• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

My anecdotal-informal poll of non message board reading, Internet arguing folks (i.e. 'normal people ') seems to indicate the only part of the upcoming movie they are unsure of is Eisenberg's Luthor.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
My anecdotal-informal poll of non message board reading, Internet arguing folks (i.e. 'normal people ') seems to indicate the only part of the upcoming movie they are unsure of is Eisenberg's Luthor.

That is extremely fair. To be honest I am still not convinced even from the other clip that was released recently. But all those who have seen the movie almost unequivocally say he is fantastic in the role so I am super curious.

Magwik

Banned

I'm convinced those who are unsure of the role are those still upset it's a different take on Luthor.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I'm convinced those who are unsure of the role are those still upset it's a different take on Luthor.

I am not upset that it looks different. I am all for different but the delivery does not seem natural in the clips I have seen so far. I still feel the worst bit is in the second trailer - his delivery just feels off. Maybe that is an issue with only one scene.

duckroll

I don't think that's all there is to it. There are some serious questions to be asked about this take on Luthor. It's not just different, but it seems more exposed than Luthor tends to be as a villain. We have him here openly doing and saying things which are extremely on the nose, like he is literally written to put himself out there in the public doing a nudge nudge wink wink look-at-me-im-setting-up-Batman-and-Superman. That's how the trailers make it seem. Maybe it's different in the actual movie, but I would say that's a weak link in what we've seen so far.

Magwik

Banned
I am not upset that it looks different. I am all for different but the delivery does not seem natural in the clips I have seen so far. I still feel the worst bit is in the second trailer - his delivery just feels off. Maybe that is an issue with only one scene.
I'd chalk that up to the trailer editing at least. But the eccentricity is just one of the things I came to expect with him playing Luthor.

generic_username

I don't think that's all there is to it. There are some serious questions to be asked about this take on Luthor. It's not just different, but it seems more exposed than Luthor tends to be as a villain. We have him here openly doing and saying things which are extremely on the nose, like he is literally written to put himself out there in the public doing a nudge nudge wink wink look-at-me-im-setting-up-Batman-and-Superman. That's how the trailers make it seem. Maybe it's different in the actual movie, but I would say that's a weak link in what we've seen so far.

I agree.

I'd chalk that up to the trailer editing at least. But the eccentricity is just one of the things I came to expect with him playing Luthor.

Hope that is the case.

Talked to my family. Everyone is free on Thursday. We've decided on going to the real IMAX theater to see Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice at 6 PM. Can't fucking wait.

generic_username

I mean there interview scene between Clark and Bruce goes much differently than the trailers (there's a clip somewhere) so I doubt it's all nearly as abrupt as it looks

Yeah that scene between Clark and Bruce is great in the new clip. Yeah It could very well just be the editing fault.

duckroll

Talked to my family. Everyone is free on Thursday. We've decided on going to the real IMAX theater to see Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice at 6 PM. Can't fucking wait.

I hate everyone who lives near a real IMAX theater. I really do. It's nothing personal, just jealousy. :(

Magwik

Banned
I hate everyone who lives near a real IMAX theater. I really do. It's nothing personal, just jealousy. :(
Wanna know what's worse than not having a real IMAX? Having one but it only being used to play educational movies for kids, then a second one opening with the same plan. The last real movie they played was Interstellar I think.

Sorry. :'(

If I could help get you to one, I would!

It's really an experience like no other. I saw a few other movies there, like Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol and The Dark Knight Rises, and it's just amazing.

duckroll

Wanna know what's worse than not having a real IMAX? Having one but it only being used to play educational movies for kids, then a second one opening with the same plan. The last real movie they played was Interstellar I think.

I thought that's what Omnimax theaters are for. We have one in the local Science Center. It's great, but it doesn't do normal films. Last full feature I watched there was probably Fantasia 2000.

Ashhong

That's QUEEN Mera to you!

Aquaman's much better half!

omg shes going to be wet half of the time? yesss

hm, I must have asked it in a different thread so i'll ask here:

what are the absolute top two DC animated movies to watch? Something with Justice League. Or just Batman/Superman I guess. I haven't seen anything other than TDKR.

bryanee

omg shes going to be wet half of the time? yesss

hm, I must have asked it in a different thread so i'll ask here:

what are the absolute top two DC animated movies to watch? Something with Justice League. Or just Batman/Superman I guess. I haven't seen anything other than TDKR.

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is a fun time. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is my favourite of the JL flicks.

I just said this over in the prediction thread, but you know what animated movie doesn't get enough respect? Superman vs. The Elite. That is some top shelf Superman shit people. From top to bottom, especially bottom, because LAWD that final act.

I just said this over in the prediction thread, but you know what animated movie doesn't get enough respect? Superman vs. The Elite. That is some top shelf Superman shit people. From top to bottom, especially bottom, because LAWD that final act.

Yeah there's a lot of great dc animated films out there. There's really only a handful I wouldn't recommend, I didn't care for Superman Doomsday (failed to do Reign of the Supermen and Cyborg Superman + Mongul in lieu of a clone of Superman :|) and Son of Batman. I haven't seen bad blood yet, my underrated pick is Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam.

Yeah there's a lot of great dc animated films out there. There's really only a handful I wouldn't recommend, I didn't care for Superman Doomsday (failed to do Reign of the Supermen and Cyborg Superman + Mongul in lieu of a clone of Superman :|) and Son of Batman. I haven't seen bad blood yet, my underrated pick is Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam.

Oooh, that's a fun one too.

Son of Batman was... okay, I guess. Hugely inferior to the actual story naturally, but okay for what it was. Deathstroke jobbed like a motherfucker, but he's still paying back the karma from Identity Crisis, so that's fine. I started watching Doomsday and tapped out after like 5 minutes, that artstyle was too much for me.

jackdoe

yeah, that's a bad look for Waid
Mark Waid shouldn't take everything so personally and ignore those insane Man of Steel fanboys that hound him at every turn. Honestly, he should have just blocked whoever he wanted to block and be done with it. No further discussion, and put it and all the other fanboys behind him.

generic_username

Absolutely phenomenal Superman story. Anyone who thinks Superman is boring as a goody two shoes needs to see that or read the comic. In one fight Supes shows why he is awesome as goody two shoes and what the alternative entails.

Ok folks will we get a moment like this in this movie? I need a Gadot moment with this move in the movie

giphy.gif

Snyder I will be eternally grateful to you.

Oooh, that's a fun one too.

Son of Batman was... okay, I guess. Hugely inferior to the actual story naturally, but okay for what it was. Deathstroke jobbed like a motherfucker, but he's still paying back the karma from Identity Crisis, so that's fine. I started watching Doomsday and tapped out after like 5 minutes, that artstyle was too much for me.

doomsday was so bad

Absolutely phenomenal Superman story. Anyone who thinks Superman is boring as a goody two shoes needs to see that or read the comic. In one fight Supes shows why he is awesome as goody two shoes and what the alternative entails.

Ok folks will we get a moment like this in this movie? I need a Gadot moment with this move in the movie

giphy.gif

Snyder I will be eternally grateful to you.
I've seen that GIF a lot, and I still don't get what's so special about that moment. The animation is great, but there's nothing really standout about her actions there IMO

generic_username

I've seen that GIF a lot, and I still don't get what's so special about that moment. The animation is great, but there's nothing really standout about her actions there IMO

She just looks badass to me doing that.. dunno lol.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Mark Waid shouldn't take everything so personally and ignore those insane Man of Steel fanboys that hound him at every turn. Honestly, he should have just blocked whoever he wanted to block and be done with it. No further discussion, and put it and all the other fanboys behind him.

No excuses for the idiots that insult him, but to me his problem is that he thinks his Superman is the only Superman that should exist. That means no room for other interpretations. The reason why these characters have go on for so long, and stay relevant for such a long time is exactly because of all the different interpretations throughout the years. His Superman won't kill, and will always come up with something in tough situations, ok man that's cool, that's one intepretation of the character.

It's my problem with these comic book writers, they think they OWN the characters after writing them for awhile. When that's not really the case. Too much ego.

Penguin

6 more sleeps

Better or worse, who knows

But I do know that Batman V Superman will at least EVOLVE the Man of Steel discussion. How folks still argue about it baffles my mind.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm surprised how many "great" comments there have been. I mean, I know I will like it and I'm confident it will be entertaining, but great? That's a strong word.

BadAss2961

I'm surprised how many "great" comments there have been. I mean, I know I will like it and I'm confident it will be entertaining, but great? That's a strong word.
It's gonna be great. I can see it.

It'll look even greater amongst the recent sea of mediocrity that has lowered expectations of what these movies can be.

generic_username

Campea on twitter

Maybe the friend is Frosty from Collider?

Yeah I am surprised. I did not expect it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's gonna be great. I can see it.

It'll look even greater amongst the recent sea of mediocrity that has lowered expectations of what these movies can be.
I won't be shocked if it's great but I'm not expecting it. The formula is in place though... Snyders vision + Terrio's script + Affleck's influence + great cast + 3 year production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom