• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verendus

Banned
batman begins was great, but there's a few aspects that really grind my gears. namely bruce planning to murder joe chill, and subsequently running away lost and without purpose. i don't care for that take on batman. i would have rather seen a driven man who knew he wanted to prevent future joe chill's in any way he could. then there's the way the movie toes the line between the "i don't kill at all. ever" batman, while having him clearly responsible for the deaths of several people. that was lame as fuck. either stick to the recent comics and have him never kill. or don't do it at all (ie. what batfleck was like). and then the really cheesy, generic hollywood third act really hurt the movie. don't get me wrong it's a great movie and a comic book movie classic. but to me, the dark knight edges it out due to tightness of the script and of course heath ledger's joker.

edit: i wanted to add in that nolan very clearly had no idea how to shoot decent action scenes in begins, the editing is so frantic too, you can't even tell what the hell is going on in 90% of the fight scenes. it's amazing that it took 25+ years to get a batman who could kick some major ass
That's... that's kind of exactly what happened.

He meets Falcone, and understands there is a bigger problem. That's the purpose of that scene. He doesn't run away lost. That's the deciding moment where he decides he needs to do something, and begins his journey to Batman.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
If that's what you call "conflict" no wonder the movie sucked.

You can still give the Reeves Superman conflict, he can actually act, and he would have pulled it off.

Yeah I would call him conflicted, and nope; movie was great.

Reeves Superman was conflicted?

Penguin

That's the thing your looking at Clark through his powers, and not at the man which is why Snyder failed to capture who Superman is.

I still enjoy BvS but my Superman bias just can't get past him being thrown under the bus. The movie spends so much time on what everyone else thinks of him without counterbalancing it with giving Clark himself much to do instead, focusing on more development for Bruce.

Even at the end we don't actual join him in the sun.
and the tones are more that people are guilty they didn't respect him in life, more so then any lasting inspiration and it's why killing superman is a mistake.

Er...

I guess should have been more clear being tongue-in-cheek

BadAss2961

People keep saying this, as I imgaine they are trying to make a point

But Caps kill count pretty large at this point, whereas Supes is still on one lol

Plus I dont think Cap is reaaaly going to be compared to Superman after Civil War
It's one of the dumbest things going around. He's brave and inspiring like a lot of other characters, but these guys confuse him with Superman because he's the only grounded one over there that also doesn't quip. Cap is an American fuck yeah war soldier with a tiny fraction of the power and responsibility of Superman. He also has no secret identity. He's closer to a cleaned up superhero version of Chris Kyle than he is to Superman.

I actually like Cap though. Easily the best character in the MCU.

Dcube

Count me in the camp that finds Reeve's Supes boring as hell. I like the more regular guy MoS version, though in BvS I did find his character a little too far in the other direction. Felt weak somehow, feels too sorry for himself, needs some more ass kicking confidence. Hopefully his character evolves a bit more in the next movie.

shingi70

Banned
Count me in the camp that finds Reeve's Supes boring as hell. I like the more regular guy MoS version, though in BvS I did find his character a little too far in the other direction. Felt weak somehow, feels too sorry for himself, needs some more ass kicking confidence. Hopefully his character evolves a bit more in the next movie.

That's my problem Man of Steel Clark Kent/Superman pretty well but two years later in Canon and in real life it seems those glimmers we see at the end of MoS are forgotten and by the end of BvS Clark goes through little no character development, with people saying once again wait for the next film for him to become the Superman we all know Cavill is capable of being.

Vyer

I'll never agree that Reeves Supes is boring or not 'regular guy' enough. There are faults with his portrayal for me (mainly the 'pulling powers out of my ass' stuff), but not that. I mean there's a certain point where you can't go too 'regular guy', but still.

Between showing young Clark's isolation and failing to fit in, to his mourning Jonathan Kent's death, to pleading for Tessmacher to help him when he was dying in Luthor's trap, understanding his limitations by getting his ass beat when losing his powers or hell even deciding to lose them so he can be 'human' (AKA take a few rolls with Lois) the best thing about Reeves Superman is how well he balances that flawed human side with the godlike powers.

You can tell Snyder has tried to touch on some of those aspects - like the fitting in, bullying, losing a parent, etc - but the balance is off somehow, or never quite hits the same notes IMO. Though he certainly has the powerset and pure force behind the godlike Superman down extremely well.

Rooster12

I find Reeves more "regular" and much more "likable" than Cavill, who was just playing Bruce Wayne from Krypton.

Cap in MCU is much more like Reeves than Cavill will ever be.

Odoul

Maybe I'm weird, or that I'm not a huge comic reader, but I HATE paternalistic always watching perfect Superman.

Superman the movie was a little before my time so I won't say I disliked Reeves but I found him incredibly dry.

STAS version of Supes/Clark was great. Doesn't really himself as above human being, he's just a dude who happens to have Godlike power. The 'S' is a uniform/disguise and he'd go nuts if he had to be him all the time.

And MOS isn't THAT far off. And that also happened to be the first movie of his I wholeheartedly enjoyed.

I find conflicted Supes to be much more interesting than whatever Reeves was doing and what people are expecting. But then again, I don't care much for the character in the first place and he was always boring to me until MoS. Both in the comics and in the animated stuff.

Dude just wants to stay home and fuck Lois, but nooo some idiot needs to be saved. I'd be pretty pissed too. You seen Amy Adams? Goddamn.

And yes AA was distractingly smangable in BvS.

On Justice League with the ending of BvS being what it was, I wonder if/hope Superman is going to get a different look.

A mullet.

Or a buzzcut.

Or a full blown out beard/stache*.

Since time fuckery was introduced maybe it's not the present but the far future where he resurrects and has to find a way back
like in that one JLU episode.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like bearded Supes.

50068107860.jpg

That's... that's kind of exactly what happened.

He meets Falcone, and understands there is a bigger problem. That's the purpose of that scene. He doesn't run away lost. That's the deciding moment where he decides he needs to do something, and begins his journey to Batman.

not really. he had no idea what he was doing until ra's put the idea into his head. he roamed around trying to understand crime and criminals, i guess he learned how to fight somewhere, but ra's himself tells him he is "truly lost." some training and inspiring one-liners later and boom, he comes up with batman. i don't care for that interpretation in comparison to how some comics have portrayed it.

eitherway that's a relatively minor criticism in comparison to the bad 3rd act and seizure inducing fight scenes.

You guys dissing Begins?
I am deeply offended. It's the best Comic book movie in my opinion. Well origins at least.

DC should do teasers like Begins did with the Joker Card, it was perfect and didn't feel forced.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
You guys dissing Begins?
I am deeply offended. It's the best Comic book movie in my opinion. Well origins at least.

DC should do teasers like Begins did with the Joker Card, it was perfect and didn't feel forced.

"Your favorite thing sucks".

They should not do any teases at all, since they are clearly trying to differentiate themselves from Marvel. Just have it all self-contained. I'd like that.

Penguin

GAF is on something special this weekend

Bane sucks in TDKR
Begins isn't a good movie
Reeve is boring as Superman

I swear if someone starts a BTAS is overrated thread... I will burn this place down!

"Your favorite thing sucks".

They should not do any teases at all, since they are clearly trying to differentiate themselves from Marvel. Just have it all self-contained. I'd like that.
They don't need after credit teases, but they clearly are trying to tease since MoS and BvS both had teases of some sorts. No one would think they were copying Marvel if their tease were during the main story. Besides, Begins did it first then Marvel

Edit: I just realized something, did Superman have a beard growing when he talked to his dead dad? Then shaved before facing batman?

They don't need after credit teases, but they clearly are trying to tease since MoS and BvS both had teases of some sorts. No one would think they were copying Marvel if their tease were during the main story. Besides, Begins did it first then Marvel

Edit: I just realized something, did Superman have a beard growing when he talked to his dead dad? Then shaved before facing batman?

Yes he did.

Cipherr

Man, Nolan really got Batman in Batman Begins, and I don't know what went wrong after that.

This is Batman. https://t.co/b9v5vuz0PN

You shouldn't be allowed to link that with a timestamp that doesnt start at the beginning. That entire clip especially with him handing him the card for the setup of the sequel is the greatest of all time. A better setup than any after credits scene in the MCU period.

It's so organic and I fucking FLIPPED when he turned the card over man. Fucking Christ that movie was good.

TDKR disappointed me and had its problems but I'm still pretty damn strong on the trilogy as a whole.

I appreciate it even more now in this current comic book movie climate. It seems so unfathomable that movies like that untouched by WB/Disney and allowing Nolan to mess around like that can ever happen again with these characters.

Plus I think it has the best ensemble overall when you look at the cast list. Damn shame they didn't modulate bale's voice. That would have helped matters considerably

IconGrist

So now with people dissecting bootleg cuts of BvS, it's come out that Lex is in Belle Reve.

Wonder if he cameos in Suicide Squad.

Ayer wanted Eisenberg's Lex to have a small part in SS. Don't know if WB made that happen or not.

And Begins is the best Batman live action movie. Affleck is best live action Batman. Reeve Superman is great for a version of Superman that no longer exists.

TDKR Bane sucked though. I can't help that one.

Honestly? I've enjoyed Superman's arc here through MoS and BvS, it's addressed some very interesting questions surrounding and issues with the character, but it's time for him to step into the sun, as it were. And he's got a great reason! Not only has he finally conquered his self-doubt, he died. He needs to be more confident, and yeah, more cheerful. They should definitely avoid going the full Marvel route, with him cracking jokes at inopportune moments, but... this should be a man who's made his peace with the world.

Also a strong contrast to Batman who is literally at war with it.

IconGrist

Honestly? I've enjoyed Superman's arc here through MoS and BvS, it's addressed some very interesting questions surrounding and issues with the character, but it's time for him to step into the sun, as it were. And he's got a great reason! Not only has he finally conquered his self-doubt, he died. He needs to be more confident, and yeah, more cheerful. They should definitely avoid going the full Marvel route, with him cracking jokes at inopportune moments, but... this should be a man who's made his peace with the world.

Also a strong contrast to Batman who is literally at war with it.

Superman tends to only quip around his love interests and Batman when he's being extra cranky. They should keep to that.

Raptor

Also not because I dont want to watch my favorite superhero alawys being sad and depressed means I want to watch him cracking jokes 24/7.

I love MoS and I love BvS Im just saying, maybe let him be a little, let him be at peace lol.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I finally have the comparison I was searching for after watching Batman v Superman. The movie feels like an "Agent Carter" mid season break sandwiched between MoS and what should've been MoS2 later this year or next year. I just don't feel like it told enough of a story to warrant it's own big budget stand alone movie. I just saw Civil War last night and it tells more story, has better character development, and just feels more cohesive in the same 2.5 hour run time. BvS just always felt like something was missing. I dunno if that makes any sense to you guys, but it's just this gut feeling I has as soon as the movie was over. I still enjoyed it and loved parts of it, but something was off.

Not straight up Tony Stark jokes no, not that, but maybe more scenes like him and Lois in the bathtube, that was awesome.
Their was this Carl Jr. Commercial I think where superman makes a little bit of a mess and then gives this face "hehe oops". That's what I want from Supes, but their not letting Henry do that

Ninjimbo

I can't get behind Begins being the best Batman film. TDK is far superior in nearly every way. As far as origins go, Begins is definitely on top with Iron Man 1 right behind it. Were it not for a mediocre and derivative climax, Iron Man 1 would be an all-timer for me. Begins nails that third act with a bulls eye.

Boke1879

Their was this Carl Jr. Commercial I think where superman makes a little bit of a mess and then gives this face "hehe oops". That's what I want from Supes, but their not letting Henry do that

I appreciate the story they are trying to tell about a Superman struggling with who he is and the world around him. That said in JL he should definitely be more of the Supes we know. And they should definitely let Cavill bring some of his humor to the character. I think it would do wonders.

GAF is on something special this weekend

Bane sucks in TDKR
Begins isn't a good movie
Reeve is boring as Superman

I swear if someone starts a BTAS is overrated thread... I will burn this place down!

The amount of really good episodes is less than I remember.

HARDAC sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom