• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

What does a "light" movie in Snyder's eyes look like though? Maybe something like his owl movie? I never saw it but I've heard even that movie is a bit over the top in its intensity.

I question how well things will turn out if WB decides to force Snyder into a box. Everyone is expecting WB to tighten their leash on him but is that possible? All of his movies carry a similar bleak or oppressive tone in varying degrees. Part of me wonders if BvS is actually a clear example of what it's like when Snyder is forced to answer to producer mandates. The Justice League foreshadowing screams of that. He wasn't sure how to really weave it in so he just dropped it in the audience's lap like a wet fish. As much as I dislike his work, maybe it'd be better if WB just let him do his thing. I probably wouldn't like it but I don't know if I'll enjoy the alternative. Like they say, better the devil you know and all that.

That's a good point. Odd as it may seem Snyder's lightest movie was 300. That's about all we have to measure. On the flip side, maybe light is something he'll excel at and even though he loves dark it's just not his thing. You never know with Snyder, lol. Guy is like those mystery toy boxes. Never quite sure what you're going to get. I do think trying to put him on a leash will yield even worse results. Last time that happened we got Sucker Punch.

Lol, holy shit was Amboyer even in the movie? I honestly can't remember.

So, what other movies are you guys looking forward to this year besides Suicide Squad? For me it's The Nice Guys and Bourne 5.

Xmen, nice guys, Bourne, light between oceans, that movie with Casey affleck, assassins creed, rogue one, birth of a nation

Likely will be a bunch of other movies too that I end up loving which I haven't followed at all

Kibbles

New Suicide Squad merch apparently
tumblr_o6l5eyWjpZ1tysvr9o1_1280.jpg

KonradLaw

So, what other movies are you guys looking forward to this year besides Suicide Squad? For me it's The Nice Guys and Bourne 5.

John Wick 2. Fantastic Beasts and maybe Bourne 5. I might also go see Doctor Strange. It's been a long while since I saw anything from Marvel in cinemas, but I have a weak spot for magic :)

Ninjimbo

What does a "light" movie in Snyder's eyes look like though? Maybe something like his owl movie? I never saw it but I've heard even that movie is a bit over the top in its intensity.

I question how well things will turn out if WB decides to force Snyder into a box. Everyone is expecting WB to tighten their leash on him but is that possible? All of his movies carry a similar bleak or oppressive tone in varying degrees. Part of me wonders if BvS is actually a clear example of what it's like when Snyder is forced to answer to producer mandates. The Justice League foreshadowing screams of that. He wasn't sure how to really weave it in so he just dropped it in the audience's lap like a wet fish. As much as I dislike his work, maybe it'd be better if WB just let him do his thing. I probably wouldn't like it but I don't know if I'll enjoy the alternative. Like they say, better the devil you know and all that.
Snyder's lightest movie is either Guardians or Dawn of the Dead.

Guardians is supposed to be a kids movie and for the most part it is. The story is a typical hero story involving owls that wage warfare on one another. I don't remember the movie ever being too intense anything, but it does take its premise seriously. When the Owls throw down, they do so with armor and metal claws and shit. Some characters die I think, but it's more like the final act of the Lion King. Nothing too strong is ever directly shown but all the implications are there.

Dawn of the Dead is pretty light mostly because Snyder worked with a script by James Gunn. It has that one moment where things feel real (zombie baby!) but other than that, it's a movie loaded with jokes and jabs at the genre and it all works. Who knows? Maybe Justice League might feel a lot like this film.

Anyways, I just want to see Snyder do Snyder because I like his style and this genre could use the variety. My hope is that WB said those things about supervising Snyder to please the mob. In reality they just let the dude deliver his movie the way he wants it and then go rethink things if things need rethinking after JL. It's not like people aren't going to go watch the movie.

Too many people care about these characters to just ignore them.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Good calls, forgot about movies like Neon Demon and Light Between the Oceans. Looking forward to those as well.

In the MoS2, I would like to see the relationship between Lex and his father. From what we got in BvS his dad wasn't the nicest man around and physically hurt Lex during his childhood. Hope they'll do something with that.

Neither here nor there, I finished watching Trainwreck (slow ball down the center BvS zinger here) and Ezra Miller's role in it...Boy, here I thought We Need to Talk about Kevin made it tough to see him as good natured Barry.

Penguin

*Lights matches*

Willem Dafoe is playing Cleric in Justice League. He brings Superman back to life.
The opening scene of Justice League takes place in a apocalyptic future. Batman doesn't return and Barry and the resistance assume he is dead. The resistance members are Flash, Aquaman, Mera, Black Canary, Cyborg and Wonder Woman. Eventually the resistance get attacked and killed by Darkseid's forces and Barry travels back in time to give Bruce a warning about the future.
Atlanteans and Amazons hate each other due to a huge war that took place ages ago.
Barry and Victor went to the same high school.
Amanda Waller has a small role in Justice League.
Scott Snyder recently submitted a script for the Man of Steel sequel. The early script has Parasite and General Sam Lane as main antagonist and Manchester Black having a cameo.
Cyborg's movie is going to be replaced by Titans and will be moved to October, 2020. The Man of Steel sequel is expected to take its release date.
A Crime Syndicate movie has been discussed which would lead to them being the villains for Justice League 3.
Warner Bros wants another Batman trilogy with Ben Affleck directing.
There are no plans to release a Justice League Dark movie anytime soon.

New 4Chan rumors
http://boards.4chan.org/co/thread/82439514/dceu-spoilers#p82439514

*Sets the thread on fire and laughs maniacally*

IconGrist

bryanee

You know there is shit all news doing the rounds when the "leaks" start coming out. I do like that leak though lol.

a916

I'm reading that right? Scott Snyder?

I hope it's true only because of Crime Syndicate. That would be so dope.

Scott Snyder? The batman writer
wrote a Superman movie... why on Earth is he not helping with the Batman movie? LOL

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
You know there is shit all news doing the rounds when the "leaks" start coming out. I do like that leak though lol.

Yeah...here we go, again! Luckily JL is next year and we have two movies before it hits.

The opening scene taking place in that Knightmare scenario sounds like something Snyder would do but that's a thing that doesn't need fleshing out. The only people who didn't understand that scene were the people who didn't immediately recognize that as The Flash. No reason to go back to it.
Yeah, everyone I knew did not understand the Knightmare scene and who was the dude in red. Hell even I got confuse of the Flash, he looked weird with a mustache.
Which is understandable since that was a unnecessary scene that did not add much, it was pretty establish that Batman was not liking Superman. That was just overkill and just seem to be added because "it's cool".

Also I'm sure some rumors will be debunk with Suicide Squad, I have a feeling that movie will lead into justice league some way.

Tabby

Scott Snyder? The batman writer
wrote a Superman movie... why on Earth is he not helping with the Batman movie? LOL

I trust Affleck and Johns to make a good Batman movie. I'm sure a Superman movie needs all the help that it can get.

Ninjimbo

Those leaks sound awesome, but as always, I can't believe any of them haha.

I'm disappointed JL Dark isn't going to become a thing. I imagine we would have heard something by now if anything had materialized.

jey_16

Banned
. In reality they just let the dude deliver his movie the way he wants it and then go rethink things if things need rethinking after JL. It's not like people aren't going to go watch the movie.

Too many people care about these characters to just ignore them.

you still need to produce a good film....look at the difference in the box office performance of Civil War against BvS, potentially we are looking at a captain america film doubling a Batman/Superman film!

WB has to be disappointed with the box office performance and they are going to make changes for JL

Tabby

It wasn't great either, though, but for a Superman movie, "not bad" is I guess all we can really hope for :p

Heh. Nice.

Man I just want a good Superman movie. Anything to stop people from seeing Superman as a "boring" superhero. He's the superhero, how hasn't he gotten a good movie since the 60s?

MisterHero

you still need to produce a good film....look at the difference in the box office performance of Civil War against BvS, potentially we are looking at a captain america film doubling a Batman/Superman film!

WB has to be disappointed with the box office performance and they are going to make changes for JL
Captain America + more or less the amount of Avengers in AoU + Spider-Man. Ignoring that all 3 Cap movies are the best in MCU so far, outside of GotG. It always had the superior marketability.

BvS made some unpopular choices plot-wise but they were deliberate. Even if that didn't turn into complaints about technical quality, the marketability of the film is in question when you know an R-rated cut exists. It literally isn't made for the same audience (for better or worse).

Deadpool doesn't belong in that discussion even though it's rated R. It's a well-made movie (one of the GOAT IMO), but it is also unapologetic for all the sex and violence. Kids appreciate that stuff.

13098947_1062620030495063_816431232_n.jpg

You can stop now, Henry.
He's lifting it with his magic beard.

Ninjimbo

Eh, I just want Snyder to make JL without restrictions. I would rather have WB make something I like than chase money. Marvel can have their billions. I don't really care for the Marvel vs DC contest.

Author of American Psycho. Pretty surprising he would pick BvS.

BadAss2961

The opening scene taking place in that Knightmare scenario sounds like something Snyder would do but that's a thing that doesn't need fleshing out. The only people who didn't understand that scene were the people who didn't immediately recognize that as The Flash. No reason to go back to it.
To entertain this idea for a moment... They don't have to revisit it, but I wouldn't mind going back to the Knightmare to kick off Justice League. I don't think it would be about fleshing things out... More about bridging the gap between BvS and JL without exposition. It's also one way to start out with a big action scene. The sequence could end with Flash's appearance in BvS, but maybe cut straight to Bruce in present day instead of repeating the whole scene. Contemplating the warning as he's in the batcave with Alfred scoping out metahumans or something.

Though if they did this, I imagine Knightmare Supes would be shown again. Doing what? Could be a few things.

Effect

MARVELS is pretty much the Marvel version of Kingdom Come right? Both have Alex Ross art. I've never read it. How does it compare to Kingdom Come? Not at as good? I never really hear or read people talking about it.

MARVELS is pretty much the Marvel version of Kingdom Come right? Both have Alex Ross art. I've never read it. How does it compare to Kingdom Come? Not at as good? I never really hear or read people talking about it.

Not as good, but that's more about Kingdom Come than it is about Marvels. It's pretty good.

Its really good. However in a sense The marvel version of Kingdom come should be Earth X, universe X etc series since its one of the potential future of the Marvel comics while Marvels is about the history of Marvel comics from the eyes of normal humans.

shingi70

Banned

Marvels and it's sequel are a look at the events of the 616 with the real time progression before it froze in the late 80s/90s. It's from a different writer and is more of the real world look at the Superheroes showing up in force, from the Golden Age to Modern Times.

IconGrist

US Netflix put up the Chris Evans/Jessica Alba Fantastic Four movie the other day. I hadn't seen it in a while so I watched it. Really wasn't bad. Effects were super cheap and the plot was cookie cutter as fuck for a comic book movie but it was enjoyable. Had some decent laughs. Am I nuts or is this another movie that just gets piled on undeservedly?

US Netflix put up the Chris Evans/Jessica Alba Fantastic Four movie the other day. I hadn't seen it in a while so I watched it. Really wasn't bad. Effects were super cheap and the plot was cookie cutter as fuck for a comic book movie but it was enjoyable. Had some decent laughs. Am I nuts or is this another movie that just gets piled on undeservedly?
Its shit. The sequel is even worst.
I still prefer the 1st FF to BVS but that is beside the point.

Effect

Not as good, but that's more about Kingdom Come than it is about Marvels. It's pretty good.

Its really good. However in a sense The marvel version of Kingdom come should be Earth X, universe X etc series since its one of the potential future of the Marvel comics while Marvels is about the history of Marvel comics from the eyes of normal humans.

Marvels and it's sequel are a look at the events of the 616 with the real time progression before it froze in the late 80s/90s. It's from a different writer and is more of the real world look at the Superheroes showing up in force, from the Golden Age to Modern Times.

Ah I see. Thanks! Hadn't realized that was the story behind Marvels.

It's alright. On the spectrum of comic films, it's on that Thor 1 vapid and inoffensive entertainment level. And during that early-2000 boom of comic films, there were certainly worse options. Now that Silver Surfer sequel, did not like it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom