• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Still don't get how the budget was 250 million for BvS after watching the Dark Knight trilogy.

I heard they actually lie about the budget nowadays. Apparently the last Pirates of the Caribbean actually cost like $410 million. I wouldn't be surprised if BvS cost at LEAST $300 million even though they tell us it's $250.

SJRB

Gold Member
TDKR practical effects often look pretty terrible though. There are so many "cheap" looking sequences in the movie, I don't understand how no one told Nolan to wake the hell up.

Literally every scene with the mercenaries' Tumblers look silly. That sequence where the Tumbler shoots Blackgate Prison's gate? That's some Power Rangers shit.
Aside from the frozen river sequence with Gordon, all the winter landscaping looks extremely mediocre. Throwing some white powder left and right does not make it winter. Also, snow doesn't fucking work like that.
And the Batwing chase scenes where it's obvious that it's on a rig.

And when he goes digital with his effects, the quality isn't great either. The collapsed stadium looks very poor, as do the blown up bridges.

TDKR is such a bizarre movie in so many ways.

TDKR practical effects often look pretty terrible though. There are so many "cheap" looking sequences in the movie, I don't understand how no one told Nolan to wake the hell up.

Literally every scene with the mercenaries' Tumblers look silly. That sequence where the Tumbler shoots Blackgate Prison's gate? That's some Power Rangers shit.
Aside from the frozen river sequence with Gordon, all the winter landscaping looks extremely mediocre. Throwing some white powder left and right does not make it winter. Also, snow doesn't fucking work like that.
And the Batwing chase scenes where it's obvious that it's on a rig.

And when he goes digital with his effects, the quality isn't great either. The collapsed stadium looks very poor, as do the blown up bridges.

TDKR is such a bizarre movie in so many ways.

I agree. I know the fake snow and Pittsburgh sticking out like a sore thumb bothered me. I'm from PA though.

TDKR was a bit weird.

Anybody else felt the same about BvS? I thought it looked really cheap some places, especially certain scenes having a too obvious green screen. Anyways I just hope JL looks better, the Cinematography in BvS was too inconsistent to be consider bad or good. It's in the middle.

TDKR was a bit weird.

Anybody else felt the same about BvS? I thought it looked really cheap some places, especially certain scenes having a too obvious green screen. Anyways I just hope JL looks better, the Cinematography in BvS was too inconsistent to be consider bad or good. It's in the middle.

I worry JL will look worse if Zack was being truthful about most of it being filmed on a sound stage, especially outdoor scenes. He was talking about the logistics of shutting down city streets and not wanting to deal with it again, so they just built city sets on the sound stages of London. It's going to drive me crazy.

Green screen stuff can be inconsistent, be it the effects or composition. Thought Fong delivered in most places but when it sticks out, it sticks out. For instance, when I saw this shot in the second trailer, it looked flat and I could imagine the trinity with a green screen in the back. Sure enough,

64vKBPq.jpg

9wwQyNW.jpg

At the same time, other shots in that very scene look quite nice. I suppose there's a diminishing effect with superheros, wanting to showcase their super-ness will end up being CG anyway.

IconGrist

Green screen stuff can be inconsistent, be it the effects or composition. Thought Fong delivered in most places but when it sticks out, it sticks out. For instance, when I saw this shot in the second trailer, it looked flat and I could imagine the trinity with a green screen in the back. Sure enough,

At the same time, other shots in that very scene look quite nice. I suppose there's a diminishing effect with superheros, wanting to showcase their super-ness will end up being CG anyway.

Quality of the shot aside I fucking loved they put Diana up front.

BadAss2961

Never liked that shot. One of the few times Snyder/Fong disappointed me visually, especially because of the importance of it with the Trinity.

Still beats an airport.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
TDKR was a bit weird.

Nope, looked great imo. Especially in the third act with the fight in Gotham. Same goes for TDKR, if anything the cinematography is topnotch in these DC movies.

Ahasverus

Never liked that shot. One of the few times Snyder/Fong disappointed me visually, especially because of the importance of it with the Trinity.

Still beats an airport.
Yep, felt a bit unispired in a film with gorgeus cinematography.

That said, that shot of them retrieving Superman's
corpse
was amazing. It really felt inspired by christian paintings.

Firemind

You know what I was impressed by? The painting. I couldn't see it clearly when it was upside down, but when the FBI confiscated the place, the music played and the camera zoomed in on what I believe is Satan? Chills.

Anyone know if it's a real painting?

Ahasverus

You know what I was impressed by? The painting. I couldn't see it clearly when it was upside down, but when the FBI confiscated the place, the music played and the camera zoomed in on what I believe is Satan? Chills.
Absolutely. I'd argue it's the best scene of the movie.

BadAss2961

Yep, felt a bit unispired in a film with gorgeus cinematography.

That said, that shot of them retrieving Superman's
corpse
was amazing. It really felt inspired by christian paintings.
It's mostly a CG thing though, so that shot doesn't rest on Fong.

And yeah, the movie looks great most of the way. The Batman/Superman fight is stunning. Real "next-gen" stuff for the genre.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Anyone know if it's a real painting?

The demon one in Luthor's office? Zack painted it himself
kidding, but I would not be surprised

I loved the shot of the girl pointing at the building and the camera moving and showing the destroyed building. Also the shot of Bats in the rain.

Firemind

Speaking of Batman in the rain, you know the shot when Batman and Superman walk to each other and they stop when they face each other man to man before Supes pushes him to the ground? You can see the intensity of Batman. He shows his teeth and you can visibly see his head shaking like a raging pitbull on a leash trying to bite the balls off an innocent bystander. That's when I knew Batman was not to be messed with.

Yeah, it's not really acknowledged often but as far as Toys & Marketing go, WW was front and center. I felt like she was the first powerful woman we saw on screen. Her 5 mins or so of action made me more excited than Black Widow, Storm, Jean Grey and even Catwoman combined. To me this felt like the first time we got a real female super hero. She wasn't doing anything ultra feminine or tropey, she took the hits like the champ and gave it back in equal parts.

I was happy to see her getting full sized models in the toy section at chain stores, but it's not really given any attention, like the lack of Gamora or Rey toys were. I heard that Gal ad libbed some of her lines and I love that, she brings a lot of enthusiasm to the role and it often shows through in the movie.

Speaking of Batman in the rain, you know the shot when Batman and Superman walk to each other and they stop when they face each other man to man before Supes pushes him to the ground? You can see the intensity of Batman. He shows his teeth and you can visibly see his head shaking like a raging pitbull on a leash trying to bite the balls off an innocent bystander. That's when I knew Batman was not to be messed with.

batfleck da god

Your criticism was that he ran away after trying to murder Joe Chill and was lost, and without purpose. That's simply wrong. He knew what he had to do. The issue was how. The opening scene of the movie has Bruce saying he considers those criminals practice. You see flashbacks where he's in the criminal world and beginning to understand what drives them. He clearly has a purpose. That's the beginning of his journey. He leaves when he's a college student and we catch up with him many years later where he's already come to understand the criminal mind to an extent, and is able to defend himself.

Ra's purpose was to teach him how to channel his anger correctly. Bruce's heart was already in the right place. That's why his sudden refusal to execute the prisoner catches Ra's off guard. That's the character's agency. Ra's may have guided him, but Bruce always had a clear purpose as soon as he threw away the gun. It's not the idea of theatricality or a man in a costume that matters. The theme of the movie, and in part the trilogy, is about having the will to act.

And the third act is great.

we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. especially the quality of the 3rd act. i cringe thinking about oldman in the batmobile fist pumping

Odoul

Agreed. I get the sense out of all of BvS, Wonder Woman had the universally positive reception. One could hope it bodes well for her own film.

People call it forced but I loved the way WW was handled in BvS.

That picture when the music hit was one of my favorite bits of the movie.

In fact the only cameo that I didn't care for was Cyborgs and that's because it didn't make sense in the context of pictures/lucky camera opportunities of the others.

Loxley

I agree. I know the fake snow and Pittsburgh sticking out like a sore thumb bothered me. I'm from PA though.

Heh, I was in college in Cleveland when The Avengers and Winter Soldier were filmed there. It's always funny to see recognizable landmarks in the background. The "Stuttgart, Germany" scene where Loki makes everyone kneel was all Cleveland (a classmate of mine was actually an extra in the background of one of the shots).

The famed Nick Fury chase from Winter Soldier was all downtown Cleveland as well, I always recognize a number of the bus stops that get demolished in that sequence lol.

Anth0ny

Agreed. I get the sense out of all of BvS, Wonder Woman had the universally positive reception. One could hope it bodes well for her own film.

Reception on the major characters, from what I've gathered...

Wonder Woman: universally positive but "she was barely in it derp"

Batman: universally positive but "he
is a serial killer
derrrrrrrrrp"

Superman: universally pretty negative

Luthor: universally very negative

Ross61

I seeing complaints about Batman's involvement in the film. Like more than half of the villains that make up the known team are Batman villains. And that's not even including Joker, plus Katana's affiliation with Batman. Its makes sense.

jey_16

Banned
the trinity coming together should have been the money shot of the film but instead they spoiled it in the trailer and it had no emotional impact for me. Say what you will about Marvel, but despite the so-so writing and captains terrible costume, this was fantastic. Even the music was great for once

I seeing complaints about Batman's involvement in the film. Like more than half of the villains that make up the known team are Batman villains. And that's not even including Joker, plus Katana's affiliation with Batman. Its makes sense.

Katana is a loose association, not too many people care about the outsiders or her affliation to it. Harley/Joker are the biggest links, croc doesn't seem to be a big role, I actually wouldn't be surprised if he bites the dust because there isn't any compelling role for him in the Bat movies.

I'm only disappointed that Bronze Tiger isn't in it. If Flag dies I'd like to see Bronze Tiger for the second film.

If it ends up Bat centric I won't mind too much, I just want the dceu to get rolling and unfortunately BvS didn't have that effect.

Rooster12

Killer Shark would have been nice...probably would have been a fan favorite

Katana is a loose association, not too many people care about the outsiders or her affliation to it. Harley/Joker are the biggest links, croc doesn't seem to be a big role, I actually wouldn't be surprised if he bites the dust because there isn't any compelling role for him in the Bat movies.

My thoughts,
Croc + Enchantress shenanigans =

Firemind

the trinity coming together should have been the money shot of the film but instead they spoiled it in the trailer and it had no emotional impact for me. Say what you will about Marvel, but despite the so-so writing and captains terrible costume, this was fantastic. Even the music was great for once
"so, this all seems horrible."
"i've seen worse."
"sorry."
"no, we could... use... a little worse."
"stark, we got em."
"banner."
"just like you said."
"and tell him to suit up. i'm bringing the party to you."
"i...i don't see how it's a party."

333.gif

can black widow die already? i mean i love scarlett johansson but dear god

Saving that for Justice League.

Have we talked about "Tell that to Zod's Snapped neck" yet?

Cause I'm dying on the floor laughing

You know the thing that gets me about some of these "fan improvements"? If any of them actually got into the movie, they'd be fucking slaughtered. Imagine how hard we'd be shitting on Terrio if "Zod's snapped neck" was a real thing.

Ross61

That "You thought a pair of glasses could fool the world's greatest detective?" line could have made this one of the greatest movies of all time. Could you imagine the amount of Academy Awards that it would have been nominated for if it put that single line in the film?????????????????? ITS BRILLIANT.

Damnnnnnn, and people call the BvS script shit lmaooooo. This thing doesn't even keep in line with the plot to that point. Supes is fighting Batman to save his mom, not to smirk and be a douche about Batman being brave or killing people.

Also, you wanna know a surefire way to let people know you are writing fan-fiction? Include a "That's rich" retort for one of your characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom