• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to say that this is a sign it might not do as well as DC wants? Opening weekend is usually the biggest showings for movies. I can't imagine that this will have good word of mouth either aside from DC diehards.

Naw, this is just anecdotal. Tracking was still very very good, last time I checked.

Is it safe to say that this is a sign it might not do as well as DC wants? Opening weekend is usually the biggest showings for movies. I can't imagine that this will have good word of mouth either aside from DC diehards.

no idea, I have no comparison to draw it with because I don't go to premieres often, I'd be a lot less optimistic for the movies if there were no crowd reactions, but there were plenty of laughs and they applauded at the end.

Reviews will definitely hurt it's box office take though.

SArcher

Banned
That's really fast. Is Warner already in damage control mode ?

Is it though? It's 3 and a half months after theatrical release. TFA is also coming out on home video after 3.5 months, for instance. The wait times between theatrical and DVD releases have been getting shorter and shorter.

Is it though? It's 3 and a half months after theatrical release. TFA is also coming out on home video after 3.5 months, for instance. The wait times between theatrical and DVD releases have been getting shorter and shorter.

Oh, for some reason, in my mind it's been at least 6 months since I've seen Force Awakens. Never mind my post then.

ryan299

27.7 million Thursday night

Batman v Superman, directed by Zack Snyder, earned the seventh best preview opening in history, besting Avengers: Age Of Ultron's $27.6 million (Star Wars: The Force Awakens set a new record for previews in December when it took in $57 million). BvS now also holds the highest Thursday preshow score for Easter Weekend, besting Furious 7's $15.8 million.

Man of Steel, which opened in June 2013, earned $9 million Thursday night (plus $12 million from special screenings co-hosted by Walmart and Warners), and went on to earn $116.6 million in its domestic debut.

Batman v Superman is also opening around the globe Friday, including in China. It already earned $7 million Thursday after opening in Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and most parts of Russia.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-batman-v-superman-877979?utm_source=twitter

Simo

Shit...
CeZnsecUMAAY6AO.jpg

CeZnsepUIAAIBR9.jpg

...they're totally going to make me buy two copies, 1 for each statue aren't they? lol

Simo

Batman v Superman, directed by Zack Snyder, earned the seventh best preview opening in history, besting Avengers: Age Of Ultron's $27.6 million (Star Wars: The Force Awakens set a new record for previews in December when it earned $57 million). BvS now also holds the highest Thursday preshow score for Easter Weekend, besting Furious 7's $15.8 million.

Nice!

In line to get a ticket, first showing today, and it's the first time I've had to wait on a line this early for any movie I've seen at this theater (and that includes Star Wars and Deadpool).

Way more people than usually too. Usually the first showings has like no one or at more five or six others. Today, young, old, kids, teens, parents, seniors.

JdFoX187

Banned
"But, the first weekend doesn't matter! It's all about the second weekend! It's going to drop 70 percent!" Gah! Seeing it tonight, finally, after having to drop out of my pre-release screening and last night's early screening. Word of mouth seems mixed from my personal friends, but definitely more positive than Man of Steel. So I'm not expecting the massive drops next weekend that everyone else is predicting.

bryanee

Just got back. I love Man of Steel and I loved this even more.

My only real complaints are the ones people already mentioned like the odd cuts in the first hour, it could of done with a smaller set piece during that as well to break things up a touch.

Other than that I think its great and the setup for JL was gooooooooood.

Also for a 12:30pm showing it was rammed, only for front rows were empty except a a few seats.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It'll do around 170 this weekend and from there even Man of Steel's legs will give it ~386M. Of course some people are going to pretend this will drop 80% next weekend.

Boke1879

Today and tomorrow will be big indicators. No doubt reviews and a divided reception will hurt ticket sales. Like many have said going to the movies is an event. It cost money.that said today is good Friday in the US. Don't kids have the day off? I don't know anymore. But in wondering there will be a steady of people going earlier. Things won't really pick up until later tonight and then tomorrow of course is a full day so we'll see.

That said I really want that ultimate cut collectors edition and I will have it.

witness

It'll do around 170 this weekend and from there even Man of Steel's legs will give it ~386M. Of course some people are going to pretend this will drop 80% next weekend.

With the lack of much competition for weeks, unlike MoS which got slammed by Monsters U and WWZ the very next week, I would say that 400m+ should happen. IM3 should be the target for OW and domestic total. Should be able to do it. Who knows, could do some TDKR like final numbers depending on WOM with the GA.

I think a ton of people are overplaying Jena's role in the EE. I doubt we'll get anything like the killiing joke, or a joker appearance.
Not like my Black Adam cameo they had to remove from the knightmare sequence.

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member

Perhaps JL will change your mind :)

Anyway I went again today and was wondering
what the flash's warning was all about? Is it about Superman? But that wouldn't make sense as Bruce never thinks about saving Lois & drops his agenda against Supes anyway, so that would never result in that future happening right? Is it about Injustice as in warning him to keep a leash on Joker?

Or was it about Darkseid?

I would like to see the Jeremy Irons version of that scene. He would probably just slap Bruce.

lol

SJRB

Gold Member
Perhaps JL will change your mind :)

Anyway I went again today and was wondering
what the flash's warning was all about? Is it about Superman? But that wouldn't make sense as Bruce never thinks about saving Lois & drops his agenda against Supes anyway, so that would never result in that future happening right? Is it about Injustice as in warning him to keep a leash on Joker?

Or was it about Darkseid?

lol

Pretty sure he says
"you were right about him", which implies Superman but is in fact Lex Luthor. At least, that was my interpretation of that terrible scene.

"Am I too soon? I am too soon aren't I?"

I was so confused. Was that supposed to be like a funny tongue-in-cheek part? It was so bizarre after that ultra-serious Nightmare sequence.

Ahasverus

The Flash scene is chronologically misplaced. It's probably talking about something we still don't know about ("Am I too soon? Yes, I am too soon"). In short, it's a misdirection.
I wonder if they will make any changes to anymore since it has already been submitted for rating to the MPAA.
If they were interested in redeeming this movie, they should put Affleck on it, like right now.

Tabby

Is anyone else worried that this isn't going to gross 1b?

After watching the movie, seeing the reviews, word of mouth and how the whole internet is bandwagoning on hating this movie I'm actually starting to get worried; is this just me?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

After watching the movie, seeing the reviews, word of mouth and how the whole internet is bandwagoning on hating this movie I'm actually starting to get worried; is this just me?

Kinda wondering that too now, less than 1 billion and WB will change things.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

In the end I want it to because that means we continue to get the DCCU without a reboot but if it hits 950 I'll sleep fine at night.

Yeah, I am. I was directly after the reviews hit. I think this movie has to make a billion.

PBY

Banned
The Flash scene is chronologically misplaced. It's probably talking about something we still don't know about ("Am I too soon? Yes, I am too soon"). In short, it's a misdirection.

If they were interested in redeeming this movie, they should put Affleck on it, like right now.

My problem with
the flash scene, is that the movie is already in a bit of a tailspin. There's no momentum, not really a plot moving forward at that point. Its super scattered and wandering and full of quick scenes that jump all over the place. So I actually kind of liked the Knightmare? scene? I think I'm in the minority there, the story was already all over the place so I just rolled with it and enjoyed the visuals. That said, throwing the fucking Flash who looked AWFUL on the backend of an extended vision scene was too much

duckroll

Finished rewatching Man of Steel. Ready for maximum damage tomorrow.

It's pretty interesting seeing Man of Steel again with totally different expectations. I still totally want a movie that actually embodies the third trailer instead, but knowing that it doesn't exist, what the movie actually is works better than I thought. There are still some serious flaws in the plotting though, and it's a sign of how lazy Goyer's screenplay was. I don't think it's really worth my time to go into detail about the same stuff I already said before, so I'll address some changes in my opinion since the original viewing instead.

The editing and pacing isn't as poor knowing what to expect. This should weird, but this feels like a movie where not knowing what is actually is hurts it. Having the right expectations removes a lot of the initial dissonance and hang ups I had with the way the flashbacks were structured. That's not to say they were totally the right choices to make, but as a fan of most of the themes in the film, I think this falls under "I'll take what I can get".

But being able to enjoy the film for what it is also emphasizes the more serious flaws in the film. I still don't like Pa Kent's "maybe" response to Clark asking if he should have just let everyone die. A better way to frame that scene would have been "I don't know". But actually, that scene itself isn't the main problem, it is that this scene thematically leads to Clark deciding to hold back when Pa Kent does his famous "no" scene. That's straight up garbage, and is the first in a series of really bad decisions in the movie. The entire way the scene was done is nonsensical, unconvincing, and hurts the film. If they wanted to achieve the same outcome, it would have been much better to just have him die after getting stuck in the car so Clark never had a chance to save him.

Then there's Lois being brought with Superman on Zod's ship. That's nonsense too. It was clearly written backwards because they needed her to be free to upload the command key and to escape with the knowledge of how to stop Zod's plan. There is no other reason for her to be taken with him. Zod doesn't even do anything meaningful with her, and she isn't acknowledged at all. In terms of bad plotting, this bugs me more than anything else in the film. The last point is of course Superman killing Zod. It's a stupid scene. Not because Superman kills, but because the situation was manipulated in such a lame way. Even the way it was shot was lame. I've said this many times before, so I'll just leave it as that. Rewatching it didn't change a thing.

But even in all this bad plotting, there's a ton of good in the movie. I love the tone, simply because it's such a unique and bold way to reboot Superman. Is it a bit too edgy? Yeah. It is trying too hard at times? Definitely. But I would say for most of the film it works. It feels almost real. A -super- man among us. A god looking for direction. And the action? It's brilliant. The way the Kryptonians zero-teleport around in the fights when they face humans. The sonic booms when things are punched. The effortless leaps and tossing of huge objects. Anime action in live action. Beautiful.

One thing I feel pretty strongly about after watching it again though, is that the final fight with Zod wasn't really needed at all. It was cool as shit, but if he was tossed into the Phantom Zone with everyone else, and there was no final fight, no Superman killing, no contrived shit at the end, I think the movie would have achieved all the same things it wanted at the end and been better for it. Even the dialogue between Zod and Superman in the final fight hurt the messaging of the film. Early on in the fight Zod says "there's only one way this can end, either I kill you, or you kill me". That's what crazy villains say and heroes are supposed to prove them wrong by coming up with another solution outside of their binary psycho choices. What sort of message is the film sending by making the villain right? That's dumb!

The epilogue though, was perfect. Probably the best transitions from Superman the enigma to Clark Kent the secret identity. I even dig the cheesy inside joke at the end when Lois goes "Welcome to the Planet". It just worked so well.

I think I'm going to go into BvS with zero expectations of anything from the trailers. Not sure if that's going to help. Just hoping I don't go deaf from the Atmos track. Lol.

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member
Pretty sure he says
"you were right about him", which implies Superman but is in fact Lex Luthor. At least, that was my interpretation of that terrible scene.

"Am I too soon? I am too soon aren't I?"

I was so confused. Was that supposed to be like a funny tongue-in-cheek part? It was so bizarre after that ultra-serious Nightmare sequence.

Yeah I dunno who he was talking about when he said "You were right about him"

I still don't know why Bruce got a vision of the future and how did Flash even invaded his dream? Never saw Flash do that before.

PBY

Banned
Finished rewatching Man of Steel. Ready for maximum damage tomorrow.

It's pretty interesting seeing Man of Steel again with totally different expectations. I still totally want a movie that actually embodies the third trailer instead, but knowing that it doesn't exist, what the movie actually is works better than I thought. There are still some serious flaws in the plotting though, and it's a sign of how lazy Goyer's screenplay was. I don't think it's really worth my time to go into detail about the same stuff I already said before, so I'll address some changes in my opinion since the original viewing instead.

The editing and pacing isn't as poor knowing what to expect. This should weird, but this feels like a movie where not knowing what is actually is hurts it. Having the right expectations removes a lot of the initial dissonance and hang ups I had with the way the flashbacks were structured. That's not to say they were totally the right choices to make, but as a fan of most of the themes in the film, I think this falls under "I'll take what I can get".

But being able to enjoy the film for what it is also emphasizes the more serious flaws in the film. I still don't like Pa Kent's "maybe" response to Clark asking if he should have just let everyone die. A better way to frame that scene would have been "I don't know". But actually, that scene itself isn't the main problem, it is that this scene thematically leads to Clark deciding to hold back when Pa Kent does his famous "no" scene. That's straight up garbage, and is the first in a series of really bad decisions in the movie. The entire way the scene was done is nonsensical, unconvincing, and hurts the film. If they wanted to achieve the same outcome, it would have been much better to just have him die after getting stuck in the car so Clark never had a chance to save him.

Then there's Lois being brought with Superman on Zod's ship. That's nonsense too. It was clearly written backwards because they needed her to be free to upload the command key and to escape with the knowledge of how to stop Zod's plan. There is no other reason for her to be taken with him. Zod doesn't even do anything meaningful with her, and she isn't acknowledged at all. In terms of bad plotting, this bugs me more than anything else in the film. The last point is of course Superman killing Zod. It's a stupid scene. Not because Superman kills, but because the situation was manipulated in such a lame way. Even the way it was shot was lame. I've said this many times before, so I'll just leave it as that. Rewatching it didn't change a thing.

But even in all this bad plotting, there's a ton of good in the movie. I love the tone, simply because it's such a unique and bold way to reboot Superman. Is it a bit too edgy? Yeah. It is trying too hard at times? Definitely. But I would say for most of the film it works. It feels almost real. A -super- man among us. A god looking for direction. And the action? It's brilliant. The way the Kryptonians zero-teleport around in the fights when they face humans. The sonic booms when things are punched. The effortless leaps and tossing of huge objects. Anime action in live action. Beautiful.

One thing I feel pretty strongly about after watching it again though, is that the final fight with Zod wasn't really needed at all. It was cool as shit, but if he was tossed into the Phantom Zone with everyone else, and there was no final fight, no Superman killing, no contrived shit at the end, I think the movie would have achieved all the same things it wanted at the end and been better for it. Even the dialogue between Zod and Superman in the final fight hurt the messaging of the film. Early on in the fight Zod says "there's only one way this can end, either I kill you, or you kill me". That's what crazy villains say and heroes are supposed to prove them wrong by coming up with another solution outside of their binary psycho choices. What sort of message is the film sending by making the villain right? That's dumb!

The epilogue though, was perfect. Probably the best transitions from Superman the enigma to Clark Kent the secret identity. I even dig the cheesy inside joke at the end when Lois goes "Welcome to the Planet". It just worked so well.

I think I'm going to go into BvS with zero expectations of anything from the trailers. Not sure if that's going to help. Just hoping I don't go deaf from the Atmos track. Lol.

Really curious to hear your BVS impressions.

Tabby

In the end I want it to because that means we continue to get the DCCU without a reboot but if it hits 950 I'll sleep fine at night.

I wouldn't even mind a reboot honestly. Get Zack Snyder off, delay everything bar Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad for a year.

Ninjimbo

I wouldn't even mind a reboot honestly. Get Zack Snyder off, delay everything bar Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad for a year.
I haven't watched BvS yet, but I don't want any more delays. Everything I've seen just makes me want more and more delays is just going to drive me insane. I already have to wait five years for a new Zelda. I'm sick of waiting!

PBY

Banned
Won't happen. Just hope the next movies are better.

After being so down on the previews, and actually not hating this (C-ishhhh), I wish Zach would actually go. He failed to deliver good action here, which is going to suck for JL. The other stuff I enjoyed was more bat-centric and just some of the weirdness.

After being so down on the previews, and actually not hating this (C-ishhhh), I wish Zach would actually go. He failed to deliver good action here, which is going to suck for JL. The other stuff I enjoyed was more bat-centric and just some of the weirdness.

As long as Zack goes I'll be happy.

JL1 is definitely Zack's last DC movie. I am still having trouble to find an ideal director for this. I want Miller, but he won't do it probably.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't care whether Zack stays or goes but I don't want a reboot. I like what's set up here. That being said, I don't really doubt this movie's ability to be financially successfully. Box office is not a measure of quality.

With the lack of much competition for weeks, unlike MoS which got slammed by Monsters U and WWZ the very next week, I would say that 400m+ should happen. IM3 should be the target for OW and domestic total. Should be able to do it. Who knows, could do some TDKR like final numbers depending on WOM with the GA.

That's what I think as well. WOM seems about the same as MoS but there's way less competition.

I disagree. The action delivers. Batman scenes in the batmobile are freaking epic, there's plenty of good action, WW at the end, Supes vs Spike hulk, I dunno why you claim that.

PBY

Banned
I disagree. The action delivers. Batman scenes in the batmobile are freaking epic, there's plenty of good action, WW at the end, Supes vs Spike hulk, I dunno why you claim that.

I thought the batmobile was fine, the scene with Batman vs thugs was magnificent, the BVS fight was fine, but that last fight was brutal. As in flat out terrible.

PBY

Banned
What makes it so terrible?

It just was a CGI-ey mess? There was no sense of staging, it all felt super abstracted. The monster design is terrible. Its a bunch of quick cuts and CGI destruction effects. Reminded me a lot, actually, of the end Spiderman 3 fight.

That said, Zach can stay on for just the fight scenes in a new Batman film. His stuff was A1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom