• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just was a CGI-ey mess? There was no sense of staging, it all felt super abstracted. The monster design is terrible. Its a bunch of quick cuts and CGI destruction effects. Reminded me a lot, actually, of the end Spiderman 3 fight.

That said, Zach can stay on for just the fight scenes in a new Batman film. His stuff was A1.

I understand your point, I can see the reasons why you feel that way. It was not my experience as I was more drawn in on the most conceptual aspects of the conflict, as the sacrifice that heroism requires, I thought the staging was the one needed to accomplish that.

Raptor

Nice MoS mini review Duckroll, curious to read what you think of this one.

Really glad some of you loved it though.

The Icon, you seem a little dissapointed :(

Honestly the biggest problem with the movie is that it felt so bloated. I think this is why the editing and pacing is so off, there's just so much to tell. Personally I had a really fun time, despite all this. And there are some absolutely great moments for fans. I just hope that the executives will learn from all this and slow down the tempo of the universe and focus on the individual story instead of trying to catch up with Marvel.

I thought the batmobile was fine, the scene with Batman vs thugs was magnificent, the BVS fight was fine, but that last fight was brutal. As in flat out terrible.

I kind of loved it. It was sort of a disaster movie climax. Wondy vs. Doomsday, Bruce running like hell. If you think about it as them battling some force of nature rather than a regular fight, it's great.

Dead

well not really...yet
I give it a 6-6.5/10.

I'm usually not one to call out reviews or anything, but the personal attacks on Snyder and claims that he "hates heroism" that he hates Superman and/or Batman...are completely fucking absurd. I think this movie nailed the concept of Superman that Man of Steel was going for and I'll leave it at that.

The Justice League tie in stuff and the Knightmare scene are worthless and add nothing.

The movie just needed to be more focused on the BvS part and forget about the Dawn of Justice of part.

There is definitely room for improvement for the editing, pacing and characterization with the Director's Cut though so I am looking forward to it.

I honestly have no opinion on what they should do with Snyder. I can't say I really have a preference for someone to replace him on Justice League. I feel they should just go ahead and have him and terrio complete their Justice League movie, and then find another direction for "phase 2"

Penguin

Zack needs to go... not for his directorial skill or lack therefore of depending on people, but just because he, in himself, is such a polarizing figure.

And this isn't like Bay and Transformers where there's only his films to worry about, but Skwad and WW and all of that need a strong foundation to spin out of.

I think, personally, everything set at the end of BvS is good enough for a sequel that could lighten up the characters and give a more traditional comic book story/movie.

Zack needs to go... not for his directorial skill or lack therefore of depending on people, but just because he, in himself, is such a polarizing figure.

And this isn't like Bay and Transformers where there's only his films to worry about, but Skwad and WW and all of that need a strong foundation to spin out of.

I think, personally, everything set at the end of BvS is good enough for a sequel that could lighten up the characters and give a more traditional comic book story/movie.

Yeah, people don't really have a reason to hate Superman anymore.

duckroll

a sequel that could lighten up the characters and give a more traditional comic book story/movie.

But... the real question is, do you really want that? In the end what would that be? Just another attempt by Warner to copy Marvel's tone? We already have 20 movies like that. Why do we need one more?

WhiteWolf

I didn't mind the tone BvS at all, just needed to trim the fat. I would've preferred the story to center around Batman, Superman, and Lex. I don't think we really needed Wonder Woman or Doomsday because I felt it fell into that standard CGI fight, comic book ending when the rest of the movie was trying to be something different.

IconGrist

Now that I've actually seen the movie I think a lot of people, even in this thread, are being a bit harsh. This is the Iron Man 2 for WB. It had to do the heavy lifting for world building. Yes, it brought the movie down in some ways (almost distractingly so) but it's only the second movie to try something like that and Marvel hasn't figured out how to do it either. Even with more solo films there still had to be the 'just bear with us' movie. Where BvS faltered was it was trying to tell a bigger story which it did but needed some breathing room.

It also being a movie involving 2 of the biggest icons in the world didn't do it any favors. Expectations were through the roof in ways IM2 just didn't have to worry about.

Once we are past it I think it'll be smooth sailing from here. If Justice League disappoints then and only then do I think Snyder needs to pushed aside for another director to step in. But for all of Snyder's faults I have no issue with him being a behind the scenes guy helping Johns shape the DCEU.

Bleepey

I heard that there was a 4 hour cut for this film? Do you think splitting this film into two could have worked? Or could the 3 hour cut redeem it?

Now that I've actually seen the movie I think a lot of people, even in this thread, are being a bit harsh. This is the Iron Man 2 for WB. It had to do the heavy lifting for world building. Yes, it brought the movie down in some ways (almost distractingly so) but it's only the second movie to try something like that and Marvel hasn't figured out how to do it either. Even with more solo films there still had to be the 'just bear with us' movie. Where BvS faltered was it was trying to tell a bigger story which it did but needed some breathing room.

It also being a movie involving 2 of the biggest icons in the world didn't do it any favors. Expectations were through the roof in ways IM2 just didn't have to worry about.

Once we are past it I think it'll be smooth sailing from here. If Justice League disappoints then and only then do I think Snyder needs to pushed aside for another director to step in. But for all of Snyder's faults I have no issue with him being a behind the scenes guy helping Johns shape the DCEU.

I don't get this. Why was it actually necessary ? I don't think any non comic-book fan is really going to understand any of the build-up in BvS. If they just had focused on making a solid Batman and Superman movie, that would have been enough for people to be excited for Justice League.

I heard that there was a 4 hour cut for this film? Do you think splitting this film into two could have worked? Or could the 3 hour cut redeem it?

I haven't heard anything about a 4 hour cut. 3 hour cut will hopefully do the job, if those extra 30 minutes are distributed properly.

The complaints about JL setup are really overblown, honestly. It's a 2 and a half hour movie, the setup takes up maybe 5 minutes of it.

duckroll

Part 1 came out last year. You must have missed it.

UOA9ytJ.jpg

Snaku

Banned

I don't have a problem at all with the job he's done with MoS/BvS, but you're right. Getting George Miller or Affleck to direct JL would at least give those films a fair chance.

vegeta101

Banned
Just got back and absolutely loved it, I genuinely would put it in my top 5 super hero movies.
My mum said she thought it was really great, and she actually found man of steel boring. She loved Wonder Woman.

I have no idea why the reviews are going so hard on the film, it's absolutely not as bad as they are making it out to be.

IconGrist

I don't get this. Why was it actually necessary ? I don't think any non comic-book fan is really going to understand any of the build-up in BvS. If they just had focused on making a solid Batman and Superman movie, that would have been enough for people to be excited for Justice League.

Yea, I believe it is necessary because it's a lot to setup unless you do way more movies to plant those seeds. Like add at least 3 to the slate prior to JL.

And I agree with you and I mentioned this in my review. The removal of the world building for JL would have significantly improved the movie. That's not even up for debate. Remove that and the WW subplot and the movie would have rocketed to a 9 for me. That stuff wasn't bad by any means but it hurt the story they were trying to tell. Yes, that includes the Knightmare scene which I thought was excellent.

There's definitely a potential good movie out there that's split in two parts, but you'd have to add a TON of stuff. It'd be a totally different film/duology.

They probably shot so much shit that they could give it a whirl of it. Go an hour 45 on the runtime for both.

Man, that just makes me mad now because there's good shit it in that gets totally hosed

Simo

Preordered the Collector's Edition blu. $130 but it comes with the Ultimate Edition blu and the Theatrical edition blu so it's cool to have both cuts of the film.

They probably shot so much shit that they could give it a whirl of it. Go an hour 45 on the runtime for both.

Man, that just makes me mad now because there's good shit it in that gets totally hosed

Nah, you'd have to totally alter the structure. Have Lex be the instigator for the first one, and the fight, then they come together at the end to rescue Martha and lock up Lex. Then you build an entire movie out of the genesis chamber, Doomsday, etc.

Preordered the Collector's Edition blu. $130 but it comes with the Ultimate Edition blu and the Theatrical edition blu so it's cool to have both cuts of the film.

What the fuck
Simo, no

Nah, you'd have to totally alter the structure. Have Lex be the instigator for the first one, and the fight, then they come together at the end to rescue Martha and lock up Lex. Then you build an entire movie out of the genesis chamber, Doomsday, etc.

I'd rather take a Hunger Games situation with a lean ass first movie over this shit

Dead

well not really...yet
There's no way there's an hour 45 of extra actual contet.

Im sure the longest this movie was in assembly was maybe 3 hours and a half.

Snyder whittled it down to 3 hours for his "director's cut" and then hacked away to get it to 150.

Regardless, 30 minutes is A LOT and can potentially do a lot to help the pacing, editing, characterization and story progression of the movie. I have no doubt the DC will be a stronger movie, even with the garbage ass JL teases.

I am going to see it again. This time in 2D and in german with my 10 year old cousin. I really can't tell if he'll like this movie.

Let us know! I'm really curious to see how younger reviewers receive the movie. When my younger brother and sister (10/12 at the time) saw Man of Steel they thought it was boring. Now I loved the movie but part of me hated that it wasn't engaging to kids. When I heard people say that this movie wasn't for kids... well... I was expecting something more I guess? Not to say you should bring your 3 year old to the movie but I don't think there was anything really horrifying for pre-teens. Maybe I'm just so desensitized to Batman kicking some major butt but I honestly didn't have a problem with 99% of his actions. But yeah, if anything I feel like this movie might be more accessible to younger audiences than Man of Steel was.

ReiGun

People saying they should go scorched Earth on the DCEU make no sense. Every problem people have with MoS and BvS are related to Synder's weaknesses as a director, not the story elements or concepts at play. There's nothing saying Patty Jenkins or James Wan can't make good films in this universe.

Let us know! I'm really curious to see how younger reviewers receive the movie. When my younger brother and sister (10/12 at the time) saw Man of Steel they thought it was boring. Now I loved the movie but part of me hated that it wasn't engaging to kids. When I heard people say that this movie wasn't for kids... well... I was expecting something more I guess? Not to say you should bring your 3 year old to the movie but I don't think there was anything really horrifying for pre-teens. Maybe I'm just so desensitized to Batman kicking some major butt but I honestly didn't have a problem with 99% of his actions. But yeah, if anything I feel like this movie might be more accessible to younger audiences than Man of Steel was.

What ? No way. There are even less jokes, the movie is infinitely bleaker, Batman
murders
dozens of people and the first 90 minutes of the film are slow as hell... I can't imagine a kid having a good time during BvS.

PBY

Banned
People saying they should go scorched Earth on the DCEU make no sense. Every problem people have with MoS and BvS are related to Synder's weaknesses as a director, not the story elements or concepts at play. There's nothing saying Patty Jenkins or James Wan can't make good films in this universe.

Agreed. I like the world and I love the costumes (except
Flash wtf was that
). The direction is a huge issue.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Just throw money at Nolan, as much as needed. The hero we deserve and need.

chris-nolan.jpg

IconGrist

Yea, I'm seeing it again 3 hours. A bit more excited for this showing actually. I think I spent so much time last night thinking about what I thought about it instead of just sitting back and watching it.

There's no way splitting this movie in two would've worked - especially considering a criticism I've heard about this movie is how it picks up in the second half.

The only thing that would've worked for me is cutting doomsday, knightmare scene, wonder woman (although she was great).

Make it even more focused on Bruce, like show more of his past and what he has been doing all these years, longer training montage, longer fight.

I don't know if the general audience even realized that this is an older Batman who already retired. This is all info we had from interviews and such, but most of the people don't watch those.

Agreed. I like the world and I love the costumes (except
Flash wtf was that
). The direction is a huge issue.

It's his time travel suit, it gives him the power to communicate through time. He has a normal suit, we already saw that

There's no way there's an hour 45 of extra actual contet.

Im sure the longest this movie was in assembly was maybe 3 hours and a half.

Snyder whittled it down to 3 hours for his "director's cut" and then hacked away to get it to 150.

Regardless, 30 minutes is A LOT and can potentially do a lot to help the pacing, editing, characterization and story progression of the movie. I have no doubt the DC will be a stronger movie, even with the garbage ass JL teases.

I think they've got like 6 hours worth of footage, iirc. A lot of that is probably redundant or just plain bad, but I could see them having an extra hour 45 of footage.

The big thing they've got to do is make existing scenes longer, more naturally flowing.

If someone said something about a 4 hour version of the film, that was probably an assembly cut which are ridiculously long because they're just an assembling of every shot before they've been significantly edited down for pacing and creative reasons. There likely wasn't much actual content beyond what will be in the 3 hour cut.

PBY

Banned
I think they've got like 6 hours worth of footage, iirc. A lot of that is probably redundant or just plain bad, but I could see them having an extra hour 45 of footage.

The big thing they've got to do is make existing scenes longer, more naturally flowing.

The problem is the movie already drags. I hope the DC rips out a ton of stuff, and then just adds to a select group of scenes. Prob not gonna happen, but its what this movie needs.

But... the real question is, do you really want that? In the end what would that be? Just another attempt by Warner to copy Marvel's tone? We already have 20 movies like that. Why do we need one more?

No, not really. I like that the film explores Superman's role in the world. I imagine they'll steer away from ambitions like that, I'm surprised BvS continued it, it seems a ballsy move instead of just rolling over and making a joking superman with no explanation at all. Atleast the tonal shift will feel organic after this movie. It's hard to talk about without spoilers.

Anyway I'm sure the DCEU in it's current incarnation will be perfectly fine, it's more interesting to see what DC does next.

Really interested in hearing Kevin Smith's opinion on the movie.

The problem is the movie already drags. I hope the DC rips out a ton of stuff, and then just adds to a select group of scenes. Prob not gonna happen, but its what this movie needs.

Disagree entirely. Like 90% of the stuff we've got is brilliant, it's the stuff we don't have that's hurting the movie. Scenes begin and end abruptly, conversations are choppy. Fix those problems, you have a much better film.

PBY

Banned
Disagree entirely. Like 90% of the stuff we've got is brilliant, it's the stuff we don't have that's hurting the movie. Scenes begin and end abruptly, conversations are choppy. Fix those problems, you have a much better film.

STRONG disagree on 90% brilliant. To me, it was 10% brilliant 50% unsalvageable trash, and the rest is fixable. We disagree on this, but I do agree that this film can definitely get better with some recutting.

I know the above sounds harsh, but I really hated the final conflict and fight. The first half can be fixed.

About to go see the movie with my sisters.

Hopefully it's entertaining. Also one sister is team Batman, the other team Superman lol

Not one cares for Wonder Women

PBY

Banned
About to go see the movie with my sisters.

Hopefully it's entertaining. Also one sister is team Batman, the other team Superman lol

Not one cares for Wonder Women

I will say one thing - it throws a ton of stuff at you. Not all (or most maybe) of it works, but there's something to keep you engaged. Probably why I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. You'll have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom