• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
STRONG disagree on 90% brilliant. To me, it was 10% brilliant 50% unsalvageable trash, and the rest is fixable. We disagree on this, but I do agree that this film can definitely get better with some recutting.

I know the above sounds harsh, but I really hated the final conflict and fight. The first half can be fixed.

Funny, I think that the only part that HAS to be fixed is the first half. The second is hugely more cohesive and altogether better.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Standing in line for snacks. I can confidently say I've never anticipated a movie more than this! Here we go! Impressions to follow in 3ish hours.

I think, personally, everything set at the end of BvS is good enough for a sequel that could lighten up the characters and give a more traditional comic book story/movie.

More traditional as in the Marvel way? I don't want that for multiple reasons. DC wont out Marvel Marvel. They need to stick to their own voice as long as it works financially.

Penguin

But... the real question is, do you really want that? In the end what would that be? Just another attempt by Warner to copy Marvel's tone? We already have 20 movies like that. Why do we need one more?

Oh no, I don't want that at all.

Said before would love more Donner-style movies, but that aside

I do want the long-term viability for these properties. And I just feel like Zack's vision doesn't gel with a lot of folks... and with Warner's history... would usually mean less on their end... and more people just want more Batman.

a916

The opening was haunting... the music, the camera angles... oh god, So good and well done.

I'm starting to think I might love this movie. It's flawed but none of those flaws stick out to me. A few people complained about the
motivation between the two characters
but I thought it was done pretty well and naturally that didn't break the ground rules they set up in this universe.

Also loved the slight nod to the MOS haters,
it's after work hours, it's abandoned... oh this island is abandoned... oh this warehouse is abandoned... people needed to get hit over the head because omg supes kills everyone from MOS people.

IconGrist

I hate living where I live. No one reacts to anything.

Nothing in Avengers
Nothing in Jurassic World
Nothing in Fast 5, 6 or 7
Nothing in the Force Awakens
Nothing in Batman v Superman
Nothing in any trailers

I'm like the only idiot reacting to cool shit. I need to move back to Texas.

jackdoe

I'm sure WB still have the Wachowski's on speed dial if they decide to jettison Snyder

:lol
WB gave the Wachowskis three chances to make a big budget movie in spite of each being a critical AND commercial failure. Which is why I really don't think WB will straight up kick Snyder to the curb.

BTM

Nothing in Avengers
Nothing in any trailers

Pretty similar here. Only movie with notable reactions was during The Force Awakens.

Nothing in Avengers
Nothing in any trailers

LOL.

The audience reaction really made the movie for me. When Wonder Woman showed up in her outfit (as seen in the trailers) everyone starting cheering. The girl next to me was like "THAT"S WHY I CAME WOOO!"

There was plenty of laughs too... People who say the jokes don't land... I mean it's proof that comedy is relative. All the funny bits was received well by the audience. I won't talk about specifics obviously because this isn't a spoiler thread but I'll just say there was a a line near the end of the movie by Batman that got a huge laugh.

IconGrist

LOL.

The audience reaction really made the movie for me. When Wonder Woman showed up in her outfit (as seen in the trailers) everyone starting cheering. The girl next to me was like "THAT"S WHY I CAME WOOO!"

There was plenty of laughs too... People who say the jokes don't land... I mean it's proof that comedy is relative. All the funny bits was received well by the audience. I won't talk about specifics obviously because this isn't a spoiler thread but I'll just say there was a a line near the end of the movie by Batman that got a huge laugh.

None of that happens here. When Hulk smashed the shit out of Loki I might as well have been the only in the theater. And I saw that movie 5 times.

a916

What I'd cut -
-the whole wheelchair dude subplot
-doomsday
-all of the cameos
-most of lois' scenes
-superman x his dad

I disagree with all of it except the last one...

The cameos felt forced but it setup the conversation the two have at the end, so in that regard it felt a bit more natural... maybe they could've had that conversation and saved the cameos for the end?

The wheelchair subplot was all about Lex trying to paint Superman in a bad light to get Batman on his side, he was sending those paycheques and letters "from the wheel chair dude" but they were really from Lex

Draconian

Preordered the Collector's Edition blu. $130 but it comes with the Ultimate Edition blu and the Theatrical edition blu so it's cool to have both cuts of the film.

Wait, does the UE only come with the CE? Please tell me they didn't lock a superior version of the movie behind a statue.

IconGrist

Yea I would cut nothing related to Lex. That shit was amazing. His whole plan to instigate the fight and how he manipulated people in creepy ass ways was terrific.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
There were so many great moments for me:

-Batman straight up wrecking those fools in the warehouse and saving ma Kent
-Wonder Woman showing up, audience went nuts.
-Luthor and Supes on the landing pad.
-The opening with Bruce falling in the cave and Black Zero from his POV.

Can't wait to see it again on Sunday.

The best Lex moment was him trying to shove the Jolly Rancher inside the senator's mouth :lol

That was funny. It was sort of a precursor of the bit where he throws the pictures on the ground in front of Superman. He likes to control people, and he likes to make sure they know they're being controlled. The jar of maybe piss too.

Penguin

What I'd cut -
-the whole wheelchair dude subplot
-doomsday
-all of the cameos
-most of lois' scenes
-superman x his dad

I disagree a bit

I'd actually expand on that subplot more. Maybe get rid of the Africa incident at the beginning and have other folks affected by the end of MoS be the reason he is held responsible.

I wouldn't have cut that either.

I wouldn't have cut, but move the WW viewing scene to the post-credit

This goes along with cutting the Africa subplot. And I like it, but goes the LONG way around to setting up Superman.

I liked this scene.

What I would have cut
The Knightmare sequence.
WW at the hotel/airport... or maybe the hotel, but keep her on the plane and getting off

The flashback with his parents' grave. Actually if just for pacing. Would cut all the flashback. Have the film open on Bruce Wayne landing in Metropolis. Gets you into the movie just as quickly and still an action beat.

a916

I disagree a bit

I'd actually expand on that subplot more. Maybe get rid of the Africa incident at the beginning and have other folks affected by the end of MoS be the reason he is held responsible.

I wouldn't have cut that either.

I wouldn't have cut, but move the WW viewing scene to the post-credit

This goes along with cutting the Africa subplot. And I like it, but goes the LONG way around to setting up Superman.

I liked this scene.

What I would have cut
The Knightmare sequence.
WW at the hotel/airport... or maybe the hotel, but keep her on the plane and getting off

The flashback with his parents' grave. Actually if just for pacing. Would cut all the flashback. Have the film open on Bruce Wayne landing in Metropolis. Gets you into the movie just as quickly and still an action beat.

Nah, are you kidding haha?
That opening almost had me in tears... that somber music, I loved it so much, it took minutes and was buried in the opening credits. It took a few minutes and perfectly set up the nightmarish Batman we were going to get.

Dead

well not really...yet
Interview with Snyder about the "ultimate cut"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fsw42prfp8

- Deeper Dive
- Story lines fleshed out
- More Character beats
- Little bit more action (Warehouse, Doomsday)
- Extra beats from entire film, not one particular section
- Cuts made very recently
- He's unfortunately not James Cameron and can't just make a 3 hour movie for theater (lol)
- Theatrical cut is "workable" version
- Is a Director's Cut

bryanee

Did any one get the Lego Batman Movie trailer where he kicks Alfred into a piano? That trailer got a whole bunch of laughs.

Penguin

Nah, are you kidding haha?
That opening almost had me in tears... that somber music, I loved it so much, it took minutes and was buried in the opening credits. It took a few minutes and perfectly set up the nightmarish Batman we were going to get.

I can enjoy something and also realize how it would make something more streamlined to be removed

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
So, a lot of reviews on YT up now. And one thing I noticed (even Schnepp from Collider touched on it) is
calling Snyder out for having a killer Batman. Haha, I fucking knew that this would happen. Nolan and Burton did the exact same fucking thing, but Snyder is the one that gets called out for it. Fucking bullshit.

Ahasverus

That was not good at all. There's some good parts but the script is a mess. A convoluted mess.
It's convulted because it was botched. I'm sure the whole thing make sense, it looks like it's very intricate with big payoffs. Terrio is a major in English, he knows his stuff.

Tabby

All of this talk about what to cut just makes me want to see a fan edit even more. No doubt it'll be at least 10x better than what we got.

Interview with Snyder about the "ultimate cut"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fsw42prfp8

- Deeper Dive
- Story lines fleshed out
- More Character beats
- Little bit more action (Wearhouse, Doomsday)
- Extra beats from entire film, not one particular section
- Cuts made very recently
- He's unfortunately not James Cameron and can't just make a 3 hour movie for theater (lol)
- Theatrical cut is "workable" version
- Is a Director's Cut

Good. This is what I want to see.

Boke1879

So, a lot of reviews on YT up now. And one thing I noticed (even Schnepp from Collider touched on it) is
calling Snyder out for having a killer Batman. Haha, I fucking knew that this would happen. Nolan and Burton did the exact same fucking thing, but Snyder is the one that gets called out for it. Fucking bullshit.

Yea that didn't even bother me and it wasn't what people exxagerated it to be.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yea that didn't even bother me and it wasn't what people exxagerated it to be.

Chris Stuckmann even tweeted about it, quoting Batman's line in BB. Gtfo with that shit. Using the movie in which he does the exact same thing multiple times just shows you are jumping on the bandwagon or don't know wtf you are talking about. And with this movie I feel like it's very much the first thing.

Anth0ny

this topic is hard to talk about without spoilers, but it really didn't bother me at all. it didn't hurt the movie.

I think a lot of people are reading it and talking shit without even watching the movie.

a916

Unreleated, but that moment,
when the senate blows up and it's a slow mo of fire around Superman, jesus christ, that hit me in the gut. I was like, this dude is trying so painfully to be the good guy and this is how he's rewarded. Him in that fire with a single tear and I would've lost it.

Chris Stuckmann even tweeted about it, quoting Batman's line in BB. Gtfo with that shit. Using the movie in which he does the exact same thing multiple times just shows you are jumping on the bandwagon or don't know wtf you are talking about. And with this movie I feel like it's very much the first thing.

It would've been perfect if
Superman had "changed" Batman... almost like Joker broke him and Superman, shows him hope, and brings him back in line and he stops killing etc... that said I didn't have a problem, Joker clearly messed him up, Alfred alludes to this too

Ashhong

ahhhhhhhh 26 hours before I watch this!!

Dont think anybody has mentioned it, but did anyone else get to see it in 70mm IMAX? Was it awesome?

It would've been perfect if
Superman had "changed" Batman... almost like Joker broke him and Superman, shows him hope, and brings him back in line and he stops killing etc... that said I didn't have a problem, Joker clearly messed him up, Alfred alludes to this too

I haven't seen it but from all the plot synopsis I read, isn't this wat kind of happens? And who knows, maybe in JL they show this happening. Just like MoS to BVS, they take something that is heavily criticized and fix it

yeup. if you're going to do it. just do it like burton and snyder did. always hated the way nolan and co. pulled the "i don't kill" card and then had batman kill. that "i don't have to save you" shit was the lamest fucking thing about nolan's movies. way more a slap in the face to the comics than a killer batman (which he was kane/finger's original book anyway)

that reminds me! did anyone else think that the
grenade moment was a nod to batman returns?

Dead

well not really...yet
Bruce: "We're criminals Alfred, we always have been"

Either way, the whole thing is overblown as fuck to me. This Batman isn't
picking up a gun and shooting fools in the head, well as long as you dont count you know what.
, in the realm and context of a live action world, I'm fine with all of his actions.

a916

ahhhhhhhh 26 hours before I watch this!!

Dont think anybody has mentioned it, but did anyone else get to see it in 70mm IMAX? Was it awesome?

I haven't seen it but from all the plot synopsis I read, isn't this wat kind of happens? And who knows, maybe in JL they show this happening. Just like MoS to BVS, they take something that is heavily criticized and fix it

At the very end, he does say
"I will honor you in death" or something
so you're on to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom