• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Once again a positive impression. I do believe we are heading towards a consensus. And weird?? I love weird!

Cooter

Product placement complainers always make me chuckle. It takes zero away from the story or atmosphere IMO.

duckroll

Product placement complainers always make me chuckle. It takes zero away from the story or atmosphere IMO.

You clearly do not watch Hawaii Five-O, but then again I guess it can be argued that there isn't much story or atmosphere there to take away from.

Cooter

You clearly do not watch Hawaii Five-O, but then again I guess it can be argued that there isn't much story or atmosphere there to take away from.
I do not Haha. I guess if they are pulling a Truman Show it would but most of the time it's harmless.

guek

Banned

It depends entirely on how it's executed. The best product placement doesn't break immersion or draw too much attention to itself, or if it does draw attention to itself, does so in a clever or funny way. I think MoS got criticized for its product placement because of how concentrated it was. Having 7-11, Sears, U-haul, and IHOP logos so prominently displayed in plain view during the Smallville fight for so long in such quick succession was pretty obnoxious and totally broke immersion, at least for me, because it was both blatant and repetitive. One of my most hated bits of product placement though is in Winter Soldier. It's subtle but once I noticed
almost every vehicle is a Chevy
, I can't help but notice it every time I watch that movie and it always breaks immersion. I spoilered it in case something like that might annoy another neurotic poster :p

But the worst ever in a comicbook movie has gotta be this shit:

vLNrjUf.jpg

Polarburr

I. Am. Booked!!

I was a bit bummed out a few weeks ago because I thought I'd be missing the premiere here in the Philippines (26th) because I'm going to Hong Kong for Holy Week.

Turns out HK gets it 2 days earlier. Yeeeeees!

It depends entirely on how it's executed. The best product placement doesn't break immersion or draw too much attention to itself, or if it does draw attention to itself, does so in a clever or funny way. I think MoS got criticized for its product placement because of how concentrated it was. Having 7-11, Sears, U-haul, and IHOP logos so prominently displayed in plain view during the Smallville fight for so long in such quick succession was pretty obnoxious and totally broke immersion, at least for me, because it was both blatant and repetitive. One of my most hated bits of product placement though is in Winter Soldier. It's subtle but once I noticed
almost every vehicle is a Chevy
, I can't help but notice it every time I watch that movie and it always breaks immersion. I spoilered it in case something like that might annoy another neurotic poster :p

But the worst ever in a comicbook movie has gotta be this shit:

vLNrjUf.jpg

yeah but the government usually gets a fleet of vehicles from the same maker, if anything it's somewhat realistic. and the product placement in MoS didn't bother me, made it feel more like a real town than a make believe one.

I think sometimes the product placement can be more cultural than anything. In MoS it didnr bother me because I only see the brands in pics of America etc...but if Zod said "Stop, Faora...i must investigate this SubWay...you there! Make me a footlong honey wheat BLT for only 5.99" then id probably laugh and be bothered.

duckroll

I think sometimes the product placement can be more cultural than anything. In MoS it didnr bother me because I only see the brands in pics of America etc...but if Zod said "Stop, Faora...i must investigate this SubWay...you there! Make me a footlong honey wheat BLT for only 5.99" then id probably laugh and be bothered.

Aha. Someone who watches Hawaii Five-O! Or saw a clip on Youtube. :p

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Marc Bernardin from Fatman on Batman tweeted a random thumbs up. Make of that what you will.

IMAX is the way to go. While not a proper IMAX shot, this should give you an idea of what to expect:
Regular:
YRpurxx.png

IMAX:
blaH1H5.png

Actual IMAX footage should have more height.

For a more accurate comparison of regular vs. IMAX, here's a comparison of shot of Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol:
Regular:
bUB9j6H.jpg

IMAX:
DrjsLQE.jpg

IMAX is the way to go. While not a proper IMAX shot, this should give you an idea of what to expect:

Actual IMAX footage should have more height.

For a more accurate comparison of regular vs. IMAX, here's a comparison of shot of Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol:

IMAX remains the god format.

Yeah, Wade went crazy, apparently Slott did too. I did like the Forbes guy setting the record straight on how the contributor stuff works. He was hired, he gets paid, is a professional journalist, not just "some dude".

I still have trouble understanding the violent reactions against MoS, IU can get not liking parts of it, as it does stumble, but it was always a pretty good Superman movie, possibly the best one ever actually. On rewatch especially my opinion of the movie improved.

Yeah, it's only really egregious when you've got something like Hawaii Five-O or something where they devote a scene to promoting the product. Like Eureka with their Subarus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom