unless you are not using the same Playstation joypad as everyone else.

Ok, here are the two videos I've made so far in one post. Enjoy the madness!

DAYTONA USA Xbox 360 (HD 1080P) CRAZY Multiplayer RACE No #1! (Beginners Course) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9eBW-9ma6s

DAYTONA USA Xbox 360 (HD 1080P) CRAZY Multiplayer RACE No #2! (Advanced Course) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxmQXRLTltw

Is there a demo on XBLA?

I mean, I know I want the game, but I won't be able to get it until next week. Just need a taste to get me through this one. Of course, I could just set up my Saturn...

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
The way its mapped right now is perfect (that's EXACTLY how I had my one mapped on the emu version) and your mapping method got flaws. With your method, you won't be able to perform the perfect start (the boast start), maintain a stable optimum drift on certain corners, and you'll have trouble accelerating without wheel-spinning which will cause you to perform slower acceleration. So, I strongly advise you to stick to the set-up it has now unless you are not using the same Playstation joypad as everyone else.
I remember you wrote that a few pages ago. When I saw the config, I had to try and remember whether you were talking about your own settings or the ones that were in the game and you just managed to download it early
lol.gif

God damnit, I just want to get home and play. And watch attract/credits mode.

DidntKnowJack said:
Is there a demo on XBLA?

I mean, I know I want the game, but I won't be able to get it until next week. Just need a taste to get me through this one. Of course, I could just set up my Saturn...
Every game on XBLA has a demo :)

Trojan X

Banned
Shaneus said:
I remember you wrote that a few pages ago. When I saw the config, I had to try and remember whether you were talking about your own settings or the ones that were in the game and you just managed to download it early
lol.gif

God damnit, I just want to get home and play. And watch attract/credits mode.

I think that was a good demonstration of great minds thinking alike. ;) I managed to play the game for the first time on my Xbox approximately 14 hours ago.

Just got done playing it for about 30 min.. fan-frickin-tastic :D I'm so happy this is out. I tried an online game and it worked beautifully...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DidntKnowJack said:
Is there a demo on XBLA?

Of course there is. It's mandatory on XBLA.

Satchel

Banned
bishoptl said:
Congratulations!
Thanks boss. Still at the hospital. Had zero sleep in over 24 hours.

But when I got the chance, I had to play Daytona. Had been hanging all day for it, and the kid ruined EVERYTHING!!!11! :D

Shaneus

Satchel said:
Thanks boss. Still at the hospital. Had zero sleep in over 24 hours.

But when I got the chance, I had to play Daytona. Had been hanging all day for it, and the kid ruined EVERYTHING!!!11! :D
You know, if Dakota can be a girls name, so could Daytona...

hort22

Now I remember why I hated this game as a kid....cause I was the worst Daytona driver ever...doesn't seem to matter that much now...still the worst driver ever and loving it...lol

With this and the new nba jam on fire edition if we could get an updated hd version of nhl94...I could quit buying sports titles.

this game looks drop-dead gorgeous. model 2 was a beast.

also, the sound is so loud and cacophony, i love it.

one minor thing that distracts me: was the mip-mapping on the road always that bad, for lack of a better word? i don't recall it being that way, but perhaps i never noticed?

playing on 360, btw

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Steamrolling over randoms is starting to get boring. If anyone here wants a game later tonight, please add me (Xbox: Sixfortyfive). I'm going to step out to grab something to eat and then I'll probably be on most of the rest of the evening.

smurfx

get some go again
Sixfortyfive said:
Steamrolling over randoms is starting to get boring. If anyone here wants a game later tonight, please add me (Xbox: Sixfortyfive). I'm going to step out to grab something to eat and then I'll probably be on most of the rest of the evening.
rolling staaaaaaaaaaaart. lol i would buy this game but i know i'll play it once and never again. rather waste my money on AE since i might play that.

Awesome port! I can't believe how good everything looks.

My only complaint is that it's really just Daytona Arcade, none of the extra cars and tracks from the past releases. That's okay but it would've been great to see as well.

It really makes me hope for more great releases like this.

TheMan

I was excited to download this, but damn the game has not aged well...should have just left it as a pleasant memory rather than try and revisit the past.

Brofist

TheMan said:
I was excited to download this, but damn the game has not aged well...should have just left it as a pleasant memory rather than try and revisit the past.
Really? I think it looks great even today. I mean if you were expecting GT5 visuals then yeah I guess I can understand.

TheMan

kpop100 said:
Really? I think it looks great even today. I mean if you were expecting GT5 visuals then yeah I guess I can understand.

Definitely wasn't expecting anything eye-popping, but the game looks and plays like a free java-based game I'd play for free using my browser. You really can't go back home :-(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
just chillin' in a lobby playin' advanced course with some peeps ...over and over...

...forever...

i can't stop!

Shaneus

TheMan said:
TheMan said:
Definitely wasn't expecting anything eye-popping, but the game looks and plays like a free java-based game I'd play for free using my browser. You really can't go back home :-(
I'm not sure what you were personally expecting, but it seems to meet a lot of people's expectations. If it was a 2D game you'd expect some increased sprite detail etc. but given that it's a 3D game, what more could you ask for other than an arcade perfect conversion?

That, or you're trolling.

Satchel said:
My wife would sooner castrate me than let me name our daughter Daytona.
Something more subtle perhaps... but nothing comes to mind. Let me think about it ;)

Top Bottom