• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first half is also a bit worse in retrospect,
a lot of Lex's plotting seems utterly unnecessary given the opening of the film gives Batman a pretty strong reason to go after Superman in the first place.
It essentially takes an age to set up an encounter which doesn't really require that much setup in the established scenario of the world.

Yeah, that might be my biggest problem with the film. The first scene with Affleck is genuinely great, it sets up his motivations perfectly. And the movie establishes early on why Clark has an issue with Batman. But they feel the need to give additional reasons for Superman and Batman to fight and that weakens the impact of the whole film. There is no philosophical conflict between the two of them, they just do what they've been told to do by
Lex Luthor and the Flash.

Boke1879

The two things I could've cut out or changed:

Knightmare sequence, it's not really made clear Bruce is dreaming or it's actually in the future... being a huge DC nerd I called it, Flash goes back in time and warns Bruce, but if you're not a fan you aren't getting this I think. It didn't click for me until I saw Flash... I wouldn't remove it because it's actually really cool.

JL cameos felt really forced... could've been handled differently and a bit more spread out instead of, let's pause 5 minutes and watch this. Then again, it sets up the dialog between WW and Batman at the very end of the movie.

But honestly, I can't think of removing anything else... everything just sort of fit. They kind of ignored the whole
false god thing at the end, but I have a feeling the movie wasn't about that, it was about Superman and him finding his place and not the world's finding his place on Earth

Honestly, really really liked this movie. Very very minor complaints. I'm baffled that this many people didn't outright enjoy it. It felt soooo weird and different but sooo familiar if you're a DC fan who's read a few comics. I'm not sure why it doesn't resonate for others.

I'd definitely change the Knightmare. I didn't mind the email because there was at least a reference to it a couple of times earlier in the movie.

But yea I wouldn't change much honestly and for all the complaints about editing and pacing it didn't really bother me because I felt everything flowed well and had purpose. I guess I would say more action in the first half but then where would you put it without it being forced in?

Random aside :

I just downloaded Justice League Heroes on my Vita, it's a pretty fun Marvel Ultimate Alliance type game that was released a while ago on the PSP. It's 10 dollars and you get 8 dollars in Movie Cash (no sure what that is!) to go see BvS.

Random aside :

I just downloaded Justice League Heroes on my Vita, it's a pretty fun Marvel Ultimate Alliance type game that was released a while ago on the PSP. It's 10 dollars and you get 8 dollars in Movie Cash (no sure what that is!) to go see BvS.

I loved that game.

I wish we got more superhero games that aren't just Batman, Lego and mobile apps...

It's becoming clear to me that the film needed more exposition. I understood most themes being presented, but it seems like some things are going way over people's head.

witness

Movie just opened very strong in Australia, beating Deadpool and Ultron.

Off to a good start, hope it keeps up

Excellent news! Hoping for the best this weekend. Too bad it wasn't critically acclaimed so we will never know what it could have done, unlike TFA.

I'm impatiently waiting for my 2nd viewing on Sunday. IMAX 2D this time, we did not like the 3D at all. It was very blurry during action scenes. Think I'm done with 3D after this one.

PBY

Banned
It's becoming clear to me that the film needed more exposition. I understood most themes being presented, but it seems like some things are going way over people's head.
I really thought the script was a mess. Not sure how WB let this happen with 3 years. The mish mash of shit that happens is insane. I also felt that Zach was a let down - his signature action wasn't here.

This movie reminds me a lot of Spider-Man 3 - I didn't hate it and it has a bunch of awesome scenes that don't really work, but I was entertained for the most part. The Spider-Man 3 comp even works down to the final team up against a cgi blob.

I loved that game.

I wish we got more superhero games that aren't just Batman, Lego and mobile apps...

Batman definitely gets too much of the spotlight but DC has done a lot of things right in their approach to games. Aside from the Arkham stuff, Injustice and DC Universe Online do a good job of showcasing the greater DCU. Sure, it's very Batman centric, but everything is these days. Lego Batman 2 is almost more of a Superman game in its second half and Lego Batman 3 is a really fun Green Lantern game that happens to feature Batman and the Justice League.

I think gaming is one area where DC is clearly ahead of Marvel (although I'm sad I can't play Marvel Heroes because my PC sucks) and I'm pretty happy with their offerings. Now, I just want a Superman game, dammit ! Give it to Platinum or CyberConnect 2. I want a remake of Asura's Wrath starring Superman.

Tabby

What really bums me out about this movie is that there are genuinely some good moments.

Lex throwing pictures of Martha at Superman was my favourite scene. Lex blowing up the Capitol building was great. "You're not brave. Men are Brave" was great. Wonder Woman was great.
But then everything else is just exposition or filler. Any time there's tension rising and things start to heat him we cut to something that just kills all momentum.

There is good movie to be salvaged here.

Magwik

Banned
What really bums me out about this movie is that there are genuinely some good moments.

Lex throwing pictures of Martha at Superman was my favourite scene. Lex blowing up the Capitol building was great. "You're not brave. Men are Brave" was great. Wonder Woman was great.
But then everything else is just exposition or filler. Any time there's tension rising and things start to heat him we cut to something that just kills all momentum.

That entire helipad scene was how Lex should have been the entire movie. He just fucking dominated Superman.

My favourite parts were the small character moments.

- Superman deciding to save people instead of following someone he thinks is suspicious.
- Lex's party speech.
- The jar at the congressional hearing.

So many small details that I thought were fantastic.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just got back from the first IMAX show here in Lahore, Pakistan.

I liked it a lot! Not sure where all the critics are coming from, honestly. NO WAY is it a 30 % film, or anywhere close. The movie DID have its problems, but that's true for many films that are considered good to great even. Thing is, we had a great time, and the cinema was very, very vocal as well throughout, with a lot of cheers. Several folks in Batman and Superman shirts. I didn't even know we had so many nerds here where I live. Was happy when I exited.

Here's some more as to the film.

+ BEAUTIFUL INTRO! Seriously, this was done REALLY well. Goosebumps throughout.

+ Ben Affleck as Batman. I had my doubts, as did many others, as to whether he was the right person for the job. He IS! Affleck was excellent here, and the suit was superb!

+ The action scenes. When they do come in, they're balls-to-the-walls, and super-kinetic. Can't expect anything less from Zack Snyder. He's a visual director, and it shows here in spades.

+ Batman v Superman. Crazy shit. Had everyone cheering.

+ Wonder Woman's arrival blew the roof off of the cinema. I'm not a fan as such, but everyone loved it, and it pumped me up a lot as well.

- Jesse played Jesse. Nothing I didn't expect. He's like a retard as he is in most of his films. Didn't really matter in the end, I guess, as I got used to him, but he pissed me off in the start.

- Could have had a stronger flow. It showed that Snyder ran out of time, or had to cut in too many things at once and introduce plot elements fairly quickly. I guess the director's cut will allow things to breath more.

---

So, yeah, there you have it. Critics can eat shit.

duckroll

Write your opinion after, really curious.

Before I start, for reference here's how I felt in 2013:

I'm back. I'll post more detailed impressions later and talk about what I felt worked and what didn't, but in general I was disappointed. The movie turned out to be everything I feared from the initial trailers and director/writer choices. The positive vibes I felt from the more recently promotional material turned out to be huge red herrings. Meh. :(

On a lighter note, it was hilarious to see how much of the Jon Peters crap Kevin Smith mentioned years ago was in the film:

- Polar bears
- Cute robot sidekick
- Doors opening like King Kong
- Eyes of a violent caged animal, a fucking killer
- Giant fucking spider

Yeaaaaaaaaaah.

Time to post more detailed thoughts:

I really appreciate what Zack Snyder wanted to do with the film. I love the vision behind it, and it's easy to see that everyone was trying their best to make a different Superman movie. I'll give it full marks for effort. Unfortunately it's also clear that he's in way over his head. Having never made a serious movie of this sort before which relies more on characterization that just spamming cool stuff on screen, his inexperience shows. The editing in the first half of the film is abysmally poor. Scenes are poorly connected, the chronological rearrangement removes depth and development from characters, and the lack of context makes it hard to care for any of the characters early on. Instead of feeling like a smart non-chronological origin story, it just felt disjointed and messy. This misstep hurts the rest of the movie badly, because when the foundation is weak in a serious film, everything that follows starts to crumble.

While Snyder carries a lot of the blame for the poor execution, I think a substantial amount of fault also lies on Goyer. The script is a muddled mess, and for every great idea (like making Krypton a more fantasy-like world and culture) there are a handful of awful redundant garbage which bogs the film down (like everything involving genetics in the film). The relationships are weak, most of the character arcs are shallow, and yet the script wallows in them like they are a strong driving force and motivation for everything else. Really bizarre choice. There's so much "look at me, I'm a SERIOUS movie", it's hard not to look deeper into every scene, only to see that often there's nothing there, or that the message doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I really liked the individual isolated character moments which did work. Some of Clark's childhood scenes are really well realized and shot, and stand out on their own. They don't really work that well as part of the larger movie, but I really liked some of the moments themselves. The action was also really impressive until it goes right into videogame territory at the very end. The depiction of the Kryptonians and the flight sequences were really cool, and there was a real sense of speed and force when they create impact on the environment or each other. Some of the fights in the middle of the movie were actually enjoyable to watch and felt well planned. The climax was like Kingdom Hearts 2 x Metal Gear Rising though. I guess it's the coolest Superman videogame boss battle I've ever seen, but for a movie it's kinda silly.

But in the end, I think what left the worst taste in my mouth was how the final fight ended. I can't really discuss it without spoiling so....
The contrived situation they created right at the end there to make Superman kill Zod without managing to stop him from killing those people was fucking moronic. It felt so engineered and unnatural that the only thing I could think of was some 16 year old kid going "WOW IT WOULD BE SO DARK AND EDGY IF THAT HAPPENED AND THEN BAM HE HAS TO TWIST HIS NECK OFF IN A VIOLENT RAGE!!!" Yeah, no. It was dumb, uncalled for, and just stupid. The family had this huge time window to run the fuck away long before Zod decided to use any lasers, but they just huddled into the corner like they were stuck in a 2D game background. What a joke.

I'll give the movie 6.5/10 maybe, and only because I feel bad for Snyder that he failed because of his shortcomings and not because of actual poor decisions. His heart was in the right place, he just lacked the skill and experience for it.

SJRB

Gold Member
...and I'm back home.

I feel like I need to meditate in order to form an opinion. I'm honestly not sure if it was good or bad.

Mrcapcom

Ok so maybe I'm not a huge fanboy or DC reader but can someone please explain
The Flash Scene? I pretty much knew it was him from the red but didn't he have like a armored suit on? I swore I saw like a metal helmet on him towards the end. Was that real or just a dream with in a dream within a dream....

The Flash Scene? I pretty much knew it was him from the red but didn't he have like a armored suit on? I swore I saw like a metal helmet on him towards the end. Was that real or just a dream with in a dream within a dream....

It's basically future Flash. A lot of Flash stories revolve around time travel. It might be that's his outfit in a far future movie.

SJRB

Gold Member

This exact sequence was the moment where I thought "Oh no, this isn't good".

It felt so incredibly out of place, I still don't understand what the point of it was.

It could be a new suit, but we definitely know that he has a normal suit too.

Here can you see a glimpse by the way, it's the photo with Snyder and Momoa
http://i0.wp.com/batman-news.com/wp...n-Momoa.jpg?fit=800,685&quality=85&strip=info

This exact sequence was the moment where I thought "Oh no, this isn't good".

It felt so incredibly out of place, I still don't understand what the point of it was.

Yeah, the whole sequence was useless imo. I think they thought they need another reason why Batman should take on Superman. Meh, whatever, didn't bother me that much.

Yeah, in the comics the Flash time travels a lot with a "cosmic treadmill". The helmet was probably part of the equipment that allowed him to reach Batman through time to warn him. He's probably trying to prevent the events we see in the nightmare sequence and the arrival of Darkseid on earth.
That's how I interpreted it anyway.

I agree but that's what the RT score says and that's what people will parrot. Personally I don't think it's anywhere that low and while I personally loved the film I'd say based on criticisms the movie is probably around 65

The critics average rating is around 5.0

That isnt far off 65.

There's so many good parts marred with some bad editing/pacing. I liked a lot of the concepts and the themes, and the way they all tied together by the end of the movie.

I already gave my personal score, but I think 65-75% would have been more in line with my expectations after having seen the film.

I liked it better than most modern comic book movies, but I wouldn't put it higher than Nolan's Trilogy or some of Marvel's best movies.

The critics average rating is around 5.0

That isnt far off 65.

Pretty far off. Wholly unfair, tbh.

Having slept on it, my opinion remains unchanged. This is a movie that needs to be longer, to give its scenes time to breath, to lay things out a little more clearly for the viewers. But other than that? Astonishingly great stuff. The script is phenomenal, the action is intense, the performances are good at worst.

I'd also like to point out that a ton of people I've seen are missing hugely obvious parts of the plot and themes. I think you've got to chalk that up to the connective tissue problem, people tune out during the first half and aren't paying attention during important scenes, which leads to them being robbed of their weight.

There's so many good parts marred with some bad editing/pacing. I liked a lot of the concepts and the themes, and the way they all tied together by the end of the movie.

I already gave my personal score, but I think 65-75% would have been more in line with my expectations after having seen the film.

I liked it better than most modern comic book movies, but I wouldn't put it higher than Nolan's Trilogy or some of Marvel's best movies.

Did you like it better than Man of Steel ?

Did you like it better than Man of Steel ?

Yes, absolutely. I felt like there was no showstoppers like the tornado scene or clark & lois making out like there were in MoS. The dialogue is also infinitely better, and the themes are better expressed. There are also a lot more memorable scenes in BvS. Just about all of Luthor & Batman's stuff is memorable, and there's some very powerful Superman scenes.

I might give a slight edge to smallville being the best fight though. Doomsday was really good but man I wish it had gone on just a little longer.

also this doesn't really get mentioned often, but the film is beautiful as hell. Larry Fong's work is amazing. If Snyder goes to a strict producer role I hope he at least brings Larry Fong and his own experience to the movies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Pretty far off. Wholly unfair, tbh.

Having slept on it, my opinion remains unchanged. This is a movie that needs to be longer, to give its scenes time to breath, to lay things out a little more clearly for the viewers. But other than that? Astonishingly great stuff. The script is phenomenal, the action is intense, the performances are good at worst.

I'd also like to point out that a ton of people I've seen are missing hugely obvious parts of the plot and themes. I think you've got to chalk that up to the connective tissue problem, people tune out during the first half and aren't paying attention during important scenes, which leads to them being robbed of their weight.

Same here. The director's cut is what I'm betting on. Movie needed a lot more time to breath!

Yes, absolutely. I felt like there was no showstoppers like the tornado scene or clark & lois making out like there were in MoS. The dialogue is also infinitely better, and the themes are better expressed. There are also a lot more memorable scenes in BvS. Just about all of Luthor & Batman's stuff is memorable, and there's some very powerful Superman scenes.

I might give a slight edge to smallville being the best fight though. Doomsday was really good but man I wish it had gone on just a little longer.

also this doesn't really get mentioned often, but the film is beautiful as hell. Larry Fong's work is amazing. If Snyder goes to a strict producer role I hope he atleast brings Larry Fong and his's experience to the movies.

Interesting. I actually agree with you even though I think Man of Steel is the better film. I agree that there wasn't any scene in BvS that was anything like the tornado scene, which was just strange and not justified. But for me, Man of Steel had a couple of lows and a lot of highs. BvS was mostly "fine" for the most part and most of the scenes work in isolation. But as a movie, it doesn't ever really gel together for me.

The film IS beautiful, but a little too dark for my taste, I wish the last fight had happened in daytime. I couldn't really tell what was going on, but the 3D probably played a factor in my experience. The Smallville fight was definitely better.

How packed were your theaters? I was surprised to see that my theater wasn't packed. Makes me think this might not do as well as DC may want.

How packed were your theaters? I was surprised to see that my theater wasn't packed. Makes me think this might not do as well as DC may want.

Not very. About 2/3 full, I'd guess? Maybe less, the front rows were pretty empty. The next showing looked to be a lot more packed, though.

About half-full for me and it was opening day in my country. A lot of high-schoolers in the audience who were laughing a lot during the last 15 minutes...

About half-full for me and it was opening day in my country. A lot of high-schoolers in the audience who were laughing a lot during the last 15 minutes...

3/4ths, was for 2d regular. I assumed most people went to 3d imax or fans had already saw the earlier weekday screenings.

Not very. About 2/3 full, I'd guess? Maybe less, the front rows were pretty empty. The next showing looked to be a lot more packed, though.
Is it safe to say that this is a sign it might not do as well as DC wants? Opening weekend is usually the biggest showings for movies. I can't imagine that this will have good word of mouth either aside from DC diehards.

Boke1879

I don't put too much stock in that. Mine was 2/3 full for the 6pm showing yesterday.

When TFA came out the first two days my theater showing wasn't even packed. About 75% for day one and like 60% for day 2. Of course this movie won't do those numbers but still

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom